EFD System Explained

Status

Site Admin
Admin
EntropiaForum Dollars (often called EFD) are the "currency" of EntropiaForum.

Members earn EFDs through various forum activities (explained below), and can use accumulated EFDs to purchase items in the EFD store, donate to friends, play games in the arcade, etc.

How to Earn EFDs

• Creating new threads - Every time you create a thread, you receive EFDs; the amount awarded for a new thread varies depending on the forum. In order to encourage members to post new threads in the proper forum or subforum, any threads or posts made in the General Discussion forum earn no EFDs. Similarly, the trading and off-topic forums do not award EFDs. You receive additional EFDs for creating a poll within your thread.
  • Replying to threads - You also receive EFDs by posting replies to other members' threads
  • Replies to your threads - You receive EFDs every time another EF member responds to a thread you have created.
  • Views of your threads - You also receive a small amount of EFDs each time a logged-in member views a thread you have created (once per 24 hours, so repeatedly refreshing pages to unfairly earn EFDs will not work).
  • EFD Bank - You can deposit your unused EFDs in the EFD Bank, and earn 1% interest per month.
  • EFD Member Paychecks - All members who are active within the previous 7 days earn a weekly "paycheck". Premium Members earn a bigger EFD paycheck, among other features.
  • EFD Lottery - Take a chance in the EFD lottery and try to win some EFDs from your fellow forum members.
  • **NEW**EFD Global Screenshot Competition - Earn EFDs while Hunting! Promote EntropiaForum in your hunting team name, and post screenshots to earn EFDs!

The exact formula for the awarding of EFDs varies in many ways, depending on the forum in which a thread is created, length and rating of thread, and several other factors. The best way to earn EFDs is to be an active and regularly contributing member of the forum, and by creating interesting and popular threads in the proper forums. Moderators and admins will also regularly award EFDs to members who exhibit exceptional contrbutions to the EF community.

Where to spend EFDs

• EFD Store - The EFD store offers many ways to spend your hard earned EFDs: Custom titles, colored, glowing, and shadowed usernames and titles, bumping and debumping threads, and much more. You can even change the custom title of other members.
  • Donations - You can donate EFDs to friends or members who have impressed you with their postings or contrubutions to the community. Donations can made directly within a thread by clicking the "Donate" link under a member's avatar, or by visiting the EFD store.
  • EFD Auctions - Purchase EU items from other members using EFDs.
  • EFD Lottery - Purchase tickets in the daily and weekly EFD Lottery drawings
  • Arcade - Play games in the Arcade. Each game costs a certain number of EFDs, or you can purchase an unlimited pass which will allow you to play games for free for 10 days.
  • EF Adspace - Purchase Adspace on EntropiaForum to promote your events, sales threads or other EU-related campaigns
  • Gifts - Give gift icons of EU items and Unlocked Skills that appear near a member's avatar in threads.

Taxes and Discounts

Certain luxury items in the EFD store have an additional tax; your total price for any item (including any tax or discounts) can be seen on the item purchase confirmation page.

Loyal Member Discount - In the EFD Store, anyone who has been a member of EF for 1 year (365 days) receives a 5% discount on all purchses.

Premium Member Discounts
Adjusted - 5%
Improved - 10%
Modified- 20%

**Discounts are cumulative (e.g. If you are a member for more than 1 year, and you are a Modified member, you will enjoy a 25% discount in the EFD Store).

Rules and Restrictions

The EFD system is in place to reward members for their contributions to the EF community, and to enhance the user experience on EF. We plan to continually refine and expand the EFD system and items available for purchase. We hope you enjoy the EFD system, and welcome any suggestions for improvements in this thread.

***Any abuse, manipulation or interference of the EFD system will result in the immediate loss of all accumulated EFDs, and exclusion from the EFD system, and/or banning from EF.***

EFD Store Maintenance
The EFD Store is still being recoded, therefore some of the information in this thread is either outdated, inactive or both, and some of the links may be broken.

Once the new EFD store is launched, a new EFD thread will be created.

Last edited:
Hmm... You forgot to add that you get EFD for +repping people :)

There are indeed other ways to earn EFDs, not all were outlined in this guide, only the most important of methods.

Members also gain a small number of EFDs by voting in polls, rating threads, and pretty much any activity that contributes to the sharing of information on EntropiaForum.

