Question: What armour would you suggest?

Goosfraba

Mature
Society
Victory
Lunareth Luna Moon
While I am a long way from needing a upgrade in armour I always like to plan ahead.

So I need your help to figure out what armour to aim for. I don't like locking up my peds so if possible I'd like to stick to one or two.

I like using balanced armours and adjust the stats with plates if needed for the mobs I hunt. I don't like having too scattered stats either.

So basically the choices I have limited myself to is:

Knight
Paladin
Adj Musca
Shogun
Gremlin
Viceroy
Mah'ketta

I will most likely stick to mobs that do imp, cut and stab damage. Also I will most likely stick to mobs in the lower to mid tier so think somewhere between exosaurs and atrox in difficulty.

The Viceroy seems like a good choice if you look at the stats and potential to upgrade it, but I am sceptical to the whole can't be traded deal going on with it.

P.S. I don't know what it is about feffoids, but for some reason I have always liked hunting them. Think it is their funny movement, so in the long long run I might need an armour with cold protection. That would also allow me to hunt some feffox from time to time if I just want to see a swirley from time to time

Oh and feel free to suggest what armour plates are good to have in storage. My current armour is the adj harrier with mk.2a plates

Mah'ketta is nice if you want a decent all-round armor that is good for both animals (with 5B plates) and robots (with 6A). But if you plan to stick to ICS then perhaps the robots part doesn't matter for you.

Viceroy is basically a Gremlin, just looks better and can be upgraded (costly), so unless you plan to upgrade or like it too much, can safely go with Gremlin. Or step up and get Ghost, that one will be relevant for you for much longer.

Usually 5B and 6A plates are a must have, but if robots are out of your interest get at least the 5B.

Gremlin or ghost and 6a or 5b works well .. just decide if you like the pretty blue or ugly grey green...

Lich may work for cold if you dont plate up for it. Viking would be nice but it is rare and pricey

Just adding 5b to your adjusted harrier can help a lot by itself...

Last edited:
Thanks guys I appreciate your input makes the decision easier.

Gremlin might be a good start and further down the road I can look at some other choices.

A follow up do you think it is worth tiering up the gremlin and add durability/defence enhancers depending on the situation?

A follow up do you think it is worth tiering up the gremlin and add durability/defence enhancers depending on the situation?

Gremlin is too small armor to bother tiering it and waste enhancers. When you feel it's not enough, just get a Ghost. Armor enhancers are mostly for when the price gap between your current armor and the next is too big or when there is no just no next.

Gremlin is too small armor to bother tiering it and waste enhancers. When you feel it's not enough, just get a Ghost. Armor enhancers are mostly for when the price gap between your current armor and the next is too big or when there is no just no next.

Excellent thanks!

Adjusted Pixie + 5B (or even 5A, since you said you will stick to exarosaur - atrox). Keep skilling your evade, those mobs miss a lot once you reach certain evade level.

You don't need more, don't waste ped. Don't tier anything.

Adjusted Pixie + 5B (or even 5A, since you said you will stick to exarosaur - atrox). Keep skilling your evade, those mobs miss a lot once you reach certain evade level.

You don't need more, don't waste ped. Don't tier anything.

I might be wrong but from what I have been told it is better to avoid using the 5b plates since they aren't very eco (high tt and low durability). Maybe that information isn't correct anymore but I was told back then that it's better to have a better base armor and use more economical plates.

Also the adj musca compared to adj pixie what do you think is the better choice?

Last edited:
1000 points difference in durability amounts to about 1% difference in decay, but most decay is now returned in the loot so using 5b is not a problem at all.

1000 points difference in durability amounts to about 1% difference in decay, but most decay is now returned in the loot so using 5b is not a problem at all.

Perfect! Thanks for the explanation.

Best Armors in your Case are Gremlin or Ghost Imao :scratch2: compared with Plates you will be able to hunt most Mobs from small, upt to Midlevel Mobs :wise:

Greetz

Freddy

You should consider Jarhead or phantom

You should consider Jarhead or phantom

Thanks for the suggestion. I am thinking that will be the next step after ghost/gremlin.

I basically deposit on a monthly basis so as my budget grows I plan on improving gear and hunt bigger. Always trying to stay within a reasonable level with gear and mob based on budget.

I just bought an Augmented Athenic ring... that helps a bit too...

In my opinion, I know it's an expensive option... but Ghoul. I got a set and I love it.

It has a varied amount of protection that makes it suitable for lots of low-mid level creatures (feffoid/feffox yes, aurli too) and it also has similar defence to vigi for robot hunting, albeit with 6A plates.

If you are thinking exa's, I have hunted them a bit too and even at low levels you can do them without armour when using a long ranged weapon. Atrox could be done with adj pixie and 3b or 5b plates, depending on your stats.

Second, and I know someone who swears by it, but Viceroy can be a nice option. You start out with an armour set you can choose to upgrade to adjusted, improved and modified for extra defences.

In my opinion, I know it's an expensive option... but Ghoul. I got a set and I love it.

