Question: The Role of Memorial Island

turk1077

Alpha
Society
- TAO -
Cramoth Cramoth Masterson
Greetings my fellow Entropians

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking lately about Memorial Island and the role that it should play in our lives. Currently, there are two memorials located on the island. With the number of people who play EU, it is likely that over time, more memorials will be needed. It’s been debated at times in various threads about who should and should not be remembered there. My question is who do you think should be remembered there? I’m not asking for you to name a specific person, but rather the type of player that should be memorialized on the island. Does a player who logs in a few times, but never really gets too active deserve a spot? How about a player who has played a long time, but isn’t really uber? What kind of contribution, if any, should that person have made to the EU community? If you were to die, would you want to be remembered at Memorial Island?
I know there were a few thoughts bandied about in this thread:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/general-discussion/113240-memorial-island.html

but I was hoping to have a more comprehensive debate to really get the community’s thoughts on what role Memorial Island should play in our EU life.

Please share your thoughts.

I think all players that really immerse themselves into EU deserve a memorial, über or non-über.

If I where to die suddenly I would like to have a small memorial on that island...

I think all players that really immerse themselves into EU deserve a memorial, über or non-über.

If I where to die suddenly I would like to have a small memorial on that island...

Yeah but that is not going to happen, you can only get a memorial if you are rich :rolleyes:

It is a difficult subject matter for some to discuss. I would like to say that I mean no disprespect when I suggest this.

I would like to see a wall where all deceased gamers that have a name submitted may have their name inscribed upon it , similar to the Vietnam memorial http://thewall-usa.com in Washington , D.C.
It would even be possible for MA to use a clickable link on each name that would lead to the persons personal stats in the game and in life.

just a thought

Bones

It is a difficult subject matter for some to discuss. I would like to say that I mean no disprespect when I suggest this.

I would like to see a wall where all deceased gamers that have a name submitted may have their name inscribed upon it , similar to the Vietnam memorial http://thewall-usa.com in Washington , D.C.
It would even be possible for MA to use a clickable link on each name that would lead to the persons personal stats in the game and in life.

just a thought

Bones

Thats a nice idea, Bones :)

Cheers :beerchug:

Memorial Island is for anyone who would like to be remembered, or would like someone that they love remembered.

Yes if I were to pass I would hope that my loved ones would ask MA for a memorial on the island.

Though I hope that never happens ;)

Ciao
Lexxy

just a thought

Bones

Yep, very nice idea bones. I've been around a while and whilst i've not made a huge spash in PE/EU, i'd like to think that i'd be remembered for doing some good. i know i'd like to see the same happen for all of my friends in EU too.

I would like to see a wall where all deceased gamers that have a name submitted may have their name inscribed upon it

I like the idea! But would we then be able to figure out how many accounts are active once it's made? MA would NEVER go for that...

You do not have to be rich to get a memorial you simply need to make the request to MA and supply the death certificate and other required documents and they will go to work.

If you are a part of this wonderful universe and you wish to have a memorial here when you go make sure you put all the required info into your RL WILL.

As you should also do when thinking about your avatar and all their posessions...

Make sure you leave your loved ones detailed information about how to dispose of your items and who to trust in helping them.

If they dont know how to retrieve your assets then your entire account could end up being vaporized into the game and your family may not get to enjoy the spoils created by your passion for this Awesome Universe.

Echo is my virtual soul.
She walks in the light of honesty loyalty and trust.
She is here to make friends not enemies.
Though she has the power to destroy she prefers to create...
I hope that my beautiful Echo who I have spent years training and perfecting will be remembered for long after I am gone.....

I am sure that I am not the only one who feels this way about their pixelated personality...

Hard question and I have to think about it in two ways.
In general and in reality.
We have two memorials, I visited both.
Somehow I feel Memorial Island is becoming a sad place. When, in general, you are walking in a cemetery you feel bad. But, when you are walking in a virtual one, you feel - mostly - nothing (except if you know the person).
Many people left some items at the memorials and many people doing sport to pick them up, laugh, run away and return later to check if something new there. I don't want that, that is not a memorial.
On the other hand it is a nice gesture, but I am not sure if that should be public. Most people have no interest in that, many people passing each day, some of us just count it as another loss, and not because ignorance, but because this is life.
Like earlier said, a memorial wall might be a better idea where you can leave messages, offer contribution (like I created memorial video for request in another mmo and you can post links to that video, fan/memorial sites, etc. with the censoring of MA to avoid spams) and so on.
But I have bad taste memories about all of this. Months ago a great humorist died here and in another mmo his picture and some notes were posted at most places. Felt it pointless then. Bit later it is all gone and no one remembers.
Do you want a memorial to just to be there and no one care about you? Who you were, what did you do in your life, even in your virtual one? I am sure that no one wants that.
I posted a screen about the new memorial on a mmorpg site and for my surprise it got - votes, but the + ones of course were in majority. Maybe just virtual peoples are more ignorant and think it as just the part of the game?
Either way, however it would be nice, but I never want a memorial about me nor anyone whom I know. I want to remember to the person as I knew, not when my path leads to the memorial and stand for a moment - oh I forgot this, nice - then walk away and continue my own life.

