Suggestion: Option for Removal of Medi-Stims at Land Grab

Captain Jack

Elite
Society
Endgame
RULES OF THIS DISCUSSION

1. Purpose: This thread was created due to the observation of obvious mutual interest of opposing factions, and ALL discussion on this thread need to be kept on topic.

2. NO flaming. If you have a bone to pick with someone individually or categorically take it somewhere else. Keep all posts on topic.

3. NO personal arguments. If you have a bone to pick with someone individually or categorically take it somewhere else. Keep all posts on topic.

4. Use "I" statements to state personal opinions, and let "them" and "they" state their own opinions.

Note; Throughout the thread I will be using "Red Team" and "Blue Team" to refer to the societies involved. For the purpose of this thread it does not matter which society was either color, what matters was the outcome and what can be learned.

February 28th 2020 the fight at Tukuta Plateau was a historic event.

Two opposing factions which have been pitted against each other for over a year had expressed mutual dissatisfaction with the use of Medi-Stims at Land Grab. Through significant diplomatic effort a mutual agreement was made, held together by a fragile strand of trust, not to use medistims at land grab, enforced on the honor system.

Before we move further into the story, allow me to share some amplifying information on why medistims are a problem in the first place. While an infinite number of arguments can be made, three points seem highly compelling and therefor shall be my focal point.

Point 1: Sportsmanship. People come to PvP with a wide range of talent, avatar skills, equipment, and bankroll. Under the current system in which medistims are allowed, bankroll is the most critical of these components. I know several very talented PKers who enjoy the competitive aspects of PvP, but for whom the enjoyment is ruined because someone with deeper pockets can defeat a more talented PKer by simply out-spending them, consuming copious amounts of medistims. I can confirm this to be the case because I am one of those deeper-pocketed players and I have personally done this, defeating specific PKers on the opposing side who I know are objectively better PKers than I am. Despite the advantage this gives me, I acknowledge it does reduce the equity and sportsmanship of the event, and many others agree.

Point 2: Efficacy of Intended Systems. To hold down the fort at Land Grab a society must have at least 1 player on the claim without interruption lasting more than 30 seconds. With the current size and capability of the two primary opposing factions participating at land grab today, and the use of Medi-stims, this can be achieved by simply trickling players in one by one even if they are all dying shortly after reaching the claim. This effectively turns the land grab into a race to hit the claim marker as soon as the MCR is destroyed, and whichever society makes the claim first ultimately wins the land grab. Any further fighting is a futile waste, and we have seen several land grabs turn out this way.
I do not believe this was the intended result when MindArk implemented medistims. This method, too, points back to point 1 in reducing the sportsmanship of the event.

Point 3: Medistim Particle Effects and Lag. The use of a medistim causes a white glow and a lingering aura of particles. When used by multiple players in a PvP environment, this causes significant lag to most players on all graphics settings which gets progressively worse as the land grab progresses. This increases overall frustration of the land grab, reduces fighting efficacy, and overall dissatisfaction with the game.

So what happened the night of February 28th?

The classic rivalry between Red Team and Blue Team continued, with Red Team challenging Blue Team for the land at Tukuta. Red Team blew the MCR and Blue Team took initial control of the claim. Red Team launched a series of coordinated assaults and managed to take the claim from Blue Team. Blue Team counter attacked and retook the claim. The fighting was intense, the balance of power equalized, and both sides held good on their word not to use medistims.

Control of the claim switched from one side to the next over and over again.

Red Team had control of the claim again, and for a longer duration than any of their previous attempts, and Blue Team was launching another strong offensive. With only two members of Red Team remaining on the claim, Blue Team tactically positioned with over a dozen combatants, it appeared that the claim would once more be reset.

Suddenly one member of Red Team was seen running toward the claim. Shots were fired, that member consumed a medi-stim, and continued to advance toward the claim.

The voice channels became very tense.

"Was that intentional? Is the deal off? Are we using medistims now?"

An inquiry was made to the leader of Red Team as to whether the medistim use was accidental or an intentional breach of the agreement. What happened next was an absolute breakdown in communication. In the end both sides reverted to using medistims, and everyone walked off the field feeling a massive sense of disappointment.

The facts:

1. Both Red Team and Blue Team agreed not to use medistims throughout the duration of the land grab.

2. The land grab claim went back and forth between Red Team and Blue Team several times.

3. A member of Red Team used a medistim while Red Team was out numbered at the claim.

4. Communication attempts to resolve the issue failed.

5. Both societies used medistims thereafter.

What I think probably happened (personal opinion here):

1. One member of Red Team made a mistake, probably had the Medistim hotkeyed and accidently pressed that key at a critical moment of land grab.