For the EFD BANK, it's a bit of a pain to wait until the right time to make a deposit and avoid reseting the timer :p That would make it a hassle and I wouldn't bother using it.

Is it necessary to reset it? If every transaction is taxed 2%, including donations, people can't gain exploit the system by sending eachother loads of EFDs right before interest gains anyways.

For the EFD BANK, it's a bit of a pain to wait until the right time to make a deposit and avoid reseting the timer :p That would make it a hassle and I wouldn't bother using it.

Is it necessary to reset it? If every transaction is taxed 2%, including donations, people can't gain exploit the system by sending eachother loads of EFDs right before interest gains anyways.

Deposits and withdrawals from the bank are not taxed at 2%.

As for the calculation of interest, there is no simple way to allow multiple deposits and calculate interest properly. The bank system is a simple one:

You make a deposit, and a timer is set to start counting down for 7 days. At the end of the 7 days, the interest is added to your bank balance, and the time resets. You can see at any time when your next bank interest will be awarded.

Example:

You deposit 500 EFDs into the bank, 7 days later (actually, it counts in minutes, so 10080 minutes later) your bank balance is increased by 1%, making your new balance 505 EFD. Assuming you do not make a withdrawal or deposit, after another 10080 minutes, your bank balance will be 510.05 EFD, and so on.

Deposits and withdrawals from the bank are not taxed at 2%.

As for the calculation of interest, there is no simple way to allow multiple deposits and calculate interest properly. The bank system is a simple one:

You make a deposit, and a timer is set to start counting down for 7 days. At the end of the 7 days, the interest is added to your bank balance, and the time resets. You can see at any time when your next bank interest will be awarded.

I meant why not make it so that every 7 days you get 1% of whatever is in your bank? You can withdraw and deposit as many times as you want, you can even withdraw it all and then deposit the second before 7 days are up and still get that 1% interest.

There is a tax on donations so it can't be exploited.

Wouldn't that be easier?

I meant why not make it so that every 7 days you get 1% of whatever is in your bank?

This is exactly how the bank works, read my post above.

You can withdraw and deposit as many times as you want, you can even withdraw it all and then deposit the second before 7 days are up and still get that 1% interest.

Umm, that defeats the whole purpose. Try to go to your local bank IRL and tell them you want to deposit 10k on the 1st of the month, remove your money on the 2nd, put it back in on the 30th, and get interest for a full month on the 31st. If you find a bank that lets you do that, I'll sell everything I have so I can deposit there.

Last edited:
This is exactly how the bank works, read my post above.

Umm, that defeats the whole purpose. Try to go to your local bank IRL and tell them you want to deposit 10k on the 1st of the month, remove your money on the 2nd, put it back in on the 30th, and get interest for a full month on the 31st. If you find a bank that lets you do that, I'll sell everything I have so I can deposit there.

Which IRL bank says to you "if you deposit now, your next interest earning date gets moved back 30days"? I have a feeling that bank wouldn't get many customers :laugh:

Since EFDs can only be spent in EF, there is no real purpose anyways is there? My only motivation was to make it simpler as there is no way of exploiting it. If there was ONLY ONE bank IRL, that didn't do loans or investment, and yet could still give out an interest rate, it wouldn't make any difference to them if you deposited the second before the interest is given out since they don't have any use for it anyways. It's an impossible system as it is, no need to try it make it seem more realistic imo.

Which IRL bank says to you "if you deposit now, your next interest earning date gets moved back 30days"? I have a feeling that bank wouldn't get many customers :laugh:

Since EFDs can only be spent in EF, there is no real purpose anyways is there? My only motivation was to make it simpler as there is no way of exploiting it. If there was ONLY ONE bank IRL, that didn't do loans or investment, and yet could still give out an interest rate, it wouldn't make any difference to them if you deposited the second before the interest is given out since they don't have any use for it anyways. It's an impossible system as it is, no need to try it make it seem more realistic imo.

I disagree in about 10 different ways. What you are suggesting is that members deposit EFDs, withdraw them, then redeposit right before the interest maturity date. If this were possible, there would be a MASSIVE increase in the number of EFDs in circulation. It would be the same as giving 1% interest per minute.

Please do a search on the concepts "simple interest" and "compounded interest" and you will hopefully understand things more clearly.

The EFD bank system uses simple database entries to calculate interest. If multiple deposits were allowed, the system would have to keep a separate timestamp for each deposit, in order to award the 1% interest per week properly. This would result in much more work in the database, and is not really the main priority of EF.

