WoF '08 ADVANCE NEWS/Info

Hurrikane

Slayer
Society
GloryHound Irregulars
Oscar Hurrikane SkyQuake
Hi, plans are now more or less done for
WoF '08.

This is of course the World of FirePower event, in which the whole world declares war on wildlife for glory and their flag.

With the success of last year still a vivid memory, many will be out to prove their mettle or correct mistakes made; and the USA will no doubt be more than keen to hold on to their title.

To prepare you all and help you work out how best to serve your countries, this is a short info thread to attach any rallying calls and verbal bantering before the start of proceedings (see below) on November 1st.

So, in brief;

Team Registration & Captaincy Elections:

These will start in the new WoF '08 SubForum (graciously provided by 711 and EF) on Nov 1st this year, and progress through to the first qualifiers in early February '08. The WoF should end around mid-June. Hunts will take place generally every other weekend throughout the tournament.

To Register your Country, just apply when the Registration thread is opened stating full avatar name and Country of Choice..

You will also be required to Vote for your preferred Captain.
All avatars who hunted for their countries last year get 3 Votes. All other applicants get 1.

The Main Controversial Change:

When Captains are decided, (Voting will end on Jan 1st) teams will be split into the Main Team of 12 (Selected by the Captain) and the Support Team. The Support team will have unlimited numbers.

Both the Main Team and Support Teams will be able to score points, although the Main Team will have a larger moblist and more points available.

This change is to reflect the need of the high-skilled players to defend their countries honour while keeping the WoF available to all who wish to try.

Support team members can of course fill places left in the Main Team should hunters have to drop out.

There will be no swapping or hiring between teams of different countries.

All countries wishing to participate should register between November 1st and Jan 1st; that's two whole months for those who feel they didn't get time to apply last year:).

Any attempts at telling me what team you want to represent before November 1st are NOT going to get noted; only proper replies in the Registration thread.

Other changes:

More points are available, with the Variety Boost now progressive, giving up to 50 points (for killing all 4 mobs on the Main Team Moblist) as opposed to 9 last year.

Maximum (Main Team)single mob score (without HoF) is now 10 instead of 8.

Maximum (Support Team)single mob score is 4, and 5 in later stages.

These changes also mean that the Main teams should expect some harder mobs all the way through the WoF than they did last year. No-one's gonna have to go for Daikiba's this time.

Hope this whets your appetites, see you all on Nov 1st.:)

BtW: If you need to know anything about the WoF and I'm not about, (RL improving but still not properly online) ask any member of the GloryHound Irregulars. What they don't know they can ask me:)

Hurrikane

Cool :cool:

i am so ready to kick some more ass! ;P good job hurrikane!!!

Bring it on...

Im a tailor, I have a bleacher & I'm not afraid to use it....

Bring it on....

Moonfish

Is great news to hear that WoF is getting ready to roll again. :)

One thing thats bothering me a little though is the unlimited number of people in a support team though. This heavily tips the scales in favour of USA for example, who I can easily see with a support team of well over 50, while smaller countries will be struggling to do so much as get a full team of 12...

One thing thats bothering me a little though is the unlimited number of people in a support team though. This heavily tips the scales in favour of USA for example, who I can easily see with a support team of well over 50, while smaller countries will be struggling to do so much as get a full team of 12...

We all saw last year how a team of lesser skills and equipment worried the other finalists with a valiant display of massed support; with the possibility that patriotism might inspire a team to win without having million-dollar avatars, this was something that could not be ignored. The scores will always put the main bulk of points towards the Main Team; but a good support team should be able to make a difference in a close match.
This was a decision reached after much thought and indeed mathematics; it shall work:) (last one went all right didn't it?)

Hurrikane

Last edited:
We all saw last year how a team of lesser skills and equipment worried the other finalists with a valiant display of massed support; with the possibility that patriotism might inspire a team to win without having million-dollar avatars could not be ignored. The scores will always put the main bulk of points towards the Main Team; but a good support team should be able to make a difference in a close match.
This was a decision reached after much thought and indeed mathematics; it shall work:) (last one went all right didn't it?)

Hurrikane

Last one went great :D

Can't wait for this new one unlimited support should make it interesting :D

Oh, another small change... wherever possible (due to many requests) Judges will now be Teamed....i.e two judges per match, each a non-scoring member of the Teams taking part.

...and Bump:)

Hurrikane

No worries, Cat..."support" knows no borders...;)

I am excited. The WOF is the best event I have ever participated in in PE...and MA did NOT make it.

I like that a WOF jacket made it to the Startup screen.:D

W00t!

Woo, cool. I'm in for sure.

When Captains are decided, (Voting will end on Jan 1st) teams will be split into the Main Team of 12 (Selected by the Captain) and the Support Team. The Support team will have unlimited numbers.

