NI Status Clarified.

Hmmmmm....Next Island left abandoned, planet smashes ("merges") and becomes a huge island on Calypso :wtg::wtg::wtg: hehe

Hmmmmm....Next Island left abandoned, planet smashes ("merges") and becomes a huge island on Calypso :wtg::wtg::wtg: hehe

me like it, but we must place fence so all the monkeys don't invade the rest of Calypso.
or may be in the one side of Calypso make museum of failed planets and place all there :laugh:

What's the problem with NI?

NI hasn't got any updates for ages, but there's as good as no progress with other PP's either.

Ok, there's a problem with non-existent economy, the AU is as good as dead and there's lot of problems with BP's (poorly balanced, problems with availability of ingredients, etc). Result - u have to TT planet-specific/low-MU stuff and export the rest to Caly. Not good, i agree. Then again, isn't it the same on every new planet..?

In fact NI doesn't stand out as considerably worse--and this is a serious problem indeed!

Just go to NI today and look at this "long dead" planet--it still beats every other planet hands down with it's superior 3D design and artwork. A perfect holiday destination, and luckily there's no danger somebody will spoil all this untouched beauty with inadequate updates... like with the most acclaimed Ark where every new mob looks more and more like childish rubber toy :wtg:

why buy a moon if you can buy a planet? - me thinks..

why buy a moon if you can buy a planet? - me thinks..

Because you have to get your Dev team, with the moon you i belive its MA who is doing all that work or is it Caly dev team?:scratch2:

Yeah, and NI failure has 0 correlation with Neverdie, because he must be the best game developer available. :lolup: Both RT and NI have been poorly designed from the start (although with years RT is showing at least some minimal progress) and with huge delays and no decent content updates. On the other hand Arkadia - which has professional staff and experience - have done 100 times more and better than ND.

Your hardon for NEVERDIE isn't offering anything to this thread. NI failing has NOTHING to do with who designed the planet. NI failing has EVERYTHING to do with David Post dropping the ball because it was too much work for him. I'm getting so sick and tired of you fucking noobs mouthing off about NEVERDIE every god damn chance you get and for what??? Because you're fucking jeleaus of the guy! Polluting thread after thread after thread with your bullshit vendettas against a developer is just pointless. Each one of us who read your post had 15 seconds of our lives completely WASTED.

Grow the fuck up and offer something a little more worthwhile to the conversation... otherwise.... scram!

Menace

Just go to NI today and look at this "long dead" planet--it still beats every other planet hands down with it's superior 3D design and artwork. A perfect holiday destination, and luckily there's no danger somebody will spoil all this untouched beauty with inadequate updates... like with the most acclaimed Ark where every new mob looks more and more like childish rubber toy :wtg:

NI and RT artwork is NEVERDIE'S studios artwork...but like he said when RT and NI lunched PP couldn't develop the blueprints....(was MA job) ....was not a PP fault how much was MA fault......and I other big question why SEE gived back to MA the Calypso??? Or who are PP of Calypso now...the players(60000 CLD *100$=6000000$)!?!

Note:Read on MA website(www.mindark.com) at Planet Partners...is exactly the date when MA takes back Calypso...and then they sell to us :scratch2: :scratch2:

In my opinion, with both RT and NI, we have to deal primarily with management issues, and not development issues.

"A bad workman always blames his tools."

Last edited:
Your hardon for NEVERDIE isn't offering anything to this thread. NI failing has NOTHING to do with who designed the planet. NI failing has EVERYTHING to do with David Post dropping the ball because it was too much work for him. I'm getting so sick and tired of you fucking noobs mouthing off about NEVERDIE every god damn chance you get and for what??? Because you're fucking jeleaus of the guy! Polluting thread after thread after thread with your bullshit vendettas against a developer is just pointless. Each one of us who read your post had 15 seconds of our lives completely WASTED.

Grow the fuck up and offer something a little more worthwhile to the conversation... otherwise.... scram!

Menace

Ofc its Davids fault too, he was top ambitious amd maybe maive too. About ND im just looking at the facts that both Ni and Rt were very poorly designed at start and took them really a lot of time to actually start offering something.

