unlocking certain skills.

Please don't use pro standings in this respect, there are only 3 shown,
and usually they are little bit random like (HotShot Pistolero,
HardAss SneezeGunner, Stupendous BeanSlinger), and the same
with crafters/tailorers/miners. Also, profiles of players vary a lot,
especially when so many chipped folks run wild around.

So, more research is needed.

KapokWu said:
Please don't use pro standings in this respect, there are only 3 shown,
and usually they are little bit random like (HotShot Pistolero,
HardAss SneezeGunner, Stupendous BeanSlinger), and the same
with crafters/tailorers/miners. Also, profiles of players vary a lot,
especially when so many chipped folks run wild around.

So, more research is needed.

its easy to calculate your prostanding. just count up the skills in that category you get when doing the action responsible, and dont count general skills, abilities skills. then devide by the number of skills you counted up, and you get the average. check the skillrankslist on ef here to see what standing that is

Pretender said:
its easy to calculate your prostanding. just count up the skills in that category you get when doing the action responsible
But what about hidden skills like marksmanship for example ?
If you count that too - then after unlocking hidden skill - you should get lower pro standing...
I think its not that easy to calculate pro standing - there is something more.

Thug Life said:
Animal taming > just need to buy a pets ,-)
or buy a whip :) then unlocks on first go

Pretender said:
its easy to calculate your prostanding. just count up the skills in that category you get when doing the action responsible, and dont count general skills, abilities skills. then devide by the number of skills you counted up, and you get the average. check the skillrankslist on ef here to see what standing that is

That won't quite work. Some skills weigh more in the equation than others i.e. rifle skill gets far more weight in your prostanding than for example blp, laser and plasma tech. I have about 6k blp and only 400+ in plasma, but the prostanding only differs 2 ranks between the 2. According to you i should divide the 5k difference by the number of rifle related skills but that would make the gap between them considerably larger than just 2 ranks, so it doesn't work like that. All skills have their own weight in the formula, one being more important than the other.

quick and easy pro standing calc :D (combat only i think)

look at ur hit ability, mine is 3.2 (looking at a laser pistol)

multiply by 1000 = 3200
3200-3399 Inspiring

and yes, thats my prostanding
inspiring laser pistoleer

ok, so its a bit of a crude method, but kinda works

ps +rep to my soc buddy who taught me this:))

Lighterthief said:
quick and easy pro standing calc :D (combat only i think)

look at ur hit ability, mine is 3.2 (looking at a laser pistol)

multiply by 1000 = 3200

and yes, thats my prostanding
inspiring laser pistoleer

ok, so its a bit of a crude method, but kinda works

ps +rep to my soc buddy who taught me this:))

but...how about opalo? xD and limited items?

new skill in Miners section (afaik not a joke) "Miner"

Since sarah has now unlocked black I wounder is we could press her for some info on when the coulering skills are unlocked ?

A small suggestion

Hi Pretender,
I've been watching this thread multiple times, and every time I do almost the same thing: after reading a bit, I go to search for the Skill-ranks post by Shadow-Ale.

Now what I'm suggesting you would for sure be comfortable for me, but maybe for others too: can you please add a direct link to your OP to that thread?!

Thank you,
Paolo

P.S.: just while writing, it came to my mind that by posting this I'm already adding the link, so you can also skip this post or treat it like a free and verbose bump :p

EDIT: ok, my fault! I've scrolled down a bit of the OP and found that thread's contents easily posted... feel free to ignore this post. Thanks!

Last edited:
That is so not true :)
About wounding - i have 70% by your calculation, where is it? :)
and its actualMin/maxMin to be correct :)
But about the professional standing - i agree, its not always correct to assume it is the right measure.

FreezyPops said:
Serendipty unlocks at a Hit Ability rating of 3.0-3.1
Coolness 4.0-4.1
Combat Relfexs 5.0-5.1
etc.etc.

Marksmanship, Range Damage Assesment, Wounding, Kill Strick all unlock at a Min. Damage % (maxMin/actualMin)- therefore no professional standing it required

example:
Wounding at 62%
Kill strick at 92%
etc.etc

Will go into more detail of which skill effect what stats of a gun in the future - but for now focus on Weapon Techs. and anatomy for Min. Damage unlockers and Rifle/Pistol and Weapon Techs. for Hit Abillity unlockers..

Last edited:
girtsn said:
That is so not true :)
About wounding - i have 70% by your calculation, where is it? :)
and its actualMin/maxMin to be correct :)
But about the professional standing - i agree, its not always correct to assume it is the right measure.

