Proper Usage of the PCF Reputation System

It seems some EF members are confused about the purpose and proper usage of the forum reputation system.

Hopefully this guide will clear things up a bit.

Basic Overview

The forum reputation system is intended to allow members to provide feedback to one another relating to their threads, posts and contributions to forum discussions. If another member makes a particulary noteworthy contribution to a discussion, the reputation system provides a way to show appreciation. On the other hand, if a post is unfair, off-topic, inflammatory or otherwise objectionable, the reputation system gives the forum community a way to self-police itself.

The display of reputation levels in the member info and profile areas is intended as a rough guide of member's esteem within the forum community. This of course does not mean that the opinions or information provided by someone with a high reputation level is always accurate, nor does it mean that someone with low reputation should be ignored or belittled. When judging the value of a post or opinion, readers should put more weight on the content and logic of the content, rather than on who the author is.

When to give positive reputation

As mentioned above, members are encouraged to give one another feedback for thoughtful, constructive posts that help to inform the community and contribute to the thread topic. This helps create a more informative and positive atmosphere to the forum in general, and results in a more enjoyable and worthwhile experience when reading the forums.

When NOT to give positive reputation

The reputation system should not be abused. Friends should not dilute the purpose of the reputation system and regularly hand out +reps to their friends and society mates just because they like them. Positive reps should be given directly as feedback and thanks for meaningful contributions to the forum.

When to give negative reputation

If you find a post that is clearly off-topic, rude, inciteful, inflammatory, flaming or unfair, you should let the poster know this with a negative reputation comment, with reasons why you think the post in question was objectionable. In all cases, reputation comments are subject to the same forum rules as public posts.

When NOT to give negative reputation

You should not leave a negative reputation simply because you disagree with another member's opinion. If you have a strong disagreement, your views should be aired within the thread, so that others can read and comment in kind. You should not give a negative rep as revenge for a negative rep left by another member for you. You also should not make a campaign of leaving negative reps for members that you simply dislike, or have had differences with in the past.

Notes

All reputation comments are subject to the same rules as public posts on the forum. This means you should not flame, insult or threaten another member with your reputation comments. There seems to be a recent trend toward very hostile reputation comments. Such behavior will no longer be tolerated. Forum admins (MindBuster and myself) have the ability to review repuation comments left by members if a complaint is made. If any member feels they have been attacked in such a manner, please send a Private Message to MindBuster or 711 with the offending member's name, and we will investigate and take appropriate action.

Moderators and admins also make use of the reputation system, so members should not be surprised to see both positive or negative reputation comments from forum staff.

A little bump of this seems in order.

A reminder to forum members that the rep system should not be abused (e.g. a campaign of -reps against someone simply because you don't like them is not acceptable) and that rep comments should obey the forum rules (e.g. offensive and rude comments are not acceptable).

Abusing the rep system in such a manner can result in bans if necessary.

When I go to the thingy that shows my +reps and the messages, I see green button thingies....But then I saw one the other day with a steel blue button thingy....What is that? WHat does that mean?

I am pretty sure that means someone -repped you but their rep is so low it doesn't affect you.

When I go to the thingy that shows my +reps and the messages, I see green button thingies....But then I saw one the other day with a steel blue button thingy....What is that? WHat does that mean?

I am pretty sure that means someone -repped you but their rep is so low it doesn't affect you.

NO! No it does not mean its 100% a neg rep!

Green positive
Reg negative
Blue = person is new or does not have enough rep to affect you.. could be positive or it could be negative...... better to go by the remarks in this case to see what the person was feeling or telling you!

Maybe 711 can one day not only show the blue but how that person rep you, but then again if it was a negative rep then that new person would be open to a revenage - rep running their rep before they could even start building a rep.

I have been know to see blue boxs and just to start the person off find a thread of theirs I liked and +rep them :)

The only -rep i ever got was from one who was claiming my bump on someone else was "inapprobiate".

Since that was the only -rep I ever got, i kinda laugh at that person :)

Never saw a blue one although. I thought up to know there are only red and green ones.

You know... I don't think I've ever neg repped someone... If I have, I'm sure I had a valid reason, but I don't recall any. I have pos repped many people if they had a good idea or made a particularly lucid point. I've also never been neg repped, though I do have a blue dot... but the person was commenting positively on my post, so I assume it was a plus. :) I'm sure I'll have the pleasure one day of getting a neg rep, but I really appreciate the positives!

