Info: A Guide to Modern Medicine: How to Run a FAP Service in 2020

Captain Jack

Elite
Society
Endgame
Introduction

When I started playing Entropia Universe back in 2006 I had no means of depositing. I wanted Hunting to be my primary profession, but Hunting required top of the line skills and equipment to be profitable, and the vast majority of the player base lost PED trying to get there. I needed a way to bridge the gap. I explored a variety of opportunities ingame and settled upon running a healing service as my primary occupation. The prospect of providing a useful service, consistently gaining skills, being guaranteed to break even, and a possibility of a profit was highly appealing to me. After sweating enough PED for a Vivo T1 (the unL TT fap back in those days) I began my service.
14 years later I am a far cry from a non-depositor. I have tried every profession in the game and learned how to be successful in all of them. Recently, having achieved all of my previous bench-mark goals ingame, I decided to go back to my old favorite role ingame; the support role. Today I offer services with some of the best equipment ingame, and I genuinely enjoy the opportunities my service opens up to my fellow hunters.

Intended Audience

This guide was written with three primary intended audiences. First being new players interested in starting a healing service. Second are experienced players who are interested in starting a healing service. Third are players with existing healing services who wish to improve their service.

Table of Contents

Part 1... Fundamentals of Service
Part 2... Primary Tools of the Trade (Healing tools)
Part 3... Secondary Tools of the Trade (Non-healing tools)
Part 4... Billing Methods (How you get paid)
Part 5... Organizing Your Client Base
Part 6... Marketing
Part 7... Supplemental Notes

Part 1: Fundamentals of Service

"Service" is defined as "the action of helping or doing work for someone." This is first and foremost the cornerstone of a good healing service. As a healer you must always remember that the purpose of your service is to add value to a hunter's experience. You are running a service, not asking for handouts.

Appropriate Client Matching: It is critical to properly identify clients whose needs match your resources.
If you are not skilled or equipped sufficiently to add value to a hunter's experience then you need reassess either your setup or your client base. A Vivo S10 healer can very beneficial for a low level player attempting to hunt a mob which challenges them, or to enable a mid level hunter to shoot continuously without interruption on a well-suited mid level mob. A Vivo S10 adds very little value, however, to a high level player on high level mobs. Do not pursue high profile clients you are ill-suited to assist simply because they are well funded and you think you will get a higher tip.

Transparent Billing Model: The model used for billing needs to be agreed upon before the hunt begins and remain in effect throughout the duration of that session, regardless of the outcome. Do not change billing methods because you think it will result in higher compensation. More details on billing models will be described later in the guide.

Situational Awareness and Initiative: As a healer you need to maintain awareness of your surroundings. Are you within your fap's range of the hunter, or will you have to move-and-fap on your first heal? Are you within aggro range of another mob? How close are you to a turret? Do you have a safe landing zone close by if you and your hunter get killed by a critical hit? Being aware of these and similar other factors will enable you to be proactive in your response to the environment, which adds value to your service.
Additionally, there are several small things which detract from your customer service and should be avoided. Ideally you should show up to your healing job with armor - and good armor which is tailored to the mob the hunter is hunting, to avoid being 1-shot killed. But if you choose not to wear armor, and you consistently die in 1 hit, then healing yourself - causing additional and entirely useless decay - is counter productive to your customer service and should absolutely be avoided.

Part 2: Primary Tools of the Trade

Healing Tools: A wide variety of healing tools are available in the Entropia Universe. Some of the more popular ones will be briefly described below, mostly in order of affordability.

Low Level Tools

Vivo S10: Popular for it's low cost, ease of acquisition, and higher heal/PEC than other ballfaps of it's range.
Acquisition: Mission reward from The Gauntlet mission on Calypso.
Recommended client base: Primary healing for low level players, supplemental healing mid level players looking to grind passively.

Refurbished H.E.A.R.T. Rank VI: Offering slightly more heal/sec than the S10, the primary appeal here is offering substantially higher heal/PEC.
Acquisition: Cyrene mission chain, see EntropiaWiki article.
Recommended client base: Primary healing for low level players, supplemental healing mid level players looking to grind passively.

