MindArk's Statement Regarding Unauthorized Use of Official Items

I shall keep my views on this to myself.

The bar has now been set.

Let's see the forum bile merchants get behind some of the other things going on in game today and see what punishments arise...

:popcorn:

We can only hope! :laugh:

Dude. As a former member of Dark Knights and to date a hearty supporter of the society, please, STOP. You have made a complete fool of yourself and your constant thrashing is bleeding that reputation to other undeserving members. Seriously. If not for yourself then for the sake of others just stop.

... you must spread some rep etc
On the other hand: every soc should be responsible for their own image, therefor should monitor their members actions.
I`m sure there are plenty DK members reading the latest threads. If DK believes it`s OK to keep such people like unufain, then by all means, they deserve whats coming to them...

DannyO and Ben Cobra welcome to noob club

Respect for MA for such act

I am very satisfied with the outcome of MA's investigation, which shows how the company has developed, from "teenager" to "grown up" age, so to speak.

I am going to indulge in a few notes, hoping that the more IQ-challenged readers will skip it altogether as TL;DR :laugh:

From my previous task list:

1. Understand how this was even made possible by the game mechanics, close the loophole and prevent this from happening again; :yay: CHECK (and well done)
2. Take steps to check all other player accounts, to spot any similar current or past abuse; :yay: CHECK
3. Take financial actions against Arkadia inc. and set an example for all other PPs; :scratch2: OPEN
4. Take strong action against the player(s); :yay: CHECK (and well done)
5. In truth, we need a clear statement from MA about their policies concerning the creation and handling of extraordinary items. :yay: CHECK (and well done)

While we can consider the case closed, some takeaways from this episode:

- MA don't have the tools to monitor all gaming activities, so I would wholeheartedly agree to reward the players who documented this abuse. Both Prophet and DCINSIDE deserve the utmost gratitude from the entire community;

- Fun suggestion: as we all agree that EU is a bit like the "wild west", it would be great to have a new category of players "bounty hunters" (not moaners), which following a well specified set of rules, would roam around the universe spotting "unusual behaviours", like Prophet did. That would introduce an in-game control at a minimal cost to MA and keep players on their toes;

- This might be considered a bit of an inflammatory comment, but the last couple of weeks show that we all like a bit of (extra) drama. It's clear that MA didn't want to be heavy handed with Arkadia Studios, for a whole lot of business/diplomatic reasons. However, the closeness between ownership and the involved players is a serious put off, and leaves a bitter after taste.

Out of curiosity, I went to check the list of favorite mobs for each of the top 20 hunters (1 year) on Entropia Life. Not many will be surprised to find out that none of them shows any Arkadia mobs in their top 3 mobs, as we all know that ubers are basically camped on Calypso. With one notable exception: DannyO, whose top 3 mobs are all from Arkadia.

While in itself there is nothing wrong with that, it's difficult not to link it to the pally relationship with the current ex DK ownership. The reprehensible and morally flawed gang behaviour of other DK members on this forum doesn't help either.
Let's not kid ourselves, if that side of the game was directly or indirectly involved in "lending" official items, there's no doubt that anything else would be considered perfectly legitimate.

MA's statement clarifies that "The items in question were acquired, without the permission of either MindArk or Arkadia Studios, from Planet Arkadia Official avatars" and "any avatars that are no longer used or deemed unnecessary will be deleted". You'd be forgiven for thinking that the official items were given to players via "unused" Planet Arkadia Official avatars, which somehow were not controlled by Arkadia Studios staff and have now been removed.

One might wonder how could Planet Arkadia Official avatars give away official items without the knowledge and consent of Arkadia Studios. There are probably many other explanations, but what if certain "helping" players had the credentials to access those special avatars? We would be talking of "super alt" accounts offering endless possibilities.
After all, what's wrong in creating a favorable environment (i.e. tt returns > 100%) to an uber friend, to increase the planet's turnover and help its development? Win-win proposition.
Of course, I am playing the devil's advocate here, because a) friendship is a basic human trait and b) I have no doubt that DannyO could extract 100%+ tt returns consistently anywhere, anytime. Problem is, once trust is broken, the Pandora's box of conspiracy theories opens up and it's difficult to put them back in.

Having said all that, whether the specific abuse happened with or without permission, the buck ultimately stops with Arkadia Studios, I am afraid.

Arkadia has been my favorite planet for a long time, when it comes to escaping periods of terrible loot on Calypso, and I still resent the killing of "Golden Rush". However, regretfully, I will vote with my feet and I'll put it in my "not to visit" list for, guess what, 5 months.

ouch indeed, but I can't argue with it. No perma ban is good.
Not making those items trade-able seems like a no brainer, but that might just because it's hindsight.

Ty for the clear and prompt response and communication MA

Our investigation confirmed that two avatars had used items intended for use exclusively by official avatars. The items in question were acquired, without the permission of either MindArk or Arkadia Studios, from Planet Arkadia Official avatars.
CEO MindArk

It was really fast, great job MA, hope this one investigation also get some progress!

