Yog Pet Buff Issue

[h=3]Yog Pet Buff Issue[/h]

Along with the server hotfix which corrected the pet buff issue, Summer Mayhem scores for 12 participants were removed, due to the possibility that the incorrect pet buff may have been active during those sessions. Please note that those removed scores do not necessarily constitute clear evidence of cheating or abuse on the part of the affected participants. For that reason, those participants were not disqualified from the event, as some participants have called for. However, out of an abundance of caution to ensure the integrity of the Summer Mayhem event, it was decided to remove those scores, even if it was not absolutely certain that there was an intention to gain an unfair advantage in the event.

Additionally, some participants have demanded a review of the results from previous Mayhem events where the unintended Yog pet buff may have provided an advantage, inadvertently or intentionally. We will be conducting this investigation over the next few weeks, with the intention of increasing the prize rewards for any participants who were pushed down in the final standings due to another higher-placing participant benefitting from the unintended pet buff.

Due to the unintended Yog pet buff being available for such an extended period of time, despite support cases that should have resulted in the issue being addressed, and considering that it is not possible to definitively conclude that use of the pet was in every case intended to exploit the buff to gain an advantage, MindArk has decided it would be unfair and impractical to punish participants who directly or indirectly benefited from the unintended buff, for example stripping prizes awarded in previous Mayhem events.

Once again, we want to extend our apologies for the confusion and inconvenience this issue has caused. We are continually improving our processes to hopefully prevent and minimize such incidents in the future.

Originally Posted Here

What a weak response. I agree completely with what almost all said before me and I will include that below. Now we know Mayhems can be exploited with the minimum punishment possible. Why should anyone else not exploit advantageous bugs to gain the advantage if there is only a MINIMAL chance of being punished for it? What kind of precedent are you trying to set here?

Who would use a yog in mayhem if it weren't for the buff... seriously.

Hmmmm good question... :scratch2:

Nonsense. There is zero reason to have a Yog spawned with the buff active if not to deliberately abuse the bug.

If you can work out enough to fairly reward the people who suffered, you can work out enough to punish the people who cheated.

Players: There is a serious bug that allows very unfair advantage in a competition for real prizes. Please do something to deter this!

MA: *drops feather on wrists of exploiters

Exploiters: Oh nO mY FiRst Run wAs ReSeT wHaT EveR WiLl i Do NoW??!!!11??

Also Exploiters: Glad I sold my ill gotten gains and MA is doing nothing about it! On to the next exploit because nothing will be done about it and the reward outweighs the risk at this point!! :dancing:

Add to that, why would anyone bring a mining buff pet into mayhem instance for HOURS if not to intentionally make use of some exploit?

if 10 people did it intentionally and 1 on accident, there's still plenty of causation to punish everyone regardless. ignorance is borderline no excuse and 25% FR is pretty recognizable. Additionally, you could surely trace the yog horror pet from account to account and figure it out...

Totally agree with the sentiment here. To be fair though, they did say they are going to investigating it further over the next few weeks and in reality this kind of a thing takes time to dig through logs and follow the data.

So DannyO gets reset and locked, but the people that have been exploiting for how long now and taking advantage of all the others competing in mayhem, nothing? Really? As always, the cheaters get to keep cheating. Nothing surprising there. Why would anyone ever report a bug in this game if you are never going to ban or punish the people exploiting? This is proof 100% that you do not even take your own TOS seriously, and that its perfectly ok to cheat or exploit other players as long as its not your pockets being affected. But gg MA, its not like the people that took a pet with a mining buff into personal instances for mayhem had any ill intentions or wanted to exploit the bug they clearly had no idea about.

Fair point and further shows that MA is willing to set a precedent that cheating/exploiting is fine (as long as they are the ones making the $$$) and will only punish minimally if enough backlash is spammed in PCF.

mindark you make me sick!

refusing to call it an exploit, these ppl intentionally used the pet for unfair advantage.. doesnt get more simple than that.

this is horsesh1t

We all know this, MA just turns a blind eye to it.

