Skill Scanner

thanks oz & gandalf for the info.

so, my app receives from the clipboard the whole image from both displays and, as you said, i have to look for the skills window in a huge desktop area, even when working in full-screen mode.

carebear pointed out to use <Alt>+<PrntScrn> when in windowed mode; this should put in the clipboard only the active window (and this is what everybody should use when in windowed mode, btw), but it won't work in full-screen mode (well, it will work, but slowly, obviously).

@sledge: yes, using windows native code would have many benefits, but i'll try to stay away from that approach, if possible. i think that having a 100% java approach offers many advantages (specially form the security point of view).

for instance, people have suggested why not using a "hotkey" different than PrintScrn to activate the scanning?. well, the answer is that it is not possible. in java, i cannot register a system-wide hotkey (and therefore, i could not possibly implement a keylogger, which is a good thing, don't you think so?).

so, my app. simply listens in the clipboard for image-type objects, and you can activate it with PrntScrn, Alt-PrntScrn, or even Ctrl-C (if you have screenshots in BMP files, you can open them with an imaging-processing application and hit Ctrl-C to activate the scanning app.).

carebear pointed out to use <Alt>+<PrntScrn> when in windowed mode; this should put in the clipboard only the active window (and this is what everybody should use when in windowed mode, btw), but it won't work in full-screen mode (well, it will work, but slowly, obviously).

I can confirm this method is working. I am down to approx 6 secs.

I can confirm this method is working. I am down to approx 6 secs.

you mean using Alt-PrntScrn when in windowed-mode or using Alt-PrintScrn when in full-screen mode?

i assumed from the beginning that everybody using windowed-mode would be aware of the Alt+PrntScrn feature (and i included in the howto instructions, although maybe too subtly), but it's always good to send a small reminder... :)

I mean it works a hell faster with Alt-PrntScrn in window mode... Sorry for bringing there some confusion :)

that's ok... i've changed a little bit the "howto" to put some more emphasis in the Alt+PrntScrn feature.

on a different topic, i've been told of an issue with copy-paste interfering with other windows apps.
i have identified the issue and i believe it is solved now; it will be released on the next version.
just wanted you to be aware of the issue, in case you see some strange behavior in the copy-paste while using the skill scanner.

Awesome tool!
++rep

just used the tool in windowed mode and it worked like a champ i didnt notice anything wrong in the skill listings but i will admit that i didnt look that close. great work and thanks for the awsome tools

Can you make a switch on the application to turn no/off the sounds?

Another useful feature will be to introduce a new tab professions scanning too. It will help when updating engropedia.info with skill and professions lvls.
All informations to be exported in the same file.

That's all the feed-back from me so far. Nice work you did on the application.

Sitram

This works great! I had no problems what so ever! + rep!!

This thread sure deserve another free bump.

Processing in windowed mode takes 1,4-1,5 seconds for me.:yay:

Yea it really rocks this app :yay: Love it!

No errors so far for me.. but i had problems when i did´t have the original font in windows.. but that is changed now and it works awsome...

TY for this.. and the chipping optimizer aswell

// Suliman

Btw... If I move the skill window near the top-left most corner of the screen, the skill scanner works MUCH faster. ;)

But... Since I re-installed it on my new computer, the Skill Scanner crashes every time I start EU. :(

Actually I think the Skill scanner process is still running nicely, but the GUI seems to break somehow, once I've been in EU.
The window frame is painted ok, but the content is never repainted.

Last edited:
sorry, but can u put a direct link up for the correct java update please? i can't seem to find it.

But... Since I re-installed it on my new computer, the Skill Scanner crashes every time I start EU. :(

Actually I think the Skill scanner process is still running nicely, but the GUI seems to break somehow, once I've been in EU.

this problem was reported by other people several pages ago in this thread, and it was determined to be a problem with java itself, not with the skill scanner application.

it looks like it is related to certain incompatibilities between certain graphic cards, directX, anti-aliasing and Java 2D API.

i think that turning off anti-aliasing seemed to solve the problem, but not sure about that.

this problem was reported by other people several pages ago in this thread, and it was determined to be a problem with java itself, not with the skill scanner application.

it looks like it is related to certain incompatibilities between certain graphic cards, directX, anti-aliasing and Java 2D API.

i think that turning off anti-aliasing seemed to solve the problem, but not sure about that.
Oh ok... I'll try that. Thx.

EDIT: Yeah, that worked. :yay:

Still works perfectly after new gfx. card!
Suggestion:
I'd like to skip the selecting of folder and typing of filename when saving to CSV file. Automatic filename generation would be very convenient :) Meaning no file-choser popup at all when you click Export to CSV.

