Votes: 21 20.4%

• Total voters

actam

Prowler
Society
PhoenixOmega
Actam actam MacNoir
Hi, ppl!
Has many of you know yesterday there was an Art-Display at Ido's Place (little me was contacted by my Soc-Mate Chipie and got there to see those very faboluos images ;))

But this is not the reason of this post...

This morning I did look into my MindArk folder and under the folder
(* directory deleted for security reasons! *)[/B]
I found some new files:
(* filelist deleted for security reason! *)

(*EDIT: hack method deleted! * ) and got the pictures that I was looking at yesterday!

My little question: why not crypt the files?
Anybody could visit the gallery and cache the files and utilize them!:(

btw, very nice pics ;)
P.S: Sorry! I think I can't upload the files to EF! You must wait for Ido!:(

EDIT: I edit the post so ppl will not know the hack! (if you want to thieft, work it by yourself!)

Last edited:
Good find there! I do hope someone will contact MA support ASAP and whine a little about this obvious security flaw. Not much reason to upload art for sale if anyone can just copy the source image from the EU folder. :(

+rep ;)

lol! :laugh: nice one MA :D

it couldnt be easier to copy art. amazing :laugh:

nice find actam :) lets hope they can do something about this

lol that is just bad ... funny but bad :)

Here's an idea, make your own image with the same dimensions, rename it as 100-5000110.dat and save it in the directory. Then go to the displays and see if you see your own image ;)

I was a bit shocked, too...:D
btw, nice pics!

I got Warants logo and Buzz Lighyear Logo, too!

But, really, a little crypt is necessary, imo!:(

lol that is just bad ... funny but bad :)

Here's an idea, make your own image with the same dimensions, rename it as 100-5000110.dat and save it in the directory. Then go to the displays and see if you see your own image ;)

Well, you will be the only one seeing it! Everybody else will see what he has in his folder... lol

Well, you will be the only one seeing it! Everybody else will see what he has in his folder... lol

ofcourse, but then atleast you can test for free what your images will look like on different screens :cool:

ofcourse, but then atleast you can test for free what your images will look like on different screens :cool:

lol, really nice hack here!:)
(and less fees for MA... :( I'm gonna be banned, then!:( )

Preview is allready free...

Preview is allready free...

But don't you have to own the screen for that? There are several different types of screens, so you could see how your image would look on different types of screens.

Ok, not 100% sure whats going on here lol. (Coffe hasn't kicked In)

So basically, there's an EU folder where you can see people's sign logos? What's wrong with that? Couldn't you just take screenshots anyway?

But don't you have to own the screen for that? There are several different types of screens, so you could see how your image would look on different types of screens.

ok, get in my appartment, change that pic with the pistols to your own pic and have a look... your welcome

So basically, there's an EU folder where you can see people's sign logos? What's wrong with that? Couldn't you just take screenshots anyway?

Well, you could start selling Art or other exclusiv stuff, but its pointless if everyone can just get the pic in full resolution out of that folder.

Well, you get the original art uploaded by the artist.
A 2048x1024 resolution pic, not just a low-definition screenshot.
You can then use it own you want...

And the file is just renamed as .dat!

Now imagine the pic-owner that payed 500 PEDs for that image...:(

Well, you could start selling Art or other exclusiv stuff, but its pointless if everyone can just get the pic in full resolution out of that folder.

100% true!
No need to buy something, just go and look and then upload it by yourself!
It's like getting digital copy of "The Monna Lisa"!

the 3d models and bitmap files is not crypted at all, they are just packed in a strange way into the .bnt files. Its possible to extract the .nif files to view them if you are skilled enough :) But i think its against EULA so dont.

2 Votes on "What is Crypt"

In Simple Terms: EnCryption means, in this case, Data is changed in a way that you can´t use it without extra information. First you have to do a DeCryption which is done by a "Key".

Most simple example would be "Change every 0 to a 1" Most data will get useless if you do such a thing and the "Key" would be the information that you have to "change every 1 to a 0".

the 3d models and bitmap files is not crypted at all, they are just packed in a strange way into the .bnt files. Its possible to extract the .nif files to view them if you are skilled enough :) But i think its against EULA so dont.

that is textures and models!
Here we are talking of USER-generated content!
And user can sell theyr art!:(

First, MA can write in the EULA whatever they like. That does not mean its valid.:laugh:
For Germany its 100% legal to do so. But not to "re-use" this data or change the program itself aka "hack" it. One more interesting thing in german law is that MA can´t take away your rights on the user content. It is, and will be for ever, your content. The only thing possible is to give MA permission to use it. But in the case MA makes money with your content, they will have to pay you for it.
The EULA is full of "crap". MA would get kicked their butts in many cases if someone would go to court; and not only in Germany, but in the hole European Union.

The only thing possible is to give MA permission to use it.

Very true!
And no crypt means easy access to the pics.
Anybody could download them and upload them where the hell they want! :(

Ok, i did not get it right, seems you have to visit the places with the signs if you want that pic in your folder.

:yay: Means a NEW PROFESSION: Art Snatcher! :eek:

Ok, i did not get it right, seems you have to visit the places with the signs if you want that pic in your folder.

:yay: Means a NEW PROFESSION: Art Snatcher! :eek:

lol, yes!:laugh:
Selling art @ TP! 1500%!;)

Thank you for reporting Actam !

I will take imediate action and contact MA

I hope noone intends to steal my art

Ido

Ido

Since you're gonna take action, I guess there's nothing else to do than give you a +rep and send you on your way. ;)

I very hope not!:(
And I hope that MA solve the situation quick!
(maybe a cache delete after closing the client will be ok has temporanealy soluction!)

Ido

:evilking: I do intend to do so! :D

You better lock your Apartment mate ;)

"Clear Cache": All i can say: Window Mode...

This is a big MA concurent problem.Som people made a softweare to steal "art" with openGL things.
Lots of player ask to have something more secured using diretx and so on...
Lots of player have stoped all art dealing in that game.

Now , MA make it even more easy to steal stuff , only need rename the file...

In other hand its not easy to secure something like that , but , how can you hope to player sell art (and artist) if evryone can get the same full size for free ...

Display in game should be larger , and stuff should be more secured ....

Oh my god :/ And here i was getting ready to put up a load of pictures. I wont now till thats fix. Thats just disgraceful.:(

Thing is if u take my art and upload it to the game it will result in permanent lock of your account and the art of mine you would sell will be deleted... In case i find art pieces of suspicious origin i might ask MA to investigate and if the source dosent lead to my upload but somone elses then i will insist action is taken :p

Let me put it this way... if somone will try to upload and profit from my art i will be VERY mad with him... and i dont mean very mad i mean VERY VERY MAD .. so mad that artoxes will curl up their tails and run i fear of my wrath :mad: :bomb:

and if you copy the art for profit in real life...
then i think u can imagine the reslults of that... curse from lootius forever:vampire: :cdevil:

Any good lawyers around ? anyone knows if legal action against MA is possible in case they decide not to do anything?

Any good lawyers around ? anyone knows if legal action against MA is possible in case they decide not to do anything?

Maybe a legal action will make them stop the user-content until its solved.:(
Btw, maybe you should lock your apt!
(or ppl coming in will automatically download the pictures!)

Back