While I agree with you, that it's pretty safe to assume that 95% of the people using them in Mayhem Instances are guilty. I do believe it's possible that there were a small percentage of dedicated miners who may have spawned the pet to level it up, unaware it was having the effect it did.

While there a valid point here, those that have the buff active are 100% purposefully exploiting. They should be punished much much more harsh. If there is an innocent player that was "Just leveling up my Yog!" in an instance where using the Yog can garner an incredible advantage and thousands in prizes, then they can plead their case. But initially, all should be banned from participating in this Mayhem and allow time for a thorough investigation to conclude at which point the beyond guilty players should be banned from all Mayhem forever on top of other sanctions.

Mindark,

Enforce the EULA or it is void because then it all is subjective.

Why should anyone have to abide by the EULA if MA isn't even going to enforce it? Again, you are setting a terrible precedent here MA!

This is a very good point.

So let me get this straight, you're going to go back and find cases where people exploited this and "increasing the prize rewards for any participants who were pushed down in the final standings due to another higher-placing participant benefitting from the unintended pet buff." however, that individual will go unpunished? Even though you caught them. Is this really just because of the players who are exploiting the issue?

I can understand letting it for for outside mayhem instances because of the duration of this bug, however lets be real here. Anyone that used that pet inside of a mayhem instance knew what they were doing. And before you pull the "I was just leveling my pet" bull**** card, please don't. We are not that stupid.

Man, I been disappointed in MA in the past, however this is on a different level. Disappointed does not even being to express how I feel about this decision.

Well said and I couldn't agree more.

This is a joke, plain and simple. If you guys dont take your own EULA seriously why the F should we? You wiped scores from the board, you know people are exploiting, and you dont do a dam thing about it. Who gives a shit about increased rewards, ooooh lets go buy the trash items available still.? oh boy. I mean I know your support is a joke mindark, but in this you have proven your EULA is a joke as well, as are the actions you guys deem punishable. How do you come to the conclusion DannyO should have gotten what he did but these useless idiots exploiting since how long now, just get away like nothing happened.Watch how many sell threads and withdraw requests come up in the coming months, get your check books ready MA.

Again, reiterating the precedent being set here about enforcement of your own EULA.

Thanks MA for finally coming forward but you do really need to get a grip on your creation. The community is in uproar, the mayhem events are crucial for your lights to stay on. Keeping a level playing field is of upmost importance.

In short - the punishment should fit the crime,
You cant ban dannyo for gaining a few peds and skills then issue a public pardon for all these.

Sure it will upset a fair few people. Thats not the point though, the point is the other 99% who do really wish to play the game as intended.

Punishment SHOULD fit the crime. They are frauds not only to MA, but all players that participate in the universe period.

Fraud - noun - wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain
Cheating - verb - act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination.

Imagine player X exploited on summer 2019, in the same category as player Y scored lower.
Imagine player Y exploited in halloween 2019 with borrowed Yog from player X, that also exploited and again ranked higher than Y.
Will player Y be compensated for both summer and halloween mayhems?:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Really good point here. PAY ATTENTION MA because competent people are in the room. I hope you're taking notes because you're obviously not doing anything else.

OMG really?

You realize that everyone that has been exploiting this bug since halloween mayhem 18 is laughing right now? They got away with stealing ... They arn't named, they arn't shamed, they certainly arn't banned for 5 months and had some of their most valuable skills stripped away from them.

you can't show how harsh you'll be to one case of people cheating the system to gain advantages and then roll over and play dead to another case of people cheating for years to gain thousands of dollars worth of gear.

How do we ever expect to grow as a community with new blood of players when stuff like this keeps happening? This makes me sick.

Do you think with the way you're handling this is going to deter the next (possibly same) group of exploiters that find a bug to cheat and gain MASSIVE advantage with? Nah, they'll take the chance, knowing they'll probably keep the prizes and go about their lives laughing all the way to the bank.

Never been so disappointed reading a decision about cheating.

No one on accident spawns and activates a mining buff in an instance where you can't mine. How stupid do you really think your community is?