Mid Level Tools

EMT Kit Ek-2350, Modified: A highly versatile healing tool, this is one of the most affordable FAPs available which takes your healing business to the next level. While it has equal heal/PEC as an Adjusted FAP, it has nearly twice the heal/SEC.
Acquisition: Can be produced by "the shroom fiend" at Minopolis, or purchased by another player.
Recommended client base: Primary healing for the wide range of mid level players, supplemental healing for higher level players.

EMT Kit Ek-2600, Modified: The big brother of the Mod 2350 variant, this FAP offers a higher heal per click and a nearly 20% increase in heal/sec while maintaining the same heal/PEC as the 2350 variant.
Acquisition: Can be produced by "the shroom fiend" at Minopolis, or purchased by another player.
Recommended client base: Primary healing for the wide range of mid level players, supplemental healing for higher level players.

High Level Tools

Omegaton Fast Aid Pack, Improved: ([URL="http://www.entropiawiki.com/Info.aspx?chart=FAP&id=94"]SGA Edition, Gyro, FEN Edition) [/URL] Offering excellent heal/PEC as well as heal/sec, the Improved FAP series takes the healing service to the next level, opening doors to a higher level client base.
Acquisition: Looted, purchased from other players.
Recommended client base: Primary healing for higher level players, as well as primary healing for mid level players looking to push the limits of their avatars.
Note: Alternate variants listed (SGA, Imp Gyro, FEN) are stated to have significantly higher skillgains than the traditional Improved FAP.

Omegaton Fast Aid Pack, Modified: (SGA Edition, FEN Edition) Top of the line heal/PEC and outstanding heal/sec makes this famous fap the king of healing services, earning top dollar during peak hunting seasons.
Acquisition: Looted, purchased from other players.
Recommended client base: Primary healing for higher level players, as well as primary healing for mid level players looking to push the limits of their avatars.
Note: SGA edition and FEN edition are stated to have significantly higher skillgains than the tradition Modified FAP.

Other Healing Tools:

Restoration Chips: Restoration chips offer the ability to incur a heal over time effect with minimal interruption between primary heal uses. This offers increased versatility, giving a healer a method of scaling heal/sec to the situation.
Most notable are the Adjusted, Improved, and Modified variants, which are currently the only unL variants available. These variations of Restoration chips offer superior heal/PEC while boosting heal/sec to varying degreees.

Part 3: Secondary Tools of the Trade

Divine Intervention Chip
: The Divine Intervention buff gives a 70% chance of saving a hunter's life when they receive more damage than they can survive (such as a Critical hit). Using this chip offers a healer a distinct advantage over competitors who do not have one, and as such the Divine Intervention Chip is recommended for any healing service using a FAP such as Mod 2350 or higher.

Performance Enhancing Equipment: While there is a wide variety of equipment available to enhance your performance of service, here I will cover some of the most common equipment to increase reload speed, which in turn increases your heal/sec.

Thorifoid Berserker's Helm Flimsy (L): 3% reload speed buff.

Thorifoid Berserker's Helm (L): 5% reload speed buff.

Ares Ring series: Ares Ring (L) to Ares Ring Perfected offers incremental improvements to reload speed ranging from 4% to 14% respectively.

Performance Enhancing Drugs (PEDs): From candycanes to neurostims, PEDs range widely. The most common and easily attainable PEDs are Hyperstim 5mg, 10mg, and 15mg offering 5%, 10%, and 15% reload speed respectively.
PEDs can be conveniently and consistently acquired at a variety of specialty shops such as Pudding's Pills.

Armor: Using a high end armor can add significant value to your FAP service. When a "ninja-spawn" occurs, an unarmoed and low HP fapper is extremely vulnerable, and often dies in one hit. This results in a reduction in efficiency and weapon uptime for the hunter. A relatively inexpensive (L) set of Chronicle or similar armor gives the fapper significant protection for those infrequent hits, and therefor improves the customer service of the fap service tremendously.

Teleportation Chips: Most hunters value their time more than you may realize. If they are hiring you as a healer, it's because they believe you are going to add value to their time. One way to show respect for their time is to take up as little of their time as possible, by using teleportation chips to make it out to the hunter both upon initial summons as well as post mortem.
Recommended chips:

Teleportation Chip 1: Level 0 to use, 800m TP range, (L) version is available.

Teleportation Chip 2: Level 0.3 to use, 1600m TP range, (L) version is available.