2. In the heat of the moment, the leader of Red Team likely felt that the inquiry was an accusation. His heated emotional response rapidly elevated tensions between the two sides.

3. As the time was continuing to drag on, other stim-pills (nutristim, devatim, accustim, etc) were expiring on multiple players on both sides. These pills were renewed, causing a similar white glow aura seen on medistims but for a shorter duration. Simultaneously, some of these players were using restoration chips, giving heal over time and giving the perception that medistims were being used.

4. Players from both sides retaliated to the perceived use of medistims by their opponents.

5. After confirmed medistim uses by key players, the breach of agreement became irreversible.

So what can we take away from this?

1. Both sides wanted this land grab to be free of medi-stims.

2. The abstinence of medi-stims resulted in a much more fair fight, evidenced by the back and forth shifting of the claim.

3. The honor system does not work for removing medi-stims from land grab events.

Conclusion:

Even if it is not made categorical across PvP (as has been requested numerous times in the past), there should be at least an option to remove medi-stims from Land Grab events. This could be something as simple as a toggle switch for the current holder of a land area, or a mutual-agreement toggle switch between opposing forces (requiring that a society has won at least 1 land grab to show evidence of having an invested interest in participation).

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

Very respectfully,

Captain Jack.

Last edited:
I would give +Rep if i Could. Get rid of the medistims MA please!!! :)

"I" think 30,000 sweaterians don't know LG/Medistim exist.
"I" think 3,000 crafters never heard of Medistim till now.
"I" think less than 300 hunters ever use Medistim with purpose.
"I" think around 30 ppl doing LG,PK event more often then it used to be.

and someone asking for delete medistim from game
bcos both gang agreed "no use medistim while LG" and they use them against their own pack

its bit harsh to ask them removing medistim from game. arn't ya
just saying:handgun:

bcos both gang agreed "no use medistim while LG" and they use them against their own pack

read again, not from game, just from LG fort events

Yea ok, just my opinion :)

I believe Lucky Jack laid out a much more comprehensive idea behind removing them from PVP, or just from the LG's specifically. They do cause problems for any sort of combat in this game that has so much LAG already built in and really just serve the purpose of making ultimate frustration within the context of PVP.

For hunting i CAN see a purpose for Medistims.

Also with regard to 30 people being your number that have participated in LG presently, I think that number is wrong and could be many more if the LG was actually fun to participate in with regard to the total experience. It CAN be much better that is the point. Many of these players are some of the most dedicated or iconic Entropians that have a real love for the game. The landgrabs in this game have a cool history that has evolved with the game. Many of these players spend countless thousands of peds to get equipped and display their passion for Entropia.

I also wish for MA to make some dedicated servers specifically for the LG's.

It would be nice if they could disable them from PVP in general or atleast Landgrab areas. I guess its possible since they allready have disabled vehicles and mining in certain areas.

Interesting that both teams had them available, clearly both teams brought them, which one used first was just a matter of timing, so neither team can really claim the high ground here.

I wonder if the solution could be that on the claim marker, where you decide if it's PvP or PvE can just have two kinds of PvP, Enhanced or Regular?

Point 1: Thats always gonna be the case in EU. Bankroll > game mechanics because the later basically doesnt exist.
Point 2: I think game mechanics shouldn't be changed all the time because people want them to be different. Players should adapt to what they have and make the best out of it.
Point 3: I personally haven't experienced that kind of lag but its rather a technical then a mechanical issue that should be fixed.

Removing a gameplay feature isnt the right way imo. I could imagine balancing it a bit might be possible. I personally don't like Medistims in assault mayhem (rip) either and think both PvP and Mayhem could be balanced by adding a cooldown to Medistims.
Do you think cooldowns on them would help with the mentioned PvP issues?

...suddenly one member of Red Team was seen running toward the claim. Shots were fired...

Just reading that one line alone I feel this should be made into a movie...ARE YOU LISTENING HOLLYWOOD!

Interesting that both teams had them available, clearly both teams brought them, which one used first was just a matter of timing, so neither team can really claim the high ground here.

I wonder if the solution could be that on the claim marker, where you decide if it's PvP or PvE can just have two kinds of PvP, Enhanced or Regular?

I don't think either team is trying to claim the high ground here. Both teams brought them because of an inherent mistrust between conflicting factions. I don't blame anybody on either side for that inherent mistrust.

Yes, what you are suggesting about deciding at the marker is the kind of solution I am looking for here.

….
Do you think cooldowns on them would help with the mentioned PvP issues?

