MA, don't remove Iron missions

When they announced the codex, one of the main reasons was the old mission system was very taxing on the servers.

This to me , would be innovating backwards.

The codex to me just isn't as motivating as the missions. I hit the next level in the codex and at some point I go in and get my skill reward, no rush. Sure the skills are great, but to me the codex levels are just something that happens while playing the game. Maybe its the % completion versus kill count or points that is taking the fun out of it for me. With Codex I'm not really sure how many mobs I have to kill to complete the level unless I take time to figure out each level mob I'm hunting is worth in terms of % completion and I just am not motivated to bother with that. I only have one mission I'm really want to finish before they disappear

Thank you for that link :thumbup:

Future expansions of the Codex are planned to include (retroactive) attribute rewards similar to what was available in the deprecated Iron Challenges.

As long as I can still get attributes I will be happy. I do hope we can save them up over time rather than have to use them immediately (while still collecting the skills), Using tokens for attributes under 70 seems wasteful to me. I have tons stockpiled in storage for later use.
:king:

Last edited:

Text in full:

Removal of Iron Challenges

Please be advised that Iron Challenges on Planet Calypso will be disabled in the upcoming Version Update, currently scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2020. Any progress in uncompleted Iron Challenges will be forfeited after the upcoming Version Update.

Also, the following Iron Challenge-style mission chains will be removed one year after the upcoming Version Update, on September 1, 2021:
  • The Apprentice Leviathan Fighter
  • The Apprentice Rextelum Fighter
  • The Apprentice Traeskeron Fighter
During the one-year grace period, scoring kills on those creatures will provide progress for those missions as well as for the Codex. Mission stages already in progress will be able to be completed during the grace period, but subsequent mission stages will not be able to be started (as was done for Iron Challenges).

The Codex will now be the main hub for all hunting challenges and rewards. Future expansions of the Codex are planned to include (retroactive) attribute rewards similar to what was available in the deprecated Iron Challenges.

A similar migration from hunting missions to the Codex is planned for the Planet Partners; more information will be made available as those migrations are implemented.

MA really need to read some of the replies in this thread.
Its just bad business.
I would like to remind some of the newer players here that this is the second time they have done this to us (3rd if you count the changes to the LT missions cpl years ago which also screwed over players)

And now it looks they see it fit to do it again with these 3 chains. And again w. All the other planets.

This is a grind based RCE and you keep ripping peoples work out from underneath them.

You will definitely lose customers over this..

Sorry for the harsh words but I consider it "tough love"
Someone needs to save MA from themselves sometimes, this is one of those cases imo.

Please DO remove the missions as planned, and for heaven's sake add codex to the other planets asap! THEN improve codex by diversifying rewards for different mobs, ranks, planets etc. (codex ranks can be used even to unlocking new missions, collecting pieces for L weapons that crafters need to complete etc etc, there's really no end to how creative you can be)

Also, let the other planets have 1 year grace period like Caly have. Be sure to not F**k up epic mission chains!

I hope they don't remove ones that are still incomplete come September time.
The impact of wages during covid, has probably hampered a lot of people's chances to complete ones they still have open.

I thought a year would be pushing it to finish all the ones I have open still, now I have no chance if they disappear September.
they are removing them all - poof. bunch of crap IMO

they should just leave them indefinitely and not remove them like they said. People play at different paces so removing their work on current iron missions sucks. I'm okay with the way it is today where you can finish the iron missions you have and then not pick up new ones. But yes, codex rewards are a bit stale. Maybe they can impose some sort of mission where if you finish X amount of codex levels in a day/week/month/quarter/year then you get bonus rewards or something to encourage grinding. (I.e. daily mission of finishing 2 level 1-5 codex missions gives 50 attribute tokens or something)
finish codex 26 for a mob, unlock the next step in its old iron mission chain, restart codex for that mob?

As I feared with the absence iron missions on Caly (excluding the 3 mentioned above) I have lost focus and barely hunt there at all now other than a few dailies. Why.. because it makes no difference what I hunt, rewards are pretty much the same per pec spent. SO no challenge, nothing to strive for, indecision sets in and I stand there wondering what to do, then sod off to another planet or log off. Not spent this much time out of game in years. Has to be bad when housework wins over EU

Nothing to strive for? Markup and team fun, as it was originally before any missions at all...

