Fix this godforsaken lag

Do you think MA should prioritize fixing this lag above all else?

• Yes

Votes: 143 92.9%
  • No

Votes: 11 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am positive they are working on it, because it must cost real money when people stop hunting out of frustration. This would be a good starting point for our new community manager to communicate.

Amazon has also developed a version of cryengine specifically for AWS based games. Maybe MA could transition to this?

not to be argumentative, i prolly wrong when i do that, but i'm quite sure that lumberyard is not an iteration of cryengine. set me straight?

edit: o i see it was based on cryengine(boooooo)...
https://techguided.com/best-game-engine/

i think this because of the problems star citizen devs had with cryengine (pretty big case) which forced them away and they chose lumberyard.

everytime i think of starcitizen i cry inside because the energy here is stronger. their kickstarter is like 250 million or something and like 2million plus citizens and all they got really is what EU WAS SUPPOSED TO BE.

Last edited:
I am positive they are working on it, because it must cost real money when people stop hunting out of frustration. This would be a good starting point for our new community manager to communicate.

Same on both points shortly :yay: :scratch2:

Just wondering what the motivation is from the people that voted no. :confused:
What do you think the priority is over fixing this unplayable lag?

should have been a public poll... :mad:

I think less people would vote if it was public. That's why I opted for anonymous vote. Although, the downside is that you can't see who voted no.

It baffles me that MA doesn't even bother to take a few minutes of their time to comment on this thread yet, with currently 7 pages and rising.

Just wondering what the motivation is from the people that voted no. :confused:
What do you think the priority is over fixing this unplayable lag?

I haven't actually voted no personally, so I'm not one of those 6 so far. However, nos could be from people not on Caly for whom the lag may be considerably less and cannot judge just how bad it is for Calypsians. Maybe they even think it's good that MA is pissing into the winds of Caly with this, and that people might consider going somewhere else for a bit.
Then there's the relative opportunity answer. If the problem is indeed overloaded servers - and CLD payouts are above average even without events right now as far as I can tell - it's possible the traffic has snarled up massively due to just a few % extra congestion worsening and worsening the lag. My short-term solution would be to add a massive space mob, or even the long-long-long awaited space update to transfer some traffic. That would give players something AND give MA time to properly implement a longer-term anti-lag solution for the next time.

After all, there's fixing and there's fixing - and this game has been fixed without being fixed for far too long, yes? ;)

Maybe if they invested in solid infrastructure and programmers instead of deep(shit)token, holywood movie, castle, compet, greenfunds and other bullshit this wouldn't be an issue. :mad:

I haven't actually voted no personally, so I'm not one of those 6 so far. However, nos could be from people not on Caly for whom the lag may be considerably less and cannot judge just how bad it is for Calypsians.

I've been on Cyrene the past months. Just as bad there.
So that argument won't hold up.

Oh, good to know, thank you. Well, I have in the past experienced too laggy to play conditions, but my weap switching or switch to heal is zero lag for over 90% of the time and I've not even bothered to test the lag waves to see if they are as predictable as old loot waves used to be. My guess is about 30 an hour.

I did try and ask a tech question a few posts ago, but people aren't even writing where they are experiencing the lag, or how it is manifesting itself for them. For me, when it comes during shooting it's about 5 secs of nothing, 2 faileds and then back to normal. The loot lag is on direct clicks about 50% of the time, but isn't affecting gameplay. As I'm not highspeed killing at medium distance I have no need for a lootpill - the mob is in looting range unless I crit kill it.

Just as bad on Ark and RT as it is on Caly for me. My 500/500mbps fiber with 13ms latency doesn't help me one bit.

It's getting pretty bad. Sometimes I run more than my autoloot range towards the next mob and then have to run back because it never looted. Even the most simple functions like removing armor plates can take a while. Pretty frustrating.

I for one like the lag..It might be a new feature...it creates anticipation on when will the lag end and what is it going to show me that already happened... My favorite is I drive all the way back to tp, then poof I'm back halfway to where I was and hit a tree I thought I had driven around. I ended up giving up and recall vehicle to storage and took a nice jog to the tp.. My entropian resourcefulness has never before been so tested....

This game needs a "server is full" message with an estimated queue time, oh and an engine that works

I think less people would vote if it was public. That's why I opted for anonymous vote. Although, the downside is that you can't see who voted no.

It baffles me that MA doesn't even bother to take a few minutes of their time to comment on this thread yet, with currently 7 pages and rising.
It's still the weekend in Sweden

Same shit on Arkadia this past month.

Oh, good to know, thank you. Well, I have in the past experienced too laggy to play conditions, but my weap switching or switch to heal is zero lag for over 90% of the time and I've not even bothered to test the lag waves to see if they are as predictable as old loot waves used to be. My guess is about 30 an hour.

I did try and ask a tech question a few posts ago, but people aren't even writing where they are experiencing the lag, or how it is manifesting itself for them. For me, when it comes during shooting it's about 5 secs of nothing, 2 faileds and then back to normal. The loot lag is on direct clicks about 50% of the time, but isn't affecting gameplay. As I'm not highspeed killing at medium distance I have no need for a lootpill - the mob is in looting range unless I crit kill it.
This also describes the lag I almost always experience these past few months, however there seem to also be some much shorter lag times interspersed between the big ones which are more game breaking for me because equipping a healing tool during one of those lag mini-spikes results in red Failed and me dead (whereas loot lag always eventually resolves itself and damage lag almost always does too).

