Question: Memory Leak?

Mega

Chaotic Good
Society
Kaos
MegaVolt
memory_leak.jpg

A Soc mate informed me he was receiving a low memory error message, so I naturally said, 'time to upgrade that 8 Gig of RAM'. However he had 16 Gig of RAM which I feel should be sufficient.

I have 32 Gig of RAM, but am able to reproduce the issue he had in the screenshot above.

I saw some new players reporting of crashes and that is typically overheating or memory problems where Entropia is concerned during the Summer months.

Anyone else having issues?

could be the graphics card? i get the low memory massage when i have to temporarily use my on-board graphics card.

Yeah for me its a vram issue, my graphics card has 8gb and as it'll slowly creep towards 8gb used then crash

My graphics card is 4 Gb RAM, and I've just chatted to another Win7 user who is showing 2.6 Gb RAM in Task Manager and not having any issues at all.

memory_leak_15gig.jpg

It isn't getting any better as you can see above and that's with approximately 3.5 hours session time.

I'm done for tonight. Sleep well. :zzz:

On mobile so can't easily locate previous thread, but I tested this with several hours of perfmon and it was leaking about 1GB per 45 mins, but this was several VUs ago so no idea if it's better or worse now.

But yes , it definitely leaks.

I can still run it on a xeon E5450 lga 771 cpu with 8 gb of ram and a gtx 960.

Yep, been having this issue for a while now. Not tech savvy enough to know what's causing it though.

I've noticed a memory leak recently too. Sucks because my laptop ends up using a lot of virtual memory reducing the lifespan of my ssd and creating a lot of heat too. Only way to free up the memory is to log out of windows and log back in.

Seems worst on Caly, there it can hit memory limit and crash out in an hour or two. On RT and Monria I can be running for >16hrs and no problems at all

Same problem yes now and then i get it ..

Same problem exists when playing with Wine on Linux (yes, it isn't supported, just saying that the problem isn't based on some Windows-internal thingie). Just simply standing around and sweating at Boreas or Royal Club requires relogging like every 40 minutes or so.

CP is the worst of all.
Stand there for a few mins and you will soon run out of memory.
If I am in one of the domes or the cave I'm ok.
If I am in the main building I will run out of memory.
If I try to craft... Then I will run out FAST!!
If I fly back to Calypso the game does not release the memory, and I will have to log out and back in to play on Calypso.
Iv been saying this for months!!

AND....
WHY ARE WE IN WINDOWED FULL SCREEN MODE!!!!

memory_leak_22gig_after_6hours.jpg

The only observation I have so far is memory increase doesnt go up when there are no other green dots around.

It looks like Version 17.2 isn't too far away, perhaps it will disappear then.

Yes i have noticed memory leak too. Not sure what the reason is but at one point Entropia was using 7GB of my 8GB RAM.

Yep, been having that problem too ... I would crash out 2-3 times per weekend session

i seem to remember a time when i had hope ... but my memory seems to be overloaded...

No crashes here so far for me. But the CPU last week were more visible. I will check the RAM more and see if it causes any trouble (looks good so far)

I've had trouble for years but back then it was because I only had 4GB RAM. I used to use some sort of fix that allowed windows to allocate more than half the system RAM to a process (there was a historical issue with windows in that some bright spark used the MSB of the address to determine is something was system or process RAM).

These days I've got 6GB and have yet to use that fix but I do notice the low memory warning start in game after a while. Normally this is if I loiter at the newbie area on Caly.

Fairly certain the leak is something to do with avatars showing up and somehow something about them or their gear not being de-allocated properly after they are gone.

Wistrel

PS maybe someone should just stand in the newbie area on Caly for a bit and record a video of the RAM going up and up and the radar on display. It should be pretty apparent how many avatars are around.

- just to chime in, iv noticed that creating/ painting make-up masks tend to gradually eats away memory until entropia uses all system memory and crashes. On the video card side, iv noticed on motherships if your repairing Propulsion my video card doubles its load and increases temperatures to around 84c (normally running about 60) :scratch: iv played around with graphics properties and turning shaders to safe mode seemed to help a little on the gpu front(but game looks awfully dark with no ability to change brightness or contrast) .

