Strongbox announcement

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher
[h=3]Strongbox announcement[/h]On the first of January 2019 a new Swedish law which affects lootbox systems that is used in many computer, mobile, and console games will go into effect. MindArk’s legal representatives has advised us on this new law and therefore we need to take the necessary steps outlined below to comply with this new regulation.

The consequences of the new law will be that users located in Sweden (or with a Swedish IP) will no longer be allowed to purchase Strongboxes or Strongbox keys in the Entropia Universe Webshop from this date. It will still be possible for anyone in Entropia Universe to find boxes within Entropia Universe, but users located in Sweden (or with a Swedish IP) will not be able to open them unless they have Strongbox Keys acquired prior to January 1, 2019. Strongbox Keys acquired prior to January 1, 2019 will continue to function even for users in Sweden, but they will not be able to purchase new Strongbox Keys from this date.

If you do not reside in Sweden or use a Swedish IP Strongboxes and Strongbox Keys will continue to work like previously, this change only affect users in Sweden or with a Swedish IP.

Originally Posted Here

Would be nice if you scrap the strongboxes altogether and make pills and stuff craftable.

Bra skit. So how will we be able to loot rings?

Bra skit. So how will we be able to loot rings?

you wont be able to do it yourself. but options are a VPN to bypass the swedish ip (and i doubt that MA has very good mechanisms in place to prevent using a vpn)
or you could use a box opening service. or just save yourself from the ped loss from opening boxes and just buy the stuff you want. comes you cheaper in the end.

Strongbox announcement

On the first of January 2019 a new Swedish law which affects lootbox systems that is used in many computer, mobile, and console games will go into effect.
Originally Posted Here

I THink MA's legal person has screwed up. The swedish law probably only cares about the monetary differences between loot boxes. There is no monetary difference between MAs loot boxes. TT in, is the same as tt out.

Rgds
Ace

dont forget that a vast majority of the player base are old fucks (no offense) so they might not be able to do it or are afraid of it.

"That's not how this works! That's not how any of this works!"

dont forget that a vast majority of the player base are old fucks (no offense) so they might not be able to do it or are afraid of it.

wtf is an vpn ? ..yeh..im an old fuck:p

wasnt it belgium who also banned loot boxes? so why not exclude them as well? wasnt there another EU country who banned them too?

Strongbox opening services will flourish :)

I THink MA's legal person has screwed up. The swedish law probably only cares about the monetary differences between loot boxes. There is no monetary difference between MAs loot boxes. TT in, is the same as tt out.

Rgds
Ace

That is true, but Entropias RCE in itself I think has always been at risk of being considered gambling. Now that loot boxes are under investigations in some countries I think this is a move of precaution by MA.

Even if it is no monetary difference, I think many can agree on the moral subject that Entropias loot boxes are gambling and there are probably some addicts that deposit just to open those boxes, just as a scratch ticket keeps buying tickets to try and win the jackpot.

Hopefully MA will come to the same conclusion for explosive projectiles since that is in my opinion just pure slot machine gambling disguised as crafting.

Would you be allowed to sell special universal ammo in the webshop, that could only be used in a special TT gun, that is used to hunt a special small mob that just so happens by some crazy coincidence to drops keys that are not tradable? laughing.

Not a fan of boxes myself, but there's got to be some third party backdoor there somewhere.

Rick

Even if it is no monetary difference, I think many can agree on the moral subject that Entropias loot boxes are gambling and there are probably some addicts that deposit just to open those boxes, just as a scratch ticket keeps buying tickets to try and win the jackpot.

I agree with Ace, the lack of monetary difference is exactly what makes it not gambling. I buy the boxes as my form of depo, expecting to get roughly my depo worth of UA, plus a lot of useful pills. If I happen to loot a ring or something, it's a bonus. I would agree with you if you didn't get your money's worth. Your logic that some people log in just to do that could apply to anything in the game. Some people log in just to craft EP IV. Some people log in just to drop L13 amps. If you are going to apply morals to one you have to flag the whole game as a moral issue.

