Smoking In Bars

Should smoking in bars be against the law?

• Smoking in bars should be OK

Votes: 144 60.0%
  • Smoking in bars should be outlawed

Votes: 96 40.0%

• Total voters
Im one hundred percent against smoking and Im an ex smoker. It really is something that should be stopped right now regardless of whomevers toes you step on and all this rubbish about personal choice and freedom. Besides the obvious facts that its a dirty smelly habit and that you can get cancer its also the fact of second hand smoke and its cancer causing ability that can effect alot of people around you, more so than any other bad social habit will effect strangers.

I smoked for 10 years, I'll never regain the degrea of health that I had before I started smoking no matter how much I exercise and eat right but atleast I am not smoking around my daughter and Im keeping her away from anyone else that does. This whole issue with smoking shows one thing thats greater than anything else and its that smokers only think of themselves and theyr wants and not of anyone else. Look at cars on the road around you and you will find a minivan or car with a parent and kids in it and the parent is smoking away with the kids inside having to inhale that crap. A bar or a night club is the best example of the selfish behaviour of a smoker, so are public outdoor lunch places and many resturaunts.

Chainfire said:
I don't own the world, BUT NEITHER DO YOU.

Nope, but you dont see me burping/farting/spitting in your face just because you dont own the world, do you?

I don't think smoking itself should be illegal but i do hate it when people smoke around me (poisoning me) without asking and i do think people and especially parents that smoke around children should be hang.

I don't care if you want to poison yourself, imo even harddrugs etc should be legalized but just don't harras or poison other people.

BTW Dirk, in Belgium a public children playground was closed for a while because some neighbours went to the judged complaining about the noise they made :eek:

The thing that really really floors me is that smokers or atleast the huge majority of them actually think they are doing no wrong and that smoking is perfectly normal. It is a startling wakeup though when one night as your drifting off to sleep in bed you hear what sounds like soda pop lightly fizzing in its can and after you look around you realize that whats fizzing is your lungs as you breathe in and out. It absolutely should be illegal and the companies shut down because of just how damaging and deadly this product really is to the people who use it and the people who are around it wether by choice or against theyr will.

Its true that an addict really is blind to theyr own illness.

Skam said:
Nope, but you dont see me burping/farting/spitting in your face just because you dont own the world, do you?

If I'm in a place where that is known to happen, I wouldn't cry about it either.

---EDIT---
n.b. how about answering my question while you're replying anyways?

@neox, and everybody really
I am a smoker. I would go so far as to say that I am a heavy smoker, 40-60 cigs a day. However, me and my mostly heavy smoking friends to take other people into account. We don't smoke in front of children and mostly dont smoke in front of people who have expressed their dislike of it either. Though the latter depends on the place, if I'm in the windy fresh air, whatever. If I'm in the smoking section of XXX, whatever more.

I just really do not understand what all you folks' problem is with having smoking and non-smoking bars, who cares if you call them 'public' or not. Why is it that you need all bars and establishments non smoking? What is that about? I'll happily go the smoking bar, while you go to the non-smoking one.

Hell, even I think, though it may not seem that way, that smoking should eventually be outlawed. But then, in a good, 'profitable' way for everyone. Start by banning all uses of 'extra-addicting' materials in cigarettes and such (you know they put them in there! And a LOT of it at that). This'll take a few months to filter out of everyone's systems. Then, try reducing the harmful and/or addicting natural substances in cigarettes even more - if necessary to do that, increase prices a little. Slowly incorporate nasty tasting stuff into them so it just feels really icky to smoke a cig. Do anything possible to reduce the physical addiction per cigarette. After this has been going on for one-two years, ban cigarettes all together. Don't put jail on it for smoking (that'd be overkill), just ban the production and sales and such (with hard sentences). Make sure this happens just before 'summer break', as most people have holidays then and business is just generally slow. By now, you should have nullified all physical addiction, only the mental addiction remaining. Since this happened at 'summer break', MOST will be fairly easily able to cope with the reduced efficicency and increased stress. IMHO, that is the only way to make all of it really happen.