Graphics loads should result in badly drawn graphics, not in ctd.

Chat is text. Flat text uses nearly no bandwidth. What happens in the chat box should not ever use enough bandwidth to generate perceptible lag.

Last edited:
its funny though as all the latest changes like codex and the hud overhaul where marketed as performance improving changes, but the performance gets worse and worse anyway. so maybe they tried to increase performance but are too stupid to actually code anything and end up messing it up even further. is there even anyone at MA who knows coding or is it all done via external contractors? either way it would be best to just fire everyone involved in coding and hire new ones. cant really be worse.

its funny though as all the latest changes like codex and the hud overhaul where marketed as performance improving changes, but the performance gets worse and worse anyway. so maybe they tried to increase performance but are too stupid to actually code anything and end up messing it up even further. is there even anyone at MA who knows coding or is it all done via external contractors? either way it would be best to just fire everyone involved in coding and hire new ones. cant really be worse.

I think they need to increase the size of development team no matter what. We need both more
and faster implementations of features and fixes.

Codex might be easier on performance but isn't that AFTER they have removed all old missions?
Can't really expect to se improvements if we get something that is less strain on system on top
of something that is bad on performance... ;)

There is clearly a difference between the "usual" lag and the one which, as it has been said several times, appeared at the implementation of VU 17.1 (on March 3rd if I remember correctly)

It's true that the usual lag should be dealt with as well, the servers clearly have a lot of trouble when there's an influx of many players, especially at the weekend.
Or when a lot of players are in the same place, for example during an event, then the server gets a lot of time behind on the calculations and everything is done with a constant delay.

But the peaks of lag followed by 3 Failed, are something different IMO, which is created by something specific that causes problems. (in the coding or in the infrastructure)

This weekend was particularly terrible since we had both kinds of lag at the same time..

I think it would be a good idea to roll back before the VU 17.1.

First of all it would confirm or deny that these new lag spikes come from there.
It would only take 24 hours to figure out if it was created by that VU.

If it is the case, it would then be necessary to reimplement the VU 17.1 part by part to see which part is the cause of the problem.

If it is not the case... well good luck to find out where the problem comes from.

Apart from that there is one thing I noticed about this "new" lag.

It seems to me that most of times, it's the exact moment we log-in that defines whether or not we'll have these lags during the session.

Most of the time, either I have these lags for the whole session, or I don't have them at all.
For example, it almost never happens that the lag spikes appear after 1 hour ingame.
Either they don't appear at all, or they appear at the moment of connection and stay until disconnection.

I don't know what that means, but to me it sounds like it's technically useful information.

Sometimes I get these famous lag spikes every 30 seconds, I relog and they're gone.
Sometimes I relog 3/4 times in a row and I can't "catch a session" without lag.

And this strangely reminds me of something, I don't remember when at all, but I'm sure it's already happened in the past.

I just hop over to a different server when it lags atm ashi twin just hell holes for it. Still get some lag but its funny how going from one server to another over the weekend how bad certain places are yet others crafting wise completely clear with odd stutter.

Two maintenance windows. And you guys were not able to solve it.
Hire an outside person that is an actual professional who can learn how your servers are coded to fix this mess of a alpha game. Don't be cheap for fuck sakes.

Also when the server lag. Your avatar gets frozen and cant do anything. However the mob continues to attack you and you can't fap back, though it seems if you got a fapper healing you that lives in another location than you the fapper can still heal you.

This is known as assholedesign and should be changed. If your avatar gets frozen it should no longer be able to be attacked by mobs or other avatars...

Two maintenance windows. And you guys were not able to solve it.
Hire an outside person that is an actual professional who can learn how your servers are coded to fix this mess of a alpha game. Don't be cheap for fuck sakes.

Also when the server lag. Your avatar gets frozen and cant do anything. However the mob continues to attack you and you can't fap back, though it seems if you got a fapper healing you that lives in another location than you the fapper can still heal you.

This is known as assholedesign and should be changed. If your avatar gets frozen it should no longer be able to be attacked by mobs or other avatars...

It's due to your client lose contact with server but server "believe" you are still there but are inactive.
Maybe server should do a check with client if it's still connected but on the other hand, this will put
even more strain on servers if it gonna do a check for every client that have been inactive X amount
of time.
Every avatar that stand still due to checking auction, or player is in kitchen grabbing something
to eat, on toilet, having a phonecall and so on will be checked, in other words a shitload of checking
that isn't necessary. Whatever it is that makes the client lose contact so often should be looked in to.

Yesterday evening the servers were much much betters (at least for me), so its a good progress.

Yesterday evening the servers were much much betters (at least for me), so its a good progress.

I had the oposite, had more different kind of issues, but luckily I had decided to hunt
and do things in a way that it didn't matter if issues occured. (Slow MF chip).:silly2:

This has been a problem for years, and it's unfair. In my opinion they should put an avatar affected by this in Arrival Protection if the issue persists longer than 2-3 seconds (the client can already detect this).

arrival_protection.jpg

The same thing you get when you teleport, but activated when you are lagged out for a few seconds. Same rules apply, if any action gets to the server the protection is lost (it means you recovered connectivity).

Although, I'm sure some asshole player somewhere would find a way to abuse it.

On topic: Lag problems have not been fixed, I didn't notice an improvement at all...

Back