Ugly Item Icon Award goes to V8.11

But still ugly :cool: (especially the MF chips)

Last edited:
So (correct me if I'm wrong here):
By doing a massive graphic change on most of the stuff in the inventory, the artist's actually gained more time..? Compered to letting it be the way it was? Hrrrrrmbullshithrrm. Or are they drawing every icon by hand every time it appear in someones inventory? (that would actually explain a lot as it is now..)
Neh, I think one of the staff's kid got hold of the source code and decided to make a mark in history! A lot more fun than just duplex your ass in the xerox while having to hang around mum's job, right kids? ;)

Edit:
Hmm, just read this on another thread:
It looks to me they simply made all the icons a smaller version of the real thing. It used to be that icons were some prerendered enhanced bitmap, not resembling the original. So the new icons are simply made by a script. No design resources wasted. This system would be more flexible to future updates. When graphics change, they can simply run the script again, and all the icons are updated too.

Seems like I owe the graphic guys an apology. Silly me :hammer:

Last edited:
Stop Whining and Start Playing

Or

Stop Whining and Stop Playing

Hi,

The developers gave a response about the New Icon Designs in the Developers Blog. Bertha should also get it soon.

21 Mar 2007

The new icon designs introduced in VU 8.11 have allowed us to come away from time consuming hand drawn icons by automating the process. This allows our graphic artists to concentrate on other more important tasks.

Please note that icon appearance depends on the visual quality slider option as well as your graphics card capabilities.

Unfortunately, lesser graphics cards will not provide the optimal visual experience.

Originally Posted on EntropiaUniverse.com Developer's Blog

I think that way (icon creation on fly depend on 3d item) is very good.
I only have 1 wish , that the light effect on the icon and on item window , can be set separated in the option menu.

For me those icon looks very good as the item , but , the light effect is too heavy.Maybe for other player it not hard enought.
A slider to set the light intensity for ison and item would be very good , and i bet , most of complain would be remouved.
Also , i dont think adding a slider to set a light is so hard , compared to how it would improve the whole new icon system for evryone.

Please note , this slider setting should be and stay separette from other light and effect system.
The more setting , the more adapted to customer.

Stop Whining and Start Playing

Or

Stop Whining and Stop Playing

I don't think any one is really whining or is unappreciative of the new changes, it's more of a "Wondering why" mind set. ;)

It's like the game is a dirty kitchen. The sink is full of dirty dishes, floor is sticky, garbage can is over flowing and there is spoiled food on the counters. Employees walk in and hang some fancy curtains on the window and say tah dah look I've made it all better in here. Enjoy :yay:

It's beautiful now..... but............urmmmm well gee thanks for the curtains man. :ahh:
Curtain one (auction improvements great) Curtain two (new pvp area is very cool) Curtain three, (love the new items) so on and so forth.:wtg: Happy happy joy joy:laugh:

I don't think any one is really whining or is unappreciative of the new changes, it's more of a "Wondering why" mind set. ;)

It's like the game is a dirty kitchen. The sink is full of dirty dishes, floor is sticky, garbage can is over flowing and there is spoiled food on the counters. Employees walk in and hang some fancy curtains on the window and say tah dah look I've made it all better in here. Enjoy :yay:

It's beautiful now..... but............urmmmm well gee thanks for the curtains man. :ahh:
Curtain one (auction improvements great) Curtain two (new pvp area is very cool) Curtain three, (love the new items) so on and so forth.:wtg: Happy happy joy joy:laugh:

could have bee worse..
They could oppen som more beer can and bacardi lemon , puke on the ground , and write their name on the wall.

At least the curtain are clean,well intalled ,and not with hole.Lets hope they will still continu improve :D

I must say i like most of the new icons, with some exceptions such as the molisk teeth... And I see no problem with the ingots, i like the variation.

Hours Into the VU, and some thread about how shit Icons look...

Most VUs its bugs. Now It seems as there are less this VU, that there needs to be at least ONE VU complain thread.

What really Is the big deal? New colours and pictures on your Items lol. It doesnt affect them In anyway. I think Its nice to have a new set for a while.

Seroiusly. Go out there and find some real things about the VU to complain about...

Ive always wondered whether we as a community are full of people striving to play the perfect game, or whether MA really does make alot of mistakes. This thread makes me think that we actually arn't happy unless there's something wrong...

Next it'll be in a few VUs, "Ugh, the border around that tree behind the service center In Jason Is HORRIBLE, MA what were you thinking?!?"

Jeez. Will MA ever get It right? :rolleyes:

*Squuzes Into the Fire Proof safe and locks It from Inside...*

JUst goes to show that you can't please everyone... or in this case anyone. I for one like the new icons. And I think MA made a valid effort to improve. I think most people just expect there to be massive problems and are thinking negatively before even trying it our for a while. Like a bunch of little kids sometimes... :laugh:

could have bee worse..
They could oppen som more beer can and bacardi lemon , puke on the ground , and write their name on the wall.

At least the curtain are clean,well intalled ,and not with hole.Lets hope they will still continu improve :D

:bandit:LOL HAHAHA LOL Exactly!:rofl:
:shower:

New VU is great, new icons look a bit shabby to me, but well... it might be my graphics slide bar turned to low :D Will get used to it, the once "ugly and non-informative" radar is looking familiar today as well so :yay:

Back