Hopefully MA will come to the same conclusion for explosive projectiles since that is in my opinion just pure slot machine gambling disguised as crafting.

Unlikely since those gamblers are spending a fortune. I'm pretty sure MA will fight to keep that till the bitter end.

Would be interested in seeing link showing this new law.

Also I thought this law only were for companies who didn't have permission from Lotteriinspektionen in sweden.

Also strongboxes give at least last time I tried them couple years ago over 85% TT return on ammo the rest pills, pets and possibly rings. How is that gambling? If it is considered gambling then all proffessions in-game should too by that logic don't you think?

I would get it if you had a chance to not get anything at all. But you always get something back and major portion of what you spent.

If you ask me MA are just being overly cautious. To not get the attention of lotteriinspektionen. :ahh:

Sounds like they are being cautious, but this is a bad sign IMO. This idea is spreading and is a bad precedent for EU players (certain countries can't access/do certain things) That gets really tricky. Maybe this is all that will happen and this is far as it will go, but it has a bad smell to me.
My other thought is - if it's not "good" for those in Sweden, why is it OK for the rest of us?
I don't really think it's gambling, but when you compare it to scratch off tickets it's pretty similar. You are never going to get more than 10 ped TT, but can get an item that other people place value on.
Very odd indeed.

to be fair, opening boxes it not different from crafting, mining or hunting. and all 4 of them are gambling.

No, man, it's super easy even for old fucks.

Sounds like they are being cautious, but this is a bad sign IMO. This idea is spreading and is a bad precedent for EU players (certain countries can't access/do certain things) That gets really tricky. Maybe this is all that will happen and this is far as it will go, but it has a bad smell to me.
My other thought is - if it's not "good" for those in Sweden, why is it OK for the rest of us?
I don't really think it's gambling, but when you compare it to scratch off tickets it's pretty similar. You are never going to get more than 10 ped TT, but can get an item that other people place value on.
Very odd indeed.
This is my biggest fear. What if suddenly lotteriinspektionen considers EU as gambling and thus no Swedish players will be able to play anymore.

This is my biggest fear. What if suddenly lotteriinspektionen considers EU as gambling and thus no Swedish players will be able to play anymore.

Again, VPN. It's pretty basic. There's nothing to see here, move on.

If people in 3rd world countries with backwards censorship laws can do it, so can you.

If you can buy them using vpn service ,then there is no problem :yup:

MindArk’s legal representatives has advised us on this new law

Why go to all that trouble when you could have just asked the experts on the forum who obviously know the intricacies of the law much better than qualified professional lawyers?

Again, VPN. It's pretty basic. There's nothing to see here, move on.

If people in 3rd world countries with backwards censorship laws can do it, so can you.

What makes you so certain that it will be possible? MA may bring the banhammer to enforce the law. Also it's illegal to do that to bypass a law. MA may need to report you to the police authorities etc. I'd rather not take that risk.

Reactions: das
Why go to all that trouble when you could have just asked the experts on the forum who obviously know the intricacies of the law much better than qualified professional lawyers?

1) How do you know that some of the players here are not qualified lawyers?

2) How do you know MA's legal team isn't of the same quality as their programming team?

What makes you so certain that it will be possible? MA may bring the banhammer to enforce the law. Also it's illegal to do that to bypass a law. MA may need to report you to the police authorities etc. I'd rather not take that risk.

It's only illegal if you get caught.

It's only illegal if you get caught.

Ääääääh? No wonder the world looks like it does with that thinking.

Anyway,

Doubt Swedish players have to worries that we not gonna play this game in the future. If that happends then the game is DONE GAME OVER

OR

you could move Entropia outside of the EU jurisdiction:
- make a company abroad, and put ownership there
- sell your (Swedish) programming and development services to the abroad company...

Back