Sorry my unlock X%'s are based off this
(2.0-(MaxMin/ActualMin))*100 = X%

And in which cause im correct in my statment that wounding unlocks at 62%

This formula rulez. I dont know what MA will do when they find out that we know, but it is the answer to the uncertainity with unlocking skills which many of us have faced. I unlocked my Wounding right at the point (62%) where FreezyP0ps said. So big +rep man, you are the skill genius, wiseman :wise:

Untill MA changes the system once again :mad:

FreezyP0ps said:

Last edited:
Anyone good at calculus?

You're going to have to:

a) Find out the skills that influence the unlocking of this skill
b) Get someone skill levels for each of those applicable skills at the moment of unlocking
c) Using calculus, figure out the mathematical equation that determines the resultant 'level' is for that avatar

Say for Martial Arts:

We assume the relevent skills are:

Melee Combat
Weapons Handling
Combat Reflexes
Inflict Melee Damage

And Either

Heavy Melee Weapons
Long Blades​

Or

Light Melee Weapons

And

Whip

Or

Clubs

Or

Short Blades

Or

Power Fists​

Taking the usual combination..

Melee Combat
Weapons Handling
Combat Reflexes
Inflict Melee Damage
Heavy Melee Weapons
Long Blades

You would then need to factor in each skill amount for each avatar you have figures for unlocking Martial Arts.

In this there are a couple of possibilities.

a) You get an average figure for all the skills
b) Each skill is done on %age as attribute to the unlock (e.g 10% weighting on Melee, 10% Weapons Handling, 50% Long Blades etc)
c) There is an equation which is used to calculate the Martial arts unlock level (e.g. (mc + wh + cr) + (imd + hmw + lb) / 2 = ma)

Then you have to factor in the possibility of the actual unlock having a randomness to it per avatar. At the moment, it would seem like it is random but I think maybe people are overlooking certain attributing skills which are different for everybody depending on someones skilling trends.

If you do a lot of pistol and rifle work, then you will gain combat Reflexes and Weapons Handling, if these skills are used to calculate MA unlocking then someone who does do a lot of pistol a rifle work who also does a lot of melee work may well unlock MA much earlier than someone who does nothing but melee.

I have heard of someone who unlocked MA at 3700 long blades, but long blades is the only combat skill they do, then I see ViperGTS' post about unlocking MA and you can see he has 3500 long blades, but has a substantial amount of rifle and pistol skill. I can only deduce from this that combat reflexes and weapons handling play a part in the unlock. (or in fact determine the professional standing)

Hope this helps people understand the complexities of skill calculation.

Please do not take my comments as gospel as this is something that I have deduced in discussing with my fellow workmates come players extensively and using information presented on this forum.

Oh and by the way, I hit 3k in longblades yesterday, so I'm not going to be far from posting my unlock either :)

Have Fun :)

Last edited:
Good post Akirablade, I have done that only for Taming (this is
about unlocking it without buying a pet). If there are several skills involved,
quite many unlocking cases need to be covered. Depends on little bit
how different cases are, a second similar player unlocking something with
the same skills as the previous one does not add info. If n skills are
involved one needs to cumulate minimum of 2^n observations.
Naturally some skills may prove out insignificant in the early stages.

The (max-min)/max dmg ratio on some rifles/melee etc. could be
a basis for single parameter, folks should test it more. Perhaps
somebody takes this as his new year resolution, and PMs all people
who send unlocking post on this forum, and asks them to send him
a skill snapshot? He then cumulates and prunes out the info.

Thx also for pointing out how gun skills can influence melee, and vice versa.
I have noticed the same phenomenon.

Thanks for the praise. I'd like to comment on something you said.

KapokWu said:
The (max-min)/max dmg ratio on some rifles/melee etc. could be
a basis for single parameter, folks should test it more.

I don't believe that this value is a 'parameter' but a modified version of the actual result of the equation.

As it was stated earlier in this thread, if you were to multiply the hit ability value by 1000 you would get the professional standing that you have for that weapon. In Rifles and Pistols this is clouded by the weapon technologies, however in Long Blades it is a straight cut affair. I have 3000 Longblades skill (I got this yesterday morning, woohoo :) ) My hit ability is at 1.8/10. Using the previously mentioned simple calculation, that makes my Professional standing as Adept Brawler (or whatever it is for long blades I can only see my rifle ones!).

The the actual calculation would produce a result in the region of 1800 and 1899 which rounds down to 1.8.

I am so sorry i miscalculated - thought that imk2 max mindamage is 35, but it is 36. Will see, i have 61% now :) +rep for you anywayz
AND IT DID THE TRICK! THE FORMULA WORKS!
FreezyP0ps said:

Last edited:
the intuition skill to me is the biggest mystery i know Angel from cK has it but who else? and what does it do and when do you get it. My gues is that its not very much combat related

AkiranBlade said:
Anyone good at calculus?

