Auction fraud, entrapment, manipulation attempts

Status

San

Elite
Society
OldTimers
Sandal San Tolk
Since we have increased awareness of wrongdoing now :rolleyes:, I think it is high time for getting serious about battling another menace in this RCE, namely more or less blatant attempts to trick you out of your money using various means of manipulation and exploitation of known human weaknesses using the auction house.

To do this, I would like to dedicate this thread to the posting of screenshots of auctions or auction orders you believe are created with malicious intent. There shouldn't be lengthy discussions about them right here, though it's probably unavoidable sometimes to clarify false positives.

In keeping with forum rules and to prevent all previous work from getting wiped, you MUST edit out the names. This is easily done with the simplest of all graphics programs, if you don't know how and don't want to learn it please refrain from posting. In the (foreseeable) event that people can't remain reasonable for half an hour and insist on getting it closed or deleted, there is the Wayback Machine and other domains but we'd be robbed of a tool right where it matters. Hence those who go about destroying it may be seen on the side of the fraudsters it is targeting.

We know that MindArk monitors this forum. We will not get to learn about individual actions taken and there is no point asking about them. The purpose here is to increase public awareness of patterns of fraud, and by this to counter frustration about perceived lack of closure-giving responses when submitting such cases to support. You know why they can't, but you also need a way to deal with the feeling of powerlessness. I have filed several support cases in this vein but can't keep up with the sheer frequency of these things appearing, much more so since the ability to file a support ticket from within the game was removed.

Remember also that such a deceptive transaction would be reversible and punishable under Swedish law, which is above the "all trades are final" rule inside our little bubble. The company's canned response "you should always pay attention..." will not be sufficient once someone decides to fight. Only the trouble of going through the motions, and people obviously not needing their money or they would, makes most perps get away so easily. Shaming and bullying folks who come forward having made such mistakes serves no purpose other than making the game less safe for yourself.

So, I want to start this with a scheme I see quite frequently, the creation of an auction with the obvious purpose to entrap players with a large ped card who, blurry after hours of grinding or lazy or inattentive for any other reason, would use the leftmost up arrow to buy out an item instead of doing it the safe but tedious way. The buyout price here is so cleverly set that the last two digits show the usual or a plausible markup for this item, exploiting a psychological property in human perception which is liable for blinding out the zeroes to the left all the way up to the hammer. It must be working often enough since they are even willing to pay a substantial fee for the listing. (Another possible explanation might be that they're attempting to pull markups up, but deem it unlikely here. Also that this listing itself is made in error seems unlikely since the price is targeted so accurately.)

Please post what you find, and please don't forget to edit out the names.

Last edited:
One of my bugbears is people selling fresh BP's for PED on the auction that are available from the technician sometimes 2 steps from the auctioneer for 1 pec .
Not a biggie I know and more down to lack of awareness on the buyers part.

As usual with everything "buyer beware" and the people that do this need their fingers slamming in a drawer :yup:

As a trap, this is not set very well. To fall into this you must have 9 million ped on your card :)

Take care,
BBB

Since we have increased awareness of wrongdoing now :rolleyes:, I think it is high time for getting serious about battling another menace in this RCE, namely more or less blatant attempts to trick you out of your money using various means of manipulation and exploitation of known human weaknesses using the auction house.

To do this, I would like to dedicate this thread to the posting of screenshots of auctions or auction orders you believe are created with malicious intent. There shouldn't be lengthy discussions about them right here, though it's probably unavoidable sometimes to clarify false positives.

In keeping with forum rules and to prevent all previous work from getting wiped, you MUST edit out the names. This is easily done with the simplest of all graphics programs, if you don't know how and don't want to learn it please refrain from posting. In the (foreseeable) event that people can't remain reasonable for half an hour and insist on getting it closed or deleted, there is the Wayback Machine and other domains but we'd be robbed of a tool right where it matters. Hence those who go about destroying it may be seen on the side of the fraudsters it is targeting.

We know that MindArk monitors this forum. We will not get to learn about individual actions taken and there is no point asking about them. The purpose here is to increase public awareness of patterns of fraud, and by this to counter frustration about perceived lack of closure-giving responses when submitting such cases to support. You know why they can't, but you also need a way to deal with the feeling of powerlessness. I have filed several support cases in this vein but can't keep up with the sheer frequency of these things appearing, much more so since the ability to file a support ticket from within the game was removed.

