How To Play Entropia

aVaLON_52

Elite
Society
ᴄʀɪᴍꜱᴏɴ ᴅᴇᴠɪʟꜱ
Avalon Butterfly Erupter
Maybe this should be a blog post, but no one reads those so I'll discuss here.

I finally placed in an event after 9 years. Not sure how long I'll stay there but it's still exciting nonetheless. Competing was fun, thank you for those of you that supported me on twitch.

I don't think Skilling is to difficult. One of my goals is or was to reach level 100+ as it unlocks so many possibilities for firepower.

But then there is another element.
Events, and remaining competitive.
I know you guys who are hardcore with this stuff are willing to chip out etc. I guess that's preference. Even some of you give skills away for free. Perhaps that's justified if there skills don't matter much to you in general.

I'm considering another strategy which is, just using other weapons to stall the growth of skills that would hinder you from playing in a category.

This isn't my ideal way of playing the game but that's the virtual world we live in. As much as I'd like to level up.. do I really want to throw away my ability to compete in the mid categorie?

Moving up gets expensive I'm sure, and once locked in that cat 10.. not sure if I can compete with you guys at that... Price range...

Interesting game. Not exactly sure where to go from here. Open to suggestions. How do you guys play this game? I know someone said to just have fun... But there's a cost to having fun too... You may be joyfully skilling out of a category that you could easily compete in.

This is the model. The structure of Entropia's events.
10 categories.
Random points.
Profession caps for each category.

I'm not knocking it. Just having a dialogue (also my current dilemma) about how to play the game. For fun? Or for events..

Mindark definitely needs to extend past level 105 for categories, I win so much more points in mayhem in lower category than my soc mates all in cat 10 with much better gear.

I've definitely stayed in lower categories skilling so many different types of weapon, but wish it was more viable to move up to higher category and still have a chance, which is not the case.

I have more or less given up on competing to win. Ill never have the ped card or skills to win so most of the veterans of my soc have gone back to the basics. We have a weekly opallo hunt. Burnout on the cost to participate is sending some of us on vacations lasting 3-4 weeks sometimes. TT guns seems to be the answer to cheap fun.

Now you would not think that there would be any interest in this but it seems I'm turning away members that want to join in because the team is full. Newcomers and vets alike seem ready every week and there are only a handfull of mobs that 12 TT guns can not handle. We have fun, Develop relations in the soc and our attendance seems up lately.

Might not be the fix your looking for but I cannot say that anyone that hunts with us is having a boring day .

Look for our globals any Sat after 2100.

And yes, were playing for fun now because the other seems so much like a job now.

Casper
Drop Zone

I am in the process from switching from laser to blp at lvl 74 laser hit, this was one of the reasons. A much higher skilled player than me told me that at my level, still with the goal of reaching level 100, swapping makes very little difference. lvl 74 hit means bugger all if your damage is only lvl 70.

After 9 years - reaching lvl 100 is still a long way off. Interstingly when i scan players over lvl 100 most of the time there stats between hit and dmg are very similar, either they are giving away these hard earned skills or they are swapping between weapon types to pull up weaker skills.

I totally agree with the OP that this would be a great way to continue skilling whilst remaining in your preffered category.

Obviously all skills pull other skills up over time so it's important not to inadverently exceed your desired cap.

First of all I never aimed to participate in any Mayhem event. The way it's designed is much easier, and cheap, to finish on top places for lower categories, like category five and below. You end up getting the placement token and that is what matters I guess cause the regular mayhem tokens can be looted.

I started the game long ago when the Mayhem event structure was completely different, there wasn't even a single mission back then. I have fun playing and see my avatar being stronger each day. I value a lot HP and defense skills and the fact that I can use more powerful weapons that I couldn't some years ago. I can now use weaker plates and hunt the same thing that I did 5 years ago with 5B's and is fun to notice this progress even if sometimes it takes years.
But I'm in same situation as Moondog, hit is already above lvl 80 but damage is lvl 77, I know that after get kill strike that gape will shrink cause kill strike skill is great boost for all dmg professions. But then I will be competing in cat. 8/9 with very strong competition.

So I end up where to chip out to a point that I would have a chance with my budget I would need to chip out a tone of skills and I don't wanna see that plus the price of ESI is insane and the 10% lost while chipping out. One more way of MA to make sure most of players will never withdraw those peds hold in the form of skill points.

This way I'm probably playing for fun, of course aiming the highest possible MU, trying to finish missions here and there and checking daily missions for "free" weapons. The only Mayhem I enjoy is the Merry Mayhem because of the farming of stars in the free for all instances.

It's the way it is, they are the dev's they should know better than most of us. But a system that don't encourage the chipping out but then have 10 different categories for competitions in events, where it seems to be the main way of make some nice profit, is not much fair.
This only encourages players to create a new avatar for wife/friend/sister/dog so they can compete at those lower cat. where the chances to win are better with a low budget. Maybe that is what they want so they can brag about millions of accounts created but then it's nonsense in game that claim to have infinite skilling system.

One more point, there's also players that borrow/rent their uber unL guns high tiered and you end up seeing 4 or 5 of the top places in the same category being won all with the same weapon. To me that's is ridiculous and one more way to discourage participation in Mayhem events.

It's the way it is, they are the dev's they should know better than most of us. But a system that don't encourage the chipping out but then have 10 different categories for competitions in events, where it seems to be the main way of make some nice profit, is not much fair.

Maybe this type of system should be changed.. maybe. It does foster an environment whereas leveling up is not necessarily a good thing. Quite the dilemma us Entropedians are faced with.

I was thinking.. what would be a balanced event though? What would be fair.. and it does get tricky here. I do think the random point element helps with this balance.

Other events I enjoy that seem somewhat balanced are the HSL (Highest Single Loot) events on LA's. I'm not too sure how it can balance out to form an environment where players want to level up. I suppose it does have some benefits, such as ability to use wider variety of weapons and the higher categories do have greater rewards.

Back