Perfect! Hopefully this sets the new standard for Mindark's involvement in scandalous activity in Entropia. Top notch :wtg:

Very good action and great that you communicated about it with the players :)

Y’all think he should be allowed access to at least off load his gear (if he wants) and that’s all? This is an RCE and gear can, well, you know...
Also, would be a good test to regain trust - MA could check logs that’s all he does

Seems quick and a well handled response, +rep MA for acting and communicating.

Punishment seems fair.

Echoing what has been said before a reward for the person who discovered this would be a good gesture.

Wow!! Sounds like there was alot more too it, then just 'helping' an event then.

That's a pretty brutal wipeout of all mindforce skills and attributes. I can't see those two wanting to continue after that, even if they are allowed back in 5 months. That's a lifetime of damage to their skills, even if some of it was gained immorally.

Part of me wishes this could have been resolved without all the publicity. I've felt sad about the entire thing, I've not felt like playing the game at all, the last few days.

However wrong they've been, it doesn't bring me any joy that "another" two big EU players are likely to be leaving the game.

I don't do anything dodgy in game, never have. But I'm not one for calling for blood on others either. I was brought up in another era I guess. I don't do people policing the people.

Anyway laters, said my bit.

Rick.

Well rick, in any competitive sport, if you're caught cheating you're stripped of all your medals just like lance armstrong. Losing all their mindforce skills seems like reasonable punishment to me

This seems like another reason to add a system for lending items, with an action that yanks the loaned item back to its owner, and a period of time after which the item reverts. Granted, it's not necessarily the best reason. But it would be a very useful system...

"Lend Item": like a trade window; the item temporarily goes to the other participant, and its TT value goes to its owner's pedcard

Loaned items would not be tradable nor TT-able

Loaned items would have a custoizable period after which the item would revert to its owner

"Retrieve loaned item" yanks the item back to its owner's inventory and puts its TT on the borrower's pedcard

... of course making all official items unlendable does more good. I also think the punishment chosen was quite appropriate. But I'm not convinced that letting a designated healer use a particular tool during an event was a corrupt idea, just sad that the tool was not returned at the appropriate time.

... my two pecs

What has been revealed in the internal investigation is as we already know. Still, as you can see from immediate feedback, it represents the potential for development and endless developments. It also seems like everything can be better. And in the future, it will serve as a example for preventing these events and other incidents may/maynot be occured in future, Your little attention and demand can make this Entropia Universe better. as Entropia Universe 2.0 :whip:

Thanks for reading
also thank you. cheers guys :kiss::beerchug:Have a nice day!

PS.thanks to CEO for an immediate statement,actions(from MindArk) another Entropians have doubts integrity,trust and transparency of Game, hope the current point in dispute would be solved at somepoint. need to know that continuous interaction is the only way to attract more customers. If you don't want to lose your original clients..2003~2020

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks MA!
It's an excellent punishment for the crimes done. I do however would like to see some kind of punishment or further investigation into Arkadia as well. I love that planet, but that shouldn't cloud my judgement over it.

Also, what I have been wondering about are two things:
1. Can Planet Partners add items to a specific player's Storage or Inventory? We get presents at holidays, but could they also give any other item (say, a TP chip) to only one player (say, one of the two who got the ban). If so, it could explain how DannyO got it and why he won't explain it.

2. Have members of Dark Knight taken turns in using the Field Chip, and was it just DannyO who got unlucky caught with his pants down?

In closing, I also would like to some kind of reward for Prophet for bringing this issue up!

Well rick, in any competitive sport, if you're caught cheating you're stripped of all your medals just like lance armstrong. Losing all their mindforce skills seems like reasonable punishment to me

Well... They did get to keep their highest valued skillgains - Intuition.

If people want a kiss and tell community.... why doesn’t MA make like an hotline/email that is private for reporting things...... and then whoever reports the biggest cheat, they get a monthly prize.

Maybe like a special Armor so everyone can see they won the award?

A cheat/crime, wether it’s 1 pec from a Armor bug exploit, or a 1000 ped gain from using multiple avatars to exploit item sales, or avatars which have been sold, hunting bots, pvp exploits etc...... would sure keep MA busy.... and clean out the not so squeaky clean people in the game?

If people want a kiss and tell community.... why doesn’t MA make like an hotline/email that is private for reporting things...... and then whoever reports the biggest cheat, they get a monthly prize.

Maybe like a special Armor so everyone can see they won the award?

A cheat/crime, wether it’s 1 pec from a Armor bug exploit, or a 1000 ped gain from using multiple avatars to exploit item sales, or avatars which have been sold, hunting bots, pvp exploits etc...... would sure keep MA busy.... and clean out the not so squeaky clean people in the game?