A Planet Partner does need to bring in and keep new players to be considered successful however don't overlook the value that well-run alternatives to Calypso contribute to the universe overall.

Particularly for longer term players there is great benefit to providing them new environments to explore and experiences to participate in even if they treat it as more of a holiday before returning to their preferred planet.

After all an existing player may well generate some revenue for MindArk however that revenue may not be a whole lot if all they do is sit around and chat (or not login at all) due to disinterest in or disillusionment with Calypso.

An active planet, even if using mostly existing players, also creates business opportunities in the areas of transport and space activity which, in turn, effectively justifies the cost to develop and maintain space.

My concerns about the PP idea are/were:

(i) Would it really add diversity to gameplay, or would all the man-hours that get put into it just result in some different looking environments to play the same game in?

I felt basically that it sounded a bit like a glorifed level-designer. I remember enjoying custom-made maps/games designed by 3rd parties when playing Civilization back in the day. It was fun for a while, but essentially I was playing them because I was getting bored with the gameplay. And since they didn't add anything fundamental to the gameplay I quickly tired of the them too.

So far I haven't really seen much that has really added to the gameplay. Sure, treasure hunting is nice, but it's still mining. And competition between planets has maybe improved and diversified official events. And stuff like instances, vehicles, boss mobs, etc, are all nice additions that may have been influenced by PP's ideas. But none of that is particularly ground-breaking stuff, and you'd hope if MA had not gone down the PP route they'd have come up with new content like that themselves.

---

(ii) Would it result in the feel and atmosphere of the game losing cohesion?

I know we're supposed to see each planet as a separate game, with a separate story. I try to, but ultimately all I see is a big mess. What's worse, is even Calypso has been affected with items flooding in from other planets that don't fit in with Calypso's background, the Calypso map getting a horrible square-grid layout, previously nicely designed cities turning into places built from drag-and-drop blocks, etc.

In truth it all makes me wish I'd spent more time playing Eve.

---

(iii) Would PP's really be able to attract players who wouldn't have otherwise joined?

I don't have the figures, but I just don't see how they can do. So far the only Planet that seems to have had a moderate amount of success is Arkadia and I really struggle to see how that appeals to a different market to Calypso.

---

I know it's too late to go down another road now, so I do hope the PPs succeed in the end. But I do feel the only way that can be said to have happened is when they start bringing in a substantial new market. For all the alternate environments and holidays they may offer existing players, I think existing players would have been better served by the universe being developed on one coherent front. We could still have had Space, and planets (Akbal-Cimi anyone?) and holiday destinations (like CND/CP are/used to be).

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox; what is, is. Not really disagreeing with what you said.

Last edited:
NI hasn't got any updates for ages, but there's as good as no progress with other PP's either.

Ok, there's a problem with non-existent economy, the AU is as good as dead and there's lot of problems with BP's (poorly balanced, problems with availability of ingredients, etc). Result - u have to TT planet-specific/low-MU stuff and export the rest to Caly. Not good, i agree. Then again, isn't it the same on every new planet..?

In fact NI doesn't stand out as considerably worse--and this is a serious problem indeed!

I've visited NI last month more than once. It's not as dead as it was before, in fact, it's a little bit more alive. There are orders up on auction there, and there's at least 2-3 people at each TP. I think that's an improvement compared to how it was before.

What bothers me the most about NI is that all information lately from an official source is posted on a private facebook page for which only a small number of people have access. I tried the link ( https://www.facebook.com/david.post.585?fref=ts ) but it's still closed to me.

For the rest of us the only grain of information is like "oups someone hijacked my twitter account but now I'm back" (some year ago) - since that nothing.

This far I've been positive about NI, and I like the place and everything... but I definitely don't to be last in line when getting to know information from the last official/representative there is.

I think if he wants to keep the executive role over NI he should start to publish officially what he writes on his facebook page. If he wants to keep his thoughts to himself and his friends, then fine but then hand over the hat to someone who's willing to speak to the customers.

Last edited:
The obvious problem with Next Island was and is the lack of grinding missions. How the NI development team missed such an obvious way to make cash, when they had already done the hard work, is incredible.

On the wider issue that JimmyB brought up, I agree that from some angles the other planets are little more than land areas that take a long time to get to.