It has a varied amount of protection that makes it suitable for lots of low-mid level creatures (feffoid/feffox yes, aurli too) and it also has similar defence to vigi for robot hunting, albeit with 6A plates.

If you are thinking exa's, I have hunted them a bit too and even at low levels you can do them without armour when using a long ranged weapon. Atrox could be done with adj pixie and 3b or 5b plates, depending on your stats.

Second, and I know someone who swears by it, but Viceroy can be a nice option. You start out with an armour set you can choose to upgrade to adjusted, improved and modified for extra defences.

Looking at ghoul it seems to be a step up from phantom and have nice stats. So roughly how much of a price difference is it and would it be worth it if you i.e. compare it to other armours in the price range?

What I liked about Viceroy is just that. The fact that you can upgrade your armour when the need arises. Not to mention the evade bonus it offers is appealing.

Also I must admit I am a sucker for design and with that in mind I find the animal armours to be appealing. Such as Bear and Boar, but they tend to be quite pricey.

The ghoul armor is crafted from what I can read on the wiki, is there someone in particular who owns the bps for that and phantom? Would be good to know if it is possible to order one from that person when I am at that stage!

I'd also like to thank everyone that has taken the time to respond to my questions. I really appreciate the helpfulness of this community. :)

Looking at ghoul it seems to be a step up from phantom and have nice stats.

The ghoul armor is crafted from what I can read on the wiki, is there someone in particular who owns the bps for that and phantom? Would be good to know if it is possible to order one from that person when I am at that stage!

There is 1 person in the game that crafts and sells the armour as far as I am aware. If you look on the forums you can find his posts about his armour shop. Just search for ghoul. As it is a step up in costs, a full set costs you about +2500. Maybe less if you gather the materials self and offer it to the crafter to craft it for you.

What I liked about Viceroy is just that. The fact that you can upgrade your armour when the need arises. Not to mention the evade bonus it offers is appealing.

If you don't like the normal Viceroy being avatar-bound (although you can turn it back to the npc for tt value of 400 ped, losing only half of what it costs to get), you certainly won't like forfeiting the 2.8k ped on adjusting, 1.5k ped on improving and another 1.5k ped on modifying. And that's after the upgrade cost/demand dropped 10x times after Loot 2.0, after the +1% crit chance on the Modified stopped being a money maker.

Super bad advice. Gremlin (and now Viceroy) is a great armor, just not totally great for noobs. It is not a beginner's armor. It is a special purpose armor with general protections not so great as to allow players with poor evade to get away with it. It is highly durable, when compared to most lower level armors.

Ghost affords fairly decent general protection, diminishing the problem of lower evade, but it decays like snowflakes in the morning sun. The cost of using ghost is significant. To top it off, it's ugly. Ghost is like a plague of rats: it's gray, and its everywhere. Undiscerning players abound. Don't become just another one of them.

Of the original list, Paladin, Gremlin (Viceroy) and Mah'ketta are of most interest and use.

Thanks for all the comments I think I have a better understanding of how to go about it now. :)

Don't forget that you can get an adjusted Pixie for free once you graduate being a disciple, (or adjusted musca in arkadia, don't remember what other planets give tbh) which would go a long way with a set of plates, especially considering the cost.

Ghost while its an acquired taste apparently (I actually do like it) is a bit of an overkill if you plan on doing mostly small mobs. Granted, decay isn't horrific as it once was but, if you are starting up and building your skills, fapping a bit won't hurt. I assume you have the S10 from the gauntlet?

Shogun is another armor I have a soft spot for, practically no MU and decent all around with some plates on top. Realistically if that isn't big enough you are probably targeting the wrong mobs for your evade / skill level.

And stay away from Atrox till you have enough DPS to fight against their devilish regeneration or you'll pay a LOT more for each kill than you should :)

Don't forget that you can get an adjusted Pixie for free once you graduate being a disciple, (or adjusted musca in arkadia, don't remember what other planets give tbh) which would go a long way with a set of plates, especially considering the cost.

Ghost while its an acquired taste apparently (I actually do like it) is a bit of an overkill if you plan on doing mostly small mobs. Granted, decay isn't horrific as it once was but, if you are starting up and building your skills, fapping a bit won't hurt. I assume you have the S10 from the gauntlet?

Shogun is another armor I have a soft spot for, practically no MU and decent all around with some plates on top. Realistically if that isn't big enough you are probably targeting the wrong mobs for your evade / skill level.

And stay away from Atrox till you have enough DPS to fight against their devilish regeneration or you'll pay a LOT more for each kill than you should :)

I actually like shogun to. The clean stats are nice and offer some flexibility with plates. That's why I also like the very rare Knight and Paladin set. I am a discipline so will get the adjusted pixie. Kind of wish I had picked Arkadia as my home planet since I like the stats on it better. But I am sure I can trade in my adj pixie for a adj musca without too much of a loss.

The armours I am asking about here is more of a mid level armour. At the moment I am doing quite well with the adj harrier with or without the mk. 2a plates.