Thats the best part... i dont whant to coment why :censored:

Oh, another small change... wherever possible (due to many requests) Judges will now be Teamed....i.e two judges per match, each a non-scoring member of the Teams taking part.

Hurrikane

So...embedded judges? Nice...we wanted that before, though i *hope* everyone was above-board.

With embedded judges, potentail abuses like 49% damage from support teams will be less likely.

Random blood tests for Chipping? ;)

Woot this noob will me applying for a place in the Aussie team :yay:

Count Me In !!

team Poland

So...embedded judges? Nice...we wanted that before, though i *hope* everyone was above-board.

???

I was a judge for many of the matches along with Hurrikane, Chopper, Major Putty, Jamira etc etc.

What are you implying here Frigid??

As far as I was aware all the judging was "above-board". The judges all stood around sacrificing hunting and IRL time to write down on bits of paper the WoF team globals that came up in chat. You think something was not "above-board" ??

looking forward to the new year:yay:

???

I was a judge for many of the matches along with Hurrikane, Chopper, Major Putty, Jamira etc etc.

What are you implying here Frigid??

As far as I was aware all the judging was "above-board". The judges all stood around sacrificing hunting and IRL time to write down on bits of paper the WoF team globals that came up in chat. You think something was not "above-board" ??

I know for a FACT that you are biased towards the Boks...go ahead! Call me a LIAR!!! :laugh:

I have now created a new subforum in the Events main forum for the WoF 2008, and moved this thread there.

Also, the WoF 2007 forum has been relocated as a subforum to this one, and has been closed to new posts to avoid confusion.

Hurrikane, as organizer of this event, has been been given moderator permissions of these two forums, to aid in the organization of the WoF here on EntropiaForum.

EntropiaForum looks forward to once again sponsoring this exciting event by offering prizes, free ads in the EF Adspace system, and support of Hurrikane it making it a roaring success!

Best of luck to all the national teams!

:wtg:

The Main Controversial Change:

Looking from outside is good, but if u look from inside of it I don't think so, 12 ppl in main team and Unlimited number in Support team will make servers crash every few minutes, that will not be fun, will be hell, hope MA will do something about this else will be a total disaster in my eyes.
Maybe u can make some tests, 2 teams , 24 ppl hunting in the same area... u'll see what I'm talking about.

As last year, I wish to re-open the Team of Amethera :D

Hurrikane

wait, that means the actual team gets less or... =)

P.S. Marco, would You or anyone else dealing with such matters, start thinking about extra prizes already, please? maybe, just maybe, it isn't such a bad idea to come up with something more useful than clothes this time? also, it might be nice from MA's side to throw in some random candy(s), I mean not for the winners.

J.

Last edited:
Errm unlimited support doesn't sound good.

Picture Main team and support of Sweden at hogglos :laugh:

Something among the lines of 4-5 main/match and like 3 for 1 support (i.e. 12-15) should be enough. And even that would crash :D

Errm unlimited support doesn't sound good.

Picture Main team and support of Sweden at hogglos :laugh:

Something among the lines of 4-5 main/match and like 3 for 1 support (i.e. 12-15) should be enough. And even that would crash :D

Amen it will! =)

J.

I'd love to be involved this year but a quick question...

I consider myself English and live in England but I am 1/4 Scottish. Can I apply to both to try and get in a team or do I just pick one from the outset? :laugh:

I consider myself English and live in England but I am 1/4 Scottish. Can I apply to both to try and get in a team or do I just pick one from the outset? :laugh:

pick the team which pays you most? =)

J.

Nadie if you're 3/4 English then we want you in with the England squad!

Also, how can anyone from England even think about representing Scotland at anything? :eek: ;)

pick the team which pays you most? =)

J.

Oh I like that idea... all offers will be considered :laugh:

Also, how can anyone from England even think about representing Scotland at anything? :eek: ;)

Oops erm um er yes well I guess EU does come under things like football and rugby and I know who I support then :D

This is the best news I'm going get on a wet wednesday :wtg:
It can't come soon enough me

After discussion of "Teamed Judges"...

wait, that means the actual team gets less or... =)

J.

No, Lugz... Judges will not be getting any kind of Share of loot...

What happens back at base during a WoF is that you see 2 or 3 Judges waiting, and behind the scenes they are frantically writing down details of the Globals scored by the team they are judging, as where possible a judge is assigned to each team.

We realised too late that it would be very useful, and very cool, if your team's judge got the Swirlies too... No chance of a global being missed, keeps us all awake, and chance for some good screenies...

Also, importantly, we also then have team-chat.. minor points of Rules and other discussion is made much simpler, with less need for pm windows....

"80 ped Formidon Young, Chop.. Get that?"

"How could I miss it, Lugz.. 8 points :)"
Hope that helps..

Last edited:
thanks, Chop! =)

I was just thinking that there's a max limit of 12 team members allowed ingame and adding judge to it makes -1 to actual team.

J.

Back