You're going to have to:

a) Find out the skills that influence the unlocking of this skill
b) Get someone skill levels for each of those applicable skills at the moment of unlocking
c) Using calculus, figure out the mathematical equation that determines the resultant 'level' is for that avatar

Say for Martial Arts:

We assume the relevent skills are:

Melee Combat
Weapons Handling
Combat Reflexes
Inflict Melee Damage

And Either

Heavy Melee Weapons
Long Blades​

Or

Light Melee Weapons

And

Whip

Or

Clubs

Or

Short Blades

Or

Power Fists​

Taking the usual combination..

Melee Combat
Weapons Handling
Combat Reflexes
Inflict Melee Damage
Heavy Melee Weapons
Long Blades

You would then need to factor in each skill amount for each avatar you have figures for unlocking Martial Arts.

In this there are a couple of possibilities.

a) You get an average figure for all the skills
b) Each skill is done on %age as attribute to the unlock (e.g 10% weighting on Melee, 10% Weapons Handling, 50% Long Blades etc)
c) There is an equation which is used to calculate the Martial arts unlock level (e.g. (mc + wh + cr) + (imd + hmw + lb) / 2 = ma)

Then you have to factor in the possibility of the actual unlock having a randomness to it per avatar. At the moment, it would seem like it is random but I think maybe people are overlooking certain attributing skills which are different for everybody depending on someones skilling trends.

If you do a lot of pistol and rifle work, then you will gain combat Reflexes and Weapons Handling, if these skills are used to calculate MA unlocking then someone who does do a lot of pistol a rifle work who also does a lot of melee work may well unlock MA much earlier than someone who does nothing but melee.

I have heard of someone who unlocked MA at 3700 long blades, but long blades is the only combat skill they do, then I see ViperGTS' post about unlocking MA and you can see he has 3500 long blades, but has a substantial amount of rifle and pistol skill. I can only deduce from this that combat reflexes and weapons handling play a part in the unlock. (or in fact determine the professional standing)

Hope this helps people understand the complexities of skill calculation.

Please do not take my comments as gospel as this is something that I have deduced in discussing with my fellow workmates come players extensively and using information presented on this forum.

Oh and by the way, I hit 3k in longblades yesterday, so I'm not going to be far from posting my unlock either :)

Have Fun :)

Done most of that for gun skills

There has been a lot of great answers to many questions here, I do have one question that was clouded a tiny bit. I am looking to unlock RDA and have decided to chip several combat areas thinking that i was too low in one of them. I now have over 4k Rifle, 3k handgun, 3k Inflict Ranged, 3k Combat Sence, 3k Weapons handling, 3k BLP Tech, 3k Marksman and still no RDA. It was asked in this thread if someone had chipped, Does this matter to unlocking skills? I am now 'Good BLP sniper' which is well past the stated 'Experienced' required for the suposed unlocking. SO i am wondering if Chiping makes it so that you can't unlock a certain skill, Maybe PE recognizes when your Primary Status has changed and unlocks it then. And by chipping i have skipped that marker in the software?

Am basicly wondering if chiping makes a diffence than skilling the old fashioned way? Thanks in advance =D

-Samantha

Samantha Carter said:
There has been a lot of great answers to many questions here, I do have one question that was clouded a tiny bit. I am looking to unlock RDA and have decided to chip several combat areas thinking that i was too low in one of them. I now have over 4k Rifle, 3k handgun, 3k Inflict Ranged, 3k Combat Sence, 3k Weapons handling, 3k BLP Tech, 3k Marksman and still no RDA. It was asked in this thread if someone had chipped, Does this matter to unlocking skills? I am now 'Good BLP sniper' which is well past the stated 'Experienced' required for the suposed unlocking. SO i am wondering if Chiping makes it so that you can't unlock a certain skill, Maybe PE recognizes when your Primary Status has changed and unlocks it then. And by chipping i have skipped that marker in the software?

Am basicly wondering if chiping makes a diffence than skilling the old fashioned way? Thanks in advance =D

-Samantha

It was asked if people had chipped due to people mismatching what they actually chip in. You would have to chip all of the items to gain an unlock. However, I believe that your agility, intelligence, psyche and strength may make a part of the calculation. Also the General skills of Agility, Athletics, Alertness, Dexteristy, Bravado, Courage and Perception may also play a similar small part in the calculation. You will need to skill for quite a while to unlock still.