I am far from being able to hunt atroxes effectively. I mainly mentioned them as a reference to help people understand what level of mob I am aiming for in the long run. At the moment I am doing a mission where I need to kill combibos amongst other things and their small regen is pretty much my limit with my current dps. But you improve so fast early on so it's good to have a goal for me so I know where I am heading with gear and skills.

I am a discipline so will get the adjusted pixie. Kind of wish I had picked Arkadia as my home planet since I like the stats on it better.

AFAIK it doesn't matter what's your home planet, but where you actually finish the discipleship for this or that armor.

AFAIK it doesn't matter what's your home planet, but where you actually finish the discipleship for this or that armor.

Oh cool. I'll give it a go then and finish it on Arkadia once I am done with it. ?

Ghost affords fairly decent general protection, diminishing the problem of lower evade, but it decays like snowflakes in the morning sun. The cost of using ghost is significant.

The cost of using Ghost in the days of Loot 2.0 is same as using a pixie or a shadow, because they all decay only for the actual damage they stopped, and the minimal decay is removed. Pre-2.0 a Ghost was a real catastrophe, which I quickly learned myself in my early days. Not anymore. In 2.0 you can just wear just the biggest armor you own and be fine.

I see you are a returning player, so here's a quote for you:
Armor Changes
  • Armor now decays significantly less per point of damage absorbed.
  • Armor no longer has a minimum decay based on total protection, it will now always decay proportionally to the amount of damage absorbed.
  • Armor can now absorb all incoming damage down to a minimum of 0.1 point of damage taken, instead of the previous 1.0 points of damage.
  • Armor and armor platings now decay independently based on the amount of damage they each actually absorb, rather than both decaying as if absorbing the full amount of received damage.
  • Armor decay is now linear per point of damage absorbed, rather than increasing in cost per damage absorbed.

I see a ton of good advice in this thread, however i see one flaw in all the advice. The advice only goes for UL armors and L is a very viable option too. If your budget is limited and you do not want to "freeze a lot of money into armors" L armors is really a very good option.
Please do not get me wrong i have nothing against UL armors but they were thoroughly discussed before me already.
Why do i say L is a good option too? Well at the level of armors you are looking for there are quite a few L armor options where the MU is under 107% and full sets are not that hard to get. As L armors always offer full defense you will not need to have them always at full TT which further reduces your need for initial investment.
First options that come to mind would be Bear (very easy to get a full set), Boar (different looks almost the same as bear but a bit harder to get a full set), Jaguar. All 3 of these are 107% or cheaper (consider that L armors have around 10 000 more than UL). Tiger is also a good option just a touch more expensive but it has reasonable defense against robots too. If you want to go a bit higher angel or martial could be very good options. Martial is the cheaper and more easily obtainable option. If you need to go even further then Perseus or Lich are the ways to go but those are more expensive yet again. There are other great options of armors too but in many cases obtaining a full set is very tiresome so i do not include those in my advice.

now that you mention it drakil...

i went with viceroy because both of its upgrade options and the unsellability - it's kinda my last armor in EU. :laugh:

for everything else i use the triple P of EU survival - Perseus, Polaris, Pegasus.

it locks way less PEDs than any serious UL armor, and also makes me think at times, if the mob justifies the armor markup, or if i should rather go with a healer.

the sets maybe need to be adjusted for other playstyles, but generally i think that those L armors are awesome.

it's only the availability on some sets that sucks, as some people don't even bother to sell 101-105% parts, they go straight into TT.

So so to make sure I understand this right, according to the quote Svarog posted does that mean that of you compare i.e. a Angel set and Adj Pixie they both decay as much if you get hit with let's say 10 imp dmg? Obviously with some difference I take it based on the armours tt and durability right!?

Also if the armour can handle the full damage taken does the plates you are wearing not decaying then?

Just want to make sure I understand how it works. Because that info Svarog posted radically changes what I knew about armours and clearly shows it is well worth investing in a better armour if it is within budget. Not to mention armours with spread stats aren't as bad anymore. Which as Svarog mentioned makes Ghost and the other "undead" armour sets viable choices. :eyecrazy:

Suspect it's been fixed but toulan used to give full set of its disciple armor plus half a set of adjusted pixie too!

So so to make sure I understand this right, according to the quote Svarog posted does that mean that of you compare i.e. a Angel set and Adj Pixie they both decay as much if you get hit with let's say 10 imp dmg? Obviously with some difference I take it based on the armours tt and durability right!?

Also if the armour can handle the full damage taken does the plates you are wearing not decaying then?

Just want to make sure I understand how it works. Because that info Svarog posted radically changes what I knew about armours and clearly shows it is well worth investing in a better armour if it is within budget. Not to mention armours with spread stats aren't as bad anymore. Which as Svarog mentioned makes Ghost and the other "undead" armour sets viable choices. :eyecrazy:

Dig in history of forum. Someday armor profession is coming that make ul offer full protection til minimum tt like limited does

Back