Teleportation Chip 2: Adjusted: Level 0.3 to use, 2000m TP range, most eco TP chip currently.

Part 4: Billing Methods

A wide array of billing methods can be utilized, the possibilities are nearly limitless. As such I will cover only the most common methods, preceded by some definitions.

Definitions:

Decays: All decays incurred throughout the healing service, to include medical tool decay, secondary tool decay, enhancers, transportation expenses during the hunt, incidental armor decays, and any PEDs used, are included in this calculation.

Tips: A tip (gratuity) is an optional financial benefit given as a means of expressing thanks for the services you have provided. Please remember that a tip is a completely optional benefit, and not a guaranteed fee for service. It is important to remember that, as a healer charging decay + tips, 100% of your expenses for the session are guaranteed to be covered. In other words, you are guaranteed to break even, and will likely profit if you receive a tip. The hunter is given no such guarantee. On the contrary, a hunter will often lose PED on a hunt, and thus giving a tip only increases their loss further. If you choose to utilize the decay + tips compensation model, you are only entitled to your costs incurred, and any tips received are a bonus.

Healer Loot: This is decay-based loot generated by the healer in a team. The amount of loot generated depends on the decay incurred, looter profession of the healer, and the efficiency of the healing.
Note: If the hunter is paying decay, the hunter is entitled to the decay-based healer loot.

Fee for Service: A pre-negotiated fee which the hunter is obligated to pay to the healer. This is most frequently expressed as an hourly rate, often calculated in sub-divisions of an hour (such as 10 minutes = 1/6th of hourly rate).

Common Compensation Models:

Decay + Tips: By far the most commonly used billing method, it is quite simple. Decays are calculated and required to be paid by the hunter, and an optional tip may be given as a bonus.

Fee for Service Only: Most often used by Improved and Modified FAP healing services, this model charges a fee for service only.
Note: Tips are excluded from this compensation model.

Decay + Fee for Service: Decays and a pre-negotiated fee for service are both required to be paid by the hunter.

Decay + Healer Loot (items returned): A less common compensation model, but nevertheless worth mentioning. In this model all decays are returned to the healer and the healer is also allowed to retain decay-based healer loot in lieu of a tip or fee for service. All non-stackable items looted are returned to the hunter.

Decay Only: In this model of compensation the healer charges decay only and refuses to accept tips or any other bonus compensation up front, before the hunt has even begun. This model is often used by healers who are low level and working to skill up to use a higher end FAP.

Healer Loot Only: This model gives the healer basically the same probability of return as the hunter, with some variance based on the healer's looter profession level and efficiency of healing. Like hunting, the result is less than 100% return more often than not.
Note: Items are typically split, giving a substantially higher portion to the hunter.

Healer Loot + Tips: Similar to the previous model, but giving the stated option for tips to be accepted. As with the previous model, items are typically split, giving a substantially higher portion to the hunter.

Part 5: Organizing Your Client Base

As your business expands, it may be useful for you to organize your clients. By tracking your clients you are able to provide better customer service, as well as prioritize who to provide services to during peak seasons. Google Sheets is a useful way to do this. A sample model is shown below:

tracking_guide.jpg

Part 6: Marketing

No matter how good your service is, you still need exposure in order to ever put your services to use. Some of the most common methods of marketing will be shown below:

Ingame Chat Channel Advertising: The #fap and #trade channels ingame are good places to start. Make a brief message advertising your services and put the message in chat every 5-10 minutes.
Examples:
"Mod FAP Service + 25% reload + Divine Intervention: 70 PED/Hour"
"Mod 2350 Service + 13% reload + Divine Intervention: Decay + Tips"

Ingame Advertising Screen: The ingame advertising screen can reach a wide audience. It costs 30 PED to take out an ad, and you can run your ad for up to 30 days. You have 30 seconds and up to 6 slides to work with. Be sure to "preview" your ad before committing to it, because many of the ingame backgrounds cause the ads to be unreadable, and modifying the ad afterward costs the same as creating a new one.

PlanetCalypsoForum: PCF can be another great place to advertise your services, but remember that there are more active players located ingame than on PCF. The Services portion of the forum should be used to create your advertising thread, and good graphics help improve the visual appeal. You can also provide a link to your service in your signature for increased visibility.