Be Better Mindark, Do Better.

This could not be better said at all. ARE YOU STILL PAYING ATTENTION MA?!

In conclusion, we are pretty much all not only deeply upset by this, but feel cheated by not only the cheaters but also MA itself at this point. You show no courage to do what is necessary to keep this kind of thing from happening again. I've played this game since 2003 and have such a monumental connection to it which is why I even decided to respond here. It's not just the exploit that we are upset about, it's really the lack of anything from MA that mostly upsets us. You have now set a VERY bad precedent that cheating/exploiting will go mostly unpunished if even at all even in a major events like Mayhems. What a shame on MA's part. So utterly disappointing.

While I agree with you, that it's pretty safe to assume that 95% of the people using them in Mayhem Instances are guilty. I do believe it's possible that there were a small percentage of dedicated miners who may have spawned the pet to level it up, unaware it was having the effect it did.

No.

These dedicated miners (if they exist at all, which seems unlikely, given that these pets have apparently been trading for several thousand PEDs each on the quiet) aren't winning top prizes in Mayhem. People who are seriously competing in Mayhem would - in the absence of a blatant exploit - spawn a more useful pet (speed or auto loot) to give them a legitimate advantage.

We are not talking about people doing casual runs hoping to get lucky, or people running practice instances for markup. We're talking about the people who are going all out with high-end (relative to category) setups and winning placement tokens.

Anyone who had a bugged Yog spawned in Mayhem, and won a prize, knew what they were doing. 100% certainty.

Sorry didnt had patience to read all post in this thread...but....no ban...ok....not even disqualification? wtf...
...dedicated miner...bull sh*t...a miner search for MU...no miner would keep such an expensive pet for use.....buy better extractor combined with a good ring ...get REAL!!
i would LOL ...but i can`t...:scratch2:

No.

These dedicated miners (if they exist at all, which seems unlikely, given that these pets have apparently been trading for several thousand PEDs each on the quiet) aren't winning top prizes in Mayhem. People who are seriously competing in Mayhem would - in the absence of a blatant exploit - spawn a more useful pet (speed or auto loot) to give them a legitimate advantage.

We are not talking about people doing casual runs hoping to get lucky, or people running practice instances for markup. We're talking about the people who are going all out with high-end (relative to category) setups and winning placement tokens.

Anyone who had a bugged Yog spawned in Mayhem, and won a prize, knew what they were doing. 100% certainty.

This, was going to bold a few lines, but realiszed that it's all true. No one is going to spend 13k or borrow and spawn a Yog in Mayhem that didn't know what the exploit was. No one. If any case could be made for not knowing, it would be for a very very new player, but then how would they know about SPAWNING AN UNLOCKED ACTION MINING PET IN A NON MINING ZONE
if you spawned a yog with reload action unlocked in a mayhem, you knew....

@MA read all of the posts here... EVEN Messis (Blatant admission that 12 did indeed break the rules)...

MA your actions are unbelievable and you need a serious look at your EULA, like others have pointed to...

If you (MA) do not enforce your EULA its not worth any credibility in the court of law as this case can be used to make it NULL and VOID!

Fix your mistakes!

Why do you think they solve it this way as they do? If they can't prove intentionally exploit
then it is hard to get a judgement that says so.
Doesn't matter if it is obvious what has happened from moral, ethic, logic and whatever p.o.v,
as long as it can't be proved without doubt they can't get "right" judgement.

Let me make this clear as water for you the only reason you would spawn a mob like that inside the instance would be in 2 cases:

1st - Cheating if the buff was already unlocked

2nd - Skill up the pet to get the buff unlocked

So as you can see it's pretty easy find out who was using it for cheating...

The 12 are only the ones that started their run this Mayhem before being caught. They did not give a number for the total of exploiters since it started. These exploiters also potentially cheated to win countless other player created events.
The exploiters should at the very least be banned from participating in Mayhem events for 2 years and not be allowed to purchase any items from the Mayhem vendor with their stock pile of cheated tokens for the same duration of 2 years.