Must spread some rep... :)

Btw... If I move the skill window near the top-left most corner of the screen, the skill scanner works MUCH faster. ;)
Ehm... Position seems to have nothing to do with the increased speed.
Must be my new computer that's much faster. :ahh:

Jdegre solves this problem too :yay:

Suppose a new version will be up soon. :cool:

Ehm... Position seems to have nothing to do with the increased speed.
Must be my new computer that's much faster. :ahh:

Jdegre solves this problem too :yay:

Suppose a new version will be up soon. :cool:

i have uploaded version 0.06; it includes:
- much shorter startup time
- skills window detection is now faster (specially for high-res displays)
- fixed some bugs related to copy&paste interfering with other apps.
- fixed the problem related to Java, Directx and anti-aliasing; as discussed earlier, the problem is related to Java itself, not the application, but there is a workaround that apparently solves the problem

cheers,
/jdegre.

i have uploaded version 0.06; it includes:
- much shorter startup time
- skills window detection is now faster (specially for high-res displays)
- fixed some bugs related to copy&paste interfering with other apps.
- fixed the problem related to Java, Directx and anti-aliasing; as discussed earlier, the problem is related to Java itself, not the application, but there is a workaround that apparently solves the problem

cheers,
/jdegre.

:woot:

+rep again! :yay:

Thank you for such an effective, easy-to-use and quick skill tool. Very, very good! No problems encountered with this tool. I recommended it to any players who would like to know or need to know the total value of their character's skills.

I just tested this with my character, and all the values were correct. I was impressed that it could also determine the partial, decimal values of the skills.

Excellent job!... and it just might be the new standard for the screenshot-skill-grab-programs.

thx stargazer.

actually, getting the decimal values was very easy, at least compared with the parsing of numbers, which has been a real nightmare.

and that's the reason for releasing a beta version. i'd like to remind people about this beta status, and that it would be great if people took the time to double check the skill values, and report any mismatch (together with screenshots).

also, i need screenshots from people with high-level unlockables, because the program only works detecting known bitmap patterns, so it would not work with the skill "doctor", for instance, because i have never seen a screenshot with that skill.

/jdegre.

PS.: just noticed the sticky status... w00t :wtg: (thx jimmy)

also, i need screenshots from people with high-level unlockables, because the program only works detecting known bitmap patterns, so it would not work with the skill "doctor", for instance, because i have never seen a screenshot with that skill.
I have Marksmanship ;)

I have Marksmanship ;)

hehe, i bet you have chipped really hard to get that one!... damn rich noobs :laugh:

ok, here's the list of skills i'm missing:
- Intuition
- Doctor
- Medical Therapy
- Robotology
- Scientist
- Drilling Expertise
- Miner
- Equipment Methodology
- Industrialist
- Manufacturing Methodology
- Coloring Methodology
- Glamour
- Beauty Sense
- Quality Sense
- Mindforce Harmony
- Force Merge

if you have (or know someone who has) any of those, please drop me a PM.

cheers,
/jdegre.

I downloaded and tried your Skills Scanner V0.06 today.

I use WinXP and it work very well for me in fullscreen.

The Skills Scanner is fast and very easy to use.
All you need to do is to run the app and take Screenshots of your Skills and all is done. It worked very well at the very first time here.

It also give the TT and Market Value of the Skills. ;)
Not that I feel the need to Chip-out, but it's cool to see how my Avatar worth.

I did not verified if the Skills count was exact but I will do it one of these days. But until this day, I will trust it like that.

I will use it as long as it will work. I hope it will last forever and you will be able to fix it if MA change the Skills board again.
I like to know my Total Skills count and with your tool it's very easy.

:thumbup: Thanx a lot for the great tool. :thumbup:
+Rep.​

I will use it as long as it will work. I hope it will last forever and you will be able to fix it if MA change the Skills board again.

thx for the nice words bernz.
of course, i'll try to keep the program updated if MA changes the skills window again, although after every change it gets harder and harder to parse, but honestly i don't think it can get much harder than it is now: anti-aliased fonts, translucent background, progress bars interleaved with the skill values... geez, it looks like they do it on purpose to make it impossible to parse! :laugh:

I tested it and didn't find any glitches until now. Many thanks for your efforts, they make my life in EU much easier. Will it be possible to add skill vs. TT calculator function directly into your program? Using webpages is one thing but having such a nice tool always at hand is even better.

Have been noticing some anomalies lately. Couple of weeks ago, I got some 42k skills result. Yesterday it told me I have 40k skills, and today it says 37k.
I seem to be unskilling ;)
Turns out it misses some digits. For example I have 4506.83 in LWT, but scanner says 456.83 (misses the zero)...

...For example I have 4506.83 in LWT, but scanner says 456.83 (misses the zero)...
Just a thought for you Jdegre...

Maybe you could parse the rank as well as the number, to automatically detect parsing errors?
Then if the number and rank doesn't match, you can save the screenie and pop-up an error message asking the user to post the image here.
Then you should quickly have the necessary data to fix those last parsing errors I think.

Well... A lot of extra work to parse the ranks too I know, just a thought. ;)

Last edited:
Have been noticing some anomalies lately. Couple of weeks ago, I got some 42k skills result. Yesterday it told me I have 40k skills, and today it says 37k.
I seem to be unskilling ;)
Turns out it misses some digits. For example I have 4506.83 in LWT, but scanner says 456.83 (misses the zero)...

waperboy,
that's a typical parsing error i noticed during the tests and usually the fix is very very easy, but i need screenshots (in BMP), otherwise there is not much i can do.
could you please send me the screenshots where you detected errors to my email address (jdegre at gmail dot com) ?

@vedder: yeah, that's a good idea to detect errors, i'll see if i can include it without too much effort...

Last edited:
Back