Day & Night

Would you like to see Day/Night cycles on Calypso

• Total voters
Omg Wistrel so many great ideas deserves some +rep for sharing :)

especialy like the part of dressing up for the occasion hahaha, and birds starting to sing at dawn :)

If you search around for some of my other posts in past threads on the same topic you would probably find more. I'm an old time campaigner to the cause :D

Just to add a little bumpage to this one, its a published fact that the original (when there was just one) PE artist was an evangelist for the idea of day and night on Calypso. I guess this makes sence, him being an artist and all, especially one who was more or less responsible for a large chunk of the world we see around us on Calypso.

Have a look in the Entropian Issue 1 if you want to read the interview.

Still, its good to know that at least ONE of MA's employees is on our side :silly2:

Sry if I am too lazy to read all posts so maybe this was said already:
well the solar system that calypso is located is has 1 sun as far as i know :D why make difference between amertha and eudoria ?

Well let's say it that way: Amethera is on oposite side of Calypso, so if it's daytime on Eudoria its dark on amethera.

To what some people said before: It would be awesome, to hunt with all those glowing melee weapons like swords and fists in the night. :yay: They shine so bright, you probably wouldn't even need night vision tools. So finaly some kind of advantage for melee users (doesn't happen often..).

Please please please please MINDARK!! :wtg:

I have presented my idea to one of the founders of MA .. i dont know if i am allowed to say who it was but their response was very positive:

Hi :)
I agree, I would also like day and night :)
I guess it will be in Entropia one day :)

now just to convince the development team that one day should come sooner than later....

what do you guys think? Marco? Frank? any comments?

Not Marco, Marco is more...

,-)

I think...

haha i was asking Marco and Frank for comments on this issue :)

The person i talked to wasent either one of them

No !!

i dont like that so when its night how am i ever gonna find my (mining) claim back

how wil hunting be ?? ( yea u see on the radar ...)

and PvP then u wont see your enemie's only on radar ...

The artist then... er Ralf Svensen? or something? Forget the name sorry memory not turned on right today

i dont like that so when its night how am i ever gonna find my (mining) claim back

* your claim has either a green or blue light, if you ever found something you surely must have noticed :D
* hunting would be nicer, allowing new and unprecedented creatures, also to have some creatures dissapear/camouflaged/or have special colouring when the cycle turns!
* BLP would be more efficient but Laserfights would be way cooler
* PvP ? three words for that ... Night Vision Goggles (L) ... and way much more excitement then just being shot because someone has a further range :D Even knives or blades could finally come in handy if radars' raydius would diminish during the night so you could sneak up to someone

The new areas with the mountains and lighthouse would be like postcards, ppl could join EU for the Virtual Holiday factor, and the EU weddings would be much more romantic on a sunset beach ...

plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz MA ... can't be that hard to implement :yay:

haha if it WAS totally dark, it would be VERY easy for MA to work on the game.

Statement from MA: "Entropia has some of the most sophisticated cutting edge graphics of the present day. Unfortunately due the perpetual darkness on Calypso its pretty much impossible to see them... but we assure you. They are FANTASTIC!" :D:D:D

To answer this though, look at the examples on the first page. Night would be like Jason center is now I imagine. If you go outside anyhow IRL (at least in England) its rarely so dark that you can't see unless you are in a forest.

Yes maybe SOME areas (like the dense jungle on amethera) might be really dark but this would just add to the fun of playing there. Mobs might be harder to kill hence loot more but at the acceptance that more of your ammo is likely to go astray.

But aside from this, if all of outdoors was like say... the caves? then we could have special miners helmets with lights on? or lights we could attach to our guns? Heck, what about flares even?

One of the things I actually really like about entropia is the way that, sometimes, even when I can see a mob on the radar, I STILL struggle to spot it in the field due to landscape or flora. At night or through precipitation and dynamic fog this would be even better.

Imagine seeing that dot rushing towards you but all your flashlight illuminates is a dense wall of fog? is it an atrox? or a Daikiba? Run or fight?

Man that would make the game SO much more exhiting! :yay:

* PvP ? three words for that ... Night Vision Goggles (L) ... and way much more excitement then just being shot because someone has a further range :D Even knives or blades could finally come in handy if radars' raydius would diminish during the night so you could sneak up to someone

plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz MA ... can't be that hard to implement :yay:

I know I'll be hated for saying this but.... here goes.

A long while ago now MA suddenly reduced the radar so that only the middle area was used. At the same time they made it so that all the mobs off that middle area could not be seen.

They claimed this would reduce lag and were probably right but it had the bad visual effect that mobs will appear and disapear on your vision (and radar) depending on where you are standing. Pretty poo really since it took them long enough to stop buildings doing that.

Anyhow, when they did this I was almost certain that the secondary plan would be to later introduce a radar upgrade that could be manufactured and sold. Such basic equipment is a really good idea as it encourages initial goals and investment for new players (and new players badly need goals!)

This hasn't happened yet which seems odd to me. To be honest it seems odd that there isn't some kinda map upgrade you could buy and/or an ability to trade say augmentations you make to it? I wanna trade information! :yay: "Information comes at a price!"

It just seems crazy that there isn't areas yet where the radar simply "doesn't work" and you need to a) either brave the unknown or b) buy an upgrade.

I like the idea that (for some odd reason) the radar didn't work (or even better was faulty/innacurate/misleading) at night! would be cool,

the radar reduces the distance at which easy mob like daiki and snabbles are drawn ... but if it comes to areanatrox u will see them at the very far end of ur radar i belive ...

but lets not discuss radars ... lets discuss day and night ...

Please MA :D all other games have it why are we supposed to be inferior ?