MA also needs to restock the Mayhem Vendor with items worth buying since a lot were probably already bought up by the cheaters.

This is far more serious that DannyO and the chip

There is no other reason to have this pet with buff out in Mayhem unless to be used to exploit.

Well, at least now we know for sure it's safe.. :yay:

Buying cheating tricks @ box.

PM trick(s) ingame, and we'll discuss price (which depends on how much I can :censored: other players who are dumb enough not to cheat).

Thanks. :tiphat:

Another saga over...phew. not that it effected me anyhow.

I'd imagine it's extremely time consuming to check tons of historical accounts. For those calling for more in depth checking, you know that's going to cost the community money right?

I'd let it go, probably be better loot. Just saying, not being a fan boy.

Rick.

here is a different way to look at this situation.

some one calls MA and says i found a "bug".

MA stalls this person for over a year. Yes we heard you .... yes we heard you, for a year.

Is it possible they actually coded it into the game??

MA is GOD once you login, you have to take what you get and LIKE IT

OK so...

• Long term bug found that allowed an unintended advantage in hunting contests over others.
  • Pulled scores of people using in current event
  • Can't tell if was used for intentional exploits because maybe was spawned for it's good looks and user didn't know they were getting hidden benefit. :silly2: (The word "unlikely" comes to mind.)
  • In fairness, hard to pull back rewards given months ago and long since sold. Can't pull TT value from ped card, because honestly the "crowd" will say that market value needs to be taken. (Which can be determined by simple review of 1st trade involving said rewards) And honestly, that person may not have enough ped on them.
  • Obviously the work to crawl back through all possible cheats using this issue and punishing would take more work then we ASSume it would take. If it was easy and painless, I'm hoping it would occur as the right thing to do.
Not a best case scenario for remedying this situation, but, they cleaned up the current event, fixed the bug and now we move on. Yes, some people got away with a cheat. Damn it, that sucks.

Technically, anyone w/ this pet gets same huge benefit for all hunting/mining activities, so kinda impressed there wasn't a MUCH wider spread usage of these pets. (only 12 using this bug? Wow.) But that only applied if you:
1. Knew about the bug
2. Decided to use it, knowing full well it was a bug

The best part is:
It's likely someone reported the bug, but when tech support poo-pooed the issue, the person said: Well, ok, green light to use it, I guess.
:bull: :handgun:

Last edited:

If you truly believe MA intentionally builds bugs just so that specific chosen avas can steal from others then:

1. You're a dumb ass for not realizing MA could more easily make up the scores out of nowhere to make the winners whomever they want
  2. Don't do business with a company you truly believe is cheating. To do so means you're a dumb ass and a sadist.
So, you gonna leave, or is it y'er just trollin' w/ that comment? :poke:

OK so...

• Long term bug found that allowed an unintended advantage in hunting contests over others.
  • Pulled scores of people using in current event
  • Can't tell if was used for intentional exploits because maybe was spawned for it's good looks and user didn't know they were getting hidden benefit. :silly2: (The word "unlikely" comes to mind.)
  • In fairness, hard to pull back rewards given months ago and long since sold. Can't pull TT value from ped card, because honestly the "crowd" will say that market value needs to be taken. (Which can be determined by simple review of 1st trade involving said rewards) And honestly, that person may not have enough ped on them.
  • Obviously the work to crawl back through all possible cheats using this issue and punishing would take more work then we ASSume it would take. If it was easy and painless, I'm hoping it would occur as the right thing to do.
Not a best case scenario for remedying this situation, but, they cleaned up the current event, fixed the bug and now we move on. Yes, some people got away with a cheat. Damn it, that sucks.

Technically, anyone w/ this pet gets same huge benefit for all hunting/mining activities, so kinda impressed there wasn't a MUCH wider spread usage of these pets. (only 12 using this bug? Wow.) But that only applied if you:
1. Knew about the bug
2. Decided to use it, knowing full well it was a bug

The best part is:
It's likely someone reported the bug, but when tech support poo-pooed the issue, the person said: Well, ok, green light to use it, I guess. :bull: :handgun:

I wanna buy a yog, sell me sell me they are just so cute!