Remember also that such a deceptive transaction would be reversible and punishable under Swedish law, which is above the "all trades are final" rule inside our little bubble. The company's canned response "you should always pay attention..." will not be sufficient once someone decides to fight. Only the trouble of going through the motions, and people obviously not needing their money or they would, makes most perps get away so easily. Shaming and bullying folks who come forward having made such mistakes serves no purpose other than making the game less safe for yourself.

So, I want to start this with a scheme I see quite frequently, the creation of an auction with the obvious purpose to entrap players with a large ped card who, blurry after hours of grinding or lazy or inattentive for any other reason, would use the leftmost up arrow to buy out an item instead of doing it the safe but tedious way. The buyout price here is so cleverly set that the last two digits show the usual or a plausible markup for this item, exploiting a psychological property in human perception which is liable for blinding out the zeroes to the left all the way up to the hammer. It must be working often enough since they are even willing to pay a substantial fee for the listing. (Another possible explanation might be that they're attempting to pull markups up, but deem it unlikely here. Also that this listing itself is made in error seems unlikely since the price is targeted so accurately.)

Please post what you find, and please don't forget to edit out the names.

As a trap, this is not set very well. To fall into this you must have 9 million ped on your card :)

Take care,
BBB

Precisely :)

Who with 9 million on their PED card is gonna be looking at an LB-15 anyway?

he quite obviously meant 39/42 ped and misclicked the last tier.... maybe your subject has weight but starting the convo with this ss is rediculous.

he quite obviously meant 39/42 ped and misclicked the last tier.... maybe your subject has weight but starting the convo with this ss is rediculous.

Yep. Either an error or someone just having a giggle.
Either way, slim chance it was someone trying to wipe out a member of the game's financial elite, or an attempt to derail or crash the (L) Longblades economy.

:D

I have known countless people who have made the mistake of trying to buy something alike.

It usually is in an hour of tiredness or being distracted.

It usually happens with items with a normal SB, and a rediculously high BO. that graphically resembles the normal % buyout. (for instance an extra 0, like instead of 106.88, 1006.88%)

It usually happens because:
If you want to take an item for BO, and the amount for instance is for instance 390 ped , many of us don't assign/mark type the exact amount of 390 the item costs. Instead we use the following to get it done faster: when the item is like 390 ped, we raise the 'thousands number' with 1. The system will then automatically shows 390 ped, since that is the maximum amount the BO is for that item.

However when seeing unclear after hours of grinding, often way after bedtime, you might overlook the extra '0'. Since we are used to just clicking +1 on the figure before, 390.00 (click +1 on the thousands), 3900.00, (click +1 on the tenthousands)... a mistake like this is made all too often.

To help all players and to prevent all of that problems, the graphical markup must be like the graphical markup on the entropia exchange.

The one on entropia exchange is alot more clear than usual graphical markup on items.

I have known countless people who have made the mistake of trying to buy something alike...

I agree, a common mistake on my part as well since I follow the same method. That being said, the question previously raised is valid; who, with over 9 million PED on their card, is going to be buying an LB-15 from auction?

I think people are rather hasty to judge, and this thread brings to mind a recent thread in which I was put on blast for selling a high-tier (L) item within 6% of it's fair market value, when the poster of said thread had omitted both the current tier of the blade as well as the market value of blades at that tier.

This looks to me like a mistake in listing which ended up costing the seller more than the goal value of the blade itself just for listing. I call this a self correcting deficiency.

not everyone has the power of that "Firefly series actor/ mean ugly dog" guy to call up MA and tell them to recover his lost peds from falling into a AH trap. 30000 peds lost AND recovered if i remember correctly.

for me i will hold a grudge for the rest of my life against the doosh that got my 10 AUDs for 5 peds years ago in that exact same trap. I put a curse on him, when he later told me he put his kids through college using the technique, and as far as I can tell it actually worked. His poor kids get the brunt of this holy retaliation too, which is out of my control now.

so be warned, kiddies, karma is one powerful djinn!

not everyone has the power of that "Firefly series actor/ mean ugly dog" guy to call up MA and tell them to recover his lost peds from falling into a AH trap. 30000 peds lost AND recovered if i remember correctly.

for me i will hold a grudge for the rest of my life against the doosh that got my 10 AUDs for 5 peds years ago in that exact same trap. I put a curse on him, when he later told me he put his kids through college using the technique, and as far as I can tell it actually worked. His poor kids get the brunt of this holy retaliation too, which is out of my control now.

so be warned, kiddies, karma is one powerful djinn!

