Personal Auction Assistants

Devil Doll

Stalker
Banned
Society
The Jaded Crown
King Buzz Buzzo
Last night, thinking of how my timezone is a real disadvantage when it comes to the auction in this game, I had an idea. (not my first idea but close to it)

It would be great if MA made lootable Personal Auction Assistants. This assistant would be placed just like a Shopkeeper on your property and would have an interface just like the auction. You could place bid limits on items and the assistant, assuming you have the cash on your PED card, would autobid up to that limit.

By making them lootable you could reduce the number of ppl with this available and thus not effect, or rather, control the amount of lag.

It sure would make it easier for me to actually have a chance at winning an auction without having to set my clock to European time!

What do you guys think?

DD
:evilking:

nice idea.
I would like to say yes I totally agree... but I hesitate on one thing. If they are lootable, then of course they will be quite pricy to buy.... which means ubers will buy them (or in this case, probably uber traders).....
Now, this might serve them well, but what about the rest of us :confused: Does this mean that you or I would have even less of a chance of winning auctions?
I'm not saying I don't like the idea, but it would further raise the gap between haves and have-nots...
more thoughts needed imo

yes this is a good idea, because i hate losing a winning bid on something only because it ended at like 3am in my time... :mad:

kinda like proxy bidding on ebay. ;)

What if they did not drop in loots? Or at least if they dropped often enough and there were enough that most ppl had access to it?
I see no problem with the proxy bidding, it's very nice idea.... but I would not want only a select few to have access to it :girl:

I was thinking that everyone having access to it would create undue server burden and too much lag. But I don't know much about these stuffs...

Someone else?

DD

Definitely a good idea. You should talk about it on the "PE Wishlist" section of EP, if you are a member :D

Marco will probably agree if he cares enough to read this, as this would both help with lag and bidders' satisfaction meter...

...and, of course, it would let MindArk earn way more money from insane autobidders :laugh:

In some auctions they use autobidders.

You basically set max bid and it keeps bidding until you either won the auction or reach max bid.

However:

The reason why they are not too commonly used is that they are very exploitable. When you make bids on item you can easily see if that person is using an autobidder. This information is of course important for a seller who wants to raise selling price as high as possible.

No problem if you set max bid low enough (why not put that high bid in first place without autobidder?). But very bad if you put max bid high and think you wont reach it anyway... someone who sees you're using autobidder will try to make you almost reach it.

That's a good point Essi....
you would have ppl pushing a bidder higher and higher... even the seller might have a friend who starts to bid on an item if he were aware of a bidder using a proxy....
but in the end, if you use proxy bidding, you should be prepared to buy the item for the highest amount that you decide :girl:

Thats ok though because I have already set the max level I am comfortable with. Sure there is a little room for exploit.

Can you explain hopw someone could tell that I am using an autobidder and we can see if we can come up with an "unexploitable" method?

DD

Devil Doll said:
Thats ok though because I have already set the max level I am comfortable with. Sure there is a little room for exploit.

Can you explain hopw someone could tell that I am using an autobidder and we can see if we can come up with an "unexploitable" method?

DD

We posted at the same time :)
You made my point also DD... that you have to agree to the highest bid, so be prepared if that's what it turns out to be ;)
As far as knowing who is and who is not using proxy, you wouldn't technically know but you might suspect... so, if new bidders keep bidding and you keep reacting to their bids by raising it by 5 ped each time (or whatever) and this happens immediately, you might suspect it.... OR you might simply suspect that the bidder is watching that particular auction constantly too...
But, if the bidding is a week and this keeps happening at all hours, certainly the seller would at least recognize it to be a proxy if he's smart

So maybe an option to start bidding in the last 5 min. As it is very regular for the bidding to escelate at that time.

DD

Last edited:
Devil Doll said:
So maybe an option to start bidding in the last 5 min. As it is very regular for the bidding to escelate at that time.

DD

I agree :) That would easily solve the situation... nice thought

This is a very good idea! :)

Not that i'm against such idea but if you have a max price in mind, it's probably a fair price for the item you wish to acquire so (like Essi said), why not put that bid in the first place ? (other reason than greed of course :D )

And actually, there's many workarounds to this kind of problem like socmates or friends that can bid in your place. If you're really alone in PE, well, perhaps it's time to make some friends :)

I think it would be more useful for the traders who want to make good deal all the time without even being online. Moreover, i think i've read somewhere sometimes ago a post for a auction system accessible out game and Marco replied that this kind of system will certainly never be made since Mindark wish to "force" the players to be ingame in order to use the auction.