Part 7: Supplemental Notes

This portion of the guide is being left open for the purpose of providing amplifying information which may be necessary, or addressing forum trolls who wish to pick apart the semantics of the thread.

Last edited:
Nice work. This article might help a lot of players.

As healing decay is compensated in Loot these days maybe add something about how this is affected when not teaming up/teaming up/healer loot/etc.
Or at least how we think it works....

Nice work. This article might help a lot of players.

As healing decay is compensated in Loot these days maybe add something about how this is affected when not teaming up/teaming up/healer loot/etc.
Or at least how we think it works....

Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated!
To be completely honest I have no idea how loot is affected when not teaming up. This is not something I have personally tested or seen tested extensively. When I heal a hunter I always do it in team - but that is primarily because I like the convenience of healing with the HP bar - and that is now only available while in team.

After 2.0 S10 became less eco than armor/plates. Is anybody still faps with it? I would say these days you have to start with mid level tools - I don't expect much demand for S10.

For sake of completion you could mention herb box in low level tools - it's maxed way faster than S10 so a lot of ppl use it till they max S10, at least used to.

After 2.0 S10 became less eco than armor/plates. Is anybody still faps with it? I would say these days you have to start with mid level tools - I don't expect much demand for S10.

For sake of completion you could mention herb box in low level tools - it's maxed way faster than S10 so a lot of ppl use it till they max S10, at least used to.

I am guessing one should assume the guide is based highly on Captain's own experience throughout his endeavour in the Hunting Support profession... Meaning: don't be so critical about it :)

It looks good! Cheers for the good read, and consider this a free bump :nurse:

Nice info. Now I want to become medic, but isn't healing proffesion dead in 2020. I don't see much people doing it as in the old days.

Added new portion to the Tools of the Trade section regarding armor.
Back story: I have been employing various healers during Migration and found that most of them will be naked wearing a Thorifoid Helm (L). This means that every time a mob spawns on us and they get aggro, they die. It's frustrating and significantly reduces my willingness to give generous tips.

Added a new portion under the Situational Awareness portion regarding self-healing.
Back story: I had a healer today who had barely 100 HP, no armor, and died every time he was hit - first hit. He would then heal himself back to full HP, causing additional decay cost to me with zero benefit. This, combined with several other behavioral factors, was a significant failure in customer service and resulted in a significantly lower than usual tip.

Nice info. Now I want to become medic, but isn't healing proffesion dead in 2020. I don't see much people doing it as in the old days.
It is very much alive, but most hunters have had bad experiences with poor quality FAP services and therefor choose not to employ them as often.

Last edited:
Very good to cover that aspect about armour. I was healing against Eomon and the best protection for them I have is Martial and 5B. Still managed to get one shotted on a critical hit from a ninja spawn. Just goes to show how out of my league I am compared to the hunters I heal for.

To be fair I only died twice in my 8 hour stint. Still those two deaths amount to failures in my eyes so I will likely upgrade to a higher end L armor to improve my survivability. I hate to think how often somebody would of died with no armor.

In addition to your essential tools list, I recommend you put a TP2 chip in there. Returning to the fight as quickly as possible I think is important.

Very good to cover that aspect about armour. I was healing against Eomon and the best protection for them I have is Martial and 5B. Still managed to get one shotted on a critical hit from a ninja spawn. Just goes to show how out of my league I am compared to the hunters I heal for.

To be fair I only died twice in my 8 hour stint. Still those two deaths amount to failures in my eyes so I will likely upgrade to a higher end L armor to improve my survivability. I hate to think how often somebody would of died with no armor.

In addition to your essential tools list, I recommend you put a TP2 chip in there. Returning to the fight as quickly as possible I think is important.
Thank you for noticing that. This, too, has bothered me several times this migration (waiting for a healer to fly out to me) but I did not realize I'd left it out of the guide originally. It has been updated.

Amazing Guide, i just got back into the game after 2 years and planning to start fresh (but with skills) because I liquidated my account when I called quits.

Since I am not going to dep any money like last time, I am going to follow the guide and skill up

Few extra tips you can add
1. Also add a Quad/Sliepnir to reach hunters in addition to TP chips for new players starting out.
2. Using vehicles to reset aggro when getting aggroed by ninja mobs.

I feel like this deserves a bump after the discussion in #fap last night. Specialy the part about tips being too low....