Last edited:
Didnt read all thread and not 100% sure how the bug worked but assuming you needed to have the actual mining buff active (which needs turning on and costs extra nutrio) It should be fairly easy to check if someone was turning it on during a mayhem run (where there would obviously be 0 reason to do so) and despawning/turning it off after.

If you truly believe MA intentionally builds bugs just so that specific chosen avas can steal from others then:

1. You're a dumb ass for not realizing MA could more easily make up the scores out of nowhere to make the winners whomever they want
  2. Don't do business with a company you truly believe is cheating. To do so means you're a dumb ass and a sadist.
So, you gonna leave, or is it y'er just trollin' w/ that comment? :poke:

who am i to say a coder put a bug? My point is that MA puts "what is"

i'm not going anywhere, love this place :)

Didnt read all thread and not 100% sure how the bug worked but assuming you needed to have the actual mining buff active (which needs turning on and costs extra nutrio) It should be fairly easy to check if someone was turning it on during a mayhem run (where there would obviously be 0 reason to do so) and despawning/turning it off after.

I spawn my lvl 17 Sasha all the time, in instances, when i craft. When it's lvl 20 i can get 12 HP for a week /40 ped.

Yog Pet Buff Issue

In this announcement we’d like to provide a further update on the pet buff issue that was addressed last week.

Along with the server hotfix which corrected the pet buff issue, Summer Mayhem scores for 12 participants were removed, due to the possibility that the incorrect pet buff may have been active during those sessions.

I didn't get past that part ...what?..what ? 12?!

Does anyone know or have a list of these 12?

:eyecrazy:

pretty sure you did :)

can't rep

coz the forum thinks i rep you too much, is that a bug? or intended?

I think is a bug, it's not possible you give to much rep :)

Last edited:
pretty sure you did :)

can't rep

coz the forum thinks i rep you too much, is that a bug? or intended?

I think is a bug, it's not possible you give to much rep :)

I did make it through the whole article and am very appreciative of the communication and response to the community and which way investigation is headed, I still was a bit flabbergasted by 12 participants..That is quite a lot of 12K Yogs.

here is a different way to look at this situation.

some one calls MA and says i found a "bug".

MA stalls this person for over a year. Yes we heard you .... yes we heard you, for a year.

MA is GOD once you login, you have to take what you get and LIKE IT

That's the full post of yours that was commented on by JohnC. "If you truly believe MA intentionally builds bugs just so that specific chosen avas can steal from others then:... "

Well, there is a planet partner who I have long thought has 'specialised' in 'feature stretching' - and been able to get stuff into the game for all to use that has certain 'charms' if you realise the 'implications'. After a while things tended to get limited to use in certain areas not available to all, presumably so the advantages would not be discovered by so many.
And yes, I have wondered whether this applies to programmers at MA themselves as well. Easter eggs with real advantages, if you will, or understanding of game mechanics that people shouldn't be able to work out for themselves somehow leaking into societies and slowly spreading until it becomes common knowledge after quite some time (or still not commonly known).

I also know some people like to say you should believe in a cock-up before believing in a conspiracy - but I'm British. I've seen plently of stuff in recent years that is dressed up as incompetence when discovered because, you know, incompetence is everywhere these days, right? And there are usually no consequences to pay either. (that's my opinion, there).
Ahh, the cleverness of making yourself look stupid when in fact you aren't. It's not even new - what will the new really smart tactics be like I wonder...

~snip~

Well, there is a planet partner who I have long thought has 'specialized' in 'feature stretching' - and been able to get stuff into the game for all to use that has certain 'charms' if you realize the 'implications'. After a while things tended to get limited to use in certain areas not available to all, presumably so the advantages would not be discovered by so many.

Oh ....I think I know who you mean but ..but..Can't leave that hanging.