I try to introduce something fun and interesting (pun intended) for EF members, and all you seem to do is complain and say things to the effect of "it's not good enough"? :confused:

I disagree in about 10 different ways. What you are suggesting is that members deposit EFDs, withdraw them, then redeposit right before the interest maturity date. If this were possible, there would be a MASSIVE increase in the number of EFDs in circulation. It would be the same as giving 1% interest per minute.

Please do a search on the concepts "simple interest" and "compounded interest" and you will hopefully understand things more clearly.

The EFD bank system uses simple database entries to calculate interest. If multiple deposits were allowed, the system would have to keep a separate timestamp for each deposit, in order to award the 1% interest per week properly. This would result in much more work in the database, and is not really the main priority of EF.

I try to introduce something fun and interesting (pun intended) for EF members, and all you seem to do is complain and say things to the effect of "it's not good enough"? :confused:

I'm just curious as to why the system is set up the way it is, and certainly didn't mean to upset you.

I'm trying to understand why it would be bad to make say Monday 1am the interest maturation date, as at worst it means the net volume of EFDs increases by 1% per week. How to get from here to "It would be the same as giving 1% interest per minute" boggles my mind. I am learning economics at the U of Chicago and I thought I understood this stuff lol. If you can be bothered to explain this one concept I promise I'll never post in this thread again :)

Oh, I think I understand simple and compound interest as that was why I voiced earlier than giving 2%(?) interest every 2 days was too extreme (3611% annual interest), and 1% per week is 68% annual interest, which doesn't seem too high (compared to IRL yes, but not nearly extreme as 3611%). When I can across the 1 week reset rule, I became curious as to why it was necessary and interest wasn't set to a certain time of the week hence my posts. Sorry again if I annoyed you lol, wasn't my intent.

I'm just curious as to why the system is set up the way it is, and certainly didn't mean to upset you.

I'm trying to understand why it would be bad to make say Monday 1am the interest maturation date, as at worst it means the net volume of EFDs increases by 1% per week. How to get from here to "It would be the same as giving 1% interest per minute" boggles my mind. I am learning economics at the U of Chicago and I thought I understood this stuff lol. If you can be bothered to explain this one concept I promise I'll never post in this thread again :)

Oh, I think I understand simple and compound interest as that was why I voiced earlier than giving 2%(?) interest every 2 days was too extreme (3611% annual interest), and 1% per week is 68% annual interest, which doesn't seem too high (compared to IRL yes, but not nearly extreme as 3611%). When I can across the 1 week reset rule, I became curious as to why it was necessary and interest wasn't set to a certain time of the week hence my posts. Sorry again if I annoyed you lol, wasn't my intent.

Nightbird,

There is not a set date or time where all interest is awarded for all members. If you read my post above, I explained that every time you make a deposit, a datestamp is made in the database for your EFD bank account called "nextinterest" which is exactly 10080 minutes (7 days) from the time you make the deposit. Each member's "nextinterest" date is different, depending on when they last deposited into the EFD bank. If you subsequently make an additional deposit, the datestamp is overwritten with a new one, 10080 minutes in the future. If you make a withdrawal of all funds, the datestamp is removed, otherwise the remaining balance will retain the original "nextinterest" datestamp. A scheduled task runs every few minutes on the database, which finds any "nextinterest" datestamps that are expired. For those where currenttime > nextinterest, the 1% interest is awarded and added to the bank balance, and a new nextinterest datestamp is set, 10080 minutes in the future.

It is a very simple system, I agree. But anything more complex would require custom coding, and more complex database work. I currently have lots of other, higher priority projects to improve EF that have my attention, and honestly, everyone else seems quite happy with the EFD bank system as it currently works.

As an aside, the EFD bank system uses compounded interest, calculated weekly.

Example, assuming you never withdraw:

You deposit 1000 EFD

After 1 week, you will have 1010.00 EFD
After 2 weeks, you will have 1020.10 EFD
After 3 weeks, you will have 1030.30 EFD
After 4 weeks, you will have 1040.60 EFD
After 52 weeks, you will have 1677.69 EFD

This results in a yearly interest rate of 67.76% (as you mentioned, 68%)

My question was why bother with a date stamp as it seemed to be unnecessarily complex, that's all.