No, you must just follow the FreezyP0ps formula. I don't know what is the unlock % for RDA as i didn't know of the formula when I unlocked it, but I am sure someone knows or will know soon. I think RDA should be formula related, so you must go for the anatomy or ird for some min damage addup (I suggest anatomy as its much cheaper, and as you have enough of IRD) - and post your unlock % here :)
Just to remind you:
Unlock % = (2 - (Max minimal damage / your minimal damage)) * 100
Or there is a mistake in my assumptions and RDA isn't min damage related :laugh:
And, dont forget to go hunting after you chip as no skills are unlocked by chipping.
Samantha Carter said:

-Samantha

Samantha Carter said:

-Samantha

Focus on Anatomy and Weapon Tech.
If you happen to hof and have the spare peds - worth picking up a chip or two of each

FreezyPops said:
Focus on Anatomy and Weapon Tech.
If you happen to hof and have the spare peds - worth picking up a chip or two of each

I can confirm this. I ran a similar experiment...in my search for serendipity. Having started on axes and blades, I crossed quite late into guns, so my skills were out of wack for lasers, and didn't realise that I could have just continued the lb's to get serendipity...so I did lots of rifle/pistol hunting and started chipping the holes to bring the gun skills up to my blade skills...now with RDA, this is what I found...assuming you are using lasers / plasma's - ( I actually use a wide mix of blp's, lasers, blades and axes - frequently on a single mob to match the cost to the amount of damage I need to do at the time, and because its fun).

Pursuing RDA by hunting with laser pistol and plasma rifle only (and chipping selectively in the associated skills - see below) required: (although a couple of these just might be unnecessary)
Agility 42+ (not directly chippable, but affected by other skill chips - note a friend got RDA when he tripped 49 agility)
Hlth 116+ (not directly chippable, but affected by other skill chips)
Courage 3k+ (not sure about this one either on RDA - but it is useful...as you will discover if you chip it)
Alertness 1.8k (not sure about this - i was trying to boost agility, not sure what impact it has on the mix, though)
Aim 3k+
HG 3k+
Comb Reflexes 2k+
IRD 3k+
Marks'p 3k+
Rifle 3.8k+
WHT 3k ***This was a critical chip..seemed to have a big impact on prof rank
LWT 3.9k
Dext 1.9k
Anat 3.2k ***Also seemed to matter more than would seem obvious at first.

...and of course to pay for all this you might want to chip perception so that the loots are viable, and think about evade so that your armour doesn't get hit so much. I didn't actually unlock RDA directly from an impant..but it came up very quickly during a hunt after the WHT and marksmanship were pushed over 3k.

I am sure some of this is over skilled or over chipped but such is the consequence of changing professions mid stream and hunting for cost minimsation rather than rapid skilling.

These numbers make me a 'good laser sniper'...note I have left out skills i don't believe are relevant..in my case some of these are pretty ridiculous but watching how the professions and ranks changed I am pretty sure that they don't come into the equation, or I would have got RDA ages ago. The thing is it does not just come up when you are 'experienced laser sniper' or what ever, RDA requires more than just a professional rank.

Extraction is when you hit proffiecient (2600) in the skill, mining.

Regarding CGA i think the reason for strakken being marvelous miner when unlocking CGA was that prospecting was raising WAYYY slow back then, you could have raised your skill in mining and extraction up so high that you would be marvelous miner even tho prospecting was only 2600.

I have read on several occasions that CGA is unlocked around 2600 pros and that seems reasonable.

1 thing is for sure tho, with the geo and pros raises you get with the new patches you will unlock CGA long before marvelous miner. More likely around inspring.

Last edited:
hojlund said:
Extraction is when you hit proffiecient (2600) in the skill, mining.

Regarding CGA i think the reason for strakken being marvelous miner when unlocking CGA was that prospecting was raising WAYYY slow back then, you could have raised your skill in mining and extraction up so high that you would be marvelous miner even tho prospecting was only 2600.

I have read on several occasions that CGA is unlocked around 2600 pros and that seems reasonable.

1 thing is for sure tho, with the geo and pros raises you get with the new patches you will unlock CGA long before marvelous miner. More likely around inspring.

I know lot's of people who unlocked extraction at 2000-2100 in mining, so mining alone isn't the only essential skill to unlock it.

RDA unlocks at ~30% min damage stat

hojlund said:

I unlocked Extraction rather late (last VU) ~2600 in mining (my survey was a probe or two over 1800)

CGA is unlocked waaaay earlier now...I got it / ~1800 prospecting..and know of those who got it even earlier than I... so, Im guessing now ~1500-1800 prospecting comes CGA.

Morg said:
I unlocked Extraction rather late (last VU) ~2600 in mining (my survey was a probe or two over 1800)

CGA is unlocked waaaay earlier now...I got it / ~1800 prospecting..and know of those who got it even earlier than I... so, Im guessing now ~1500-1800 prospecting comes CGA.

Yes i read that also now, that is sweet then it most come any day now :D

:dunce:

Back