Wild guess about current "lag". What's yours?

I like the idea of everyone staying home and using the internet like the first post said. Although there has always be lag at times this is more that usual. IMO

From my firewall log I know that most of the time my lag comes from connection issues right now, nothing I could blame MA for.
Some minor lagging may be due to MA.

Rest of it is probably from some idiots that still believe they can enhance their connection with third party software.
Why I think that ?
Because it is strange that over and over the same avas enter an area and suddenly the lagging starts and like magic it disappears when they are gone.
And troubleshooting something like that is a nightmare, because there are occurances wher something like that can also happen because of misconfigured networks somewhere inbetween,
Still, most of the time it is people still believing in speed hacks (and overloading networks with dropped packets along the road, just to have maybe one arrive a nanosecond earlier)

It's not on my network.
I do see the avatar lag.
That happens to me from aircraft even flying over me.
I'll run a ping to a local IP and my network don't even flinch.

It effects everyone so it must be coming from Sweden!

Thousands of multiple accounts created to do newbies missions receiving gifts and free money from the game, thats accounts generate lag. Besides robing peds without creating value. This will be eliminated if the ID, Passport or a Valid Credit Card with the name of the account owner is requested for each new account created.

Last edited:
18ms ping to 8.8.8.8
.... my money is on the notion that whoever MA has farmed out hosting to, is bad at network configuration and/or everything.

WOW, I don't know about anyone else but I had very little lag yesterday and what I did have could well have been normal internet lag. I am very happy !

Thousands of multiple accounts created to do newbies missions receiving gifts and free money from the game, thats accounts generate lag. Besides robing peds without creating value. This will be eliminated if the ID, Passport or a Valid Credit Card with the name of the account owner is requested for each new account created.

I wonder, noob mission farming is probably a thing, and I imagine you could gain peds faster than sweating on a single account...I would think MA could easily find this since it is likely there is a main account all those farmed peds are being traded too, but might not be something they feel is worth their time....

I wonder, noob mission farming.....I would think MA could easily find this since it is likely there is a main account all those farmed peds are being traded too, but might not be something they feel is worth their time....

I think MA could not find it because they don't get the money out of the game. Rather, they lend it inside to other players and then ask them outside using paypal or equivalent. In such case, it is best to identify the owner of each new account well to avoid this potential problem - lag and robbing -. (With their passport or better a valid credit card - before giving them any free in-game money -.)

Last edited:
Intermittent network issue between some of the (presumably hosted) back-end servers. Hosting provider points finger at MA, MA points finger at hosting provider. Both sides required to produce "evidence" that the other is at fault. Typical silo-d mentality ...

Intermittent network issue between some of the (presumably hosted) back-end servers. Hosting provider points finger at MA, MA points finger at hosting provider. Both sides required to produce "evidence" that the other is at fault. Typical silo-d mentality ...

Indeed, I've seen this so many times. Honestly, the problem to me reeks of a bad NIC or switch port, but that would imply that they've got everything on a single server, which to my understanding is not the case (though would certainly be easy to do with less than 10k players).

Can't understand why any MMO in 2020 would not be containerized and hosted on Amazon EKS, but maybe it would simply be too expensive for EU.

A couple of observations:

1) When this particular type of lag occurs, I'm not seeing any change in my latency (maybe others can confirm) - to me this is a indicator that it's not due to network congestion.

2) MA has now made it so that mobs don't damage you while this lag is occurring - this is somewhat telling. That means they've got code in place that can determine when this problem is occurring - but think about that. If #1 is true, then you can't use latency spikes to determine this, so how would you? It almost seems to indicate they MA does in fact know about something happening on the back-end that they are able to detect but don't know how to fix.

1) When this particular type of lag occurs, I'm not seeing any change in my latency (maybe others can confirm) - to me this is a indicator that it's not due to network congestion.

2) MA has now made it so that mobs don't damage you while this lag is occurring - this is somewhat telling. That means they've got code in place that can determine when this problem is occurring - but think about that. If #1 is true, then you can't use latency spikes to determine this, so how would you? It almost seems to indicate they MA does in fact know about something happening on the back-end that they are able to detect but don't know how to fix.

Occasionally I remarked about this asymmetry that, seemingly, damage you receive was applied immediately in the client, while damage you deal required a server response before it could be applied. When such a discrepancy occurred, it didn't matter whether game servers were lagging or my connection was at fault, both did happen independently from each other. I would imagine that earlier this was done to relieve the servers from too much work. It is logical that the part about damage dealt by you needs to be communicated at once to the central state register and other clients nearby, whereas information about your own condition arriving a little later doesn't break progress of the entire simulation. The clients can catch up with it, such is a typical cause of rubberbanding effects. (This does not apply to pvp, ofc, but I have no experience of how the system deals with synchronizing issues there.)

I imagine removing this asymmetry was relatively easy now since the return time of the last server response upon your action is known immediately and could be used to put a stopper when found above average, or using whatever metric is suitable.

Since the lag occurs likewise on planets with lower activity, I would assume it has to do with something further in the back of their infrastructure, where all the locality servers have to come together and access a common database. (And if increased activity alone was the reason, that would have had to exceed a threshold exactly upon a specific, recent VU. Cough.)

I imagine removing this asymmetry was relatively easy now since the return time of the last server response upon your action is known immediately and could be used to put a stopper when found above average, or using whatever metric is suitable.

Right, but since the latency isn't changing, then we know that the server is still responding at least at the network level. That means they put a mechanism in place that knows when the client-server communication is failing in spite of the network connection being fine. That's why I say this change is very telling - it means that they already know it's not network congestion.

Reactions: San
So heres my latest lag effect.
When you first turn in 3rd person view you are camera unlocked to make a nice turn then the camera locks.
The previous lag was packet jamming somewhere in their route.
Now it seems like they think by slowing down the throughput it will fix something??
BS

I ues my keyboard to get around.
Now after I do my turn the camera won't lock.
Ill be pulling a mob and my mouse/camera goes into unlock mode.
This sucks!!

The way I get out of it is to hit the alt key twice to put myself into 3rd person again.
That lags out too and eventually ill be unlocked with no keyboard control.
So basically it becomes a joke like swimming and flying planet side!

Im trying to get my Iron missions done so I can take a break from this BS.

Last edited:
I don't know about you all but my lag is almost gone after this patch. I get a little from time to time but it only for a second or two and not often, Something I would call normal, like just internet lag.

I don't know about you all but my lag is almost gone after this patch. I get a little from time to time but it only for a second or two and not often, Something I would call normal, like just internet lag.

Maybe because other people lost its connection?? :D

Was able to stay 1 hour in mayhem event after the patch but then I gave up. lag every second Mulmun, I was not able to do anything but Mulmun still hitting me.

so for me no lag fixed with this patch. but got no disconnects though

Back