LBML website having security issues???

Max Hec

Dominant
Max Hec Walker
Just a heads up that LBML website gives security errors today.
Similar message is shown to me in different browsers like:
Vivaldi = "The site ahead contains harmful programs"
FireFox ="The site ahead may contain harmful programs"
Not surprisingly Opera browser gave no warning message, but it is China owned software...

The warning seems to originate from "Google’s Safe Browsing technology" starting Mar 24, 2020.
But Google completely failed to give any proof or details and looking (to me) like a stupid jumpscare warning.
https://transparencyreport.google.com/safe-browsing/search?url=http://www.mininglog.com/&hl=en-US

Haven't seen this "Google’s Safe Browsing technology" message for any other website so far. Not sure if its a false positive or if something else is going on?
But considering how useless "Google’s Safe Browsing technology" is to help diagnose any cause or even simply just state what the actual problem is means I'll probably disable its fluffware, er I mean "feature" in all my browsers.

Does the tool still work? Are folks still using it?
I was going to give it a go, but an ingame friend said that it no longer worked.

Excellent question, I hadn't run LBML ‎since ‎Sept ‎20, ‎2018 and I assumed to look at website first.
And running what's installed on my PC I see a small popup that says:
Code:
     Little Big Mining Log is missing this file from its installation:
     LbmlUpdater.exe
     Run the updater to fix the issue

So is my install out of date? (ver 1.0.4.0)
LBML dead?
Website compromised?
or D) all of the above?

Last edited:
Damn, I hope it's not dead. I wanted to add the info to the Calypso Map site! :duh:

I do get that 'harmful program' warning when I try and go on it - so don't want to risk it really. :confused:

These should all be false positive detections due to the code used. I have used it somewhat recently and have added the site to any safe lists required to make it work. It's too damn useful to discard otherwise.

Well thanks for the feedback.
Even though I see this google "security" is more jumpscare then of any actual use, I'm going to uninstall LBML since what I have installed is nonfunctional and I never use it. :dunno:
Plus I'm not going to risk the website, nor bother starting my other PC to look for any black-hat problems with it.

To me LBML is dead, it was very nice while it lasted.

LBML the program still works perfectly fine, so I'm not sure why people are saying it doesn't work. If folks mean the website maps, it's the average across 60 or 90 days (I know it's 90 for the depth listings), so resource changes won't give accurate maps if the change was recent.

For those interested in more background, this has all been recently discussed in this thread: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?311849-LBML-Updater-Trojan-Content

Basically, the method Ido used to hide LBML's code throws a false positive with Google. It was cleared up a few weeks ago, but it has come back again. Virus scanners giving false positives have also been a problem for years. You can still download the program without any issues on the website, you just have to click through Google's notifications to get to it.

That said, Ido doesn't appear to be as active anymore either, and it sounds like they were having trouble getting Google to be consistent when the website was reapproved. I'd offer to help keep the project going if it comes to it, but I haven't heard from them since this winter or so.

Last edited:
Back