How Armor Works

Armour enhancers increase the decay just like if you had a better piece of armour. They use the same formula, so if a 30 protection armour has I and II defence enhancers (making it 33 protection), it'll decay like a 33 protection armour.

Armour enhancers increase the decay just like if you had a better piece of armour. They use the same formula, so if a 30 protection armour has I and II defence enhancers (making it 33 protection), it'll decay like a 33 protection armour.

so it can be interessing on L item or on special normal armor... but i am not sure its good option for everyday hunting armor..
You pay decay like bigger armor + enhancer cost...

Enhancer cost is minimal, they cost like 30 pec after markup and last forever

you mean i can hunt full year with 1 enhancer ?

or just that you dont hunt much so it seems to you they dont go away?

for weapon its estimated 1 enhancer per 1000 shoot , maybe its same for armor 1 every 1000 hit from mobs

this for 30 pec is not a big deal i agree

:confused: 0.40 and 0.60 TT enhancers cost 0.30 after markup?

Tell me where you're buying them! :yay:

Unexpected protection

Imagine taking 20 damage from a mob that does 50%; Impact damage and 50% Acid damage.

You're wearing an armor that protects 10 Impact and no acid. You also have plates that protect 10 Impact and no acid.

You may expect the combination of your armor and plates gives you 20 Impact protection and 0 Acid protection. Thus you'd expect to protect against the 10 Impact but not the 10 Acid and so take a 10.0 dmg hit.

However, this is not how it works. The full damage is offered to both the plates and the armor. So the armor absorbs 10 Impact from the attack. The plates also absorb 10 Impact from the attack. These are added together and the result is that you have absorbed 20 damage from the attack. Thus, even though you have no acid protection, you take a 1.0 Hit.

This has caused some confusion in the past. There was a big debate about Kreltin and how they can't do acid damage. People would go up against them in Angel+5B (with no Acid protection) and yet still take 1.0 hits. This was the result of the phenomenom described above, Kreltin do actually do Acid damage.

As discussed elsewhere on the forum, this part is no longer correct. Protection is now based purely on the total of armour and plate in each damage type. So in the example above you would receive 10 damage and absorb 10 damage.

I'm not sure yet how this affects decay, i.e. whether in this example only the armour would decay, or only the plate would decay, or both. It should be fairly easy to work it out, at least partially, by testing with a high protecting armour & plate combination against a low damage mob (say, Shadow+5b vs Berycled Puny, though it shouldn't need to be as extreme as that).

As discussed elsewhere on the forum, this part is no longer correct. Protection is now based purely on the total of armour and plate in each damage type. So in the example above you would receive 10 damage and absorb 10 damage.

I'm not sure yet how this affects decay, i.e. whether in this example only the armour would decay, or only the plate would decay, or both. It should be fairly easy to work it out, at least partially, by testing with a high protecting armour & plate combination against a low damage mob (say, Shadow+5b vs Berycled Puny, though it shouldn't need to be as extreme as that).

this is interesting oleg, is this true for sure now?
have you done any testing on occeslum damage?

You can still overprotect if you have the same types of protection on plates and armor. For example, if your plate protects 10 impact and your armor protects 10 impact, and a mob hits your for 12 points impact damage, both the plate and the armor piece hit will absorb 10 impact damage and decay accordingly (total of 20 damage absorbed), but that extra protection won't work across damage types now, so you no longer get unexpected protection. Armor and plates will only protect the types and amounts of damage they are designed for. So it's actually easier to overprotect now for mobs that do multiple damage types.

None of the armor tools currently use the new system when they give their predictions, so keep that in mind. The most foolproof strategy (although difficult to implement) to avoid overprotecting now is to use single-type armors and plates. For example, a 100% impact plate and a 100% cut armor on a mob that does I/C would never have overprotection. Unfortunately, there are limited options for single-type plates and armors.

You can still overprotect if you have the same types of protection on plates and armor.

Are you 100% sure about this? I have not tested but in some recent situations where I know I was "overprotected" it feels like my plates weren't decaying much...

For example, if your plate protects 10 impact and your armor protects 10 impact, and a mob hits your for 12 points impact damage, both the plate and the armor piece hit will absorb 10 impact damage and decay accordingly (total of 20 damage absorbed)

I assume you've tested this but haven't seen you post about it previously. Have you also tested on mobs that don't use all the protection? E.g. if we change your example above so the mob hits for 5 impact damage, what happens?

What I wrote above is certainly true. I've never tested Osseos.

I'm afraid my source is lost in the mist of time... er mind. I felt it was a reliable source that had tested but i can't remember whom.

I'll test this soon. Sorry to be one of those "some guy said" sources.

ETA if it turns out that armor/plate overprotection doesn't happen anymore, i will definitely be wearing more armor than i have in the recent past...

got question does armor decay goes into your loot pool ,or is it just extra decay

I'm afraid my source is lost in the mist of time... er mind. I felt it was a reliable source that had tested but i can't remember whom.

I'll test this soon. Sorry to be one of those "some guy said" sources.

ETA if it turns out that armor/plate overprotection doesn't happen anymore, i will definitely be wearing more armor than i have in the recent past...

Relevant threads include:
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...amage-absorption-on-armor-and-plates-after-VU

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...51-Increased-damage-from-mobs-after-latest-VU

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...nge-the-way-armor-works&highlight=overprotect

Are you 100% sure about this? I have not tested but in some recent situations where I know I was "overprotected" it feels like my plates weren't decaying much...

Right, so based on 008's test in the first link there (he's the one i'd heard it from, too), overprotection is still a potential problem. What is no longer possible is "unexpected protection" where you can block all the damage from (for example) an acid+impact mob by only wearing high impact plates and armor.

So that validates what I have concluded is the ideal armor setup now: armor and plates protect for completely different damage types, both of which the mobs do. That way it's impossible to overprotect.

We need more specialized, high protection plates to really implement this strategy with most mobs.

We need more specialized, high protection plates to really implement this strategy with most mobs.

That seems to be the strategy behind the design of most of the Pulsar plates, though it depends on your definition of "high".

So now we're paying for protection that we're not getting. That is not fair and should be changed.

So now we're paying for protection that we're not getting. That is not fair and should be changed.

We still don't know that. In 008's thread he says he's only "guessing" that this is the case. I still haven't seen, or done, a good test of how the decay is applied now.

subscribing.

Back