Well ok I'll try and keep OT (notice how I'm deliberately keeping this thread going?).

I'd say its all related though really. MA need a reason to put it in.

Yes I know just having pretty graphics should be enough but pretty graphics that not only add a real contribution to how the game is played and perhapse as a side effect even encourage more spending (to be honest ALL improvements probably do this in some minor indirect way) have gotta be higher on the list surely than just pretty graphics.

Hmm.... I wonder what the chinese would think of a futuristic world where it never gets dark and they can't even buy a hover car?*

Wistrel

*yes... I'm evil. But I think its a question that needs to be asked

I always thought Zychion would look good in the rain:

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

You have gained experience in your CS2 skill

Had to vote yes, since a day/night cycle would add an interesting addition to the game. As would weather for that matter, giving a different feel to certain areas of the map. Lighting in games often helps set the mood, and to be honest I'd find it much more exciting going to hunt somewhere where its dark - perhaps even with a storm if MindArk ever create weather. It'd give the game a more 'realistic' feel, rather than having just static lighting and skys.

Since you can't please everyone, perhaps open up an underground section - like a huge mass of caverns and tunnels. This way people who wouldn't want to hunt in the dark could stay above ground, whilst others can explore in the darker areas. I wouldn't say its a perfect solution, but at least offers a new place to explore, somewhere different to hunt/mine and its in the dark.

pff just dont like it cuz i am afraid in the dark :ahh:

nono just kidding :laugh::laugh::nutkick:

I always thought Zychion would look good in the rain:

You have gained experience in your CS2 skill

Had to vote yes, since a day/night cycle would add an interesting addition to the game. As would weather for that matter, giving a different feel to certain areas of the map. Lighting in games often helps set the mood, and to be honest I'd find it much more exciting going to hunt somewhere where its dark - perhaps even with a storm if MindArk ever create weather. It'd give the game a more 'realistic' feel, rather than having just static lighting and skys.

Since you can't please everyone, perhaps open up an underground section - like a huge mass of caverns and tunnels. This way people who wouldn't want to hunt in the dark could stay above ground, whilst others can explore in the darker areas. I wouldn't say its a perfect solution, but at least offers a new place to explore, somewhere different to hunt/mine and its in the dark.

New desktop wallpaper thanks. Incidentally McCormick made a vid a while back featuring something similar using a screen shot of minopolis I made when my graphics card was bugged (the sky went dark like a storm was coming :yay:) I think its called FX and has a lot of conceptual ideas like this.

Awww could you imagine Lightning? It would be ace to suddenly get caught in a storm and find it hard to see. Yes I know that hunters complain cause they like it regimented and slot machine like but as I said, loots could be adjusted to account for more missed shots.

More ideas on weather. MA say, "we need a reason for vehicles before we introduce them". Well how about vehicles that get muddy or messy due to weather? Suddenly a whole new market in cleaning chemicals opens up :laugh:

lol a lightning hit u in the PvP4

mrs. lightning lightning killed (name player) whit a lightning shot
and found a deposit og 52 lightning ped.

Voted yes.
But only if it's not just for the amazing graphics; it should add something to basic gameplay.
E.g. you'll be able to enhance night sight by adding a nightscope or something;
certain type of mob will be sleepy at night time (but so are you) so they'll hit less often / agro less

Why would anyone want to restrict their visibility?
Sounds like a terrible idea to me.

How would you like hunting in that?

And all of you wanting night goggles... do you realise this is just going to make the game more costly? All I want to do is hunt some creatures and soak up the sun.

do you realise this is just going to make the game more costly? All I want to do is hunt some creatures and soak up the sun.

Yes. If you'd read the thread (or even just the last few pages of it) you would've realised this. nothing wrong with a little more money for a little more fun. I doubt a night scope or torch would cost any more than a normal scope does to use.

However, if done right then night time wouldn't have to inconvenience anyone. It doesn't have to be 12 hours of darkness ya know?

What's the point of even having darkness, it just means you have to wear a scope or some sort of night vision goggles.

Tell me what the advantage is, other than "fun" in some people opinion.
It's going to make the game more expensive, and a large inconvenience.

u can make it much more nice and fun without ading any inconvinience ...

take a look at any other MMO

yeah i posted my screenies to prove the fact it can be done over a night or 2 by 1 person alone

not to show u how the end result has to look like

if u would read the post u would know that lol

do you realise this is just going to make the game more costly? All I want to do is hunt some creatures and soak up the sun.
If you wouldn't like it, you can log off during the nightcycles. So in your case the game would become cheaper and you should be equally happy :scratch2: :laugh:

cND and CP wouldn't have nightcycles anyway as they're indoors.

I found this picture in the gallery...

Its Mynx desktop i belive ... the picture shows a night shot of one of the recently popular MMO ...

I think this might convince u Night can be just as bright as day in terms of visibility and gameplay ... but still look like nighttime ...

and there u go i hope noone will say that it will be TOO DARK in the night to play ...

Last edited:
What's the point of even having darkness, it just means you have to wear a scope or some sort of night vision goggles.

Tell me what the advantage is, other than "fun" in some people opinion.
It's going to make the game more expensive, and a large inconvenience.

This post really cracks me up :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edit: We can have CND giving us light like the moon :D

Okay Ido's screenie is good. I could care less about night time if it was like that screenie. I'm all for it, if it's like that screenie.

Night vision goggles, and night scopes are just retarded though.
Here's another idea... lets get rain, but not because it looks cool, just so that way we can pay more money and get a raincoat and umbrella.

Sorry to be the downer, but I'd vote yes for night as long as it was like that screenie, and night vision or any other costly item would not be made because of it.

Back