PlanetCalypsoForum.com :: Entropia Universe Discussion and Resources
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32
  1. #11
    Mutated Xen's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2005
    Avatar
    Xendar Xen Xal
    Society
    Payn-Inc
    Posts
    10,014
    Images
    401
    The US ultimately uses it's military (and other agencies like CIA) strength to shape the world to it's benefit. Until this changes the dollar is safe.
    Xen Shop ☯ Fi/Ra/Co Dante | Imperial HAZEN Gloves (M) | Robot Cache Strongbox

  2. #12
    Prowler Legends's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Location
    Canada
    Avatar
    Inherent Marxus Legends
    Society
    Dirty Dingos
    Posts
    1,435
    Images
    445
    1. It is my opinion that the Federal Reserve is buying into the U.S. stock market now because they don't really have any other choice, i.e. if they don't then the stock market will crash which will allow other countries like China for example to step in and buy up all kinds of U.S. Corps at a huge discount and the Fed just have way too much at stake to allow that to ever happen.

    2. When you say "digital currencies" I think you are confusing things a bit. Most Fiat currencies exist primarily in a digital form, i.e. as numbers in a computer balance sheet as opposed to a physical object representing it. I think what you mean to say is 'Crypto currency', which is a completely different thing. And no, I don't see Cryptos replacing the U.S. dollar anytime soon.

    3. We are in an era of world polarization right now, 2 distinct 'poles' are forming. The U.S. will continue to be relevant as long as they remain as one of these 2 'poles', but alas if they don't resolve some of their socioeconomic challenges at home, then they will eventually fall into disrepute on the world stage, but that could take another 60 years or more. And yet, having said that, the U.S. enjoys many advantages which shouldn't be overlooked and which I think are going to play in their favor for a long time to come. There are too many to list here but consider just this one for example: while most countries in the world had to spend a decade or more re-building after WWII, the U.S. remained completely intact, this being due to having as it's neighbors a) an ally to the north b) a weak neighbor to the south and fish on the East and West borders. This geographical circumstance is a huge advantage envied by many countries in Europe which were completely decimated in WWII. In any future large scale war, America is pretty much guaranteed to come out of it in relatively better shape then most.

    America rose to be the wealthiest country on earth not because of it's military or the atom bomb but because they empowered their citizens with rights and good pay. Unfortunately, the U.S. is now very busy stripping away all that had been gained and giving it to Corporations which ultimately couldn't care less about anything else but the mighty dollar and themselves. This will erode away all of the freedom and wealth that the nation has enjoyed these last few decades.

    China is going further and further into debt now, and for the first time, their strategy to make big loans to other countries to build infrastructure is blowing up in their face. They are extremely productive so ultimately they will continue to grow their economy, but only if they are smart and don't squander this productivity and also do as the U.S. did and empower their own citizens. But everything I've studied on the matter seems to indicate that the CCP is incapable of doing that and so ultimately, I think they can only shoot themselves in the foot in the medium-to-long term, unless there is a major revolution in China and a new system that grants rights and good pay to their citizens is put in it's place.

    Because of this, I believe India is more likely to catch up and eventually surpass China. There is more freedom in India and their population is expected to surpass that of China sometime around 2025 since they never had any limits imposed on the number of children people were allowed to have there. If China is smart, they will make sure to make India a close ally of theirs and thus maintain relevance long-term as part of the 2nd 'pole', but on-going conflicts at their shared border would indicate that the CCP is not smart in this regard, and doesn't really understand how important India is to their future..

    --
    It may seem as though I have gone completely off topic but my point is that Countries do matter, countries issue money and that money is backed by that countries productivity (GDP) and also by a confidence which is held by an entire population. Crypto is issued by... ? Who exactly? And who is it that will ultimately uphold the confidence when it all goes bust? Is the bank going to take your Bitcoins and give you U.S. cash for it? I think not..
    Last edited by Legends; 06-30-2020 at 20:09.
    Complete Armor Guide <--- Find out everything there is to know about Armor
    My Armor Shops at Twin Peaks mall, 2nd floor: Mayhem Armor Shop, Robot Armor Shop, Animal Armor Shop
    Rent an Armor set: Legends' Unlimited Armor Rentals

  3. #13
    Old Alpha Detritus's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Avatar
    Detritus the Troll
    Posts
    1,077
    Images
    26
    i think the usd will be fine but personally never understood why the ped was statically tied to any other currency. one usd has a different value today than 18 years ago. why not treat ped like any other currency - regulate and limit its creation and have players trade for it on a dynamic exchange. this empowers ma to control their own economy and players to determine what the real value of ped is.

    disclaimer: im no economist, so maybe this is dumb.

  4. #14
    Marauder
    Joined
    Aug 2013
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Avatar
    MeLoveYou LongTime FiveDolla
    Society
    Entropialoot.com
    Posts
    7,095
    Images
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i think the usd will be fine but personally never understood why the ped was statically tied to any other currency. one usd has a different value today than 18 years ago. why not treat ped like any other currency - regulate and limit its creation and have players trade for it on a dynamic exchange. this empowers ma to control their own economy and players to determine what the real value of ped is.

    disclaimer: im no economist, so maybe this is dumb.
    It is. Tying PED to USD makes it a fixed currency.