Yes. Markup! And trying to survive without depo like it was years ago. It's called being self sustained. Those skills rewards from Iron Challenges were payed 5x more than if you would buy the skill chip from auction. Just to remember that I finished the Atrox Iron on the start of the quarantine (lots of ppl already at home also playing) with horrendous returns and 5 peds in markup from oils every 1k peds cycled. So far the worst results in the last years for sure. Not even amping on FOMA can delivery such bad results as those on atrox. At least mining loot still hold some markup. To be sincere other than newbie missions and map exploration missions it affects negativitlly the game to have them.

I have no doubt there was fun to have before Iron missions, but how we play the game is unique to each of us, we all have different preferences (to grind or not to grind) to chase MU or not, for some that is a bit too much like work than just fun.
What works for you, may or may not be the preference of others, I was simply commenting for myself that I am finding it hard to re-focus.
There is no right or wrong way to play, and I have no doubt I will re-focus and change game play in time, just need to re-think it.
As a busy shop owner (and crafter) I chase MU a lot as I try to get as many of my own resources as possible (as both hunter and miner). I do however also like to spend time developing my avatar skills, to make personal progress, and I simply find this multitude of small rewards loses for me the sense of achievement I gained from completion of a long Iron mission.
I have over the years had a lot of fun doing the Iron, bronze, silver missions, and yes sometimes it doubtless cost me more ped than it should have, but tbh I don't object to paying a little for my entertainment.
It is now for me and me alone to work out how I handle this change and where I go from here, it will just take time

As I feared with the absence iron missions on Caly (excluding the 3 mentioned above) I have lost focus and barely hunt there at all now other than a few dailies. Why.. because it makes no difference what I hunt, rewards are pretty much the same per pec spent. SO no challenge, nothing to strive for, indecision sets in and I stand there wondering what to do, then sod off to another planet or log off. Not spent this much time out of game in years. Has to be bad when housework wins over EU

Same, logged in 3 times since they removed irons.
Just not interested anymore, such a rush to remove them, then they screw up the replacement, or say stuff like 'in a future release' Yes, we know what 'future release' means, just like voting rights etc. Why I brought those CLD's I'll never know, many unkept promises. The Democracy still is a Dictatorship.

Am I missing it, nope, not really :)

Last edited:
I hope nobody breaks the secret that it's much wiser to choose mobs for markup than for mission rewards. Because if everyone did, there would soon be no more markup. Oops.
I see your point, however, Codex doesn't give Stamina, the mission reward I can't get by just grinding.

Thank you for that link :thumbup:

Future expansions of the Codex are planned to include (retroactive) attribute rewards similar to what was available in the deprecated Iron Challenges.

As long as I can still get attributes I will be happy. I do hope we can save them up over time rather than have to use them immediately (while still collecting the skills), Using tokens for attributes under 70 seems wasteful to me. I have tons stockpiled in storage for later use.
:king:
I just want to finish all stages of each mission chain I took the risk of beginning. I don't see any problem with wanting to get what I already accepted and (in at least two senses) paid for. I'm not so concerned with what codex does or does not do, it gives skills for grinding, we can click it at our leisure and influence the allocation of those skills, really a yawner. But irons, and their siblings on other planets, were undertakings we considered and accepted or declined, and prioritized, and we should have a fair chance to complete what we took on.

MA really need to read some of the replies in this thread.
Its just bad business.
I would like to remind some of the newer players here that this is the second time they have done this to us (3rd if you count the changes to the LT missions cpl years ago which also screwed over players)

And now it looks they see it fit to do it again with these 3 chains. And again w. All the other planets.

This is a grind based RCE and you keep ripping peoples work out from underneath them.

You will definitely lose customers over this..

Sorry for the harsh words but I consider it "tough love"
Someone needs to save MA from themselves sometimes, this is one of those cases imo.
Nailed it. Thanks. Lefty out.

I see your point, however, Codex doesn't give Stamina, the mission reward I can't get by just grinding.

Must not be reading patch notes, which sometimes include "dev note type language". It will and will be retroactive.

Must not be reading patch notes, which sometimes include "dev note type language". It will and will be retroactive.
Must not have any clue what the term "bad business" means. Please, dude, don't waste both of our time with this type of post.

Back