- just to chime in, iv noticed that creating/ painting make-up masks tend to gradually eats away memory until entropia uses all system memory and crashes. On the video card side, iv noticed on motherships if your repairing Propulsion my video card doubles its load and increases temperatures to around 84c (normally running about 60) :scratch: iv played around with graphics properties and turning shaders to safe mode seemed to help a little on the gpu front(but game looks awfully dark with no ability to change brightness or contrast) .
what would this activity be called i wonder? pre-alpha testing?

So I keep telling people that cryengine is a dead engine and they get upset and butt hurt. Telling me they don't care about graphics. But the engine isn't just about graphics. It's the reality of the video game. It's what creates the physics etc etc. Manages the code and performances of the game. If you don't update your OS on your PC it causes memory leks, can allow more viruses to infect cause of security holes etc. It inherently weakens the computer. Same thing can be said for a video game especially in The scope and size of EU.

I have taught my self C# and unity 3D and even though cryengine and unity are different. They do essentially the same thing. They just go about it differently. Most people don't know that Amazon's lumber yard is a better and up to date cryengine. If you look when you log in cryengines rights ended in 2015 under near where mind arks logos and copy write is.

So this prob will get worse. I'm not trying to create conflict. No am I crying about graphics. But we need a new engine very soon. Or the game could put it's self into check mate.

Also from what I heard, ma out sources alot of their labor. This can ontop of other things further cause issues.

And it's graphics card memory not your mb RAM.

Again i mean no disrespect but I honestly bad fully believe this is the games biggest issue. In many many cases

So I keep telling people that cryengine is a dead engine and they get upset and butt hurt. Telling me they don't care about graphics. But the engine isn't just about graphics. It's the reality of the video game. It's what creates the physics etc etc. Manages the code and performances of the game. If you don't update your OS on your PC it causes memory leks, can allow more viruses to infect cause of security holes etc. It inherently weakens the computer. Same thing can be said for a video game especially in The scope and size of EU.

I have taught my self C# and unity 3D and even though cryengine and unity are different. They do essentially the same thing. They just go about it differently. Most people don't know that Amazon's lumber yard is a better and up to date cryengine. If you look when you log in cryengines rights ended in 2015 under near where mind arks logos and copy write is.

So this prob will get worse. I'm not trying to create conflict. No am I crying about graphics. But we need a new engine very soon. Or the game could put it's self into check mate.

Also from what I heard, ma out sources alot of their labor. This can ontop of other things further cause issues.

And it's graphics card memory not your mb RAM.

Again i mean no disrespect but I honestly bad fully believe this is the games biggest issue. In many many cases
Hopefully this it isn't too off topic :S but I do agree with most of what you said. Except that we need a new game engine. A game engine at its core is just a collection of frameworks to build a game. So what they should probably do is push development on the core tech.(Probably has been happening without us really knowing... has been more bugs recently?)... as I highly doubt they are running a pure cryengine build, and probably should be considered a MindArk's custom engine.Similarly to what star citizen is doing with Lumberyard, creating Star Engine.Thats just my thoughts anyways ( I could be completely wrong lol)

Hopefully this it isn't too off topic :S but I do agree with most of what you said. Except that we need a new game engine. A game engine at its core is just a collection of frameworks to build a game. So what they should probably do is push development on the core tech.(Probably has been happening without us really knowing... has been more bugs recently?)... as I highly doubt they are running a pure cryengine build, and probably should be considered a MindArk's custom engine.Similarly to what star citizen is doing with Lumberyard, creating Star Engine.Thats just my thoughts anyways ( I could be completely wrong lol)
MA had such a difficult time upgrading their game engine that they won't even contemplate doing it again. users also hated the process so much they will exsanguinate anyone that suggests another. shhhh! don't tell them i think we should upgrade the game engine!!

Back