Items showing as a red X

Tilarium

Provider
So I'm back on Caly and going through my inventory trying to weed it down and finding several items are showing up as a 1x1 red X. I googled and got a few "solutions" from opening the items info box and then closing it and the inventory to changing my graphics settings but none of them are working. Anyone have any ideas what I could try?

There used to be this concept of "clearing the shader cache" but I have a feeling MA might have done away with that in more recent years. Not sure if that would help? Another idea might be something around re-downloading planet partner data? Not sure if that is doable these days either.

It still shocks me rigid how damn long it takes to load my inventory. I mean seriously, how come others can render Lara Croft in a zillion triangles of detail but it takes MA several minutes to display a few dozen thumbnails?

They could at the very least set the job running in the background as soon as you log on, rather than waiting till you actually open the inventory and have you sit there like a lemon waiting for a helmet to rez.

Wistrel

Addressing little things like this should be a priority for MA.
There are countless little bugs and glitches that have added up over the years after what seems like every single update or patch.
Having to also clear the shaders cache every time you log in now to avoid having white trees and fauna textures in the landscape is quite annoying.

The game looks and feels like it’s still in Alpha.

Stop trying to reach development goals and fix the underlying issues that make the game and you look bad.

MA please get your shit back together.

I am not sure if its Werewolf claws or something like that i have in storage.. They turned into one of these beautifull red crosses at some point.

I guess welcome to the club? ;-)

I googled and got a few "solutions" from opening the items info box and then closing it and the inventory to changing my graphics settings but none of them are working.

Switching the graphics to low, applying and switching back usually helps to clear the shaders cache, except for a handful of items that are genuinely broken as Mega mentioned. Try also to trash the cache folder manually (with the game closed), it's something like \ProgramData\entropia universe\public_users_data\shaders - check the path to the data folder in the client loader settings.

I am not sure if its Werewolf claws or something like that i have in storage.. They turned into one of these beautifull red crosses at some point.

They are correctly displayed only during the full moon :D

I just open and close inventory window until they are gone. This usually happens with my armor.

As for any other X I probably dont own them.

I have small bull horns (f) I have no idea how I got them, but they have been red cross for years too.

I guess welcome to the club? ;-)

A number of RT loot turned into a red cross after the big graphic update. Also, tt extractor on RT is out of whack. Gives a mini screenshot in inventory. instead of the item.

Noticed since a long time ago that the behaviour upon opening storage inventory seems as if every icon is recreated from a 3D model anew in every session. There doesn't seem to be any sort of caching in place. If this isn't the case, then something else takes an awful lot of time to retrieve the icons, like decompressing a big archive every time. It seems not plausible that it's server access or network transmission because I'm getting huge differences doing the same thing with different power settings (cpu/gpu throttling). Something rather disingenious is going on in the bowels there and it is odd that it didn't get addressed even in the big graphics update we had.

Back