Have "The current Afairs of the world" actually helped Entropia Universe? or hurt it?

BenCoyote

Old Alpha
Society
Freelancer
Benjamin 'Ben' Coyote
Howdy, Benjamin Ben Coyote here, and I got a rather interstig topic that anyone can chime in on.. and this involves two things going on at the moment..

Let's get to the "Real stuff" first..:

The Real world Situation: As yo know, we are in a bit of a "Crisis" on the planet as an "Unseen Enemy " known as "The Bat Virus' has literally forced people to actually find something to do.. and in some cases to bring older people back to a game that has been around for 17 years..

Now as you know a lot of us are under a lock down of sorts, where we can't go out into groups or gatherings, and in fact we as a wold have to stay connected . So what better way than an Online MMORPG with a Real Cash Economy..

Now there's pros and cons to this and in fact I'm going to start with the pros and then work to the Cons of why this current affairs of the world might be actually a blessing.. or a curse.. Let's start with the obvious..

The Game is growing: let's be honest.. People are coming into this game.. as I have seen a few new faces around town as of late on Calypso (and I bet thee are some new faces on other planets (or is it just Calypso) that i see these new faces.. This is a plus, and also a minus (and in fact I'll get to the latter on in a moment.. ) but the new faces seem that they are curious about this game, they want to learn how a real cash economy game works and how they can profit from it..(or at lest try , again a more on this in a moment.) so they do the one thing curious folks do.. They ask questions..

As for others they are returning to the game sometimes after a year or two off to see if the game has changed a lot, (in a manner of speaking, it has. ) So maybe they're back to try out the new systems and see if they like it. If they do , they can stay, if not, they can disappear back into the woodwork for another year or two..

So that's the pluses.. The minuses are a bit more disturbing..
First off new faces mean that there are going to be new dangers to face, thing s like Panhandling, (Wanting something for nothing, or Scamming (Getting or stealing something for nothing) or even people who who just want to suck off the system and try to get rich without even depositing (The freeloaders we could call them.)

The point is with a new influx of folks, these increase the risks of these people literally sneaking in and ruining a fun game.. which is really bad not only for the already existing Players but also newer more inexperienced players.. So yes this Growth is a double edge sword..

Things are getting better.. (Kind of) : now here's the thing, with the Beer virus" running around things have forced people to stay home and to find ways to entertain themselves they can't go out to a movie, they can't go to a video game sorer and importantly they can't socialize.... so what better way to explore a few planets (7 if you count Monria) and enjoy a little fun sometimes for a little cost (or a lot. it depends on the way the player wants to play..) and win or lose.. but it's the skills that matter here right? no? it's just the PED d? either or?
the point is. Things are getting better.. Next Island is waking up from an 8 yer slumber and people are headed to Ancient Greece e on Next Island to actually see what the hubbub is all about.. some are doing stuff there and of curse let's not forget about the market shares for both Crystal palace and Ancient Greece not to mention the other deeds in the game..) the point is there's plenty of Opportunity for some folks.. and frustration for others.. It's a mixed bag really . so in some ways things could be looking up for some down for others.. and this is where we come into the third and final part of this..

Some people will be leaving (For the last time) This is perhaps the sometimes most depressing part of the talk, and for good reason.. This Beer virus is in fact killing people.. as of this writing 11,400+ people are not going to be able to play this game as they either never knew about it, got told bad press, or even never knew it existed.. so yeah they are gone. But what's more depressing is that some people people who you might have known for a few weeks to a few years or even a decade or more might be leaving permanently and by that I don't mean they are cashing out either.. they're just going to vanish.. Friendships washed away with a swig of "bat virus"..which is kind of say as we have come to laugh and joke and poke fun at things. We've been able to talk to people and type (or voice Communicate if we have the programs.. and the headsets..