    Untying it makes it a variable currency, subject to internal vs. external variables. Internal variables puts the burden on Mindark. External variables allows the understood value of the fixed currency to go up and down based on foreign exchange.

  5. #15
    Old Alpha Detritus's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2016
    Avatar
    Detritus the Troll
    Posts
    1,077
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicstorm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Untying it makes it a variable currency, subject to internal vs. external variables. Internal variables puts the burden on Mindark. External variables allows the understood value of the fixed currency to go up and down based on foreign exchange.

    why is that bad? asking for an education, not debating... maybe ped is overvalued or undervalued at $0.10 - would a variable exchange help correct that?

  6. #16
    Elite Naomi's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Calypso
    Avatar
    Naomi
    Society
    NotBeforeSocietyOverhaul
    Posts
    3,256
    Images
    43
    I wouldn't mind the PED being connected to the value of gold or silver somehow... ,
    Not exactly sure how it would work.

    In the long run rare metals link to PED is very likely to secure your MA investments.
    USD has devaluated systematically, ever since its existance.


    People think that the metal values have been rising, which is kind'a true. But also the USD, EUR and other currencies have been loosing value, which make it look like gold is more expensive today. The more moneyprinting there will be, the more metals will be valued.

    Quote Originally Posted by Legends View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    2. When you say "digital currencies" I think you are confusing things a bit. Most Fiat currencies exist primarily in a digital form, i.e. as numbers in a computer balance sheet as opposed to a physical object representing it. I think what you mean to say is 'Crypto currency', which is a completely different thing. And no, I don't see Cryptos replacing the U.S. dollar anytime soon.
    Neither do I, if you are talking about decentralized crypto currencies. There are however centrally controlled digital currencies, on which many governments are very keen, China and Turkey, USA, France for instance have shown a lot of interest to implement this.

    With 'digital currency', I mean exlusively digital availability, so no more coins or notes.
    The advantage towards no more cash is that governments can grab much more power over you by controlling your money access and abolishing privacy completely.

    It will be 'for your own good', 'for your own safety', and 'only criminals want to hide their transactions',... bla bla bla, the same old rethoric.

    I'll avoid going political since this is not the forum for it.

  7. #17
    Marauder
    Joined
    Aug 2013
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Avatar
    MeLoveYou LongTime FiveDolla
    Society
    Entropialoot.com
    Posts
    7,095
    Images
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Detritus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    why is that bad? asking for an education, not debating... maybe ped is overvalued or undervalued at $0.10 - would a variable exchange help correct that?
    because then ped would be classified differently and external forces can exploit the currency. This is far as i am going to get into this as I don't feel like teaching economics.

    Having fixed currency is important for an RCE.

    As for digital currencies, a digital dollar is coming. The democrats in the US accidentally tipped their hand during stimulus 1. Thr language is already written as with all big bills that are introduced.. think tanks write them up and congress lobbies them... (very sketchy ones). It was quickly retracted. Expect it in the next 4 to 8 years because that way they can print into oblivion and for "other" reasons that I will keep to myself because well.. some will appreciate it and others will just toss at it.

  8. #18
    Prowler Legends's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Location
    Canada
    Avatar
    Inherent Marxus Legends
    Society
    Dirty Dingos
    Posts
    1,435
    Images
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Naomi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Neither do I, if you are talking about decentralized crypto currencies. There are however centrally controlled digital currencies, on which many governments are very keen, China and Turkey, USA, France for instance have shown a lot of interest to implement this.
    Well for one thing, China has not legitimized Cryptos, to the contrary they are banning them as of late.

    Yes there is a lot of money printing going on but MindArk is subject to this to the same extent that we all are, why should they offer shelter from that runaway inflation when they themselves are not precluded from it.

    For them to accept other currencies in exchange for PED which derives it's value based on actual physical gold means that now every transaction becomes at least 2 transactions, this would lengthen all flows of money, in and out, not to mention the extra burden on MindArk to buy and hold gold to back the PED with.

    Frankly this seems really too complicated for EU in it's current scope and population.
    Complete Armor Guide <--- Find out everything there is to know about Armor
    My Armor Shops at Twin Peaks mall, 2nd floor: Mayhem Armor Shop, Robot Armor Shop, Animal Armor Shop
    Rent an Armor set: Legends' Unlimited Armor Rentals

  9. #19
    Elite Naomi's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Calypso
    Avatar
    Naomi
    Society
    NotBeforeSocietyOverhaul
    Posts
    3,256
    Images
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Legends View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well for one thing, China has not legitimized Cryptos, to the contrary they are banning them as of late.
    Yes they are banning other cryptocurrencies, to start their own!
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ose-to-release

  10. #20
    Old Alpha
    Joined
    Dec 2010
    Gender | Ingame
    Male | Male
    Location
    Under the I-96 overpass getting free wifi from Panera
    Avatar
    Xavier Target Technosplurg
    Posts
    738
    Images
    2
    how about they switch it to a different currency peg every week...that would be fun....next week, british pound, you get only 8 ped per dollar, but in three weeks, yen, u get 108 ped per dollar....sure would make the forum chatter exciting.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Planet Calypso on Twitter  Follow Planet Calypso on Facebook