Why am I saying that? Multiple reasons. I DO think smoking is a disgusting habit, even if I indulge in it myself a LOT. I DO think it is a bad thing. I DO think it harms other as well. (That however, does not take away my opinion that you non-smokers shouldn't force it the way you are doing, I'd have that opinion even if I wouldn't smoke right now) BUT I like to believe I'm greatly tolerant of others and I expect the same back. If you really want to ban smoking, do it in a constructive way which will HELP instead of PUNISH. And by all means, KEEP IT FAIR. Banning smoking in all bars is nothing short of egocentric controlfreakism by the non-smoking party. I really DO think it would be better for everyone if it had never been invented. Do you really think I'm blind to my own illness because of my addiction? I'll easily admit I'm an addict to smoking. I'll admit I'm an addict to drinking too. I might not be a certified alcoholic but I know when it's to much. I'll admit I'm a PE addict. I'll even admit I'm addicted to poontang. How does this make me blind? Hell I even stated that I DO think it's a bad thing.

Right now, I would not be able to stop smoking simply because of the amount of pressure I have right now to do so many things in so little time and quitting smoking would put me easily over the top of the amount of stress I can take. I have actually quit before for quite a few months, but then a lot of really bad shit happened and it drove me right back into it. Anyhoo, nothing will ever really motivate me to quit, aside from it being totally outlawed, since I'm pretty damned sure that whatever happens, I'll die because of heart failure long long long before lung cancer has a chance to get me (I have a genetic heart disorder).

As stated, if you really want all this to bugger off, fix it in a good, easy way for everyone instead of forcing your wants on others. That may work. The only thing you (non-smokers) are creating right now the way things are going is massive unwill.

And if you can't do that, there are other options imaginable. How about a 'capsule' the fits around your cigarette so only you inhale the smoke through the filter, and your fellow people do not inhale the smoke 'from the top'? If someone builds that, I'll be sure to buy it. As I stated before, I'm not totally inconsiderate.

Last edited:
Chainfire said:
A smoking bar is a bit different from a non firesafe bars and such. In the case of smoking/non-smoking, I'd definitly say it's the owners thing if he allows it or not. Regulating that is just bs imho.

That is because you smoke. When it comes to things that benefit you, you start liking regulations.

Yes, way more reasoning. You think if we ban cars this will decrease driving as well?

Why do you think driving cars is already very regulated? Its restricted to certain areas, requires you to follow certain rules and have driving licence. Nothing more dramatic is now done with smoking.

Traffic rules are there to ensure that car drivers wouldnt hurt others. A bit same is now done with smokers.

I don't own the world, BUT NEITHER DO YOU.

The difference is that I try not to harm people.

I dont care about smokers health but I do care that people dont hurt others.

Last edited:
I think I have written about this earlier but I'll write this again:

The system here (and I think it's a pretty good one) is that all bars and restaurant above certain size need to have certain sized non-smoking area. Also all of the staff working zones (behind counters etc) need to be non-smoking areas.

I think there was some rules that smoke from smoking areas shouldnt come to non-smoking areas (which basically need good air conditioning).

In practise this works very well and in many bars the non-smoking area is now even bigger that it is required to be by the law (even in bars where there was no non-smoking area before at all). The thing just is that before required by law hardly any bars had non-smoking areas.

I think there was planned next stage of smoking ban where smoking areas actually become non-serving zones so that restaurant staff arent required to go there. (It's an initiative of restaurant workers union or such I think.)

Chainfire said:
How about a 'capsule' the fits around your cigarette so only you inhale the smoke through the filter, and your fellow people do not inhale the smoke 'from the top'? If someone builds that, I'll be sure to buy it. As I stated before, I'm not totally inconsiderate.

There are such in japan already. But it will remove only a fraction of all smoke and will not allow smoking in non-smoking areas. Thats the reason why it wasnt success I guess.

naaah
smoke is a drag...

Essi said:
I think I have written about this earlier but I'll write this again:

The system here (and I think it's a pretty good one) is that all bars and restaurant above certain size need to have certain sized non-smoking area. Also all of the staff working zones (behind counters etc) need to be non-smoking areas.

I think there was some rules that smoke from smoking areas shouldnt come to non-smoking areas (which basically need good air conditioning).

In practise this works very well and in many bars the non-smoking area is now even bigger that it is required to be by the law (even in bars where there was no non-smoking area before at all). The thing just is that before required by law hardly any bars had non-smoking areas.

I think there was planned next stage of smoking ban where smoking areas actually become non-serving zones so that restaurant staff arent required to go there. (It's an initiative of restaurant workers union or such I think.)

I can live with a non-served smoking area. I usually hop down to the bar to get drinks anyways (or better yet, send one of my friends ;)) But this is a lot different from a totally non-smoking bar.

There should be an "I don't care!" option for the poll.
Obviously I wouldn't because bars arn't my thing... Lol I have my own in tha basement though :]

Back