But this .. this is a killer and it might hurt the game too. it's all how you look at it.. MA and the players are at odds with one another i feel and some players still whine and complain about loot. Some think MA is going under and the sky is falling, yet others think that his is a bit of a blessing as they can do more for less money.. or whatever they want to do.. even start a business.. or to close one up in game..
The thing is it's hard to call on this one..

So in closing I say this.. Do yo think that this game is going to explode much like out beer virus for the next few months/ and then return to normal? are we going to lose Notable people who have been around for the 17 or so years the game has been online? or is this just our worst nightmare as we will the ones leaving the planet suddenly and not being able to say goodbye to friends is a bit of a painful experience.. In short for every one player another one has to leave..

So, what now where does this game go? It's really on how you look at this .. It can be fun and challenging.. or frustrating and dismal.. it can be worth the effort of work, or the laziness of just freeloading and it can be happy that we are seeing new friends or feeling sad for the ones we will lose if they aren't careful> So remember wash your hands, cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze, and of course wear a mask to keep it in if you got it.. don't want others getting the beer virus now do we? And if you can don't buy up too much Toilet paper.. .

In short,I'm going to sum it up in one simple sentence..

"The Difference Between Entropia Universe and Real life is this: In Entropia Universe if you die you have both a revival terminal and H-DNA to revive you and you can continue playing the game, but in the real world There is no revival or H-DNA to save you.. once you die, it's Game Over.." -- Ben Coyote

But what are you r takes on this.. Is this current event that is sweeping the world i Real life helping or hurting this game and in fact why.. The Floor is open for Discussion.. and I'll see you in game (or not.. it's really up to the whims of fate..)

(Sgt.) Benjamin 'Ben" Coyote, IFN Marines,
A.K.A. "The Blind Sniper" (and ) his pets..

Last edited:
Howdy, Benjamin Ben Coyote here, ..

Yes, an interesting topic, and I think you've found the right amount of seriousness.
Overall, we are not the community I'd wish for moving forward, but it is also true that this virtual world has forged many many friendships between people who have never actually met. Social distancing loses its impact quite a bit here - we are already so distant, and yet so close some of the time!

I've had the pleasure of being in very fun chats over the years, mostly spontaneously, but sometimes sought out... just as people who might go and visit that bar called "Cheers". The real world doesn't seem to have that kind of bar much any more - the closest I see is rather beaten down bars with rather 'poor' folks in it - and yet they seem to have a sort of community at least. Maybe that makes them 'richer' again in this day and age.
And now the pubs are totally closed....

Maybe we should tentatively (cautiously) try a few meeting places in EU - or create chats on various topics for people who want to do a bit more than watch a video or hunt some 'stupid AI mobs'. Are we actually allowed to have chats called "Entropians for future (EFF!):laugh:" and such? For balance there might be an "Anti-EFF" group too. Chats should stay civil, kind and understanding, maybe like at AA - people are attending because they have worries - please respect that! Just an idea - my idea - as a response to a thought-provoking OP!

The concern i see with this coronavirus and Entropia is that people are losing jobs, and fast. Businesses are closing, people are going onto social assistance programs. These people will no longer be able to deposit, which means a lack of funds coming into the game. This game is not cheap to play, and although there are some who have found ways to play for free or no need to deposit, there are many that have not and they will need to scale their gameplay down. If they don't, their losses coupled with the inability to deposit, or the case of needing money IRL so they cash out everything they have is a real concern for the game.

Yes, an interesting topic, and I think you've found the right amount of seriousness.
Overall, we are not the community I'd wish for moving forward, but it is also true that this virtual world has forged many many friendships between people who have never actually met. Social distancing loses its impact quite a bit here - we are already so distant, and yet so close some of the time!

I've had the pleasure of being in very fun chats over the years, mostly spontaneously, but sometimes sought out... just as people who might go and visit that bar called "Cheers". The real world doesn't seem to have that kind of bar much any more - the closest I see is rather beaten down bars with rather 'poor' folks in it - and yet they seem to have a sort of community at least. Maybe that makes them 'richer' again in this day and age.
And now the pubs are totally closed....

