Window Mode - How to make it work!

Alien

Stalker
Society
The Calypso Rescue Team
Ok.. I'm sick to death of explaining to peple how to make window mode work, so I've decided to create this mini guide.

I’m guessing that if your window mode doesn’t work – It displays in your clientloader as this;
Window1.jpg

Now the reason its not displaying any resolutions for window mode is because your COMPUTER resolution is set too low.

To change our computer resolution we click;
Start --> Control panel --> Then Display
Display_935871.jpg

A window will pop up looking like this;
Controlpanel1.jpg

We now click the tab called ‘Settings’ to change the resolution
ControlpanelSettings.jpg

We can see here that the resolution is set to 1024*768 Pixels – This resolution is 1 step too low for windowed mode to work.
If your maximum resolution is 1024*768 pixels – Unfortunately your computer will not be able to run EU in window mode.

Any resolution above 1024*768 will allow you to run window mode, to increase the resolution, slide the slide-bar 1 step to the right. When you’ve increased your resolution, click ‘Apply’ – The screen will change, Click ‘Yes’ to keep the new resolution setting. If your computer prompts yo to restart click ‘No’ for now – You’ll end up restarting it sooner or later when you switch it off!
Ctrlpanelgoodres.jpg

I have shifted mine to maximum resolution (as seen above)

Now once your resolution is set, open the EU clientloader again – This time under the window mode tab you will see something like this;
NewClientloader.jpg

Select one of the resolutions shown for window mode and click ‘Ok’.

That’s it! You can now run EU in window mode, Enjoy!

Last edited:
If your maximum resolution is 1024*768 pixels – Unfortunately your computer will not be able to run EU in window mode.

Ahh, that's what I needed to know. Thanks for clarification, +rep for that and for the guide.

Just a Bump to help people :)

Should I ask for this to be stickied? I couldn;t find other guides for window mode..

Just a Bump to help people :)

Should I ask for this to be stickied? I couldn;t find other guides for window mode..

Excellent guide! +rep :thumbup:

yeah, i've responded to problems with this before and gotten other peeps to get it working as well, but was always on the fly and not an actual guide ... nice job :)

found the link ... ironically started by alien on an alt-tabbing issue :D

Last edited:
Cool! Thanks!

:ahh:Errrmmm.. what is the advantage of running it in windowed mode...? :scratch2::ahh:

While I have never felt the need to run in windowed mode, TY for a Guide as to how to do it, should I ever feel the need.

+Rep.

an advantage to not running something in full-screen?? you're kidding right? can you say "no more alt-tab?"

:dunno: Never used it in the first place! :ahh: I log in, play, log out.

good on ya though if it helps! ;)

+ rep for your microguide;)

Bump since this has fallen a little :)

Please could a Mod sticky this or something if you read it (And think it's good enough of course)

Thank!

Helpful bump as a weak form of apology for not finding the OP with some argo skins in time for the coat...hat maybe ?

Awaiting the HOF mode tutorial now :yay:

t

Now i know why I cant play in windows mode.
:(
Thanks for explanation.
:)

It could - someone, I don't know who, posted how to do it here on EF. It was a bit dodgy, though (ie Mindark might not like it) so I will give no instructions. Anyone interested would have to try and find it themselves. ;)

Actually, this is not completly true. It's may not be possible with the EU ClientLoader to set window mode, with 1024x768 resolution, but with a lil workaround, it's possible.

Simply create a shortcut to the entropia.exe and in the destination window you add

-n<username> -p<password> -col32 -dw -w1000 -h720 -bw1500 -v0 -k1 -r4 -a0

the parameters are as follow:

-col32 / -col16: Color depth (16 or 32 Bit)
-dw / -df: windowed or fullscreen
-w: Width in pixel (You can enter any number here, but it's wise to put a number which is multiple of 4/16)
-h: Height in pixel
-bw: bandwidth in kbit/s (1500 means: 1.5 MBit)

not sure:
-a: Antialiasing?
-r: maybe visual quality (have it on max, and it has 4 steps, and r=4
-k / -v: dunno

So the complete textfield may be look like this:
"D:\Online Games\Project Entropia\Entropia.exe" -n<Username> -p<Password> -col32 -dw -w1000 -h720 -bw1500 -v0 -k1 -r4 -a0

Of course you have to replace <Username> with your actual username and <Password> with your password, without the < >.
For example:
If your username is "RandomGuy" and your password is "ultrasecret123", then you enter "-nRandomGuy -pultrasecret123". There is no space between -n and the username, same for pass.