Only got some - reps from the same person, dunno why but let i be lol, already met enough uhm strange people in here :rolleyes: and i dont like it very much when people tell me what to do :D

The min reps from the same person :confused:

Nr.1 : Dude... You supposed to press the +gratz button for the ppl :) No hard feelings

Nr.2 : You kep NOT pressing the gratz button .. i'm about making a nice trhead about you and your shamefull ways

Nr.3 : And many -reps

Nr.4 : Huh ... you keep not gratzing ppl ... :/ shame

Nr.5 : OMG .. when you'lllearnabout some rules in this Forum m8 ? :(

Only got some - reps from the same person, dunno why but let i be lol, already met enough uhm strange people in here :rolleyes: and i dont like it very much when people tell me what to do :D

Nr.1 : Dude... You supposed to press the +gratz button for the ppl :) No hard feelings

Nr.2 : You kep NOT pressing the gratz button .. i'm about making a nice trhead about you and your shamefull ways

I would consider that close to harassment.

Wow that's pretty lame. Perhaps this guy needs to learn that not everybody thinks what he has done is even remotely good.

I have opened threads and not clicked Gratz! before (albeit is a rare occurence, heh). Sometimes I just dont think their "acheivment" is worth a congratulations, lol.

wow i guess i suck cause only time i minus rep is when someone -rep me. guess i should stop that

Funny how instead of neg reps my threads tend to get 1-Star rated instead (straight away no matter what the content) :rofl:

I guess some people find fun in that.

I´ve gotten some reps from people that hasn´t enough rep points of their own and henceforth their reps are "blueish"...

Question though: What happends to all the "blueish" reps u´ve gotten from a person ones he gets enough reps of his own to hand out...green or red reps? (i.e. do these previous reps "transform" into gren/red reps? or do they remain "blueish" for all eternity?)

I´ve gotten some reps from people that hasn´t enough rep points of their own and henceforth their reps are "blueish"...

Question though: What happends to all the "blueish" reps u´ve gotten from a person ones he gets enough reps of his own to hand out...green or red reps? (i.e. do these previous reps "transform" into gren/red reps? or do they remain "blueish" for all eternity?)

they remain the same. :)

they remain the same. :)

But...but...I got so many of those :cry:

Thx for your swift reply though...even if it broke my heart...

Yeah, that's out of line I'd say. Up to you whether you gratz people or not.

wow i guess i suck cause only time i minus rep is when someone -rep me. guess i should stop that

Yeah, I suspect revenge reps are pretty common. My thinking on it is you should only do it if the -rep was totally unwaranted.

Otherwise deal with it, its just a way people have of letting you know they don't like what you said. Even if you disagree with them, they have the right to that opinion. I've had a few quite amusing -reps in my time :D And a few deserved ones I dare say.

Funny how instead of neg reps my threads tend to get 1-Star rated instead (straight away no matter what the content) :rofl:

I guess some people find fun in that.

Nah, its just coz your threads are rubbish :laugh: ;)

yet after reading this thread you still - reped me for - reping you "-rep for -repping me":rolleyes:

hmmm

I guess I should worry about skilling then getting rep. :(

Um, why isn't there a way to fix your +/-rep, meaning canceling it or stuff..? :scratch2: There have been times I've wanted to remove a rep I made and times people wanted to change their reps on me too, that would kinda be nice if we could do that I guess...:rolleyes:

When NOT to give negative reputation

You should not leave a negative reputation simply because you disagree with another member's opinion.

Well I am not a native English speaker, hence I might be wrong. But when I click the "rep" button, in my little alien world, the options are "I approve" or "I disapprove".

Also, "to disapprove" and "to disagree" are synonymous, so I think the forum owner might want to change the options.

Well I am not a native English speaker, hence I might be wrong. But when I click the "rep" button, in my little alien world, the options are "I approve" or "I disapprove".

Also, "to disapprove" and "to disagree" are synonymous, so I think the forum owner might want to change the options.

The words disapprove and disagree are not synonymous.

With regard to to EF reputation system, one should only neg rep if one disapproves of the tone or manner in which an opinion or viewpoint is presented (i.e. the person is rude, inflammatory, unfair, etc.), not if one simply disagrees with that opinion or viewpoint.

The reason this thread was created was to clarify what is meant by the "I approve" and "I disapprove" captions seen when the Add Reputation button is pressed, and when it is appropriate to use each, thus there is no need to "change the options" as you suggest.

I would only give a -rep if the information someone posted was completely wrong... as if a person was intentionally misleading others.

Last edited:
Point taken JB... change to read:

I would only give a -rep if the information someone posted was completely wrong... as if a person was intentionally misleading others.

Is there a way to actualy report -REPs with comments that clearly break the forums rules?

Back