But, well, as i said in the beginning, i'm not really against since, if such a system was available, i'd certainly use it if i can ;)

cacail said:
Not that i'm against such idea but if you have a max price in mind, it's probably a fair price for the item you wish to acquire so (like Essi said), why not put that bid in the first place ? (other reason than greed of course :D )

There are a number of reasons not to initially post your highest bid.... when you wish to bid on something at auction, do you automatically bid the highest that you'd pay for it? Chances are no, unless it's something you REALLY want/need... Most ppl put the minimum bid required.

As far as MA wanting ppl in game, this is silly if Marco indeed said this. MA knows that no1 can be ingame 24/7 :D

Well, thats how auction is isn't it? If everyone had a chance to bid at the last minute, prices will drive up and it will not be fun to auction war now will it?

Also, you say that people will loot these auto bidders and set it up at their estates. Yet you do not want ubers to have them. Unfortunately this is a problem as it normally is the ubers that have estates..

I did not say I did not want ubers to have them. Maybe you are merging my posts with another in your mind.

I do not see how it would make prices go up any more. Ppl are going to pay what they are going to pay. Pricing on everything except Uber items has been very stable and reasonable IMO, but that is another discussion.

And to add a bit, IMO this would level the playing feild a bit between the Europeans, who have a distinct timezone advantage, and the Americans.

DD

Svetlana said:
There are a number of reasons not to initially post your highest bid.... when you wish to bid on something at auction, do you automatically bid the highest that you'd pay for it? Chances are no, unless it's something you REALLY want/need... Most ppl put the minimum bid required.
Well, most of the times, when i buy something, it means that i really want/need it so, i look for an item with a buyout near my wanting price ;)

Svetlana said:
As far as MA wanting ppl in game, this is silly if Marco indeed said this. MA knows that no1 can be ingame 24/7 :D
I've been searching for the post where this subject was brought but i was unable to find it ;( The statement was more something like "As the auction is an ingame system, it'll stay ingame" and not, if you want to bid be 24/7 online ;) So the autobidder's idea might be ok !

Svetlana said:

But also two or more persons bidding same items with autobidders will always reach someone's max limit.

If everyone would have autobidder Im sure it would mostly benefit sellers since quite many items would be sold at at least someones max bid + 1 ped.

I think its easy to believe that it would make winning auctions easier and cheaper but somehow I dont think it would.

Maybe good solution would be following: After original auction time ends (~"open auction"), item will be in "closed auction" for max 12 hours or so. During that time only bidders who have bidded it earlier can place their final bid. After time is up or all bidders have used their bids, item will given to the person with highest bid.

Its a good idea but I think I'd be slightly frustrated if I was on auction and every time I put in a bid it takes just a second and another bid is in, and like that every time I put in a bid.

How about using this for market control? I mean, there is people bidding of a friends item to push the price up allready. And instead you can have a personal assistent to do that for you on all the items you wanna push up in price..

I'm all for change to the auction system. I trade on ebay and in the PE auction and the two constant wind-ups in the PE system are the necessity to be there at the end of the auction and the constant 5 minute extensions.

The extensions wouldn't be necessary if we could proxy bid which would mean that items finish when they are supposed to, which would relieve some stress on the server.

But viewing it from the sellers point of view, it would let you know about serious buyers earlier on so that a sale or no-sale doesn't come as a shock at the end of 10 days.

This, more than almost any other advancement would improve PE for me. Though I wouldn't choose any other planet to be on if push came to shove :handgun:

I think Essi's idea would assist in auctions if DD's does not work.....
Just having bidding opened for X number of hours after the close of a bid to all those who have previously bid on an item.
The time zone difference in this game is enormous, and as ppl have stated it can be quite challenging getting those items you would like when the seller lives across the globe ;)

Whitefox said:
I'm all for change to the auction system. I trade on ebay and in the PE auction and the two constant wind-ups in the PE system are the necessity to be there at the end of the auction and the constant 5 minute extensions.

The extensions wouldn't be necessary if we could proxy bid which would mean that items finish when they are supposed to, which would relieve some stress on the server.

But viewing it from the sellers point of view, it would let you know about serious buyers earlier on so that a sale or no-sale doesn't come as a shock at the end of 10 days.

This, more than almost any other advancement would improve PE for me. Though I wouldn't choose any other planet to be on if push came to shove :handgun:

I love the idea of removing the five minute extension. Too many times noone bids until the very end. Very frusterating...

DD

i dont know i think thats all part of the game i've gotten up at 4am just to chek on a bid before.

But also MA's reply to this i think is going to come in the way of being able to place orders in auction for what you need. and mabey shopkeers that will buy and sell.

Back