A possible problem with the other planets is that MA made us all "ubers" on them from day one. It would've made more sense to somehow cull a combination of our skills, HP and gear on the new planets. This would have made the new planets more of a challenge to existing players, and made new players think they weren't light-years behind the rest of us. Some gear could have been tied to specific planets (permanently or until e.g. Tier 3), some gear could have been made to be, e.g. 2%, more economical on its source planet, the HP of all players could have started from 88 on new planets, skills gained on other planets could have been halved on new planets, new players starting out on new planets could have a small skill bonus for the first three months, etc, etc. And imagine if the combination of the above had been marginally different for each planet...

A lot of us were expecting some kind of skill or gear "nerf" to appear on the new planets, and when this didn't happen I was quite surprised. Although this would have been extremely unpopular at the time, I think it would have made the game more appealing in the long run.

Have fun,

Forrest :)

Well they could have started with only low level mobs and bp's for the new players, this would have been boring enough for the older players and allowed new ones to get on with it and gradually catch Caly up.

Well they could have started with only low level mobs and bp's for the new players, this would have been boring enough for the older players and allowed new ones to get on with it and gradually catch Caly up.

Just a bug free well thought out and planned new user experience would have been a good start for alcon.

A possible problem with the other planets is that MA made us all "ubers" on them from day one. It would've made more sense to somehow cull a combination of our skills, HP and gear on the new planets.

I guess the issue with that is that for a newcomer wanting to start out, it would then make sense for anyone 'born' on Calypso to move immediately out to another planet it where they're more equal with everyone else. And lower level stuff also tends to be lower ped cycle stuff, so any existing players who decided to skill up the new professions would suddenly be cycling less PED.

But in principle, some way for new planets to focus initially on lower-level players without excluding or reducing the ped-cycle of existing players would definitely have been ideal. Can't think immediately of any simple solution though.

A possible problem with the other planets is that MA made us all "ubers" on them from day one. It would've made more sense to somehow cull a combination of our skills, HP and gear on the new planets.

Forrest :)

Isn't Ancient Greece like this a bit?

Which is precisely why they didn't do that. New PP's (rt, ark, ni) were all going after the calypso players rather than making any real effort in attracting and keeping new players.

Which is precisely why they didn't do that. New PP's (rt, ark, ni) were all going after the calypso players rather than making any real effort in attracting and keeping new players.

I have disciples(3) that they are born on RT....but beside me nobody check the New Harlem....some of them I give only free rides so they can go forward(and try to have another mentor...Total was 10 bewbies but others???)....but sometimes is even our fault "We Don't Act Social"....just I want to share how I saw an avatar in New Harlem trying to sell crude oil for 200% MU(40 barrels for hoverboard misson)...We are supposed to help newbies not to rob them from their first day...

Isn't Ancient Greece like this a bit?

At least right after the "mob rebalance VU" it hit the mobs in AG pretty hard. The Lvalue of some huge cyclopses were reduced by half, and other cyclopses could hit you with 80 dmg hits (which is pretty hard where you only have herb fap and the hoplite has lesser protection than Pixie). I think at least the latter cyclopses are fixed by now so they are somewhat more doable.

Before the mob rebalance, the huge cyclopses had respectable HP (taking about 20 ped to kill/each), but they didn't hit harder than you usually could manage with herb box fap.

..but sometimes is even our fault "We Don't Act Social"....

look back a few years and you'll find it was slightly different. Lots of us used to hang around the Camp Phoenix TP drawing in mobs for newbies to sweat and we would talk while waiting for the next load to turn up. It might only have been 10-12 snables but it was something that many of us used to do, there would often be 40-50 players of various levels in the area.

I think that's why I don't like the sweat camps, they destroyed one tiny part of the social structure of EU.

It's only my opinion but since risks in loot increased the socialization that we had between levels has decreased.

look back a few years and you'll find it was slightly different. Lots of us used to hang around the Camp Phoenix TP drawing in mobs for newbies to sweat and we would talk while waiting for the next load to turn up.

And now MA pretty much wants everyone off that server who doesn't *have* to be there.

Or, let's hope the server load problem was solved with the recent "server restart".

Back