Suggestion: Greatly improve the Economy: Repairing using materials at 101% conversion rate. The repairing version of shrapnel.

Steinmeyer

Guardian
Society
Freelancer
Lord Vondur Steinmeyer
Improve the Economy: Repairing using materials at 101% conversion rate. The repairing version of shrapnel.

Whenever we can gather MU resources in EU without using resources created or gathered by other players thats bad for the economy. This happens when we repair an UL item or buy ammo from the TT machine (wich is why shrapnel is a great idea.)
L items are great for the economy but less fun and rewarding to have than UL items.

This is a simple way to combat the detrimental and unrealistic effects of UL items on the economy of EU without nerfing them.

All UL items would have simple categories of materials with wich you could repair them.
You throw whatever lysterium or oil etc into the repair window along with the item you wish to repair. Like you do with residues while crafting.

The categories of materials needs to be very simple and broad, anything made of metal could be repaired with any "metal ingots" or even broader category of metal things or residues.
I realise this would essentially make all UL items have usage markup of 100,5-101% but Im thinking MA could be nice enough to give this system a 101% conversion rate just like shrapnel.

We're missing out on a huge part of a functioning economy by not having "goods and services" by other players be needed in the repairing process. This system would eat up a lot of low MU resources!

The only problem I see with this is that its a bit more complicated. One part of fixing that would be that you could put way more material than you need into the repair machine and then having it there like a storage for future repairing.

Edit: Sorry if this has already been discussed. I've been away for 7 years.

Last edited:
The only problem I see with this is that its a bit more complicated. One part of fixing that would be that you could put way more material than you need into the repair machine and then having it there like a storage for future repairing.

The main problem I see with this is that those folks holding UL items ALREADY PAID MARKUP TO OBTAIN THOSE ITEMS!... UL items already are at a slight disadvantage vs L items of the same type due to stats being slightly different. Don't nerf em any more.

If MA would give this a 101% conversion rate like with shrapnel its not even a nerf. Could be an advantage to UL items even. Whenever you can get ahold of <101% materials.

Also, if this could help the economy everyone wins.

Alternatively this system could be completely optional and work along side the current system.
You could choose to repair the normal way or you could add whatever material and get 101% repair value from that.

Also, if this could help the economy everyone wins.

There is just one fix for the economy as a whole, crafting need to be reworked and become the center of the economy. The amount of UL items just keeps on growing while the playerbase keeps on the same level.

Although i don't dislike the idea posted, i have no believe this will change the enonomy.

"Greatly improve the economy" was probably an exaggeration. But its one part of it.

Best case would be that every aspect of goods and services are provided by players. We could maybe have weapon repairers etc even. Ammo crafters and merchants, wich they've taken a step towards with shrapnel and EP's.

So let me understand this, your thinking is that items that don't have an MU (which excludes oil/lyst as they have a higher MU than 101%) could be used to repair UL items. You would then get a 101% conversion on those with repairing. Your reasoning is that anything that is not generated/gathered from other players is one of the reasons the economy is broken.

While this may give items that are TT fodder a little bit of MU, most of that would not be used by the playerbase (like shrapnel, many either use it or still TT it as its not worth their time to sell it). What will happen is that anytime someone goes to TT something, instead they will use it to repair their UL weapon and get a 101% conversion, which is more than what they would have got by the TT machine.

You are essentially giving more reason for someone to own an UL weapon...which by your accounts is causing:

detrimental and unrealistic effects of UL items on the economy

or maybe we just need salvage/refining for unlimited items.

when refining it you gain various materials, like various ingots, maybe some components and/or precious stones like piles of opals... that eventually would get rid of a lot of UL items. forcing much more players to use L items.

So your solution for the "detrimental" UL items is to make them even more unbalanced and desirable by giving them a further 1% reduction on repair costs? Did I miss something? :scratch2:

BTW VirtuVerse does this (at 100%) and it doesn't miraculously stimulate the economy. All it does is save clicks by allowing you to throw trash materials directly into the repair rather than have to go find a TT machine.

So let me understand this, your thinking is that items that don't have an MU (which excludes oil/lyst as they have a higher MU than 101%) could be used to repair UL items. You would then get a 101% conversion on those with repairing. Your reasoning is that anything that is not generated/gathered from other players is one of the reasons the economy is broken.

While this may give items that are TT fodder a little bit of MU, most of that would not be used by the playerbase (like shrapnel, many either use it or still TT it as its not worth their time to sell it). What will happen is that anytime someone goes to TT something, instead they will use it to repair their UL weapon and get a 101% conversion, which is more than what they would have got by the TT machine.

You are essentially giving more reason for someone to own an UL weapon...which by your accounts is causing:

Thanks, I agree with the good points in the first part that it might just have a very small effect, but I still think its good if UL items would use up resources.

The last part is a bit off though, first off Im not against UL items! We must have them, striving for great items is kind of the core of a MMORPG after all. But they do come with a problem in that they create resources without using them!

So I dont want to get rid of them, and I want people to have reasons to own them.

So your solution for the "detrimental" UL items is to make them even more unbalanced and desirable by giving them a further 1% reduction on repair costs? Did I miss something? :scratch2:

BTW VirtuVerse does this (at 100%) and it doesn't miraculously stimulate the economy. All it does is save clicks by allowing you to throw trash materials directly into the repair rather than have to go find a TT machine.

Maybe I was just unclear, should have said that one aspect of UL items is detrimental to the economy. My suggestion was not against the existance of UL items, just this one aspect of them!
Also extremely doubtful that this would be a buff, more likely a very slight nerf.

You could be completely right in the last part though that this wouldn't change much at all! Not sure how it would play out and how much material would be sucked up by this system. Wich would also determine if this would be a buff or nerf to UL items.

Btw, its very clear when returning after many years that MA is trying to shift the game into this direction. Its just very basic economics. They are nice enough to not outright nerf UL items, but they change the surrounding enviroment and add new and attractive L items that are better for the economy.

If everything was player generated and we'd never had a repair terminal or TT machine and they would implement it now it would be obvious to everyone how terrible it would be. Everyonwould be like THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!
DERK A DERRRR..

Last edited:
Ok. Makes sense that this has been discussed, its such a obvious problem to adress.

My suggestion isn't great the more I think about it. I didnt consider how much people are TT'ing stuff anyway, probably since I really try to avoid it myself.
So it kind of evens out, even though its not ppls UL items are eating up materials as per my suggestion, they TT them and use repair terminal instead so the materials are eaten up at close to the same rate anyway.
So the materials are already taking part in the repair process.

Thats why my suggestion would have a marginal effect at best.

Last edited:
The ability to spend shrapnel to repair and get 101% gain by so doing, would be really a blessing for melee hunters like myself. That is all.

Back