Now, I'm wondering. :scratch2::smoke:

I'm curious too...but the event isn't over yet and I'm sure there are many more that were ready to go in the final days of event that haven't been added to the list of "12"

That's the full post of yours that was commented on by JohnC. "If you truly believe MA intentionally builds bugs just so that specific chosen avas can steal from others then:... "

Well, there is a planet partner who I have long thought has 'specialised' in 'feature stretching' - and been able to get stuff into the game for all to use that has certain 'charms' if you realise the 'implications'. After a while things tended to get limited to use in certain areas not available to all, presumably so the advantages would not be discovered by so many.
And yes, I have wondered whether this applies to programmers at MA themselves as well. Easter eggs with real advantages, if you will, or understanding of game mechanics that people shouldn't be able to work out for themselves somehow leaking into societies and slowly spreading until it becomes common knowledge after quite some time (or still not commonly known).

I also know some people like to say you should believe in a cock-up before believing in a conspiracy - but I'm British. I've seen plently of stuff in recent years that is dressed up as incompetence when discovered because, you know, incompetence is everywhere these days, right? And there are usually no consequences to pay either. (that's my opinion, there).
Ahh, the cleverness of making yourself look stupid when in fact you aren't. It's not even new - what will the new really smart tactics be like I wonder...

we are so misunderstanding me.

I don't like to think that "others" have an advantage, it's really obvious that some do, and I don't know how anyone can dispute that. Maybe one day I'll fall into a scanner drop, or infinite stamina wave washing over my body OH OH OH!!!!<shrug>

this is not to be taken in a sexual context!! just saying sicko's :p

Last edited:
we are so misunderstanding me.

I don't like to think that "others" have an advantage, it's really obvious that some do, and I don't know how anyone can dispute that. Maybe one day I'll fall into a scanner drop, or infinite stamina wave washing over my body OH OH OH!!!!<shrug>

Sorry for misunderstanding then, although I was commenting on a supposition put after your comment. There is room for believing the programming was intentional, but for other reasons than what JohnC considered, yes.

MA have long hinted/stated that we should discover things for ourselves. It is this knowledge that should be our advantage. We are supposed to do lots of stuff (turnover) that may not look good initially, but sometimes we will find stuff that creates an mu advantage. The motto could be: Just keep up the turnover guys - take risks and find rare things we have put into the game.

If that is indeed the case, then there is a massive problem with what the community sees as exploits (because only a few found out and it's crazy and how can that be intentional? Etc. etc.). There is also the problem that the chance of discovering some of this stuff without help/clues (from somewhere) is really really low. How do people know what to hunt right after a vu BY CHANCE?
I wish you luck with the infinite stamina you get by using your maze hammer on a rare spawner while facing due north at midnight... oops?

I believe the person I was alluding to wanted to invest in EU and work with them as a partner to create some great and whacky stuff. My assumption is that this person soon found out they were not much interested in either their customers, nor their partners - and this led to a rather twilight existence on the edge - the borders of creativity and deviousness, moulded by the experiences in this zone over time ... potentially coupled with knowledge that lots of stuff was indeed intentional, i.e. programmed in!

I am very sure, that this place PE/EU, is a place that is sosooooo cool. I'm saying that MA can do whatever they wish, it's a big place. So far as I am concerned MA should do whatever it takes, to make sure i can come in there tomorrow. Off with yer head I say :p

:laugh: :lolup: :laugh:

Cool. Always enjoyed our highly infrequent, yet enjoyable encounters. :)
Edit: (Holy crap the way I worded that sentence is so incredibly redundantly stupid, but you get my point.)

got it, which way is the bedroom? lah

First it's a bug, then it's unintended yog pet buff. What it is, is disgusting. People exploiting almost 2 years? The players have to demand that past Mayhems, where this was exploited, be looked at? Really? That 2 years of exploitation by some players ALL the time, be just "oh well", and not even looked at, or any consequences? That there are apologies for confusion and inconvenience, but no consequences for or apologies because of, people stealing and cheating? Really? The answer is just change whatever balance you had planned, and throw some mayhem tokens at it, done? Really?

Let me know.

imo this reaction from MA is a big mistake.
it feels wrong and is way below my expectation.

personally I am very disappointed

Back