Another important thing is, the commands are case sensitive. So it's important to use -col32 and -nUsername and NOT -COL32 -NUsername!

Warning: Since you're bypassing the Client Loader by this way, it's important to insert the username and passwort inside the shortcut (or you won't be able to login by this way). This may be a security risk, because anyone who has access to your PC, can log in EU by just double clicking on the shortcut, without entering the username and password (or open the properities of the shortcut and can see the login information as clear text).
It is YOUR TASK to make sure, that if you use this method, no one other than yourself, has access to your PC/the shortcut.

There are also a few sugestions how to limit it:
If multiple persons using your PC, don't let them login with administration account. You change the access rights on the file, with NTFS restrictions (if you HDD is formated in NTFS format). You can see this in your Windows Manual or Helpfile how to do this (or maybe someone other explain it here, i'm to lazy). It would also be wise to encrypt the file with windows encryption (supported in Win2k and later versions on NTFS Filesystem), so only the user who encrypted it, can encrypt it.

Another nice side effect, you don't have to enter your username and password everytime. It's not that much of an issue for newer EU players, but the old ones who played since PE went gold, the usernames and passwords was kinda cryptic and random letter/numbers and pretty pretty hard to remember (like mine -_-) ^^

Good job, on the how to do, i don't use it but i am sure it will help a lot of people who will . thank's

THX, I just needed this at the very moment :laugh:

Really thx

BumP - Cos I just had to refer a friend to here, thought others might need it tooo :)

hey this just a bump and ill cya on AIN alien

another bump coz no1 has replied to this thread for a long time

another bump lol

Allways been playing in window mode:)its quiet usefull-i can use other programs without quiting EU-like Skype and other...GL;)

Please could a Mod sticky this or something if you read it

Sending a PM would have got it done quicker ;)

Anyway, nice guide and to end the bumps...thread is sticky.

How do I get EU to run in window mode? ;)

You can even run it windowed in 1024x768 :)

Just switch back to this resolution after firing up EU !

You can even run it windowed in 1024x768 :)

Just switch back to this resolution after firing up EU !

Much easier with the other method:

This method still works, just that the -n and -p parameters for username and password were removed.

Actually, this is not completly true. It's may not be possible with the EU ClientLoader to set window mode, with 1024x768 resolution, but with a lil workaround, it's possible.

Simply create a shortcut to the entropia.exe and in the destination window you add

-n<username> -p<password> -col32 -dw -w1000 -h720 -bw1500 -v0 -k1 -r4 -a0

the parameters are as follow:

-col32 / -col16: Color depth (16 or 32 Bit)
-dw / -df: windowed or fullscreen
-w: Width in pixel (You can enter any number here, but it's wise to put a number which is multiple of 4/16)
-h: Height in pixel
-bw: bandwidth in kbit/s (1500 means: 1.5 MBit)

not sure:
-a: Antialiasing?
-r: maybe visual quality (have it on max, and it has 4 steps, and r=4
-k / -v: dunno

So the complete textfield may be look like this:
"D:\Online Games\Project Entropia\Entropia.exe" -n<Username> -p<Password> -col32 -dw -w1000 -h720 -bw1500 -v0 -k1 -r4 -a0

Of course you have to replace <Username> with your actual username and <Password> with your password, without the < >.
For example:
If your username is "RandomGuy" and your password is "ultrasecret123", then you enter "-nRandomGuy -pultrasecret123". There is no space between -n and the username, same for pass.

Another important thing is, the commands are case sensitive. So it's important to use -col32 and -nUsername and NOT -COL32 -NUsername!

Much easier with the other method:

This method still works, just that the -n and -p parameters for username and password were removed.

...just curious, if my usename don´t contain the letter "n" nor my password contain the letter "n" ...u still type it like this?

"D:\Online Games\Project Entropia\Entropia.exe" -nTest -pSecretword -col32 -dw -w1000 -h720 -bw1500 -v0 -k1 -r4 -a0

:scratch2:

Back