LOL, lemme guess, was he from Holland?

Anyways, I would also like these traps abolished somehow... never was a vitcim of this.

:smoke::beerchug::smoke:;)

And exactly bc youre a victim If you fall for this "visual" traps, MA must do something about It, they dont want everyone to be a potential victim, specially If Its not for their own lag in the last 2-3 month...lol

./...........

Last edited:
If this is "for giggles", we have another joker here, this time with a more realistic target:

(Edit: Yes I saw that there is no buyout ...)

Last edited:
Caveat Emptor.

Just like RL, EU can be a financial snake pit, thanks to the role of money.

Wherever you have money involved you will always have scammers. Always.

Reactions: San
Caveat Emptor.

Just like RL, EU can be a financial snake pit, thanks to the role of money.

Wherever you have money involved you will always have scammers. Always.

if there wasn't a real devil, i would say money IS the devil.

LOL, lemme guess, was he from Holland?

Anyways, I would also like these traps abolished somehow... never was a vitcim of this.

:smoke::beerchug::smoke:;)

And exactly bc youre a victim If you fall for this "visual" traps, MA must do something about It, they dont want everyone to be a potential victim, specially If Its not for their own lag in the last 2-3 month...lol

It wasnt me. I did setup a study fund for my kids and bought a car and a new game pc with entropia money, but it was profit from CLDs and landareas.

Last edited:
It wasnt me. I did setup a study fund for my kids and bought a car an a new game pc with entropia money, but it was profit from CLDs and landareas.

No It was some other fella, he was quite rude here on forums, laughing in our faces, cant remember his name thou, and I am sure he was using multiple avatars just for auction manipulation etc.
And yeah, so did I, with CLD profit (when sold) I was able to repay a loan to my dear friend Cozzmo. With the help of that loan in 2015 I was able to move from a 36m2 appartment to a 1645m2 property...;-)

Cheers,
Robo

People who can't read numbers should probably not engage in a RCE game.

Or learn the hard way selling a 1k blueprint which was limited btw for alot less. Sometimes when your dealing with limited high mu blueprints the numbers go up to hundreads thousands and some other stuff millions.

They need to clean up the mu on these not just limited blueprints but items as well as their not very clear in auction house just says 99999999.

... in auction house just says 99999999.

try hovering over it with the mouse, you should be able to see the full percentage in a tooltip (strongboxes are a good example)

People who can't read numbers should probably not engage in a RCE game.

But they do, and often the reason why they can't read properly has to do with the game itself and its effects on human psyche. Hence this thread to focus on those who actively go about exploiting such mistakes.

A number of reports or candidates can certainly be discarded applying Hanlon's razor, possibly including the example in OP. As I said, we also want to weed out false positives and leave these on the record so everybody can get a more solid compass.

I received some hints in PM but really don't want to do the publishing on others' behalf.

try hovering over it with the mouse, you should be able to see the full percentage in a tooltip (strongboxes are a good example)

Yeah thats one main things which is annoying when on the next page you have cheaper boxs and im like:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:.

I dont even think the sort by cheapest option ie in terms mu works either for them.

I dont even think the sort by cheapest option ie in terms mu works either for them.

MU cheapest shorting is working both for SB and BO.

Yes, for the SB, but hovering over BO prices will show you the price in PED instead mu%, so overpriced (+1 number in 99999999% for example) items can be spotted more easily.

Some remarkable markup on this one. Might not be technically illegal if it was used for a money transfer, but reckless at best. Take over community wisdom...

attachment.php

tier 8 at around 4k for the unique sale, tier 9 at around......... ooooooh!!!! :scratch2:

:cool:

And an awesome fap at an awesome price! :scratch2:

attachment.php

attachment.php

:cool::cool:

I don't think most of these images are auction manipulation attempts.

Manipulation is something like selling an item either overpriced or under priced and getting a "Friend" to buy it for you while you or your party still own the item before and after the sale. It screws with the MU in Market Value of the item. That's not allowed.

Setting whatever price you want on the other hand, is allowed.

Nothing wrong with donating the fees. Or making a mistake by flipping a 0 further left to a 1, twice. Or trying to improve markups a bit. That is, depending on how well you know the folks who might end up buying these...

Nothing to see, just bananas.

Status
Back