If the tip is too low it should have been a fee. COMMUNICATE towards your client what your expectations are, 1 ped is also a tip after all.

Tips: A tip (gratuity) is an optional financial benefit given as a means of expressing thanks for the services you have provided. Please remember that a tip is a completely optional benefit, and not a guaranteed fee for service. It is important to remember that, as a healer charging decay + tips, 100% of your expenses for the session are guaranteed to be covered. In other words, you are guaranteed to break even, and will likely profit if you receive a tip. The hunter is given no such guarantee. On the contrary, a hunter will often lose PED on a hunt, and thus giving a tip only increases their loss further. If you choose to utilize the decay + tips compensation model, you are only entitled to your costs incurred, and any tips received are a bonus.

In past....Healer ONLY worked for the skills...didnt demand anything above decay ( except imp+mod ofc).....
Nowadays Healers get besides the decay and skills also Codex progress on the Mob, teamloot ?, and rls like 99% of the hunters do give a tip....even a low tip is a tip and should be treated that way...as a bonus....moaning or complaining about anything besides that....is a "nowadays" thing i guess

Far as I'm concerned, having the odd zero/low tipper mixed in makes very little difference overall, as the vast majority of hunters tip decently. Even when i was doing S10 healing I would get 2-3x decay in tips, which I thought was very generous for the lvl of service I could offer (not a lot :p).
I think the lesson to be had is not to make a fuss about the tip size, take it on the chin, thank the hunter, and quietly just nudge that client down the priority ladder.
What we saw on #fap was an example of what not to do.

I had some fun trying out some healing for Migration hunters. I decided to try and offer the best healing service ever offered ingame, and I believe I may have succeeded.

My setup:
Primary tools:
Fap: Modified FEN FAP, Tier 3, fully enhanced for 207 heal/click.
Secondary heal tool: Modified Restoration Chip

Secondary tools:
Pertinent buffs: 25% reload (rings + pills), 45% run speed (rings + pills)
Divine Intervention Chip
Improved Angel armor (enabled me to tank multiple mobs if we had ninja spawns or stuck mob issues)
Teleportation Chip II, Adjusted (I used to TP to exactly the spot where a hunter would indicate)
Teleportation Chip I (never used)
Kraka - rapidly deployable 2 seater aircraft with a very small footprint, spawnable nearly anywhere, enabled me to get my hunter out of a sticky situation.

By using this setup I was able to keep up with my hunters by matching (or sometimes exceeding) their run speed, I was able to tank mobs when we got second or third mobs on us, and I was able to provide heal over time for myself with the mod resto while providing primary healing to my client with the FAP when we were surrounded. As long as my clients could survive 1 hit from an Eomon Stalker, I could keep them alive effectively.

For this service I chose to charge a premium fee. I contacted other Mod fappers to ensure I was charging well above what they were charging, as I was providing a service a cut above that of a typical mod fapper. I even referred prospective clients to other mod and improved fappers when they did not wish to pay my premium rates. By doing this I limited my client base significantly to a select few VIP level clients who valued the service I was offering enough to pay for it. Overall I had fun and demonstrated to myself that the market for a premium service does indeed exist.

Great guide ! I've been healing for some years now with my mod 2600, with many breaks and many chipping out and always come back to give healing a go.

There are many more tips and tricks to be said aswell like for example:

- U can fully heal when u walk (not run).
- Since Health bar disapeared, aim for the foot if the hunter is inside the mob.
- DONT EVER walk over / hit a healer, his healing will be diminished.
- If your hunter dies but u survive fly in a safe place and give your hunter a pos by writing /p in PM.
- For all the noobs at Zychon ! Stop agroing the warriors ! They have like 20 meters agro, but once you activated the agro they hit everything in +120 range.
- If u don't have divine chip but hunter has and it got used, remember him to reuse it.
- Prob many more things...

Regarding fees, thats another story.
I mean, comon, u invest 12k in a mod 2600 + ring + divine + TP + armor ++++ Lets say 15k , you offer your skills to use that equipment, your time , and your experience and then you get 1 ped tip after 3 hours I find that pretty bad.
If i heal alot I'm okay with decay + tip. If I heal once every minute, meaning not many skills, I think 10 p / hour would be decent at least for a mod 2600.

As I said tho, very good guide for noobies and more advanced healers. Cheers !

Back