'Out of range' gun flashing

Java JC

Alpha
Society
Freelancer
Java JC Cambridge
Last week I mentioned in another thread that I'd noticed that my gun 'flashes' if I try to shoot something out of range, and a number of people said that they had never noticed it happening, so I decided to attempt to capture it in screenshots.

It doesn't happen all the time, in fact, the place it always (only?) happens is at CP. I get the effect both with my marber and my MkII (not sure if it happens with my pistol too, but it's easier to see on the longer weapons).

The screenshots below are not shown in the order I took them, because it happens too quickly for the screen capture, but I have put them in an appropriate order to show the effect - you'll need to open all 5 images then flick through them (easier if you use a tabbed browser).

The 'flash' moves from the end of the barrel to the butt of the gun, and the last 3 images show it the best:

Has anyone else noticed this? More interestingly, has anyone else seen it happen anywhere else than on CP?

JC

great work +rep... i think it only works with the scope perhaps, because i saw the scope light up...

After reading your previous post on this subject, I've tried several times to catch that "flash" effect but always without success... I wasn't in CP and now that you say that it might be the only place where it happens, I think I'm gonna fly tonight...

Anyway, I saw these last screenies of yours (in "fast slide-show mode") and could in fact notice something.

*buying flight ticket to CP* or *buying new gfx card*

Thanks for the hint !

great work +rep... i think it only works with the scope perhaps, because i saw the scope light up...

The flash is most obvious on the scope, but it does travel along the whole of the weapon.

Also, my gfx card and my pc is not top of the range, so others should be able to see it too.

JC
P.s. I really, really want someone else to see this effect or I'll think i'm going mad!

I can confirm mine flashes over when out of range. It's too subtle to be overly useful and, to be honest, you need something that tells you that before you make the shot lol!

I think I read a post about it and it only happens in first person view...don't know about this whole out of range thingy

dont you think the flash comes from the gun recoil , and therefor the diffrent light situation?
i mean everytime you shoot the gun is moveing back a bit and then back ... and because of this dynamic light it might looks like the gun is flashing .

dont you think the flash comes from the gun recoil , and therefor the diffrent light situation?
i mean everytime you shoot the gun is moveing back a bit and then back ... and because of this dynamic light it might looks like the gun is flashing .

its not from recoil. in that last pic, the gun recoils but in that whole series, it starts off as a flash, and then the light "lowers".

I promised myself I would answer you Java JC (better late than never), and as AB said, I also can confirm it flashes :yay:
... but I wanted it to flash before I shoot :duh:

I promised myself I would answer you Java JC (better late than never), and as AB said, I also can confirm it flashes :yay:
... but I wanted it to flash before I shoot :duh:

There is one time that I find it a useful feature....

Let's say I want to tag an Aurli soldier that is in the distance....but not a krelt alpha that is nearer to me (bear with me, this is a common occurence for me...those damn alphas always end up circling me :laugh:). If I used the right click to get to the correct distance, it could put me in 'alpha zone', so instead I edge forward and shoot with my marber. Now, I have a HA of only around 3 with the marber, so I use the 'flash' to determine if I missed cos I'm out of range, or if I missed because I'm crap :rolleyes:

Mind you, I'm not sure why I bother, because i can guarantee that no sooner do I tag the soldier, that the alpha will prick up his ears (or whatever kreltins have) and waddle over to gob on me.

JC

Back