^ wasn't a question

With this, the discussion is resolved, so ty for the length explanations.

If I recall correctly, last saturday my interest was given at around 16:00. Now it says I will get it at 21:00. I havent deposited or withdrawn from the bank last week.

Another question. The 5% discount if you have an EF account for over a year, can you see that? I mean, I can see the prices I have to pay for everything, but I can't see if that's before or after discount ...

If I recall correctly, last saturday my interest was given at around 16:00. Now it says I will get it at 21:00. I havent deposited or withdrawn from the bank last week.

Another question. The 5% discount if you have an EF account for over a year, can you see that? I mean, I can see the prices I have to pay for everything, but I can't see if that's before or after discount ...

The prices are displayed before any taxes or discount. so if the item has no additional tax, the final price will be item price + 2% general tax - 5% loyal EF member discount.

Wouldn't it be simpler to give a day interest of 0.1422487% this would equal the 1% weekly but is calculated daily. :scratch2:

I know it's a bit complicated and may place stress on the database, but I love far-fetched solutions :D

Wouldn't it be simpler to give a day interest of 0.1422487% this would equal the 1% weekly but is calculated daily. :scratch2:

I know it's a bit complicated and may place stress on the database, but I love far-fetched solutions :D

No. Its meant to resemble a real bank In a way.

If you take out your money from the EFD bank, you loose your INterest wait time, and have to wait another 7 days before the next Interest Is due. Also you can't add to It everyday, otherwise the Interest date due is reset.

711 missed to mention one important way to "earn" efd. as i found right now, referrals are payed with incredible 500 efd (give or take a few but around that seems right).

so, folks, tell newcomers or anyone you meet, to join EF, if during registration the new member puts you in as referral, its both good for you and ofcoz the new EF user :)

:yay:

Just saw this in my EFD Bank section:
EFD Bank said:
Next Bank Interest: 24 days, 6 hours, 52 minutes, 10 seconds until next payment of xxx EFD
ehm... wasn't it supposed to be 7days?!
[...] EFD Bank - You can deposit your unused EFDs in the EFD Bank, and earn 1% interest per week. Note that if you make a second deposit, the timer for the next interest award is reset to 7 days. [...]

P. :smoke:

Just saw this in my EFD Bank section:

ehm... wasn't it supposed to be 7days?!

P. :smoke:

The EFD bank interest has been adjusted. Consider the old rate of 1% per week (insane interest rate) an introductory promotion :)

I'll edit the post you quoted to avoid confusion.

711 said:
Gifts - Give gifts that appear near a member's avatar in threads ***coming soon!!***

an update is needed here

Gifts - Give gifts (Items or Skills) that appear near a member's avatar in threads

hey 711, do i earn EFD from starting threads/posting in off-topic????

hey 711, do i earn EFD from starting threads/posting in off-topic????

No, the off-topic forums do not award any EFDs.

Also, to encourage members to post thread in the proper location, threads or posts in the General Discussion forum no longer award EFDs either.

Ok give me a ball park figure here!
If I have 100k EFD and I don´t touch it for a year and I am active daily on the forums with replies and reading, I would have Modified Premium and all that. How much would I have in the end of the year if I started with 100k in the bank? No withdrawals and no deposits for that entire year only the 100k EFD..

Thanks in advance for the answer

Bloodstar

P.S
I know I could calculate % but I don´t know if that is the only thing needed to do...

Ok give me a ball park figure here!
If I have 100k EFD and I don´t touch it for a year and I am active daily on the forums with replies and reading, I would have Modified Premium and all that. How much would I have in the end of the year if I started with 100k in the bank? No withdrawals and no deposits for that entire year only the 100k EFD..

Thanks in advance for the answer

Bloodstar

P.S
I know I could calculate % but I don´t know if that is the only thing needed to do...

1% interest per month. At the end of the year you'd have 112,682.5 EFD

1% interest per month. At the end of the year you'd have 112,682.5 EFD
So that would mean in a cumulative order:
100k = 12.682.5 EFD a year bank interest
1mill = 126.825 EFD a year bank interest
10mi = 1.268.250 EFD a year bank interest

Thanks for the calculation Ghandi. I was just thinking out loud! I should really not be replying on a sticky thread anyways, sorry 711 :ahh:

Bloodstar

Can EFDs be exchanged for goods outside the EF and EU systems?

What are "premium" members? Some sort of membership you pay for?

Status
Back