I would also love an extra Bug/suggestion Terminal ingame...also sorted on topic and then you can also see official answers there like....not wanted atm...or maybe next yr etc

or also bug reported on example auction qr display bug and the resulting order sell bug etc....where you could see if its beeing worked on or not

I would also love an extra Bug/suggestion Terminal ingame...also sorted on topic and then you can also see official answers there like....not wanted atm...or maybe next yr etc

It isn't required.

There is Submit a Support Case / In-world (game play) / Abuse or harassment on www.Entropiauniverse.com

It isn't required.

There is Submit a Support Case / In-world (game play) / Abuse or harassment on www.Entropiauniverse.com

ye Mega ik....but an INGAME Terminal or function would still be better imo....mostly regarding the bug reports...there you can also see more infos...then the answer you get from support

and you never know if its been read or not...

isnt the reason why it got removed from ingame that people reported every shit and so they put it on website only which is too much of a hassle to use it?

How about some “Judge Dredd’s” in game..

I am the law.....the judge and jury..... and you have been found guilty!!

Guess even trapping bots by the wall..... by the letter of the law is cheating and if everything is equal, a cheat is a cheat and should be dealt with in the same way��

Last edited:
ye Mega ik....but an INGAME Terminal or function would still be better imo....mostly regarding the bug reports...there you can also see more infos...then the answer you get from support

and you never know if its been read or not...

For a while we had access to our support cases ingame, we could create it from there, it was fine.
I don't know why it lasted so short before they removed it.

I've been reading a lot about rewards for cheat report, and now even "reporter ranking" stories.. :rolleyes:

It's true that at first glance you might think it deserves a reward.
But it's actually quite complicated to manage ethically.

Implementing this system could lead to some... weird things.

Anyway, when you report a crime, whether it's real life or ingame, it's usually not for the purpose of receiving a medal or a reward.
You do it because you think it's the right thing to do.

If you see, at night, hooded people with flashlights breaking into your neighbours' homes, I hope you don't call the police just to get a reward.
And I hope the fact that there's no reward at stake doesn't convince you to do nothing but go back to sleep...

I hate cheaters, and I hate any kind of cheating.
If MA wants to reward people for exposing cheating, let them do it, but it should be private.
It doesn't have to be public.

Then again, setting up a practical system of "report & reward" would be very questionable from an ethical point of view...

I've been reading a lot about rewards for cheat report, and now even "reporter ranking" stories.. :rolleyes:

Anyway, when you report a crime, whether it's real life or ingame, it's usually not for the purpose of receiving a medal or a reward.

If you see, at night, hooded people with flashlights breaking into your neighbours' homes, I hope you don't call the police just to get a reward.
And I hope the fact that there's no reward at stake doesn't convince you to do nothing but go back to sleep...

If MA wants to reward people for exposing cheating, let them do it, but it should be private.

Then again, setting up a practical system of "report & reward" would be very questionable from an ethical point of view...

My bad, I must have misread things, l thought people wanted that Zen guy rewarded for stalking, catching and reporting DannyO?

There was an example many years ago which was called the auction 101 bug / exploit. The person who abused it was punished, the person who let Mindark know about it received a reward. I think this is perfectly fair and I think it is comparable to what has happened here.

If you remember the original :locked: thread another player spotted an individual abusing a non player item, thought it unusual, did not take screenshots did not expose it on the forum and did not let Mindark know about it. So nothing was done about it until someone did let us all know about it.

It takes courage to be the whistleblower and unfortunately as in real life it takes a reporter to blow the whistle or publish it in a newspaper for something bad to be known and acted upon from Watergate onwards.

Unfortunately there are individuals who think nothing of cheating and using exploits for their own financial gain.

Perhaps Mindark may wish to take a closer look at some other examples that have been going on under their nose for quite some time.

For a while we had access to our support cases ingame, we could create it from there, it was fine.
I don't know why it lasted so short before they removed it.

Hi, because there were many more support cases than now or before the in-game support system.

Cheers,
Robo:beerchug:

ps: that is my guess...;)

snip...

Perhaps Mindark may wish to take a closer look at some other examples that have been going on under their nose for quite some time.

Hi again, this and btw Mega, can I someday borrow this for my forum signature...?!

Cheers,
:smoke::beerchug:

In any case, I didn't say that cheating report shouldn't be rewarded.
I said that setting up a practical "report & reward" system could have negative effects.
It's mainly the "reporting ranking" thing that got me to come up here.

But maybe you're right. :)
I don't have the answer, as I said it's a more "complex" question than it seems from an ethical point of view.

And maybe I'm too much of an idealist, and I put too much hope in human beings than we actually deserve.. :rolleyes:

And also, maybe I draw too many parallels with real life, and that indeed, when it comes to ingame, it would may be efficient and especially that it would have less "serious" negative effects.

I don't know.. :dunno:
It was just my thought.

Back