Maybe we should tentatively (cautiously) try a few meeting places in EU - or create chats on various topics for people who want to do a bit more than watch a video or hunt some 'stupid AI mobs'. Are we actually allowed to have chats called "Entropians for future (EFF!):laugh:" and such? For balance there might be an "Anti-EFF" group too. Chats should stay civil, kind and understanding, maybe like at AA - people are attending because they have worries - please respect that! Just an idea - my idea - as a response to a thought-provoking OP!

First off thanks for the feedback and yes we doo need to socialize more, and learn about each other. The reason is not that we are different people but rather we are a species (the human species) and thus we are tend to be a bit more open bout the problems of the world.. and yes your idea is a good one.. so I'll give you kudos for that. Good counter post..

The concern i see with this corona virus and Entropia is that people are losing jobs, and fast. Businesses are closing, people are going onto social assistance programs. These people will no longer be able to deposit, which means a lack of funds coming into the game. This game is not cheap to play, and although there are some who have found ways to play for free or no need to deposit, there are many that have not and they will need to scale their game play down. If they don't, their losses coupled with the inability to deposit, or the case of needing money IRL so they cash out everything they have is a real concern for the game.

Again, another good point, after all this is another problem I can see. After all some folks will be able to not be able to deposit, and this could do what you suggest.. an this is one of the negatives we do have to look at..

But then of ocurse some folks think this is a "Free to play game" and can make a ton of money off of it, the reality is also true that it's not. The game does cost money but wit some folks like myself this actually could be a benefit.. as I am able to budget the money properly and decide on how much to put in.. which keeps the loot coming in.. but if folks just thin that they can get rich or make money (a lot of money as they see it, they are sadly mistaken)

Also some folks thin that they can leech off the game or they try to panhandle the real issue is that they don't know what hard work and effort is.. and that's anther sad commentary.. This game requires work and some thinks that work is long borning and tedious. It how canever be fun if you start to socialize and make your connections with other people.. that's the one side folks ten dto forget .. the ability to socialize.. we are social creatures and if we don't do it then we tend to isolate. And in fact that can make things very lonely.. do it for too long and you can actually go insane.. after all they say no man is an island.. which is true.. we need to be social but during this "Crisis" we also need to use common sense.. and that's where this game has it's one advantag.e..

So another kudo to yu as well for pointinig it out.

(Sgt.) Benjamin 'Ben' Coyote, IFN Marines,
A.K.A, The Blind Sniper (and ) his pets.

Addendum:
Also if folks want to I do have a discord server please contact me in game if you have a headset and or jsut want to chat abut this topic as well. Just PM me in game, Okay?

hey ben, nice thoughts.
but.
what i can tell you from here (austria, europe): most businesses in tourism are shut since almost a week. thats restaurants, hotels, airlines, and all the business conected to them. no events, no social life, nothing.
the smaller businesses are already insolvent, the kpis for unemployed ppl skyrocket almost like the curve of the virus itself.
thats said. in a few weeks, noone will have the money to buy peds.
just look at the markets ... you will see the state of entropia in about a month.
i hope i am wrong here. but yesterday our chancelor postboned the lockdown back to 13th of april.
stay healthy over there and dont forget to wash your hands bro :wise:

here (austria, europe)

just some quick stats: out of 4.38M total austrian workforce - 97.5k lost their job in the first 4 days of last week

that's around 2.22% or every 45th peep. good luck to us in the next 4 weeks of lockdown... :eyecrazy:

just some quick stats: out of 4.38M total austrian workforce - 97.5k lost their job in the first 4 days of last week

that's around 2.22% or every 45th peep. good luck to us in the next 4 weeks of lockdown... :eyecrazy:

thanks proph.
sorry i forgot the source, but its expected to go as high as 10% or more.... yes gl to us and everyone out there :eyecrazy:

Back