Yes, cooldowns would be another potential solution here. Great suggestion!

what happend with Rufus Deathhouse

next time come at takuta and u will see how many ppl care and how many money they spend, i bet more than u do per year ;)

unknown.png

1 LG in takuta 325k ammo spending?
per year you talking?
nice one try another joke :p
you are so full of it "unkown avatar"

ps. its only global count so he saying LG-takuta 5m~10m ped cycle or idk

Last edited by a moderator:
unknown.png

1 LG in takuta 325k ammo spending?
per year you talking?
nice one try another joke :p
you are so full of it "unkown avatar"

ps. its only global count so he saying LG-takuta 5m~10m ped cycle or idk

Hey DC, we dont cycle at LG, we spend. So cycle 325k ped a year in ammo with 90% return is 32.5k spent.

The last takuta battle lasted 3h and ppl spent 1k-1.5k ammo + enhancers + pills and high MU guns and armors. About 60ppl there, so i think Im safe to say we spent 75k+ during this LG.

As for the medistims I think they should be unusable in all pvp zones.

Best regards,
Lars

Hey DC, we dont cycle at LG, we spend. So cycle 325k ped a year in ammo with 90% return is 32.5k spent.

The last takuta battle lasted 3h and ppl spent 1k-1.5k ammo + enhancers + pills and high MU guns and armors. About 60ppl there, so i think Im safe to say we spent 75k+ during this LG.

As for the medistims I think they should be unusable in all pvp zones.

Best regards,
Lars

thanks i still didn't recieved pos for elaina's basement

keep trying hostile

why did u change ur mind

no regards, from ME

btw nice ammo spending right there on simple 1 LG
that tremendous 75k spending(your presumption)
is way higher than my yearly spend

you guys are rockin the game
clearly u guys using lots of peds in LG
now i will go some place, shut up and grind for nothing
im bit scared to talk with ya'll, spending 75k ammo for killing other ppl for tax income
still not even close to my yearly spend

next time come at takuta and u will see how many ppl care and how many money they spend, i bet more than u do per year ;)

GLLG
means good luck in landgrab

Last edited by a moderator:

And "I" think those 30 ppl in LG burn and cycle more than those 30k sweater+3k crafters. How about that?

In terms of spending, that LG did last a lot longer than normal, claim flipped a few times when medistims were not being used. It would be nice if they were just not usable in pvp, the landgrab was actually fun without them. I know personally they make me lag on my laptop. The simple solution is that they just are not usable at the land grabs or pvp in general. Its not fun having to kill someone 10x over, or die because you dont want to use a medi. Quite a bit of ped gets spent at the landgrabs, so that being said it would be nice if some of the issues got addressed. Medis and safe zone being right next to claim... not good. Hopefully something can be done, reaching agreements or mutual understandings is fine, Im more than happy to converse or talk things out, because in the end I think most on both sides want the same thing, pvp with no drama and just a break from mindless grinding.

This just proves that all its takes is just one person to turn everything into a s******w.
Obviously neither faction can trust each other to stick to the agreed upon rules.

Removing medistims will prob mean MA remove from all PvP, we need to be realistic, MA go the easiest route and we have seen this with a lot of things. What your petitioning for is going to ruin the only real use for these things other than mayhem events. Also knowing MA, it will be all pills, not just medistims...as again its prob easier to have it filtered that way.

Just saying, be careful what you wish (petition) for when it comes to MA.

This just proves that all its takes is just one person to turn everything into a s******w.
Obviously neither faction can trust each other to stick to the agreed upon rules.

Removing medistims will prob mean MA remove from all PvP, we need to be realistic, MA go the easiest route and we have seen this with a lot of things. What your petitioning for is going to ruin the only real use for these things other than mayhem events. Also knowing MA, it will be all pills, not just medistims...as again its prob easier to have it filtered that way.

Just saying, be careful what you wish (petition) for when it comes to MA.

Honestly the removal of medistims from PvP categorically would make a lot of PKers happy. However, PvP zones are not exclusive to PKers. There are also miners and a small handful of hunters who enjoy partaking in the rewards to be had with the high risk of lootable PvP areas, who have no interest in PKing. To those individuals medistims are beneficial to assist them in escaping with their loot intact.

Land Grab, on the other hand, is an event exclusively participated in by PKers.

For this reason, while I would welcome the removal of medistims from PvP categorically, I have chosen to petition for the removal of medistims in land grab events for the sake of equity.

How often do you even see people hunting with medistims anyway, the only time I ever see them used is in pvp, either get rid of these items in pvp, or we need weapons that just simply do enough dmg to one shot people, or some on hit effect that reduces healing effectiveness. A 1v1 fight should not be dictated by who pops a pill and who does not.

Let's Bump this up, please remove these infernal garbage pills from PVP.

Back