Is it just me is someone else aware that this is just a computer game?
Your avatar dies, create a memorial for it! Makes sense!
A player dies make a memorial for him in a real graveyard, or a statue in a square...
I believe people are taking this in game memorial crap way too far!

Wanna create an in game graveyard, fine, create the graves with some random names, stick some crosses on the ground, make the sky grey and then spread some zombies and some ghosts so that people can hunt!:yay:

Funny thing this thread :D

Might i just add... should we add a rememberance day for all those avas who log in, we get to know them a few days and disappear into oblivion without ever resurfacing on EU lands?

Or maybe a missing persons MA department?

While we're at it... why not a missing uber items liaison? So we can bug them and get all those unused accounts for months/years to be deleted? :yay:

well..... how much would it cost ???? to get a memorial, 1k dollar or so ???

If people want it why not supply it ??

Its their money...

Well, to me, honestly, it plays no role. I did not know Island Girl, and I don't know dion and his wife. I went to memorial island as a noob when I first heard about it just to see what the big deal was. That's pretty much it. Both people's untimely passing is tragic, but I don't really understand the general public's continued morbid fascination with turning Memorial Island into some sort of sideshow.

As for, would I want a memorial for myself.. No, I would not, but I can understand why some people would.

Is it just me is someone else aware that this is just a computer game?
Your avatar dies, create a memorial for it! Makes sense!
A player dies make a memorial for him in a real graveyard, or a statue in a square...
I believe people are taking this in game memorial crap way too far!

Wanna create an in game graveyard, fine, create the graves with some random names, stick some crosses on the ground, make the sky grey and then spread some zombies and some ghosts so that people can hunt!:yay:

actualy i quite like the idea of being re created as a zombie mob
if i died
at least if i looted well :)

Island Girls Shrine on Memorial Island means a great deal to me on a personal level.. As Someone who has moved many times in RL to different parts of the world to have her Memorial online means that it is always accessible, in addition to that practical feature, the Reality of Entropia is something I'm deeply interested in and to have a deeply emotional connection to the virtual Soil is something I cherish.

Even though Tina, didnt have the pleasure of seeing EU develop to where it is today, she totally loved this world and could see its potential...

I'm utterly convinced that she would genuinely love her shrine in Entropia more than a Tomb in the Real World..
To her son it is also an extremely special place and as our kids are all growing up online, A place on memorial Island is much more tangible to them, than to us...

Dion Red Strike told me the story of his late daughter being on the Memorial Island and I have to say it was a touching story. It's things like this that really drive home with me when related to a company like Mindark.

I haven't been there yet but would like to check it out when someone can guide me there.

Who should be allowed to have a memorial? Well they should have at least graduated - that shows that they have been playing for a while and have taken the game seriously. As someone else suggested there would have to be a request from the person's family as well. I don't think that ther ewill be too many memorials based on these criteria in the near future though.

the memorial is a good thing. i personally don't know if i would want to be memorialized but it is a good idea for those interested.

I have been a member of the universe here for the last 3yrs for anything up to 20 hrs a day (yes I did 72hrs straight once)

My mother knows how much this universe means to me and she knows how many friends I have here.....

More people call me echo IRL than my real name anymore...

Echo is who I am and she has done so much.....

In remembering Echo my firends will get a chance to remember me....

Perhaps one day I will inspire a new player to follow in the footsteps of one of EU's most addicted beacon addicts....

Many will pass by never knowing or understanding why....but for the few who really do understand it will mean a lot......

I would rather my family to be able to come visit Echo ingame and appreciate the good things than to visit a graveyard IRL and mourn..

Call me weird but I want to be cremated and my ashes mixed with paint and turned into a portrait of me.

In EU memorial island will hold my shrine..my family know already...

Does yours?

I really agree with the wall idea :) This shouldn't be too difficult and it would be a nice memorial.. :)

I don't it's that hard to get a memorial in Entropia either.
As Echo said, if you write down in your RL will that this is something you want done, you should just write down the information needed and I don't think that it would be too hard to get MA to make a memorial..

I have been a member of the universe here for the last 3yrs for anything up to 20 hrs a day (yes I did 72hrs straight once)

My mother knows how much this universe means to me and she knows how many friends I have here.....

More people call me echo IRL than my real name anymore...

Echo is who I am and she has done so much.....

In remembering Echo my firends will get a chance to remember me....

Perhaps one day I will inspire a new player to follow in the footsteps of one of EU's most addicted beacon addicts....

Many will pass by never knowing or understanding why....but for the few who really do understand it will mean a lot......

I would rather my family to be able to come visit Echo ingame and appreciate the good things than to visit a graveyard IRL and mourn..

Call me weird but I want to be cremated and my ashes mixed with paint and turned into a portrait of me.

In EU memorial island will hold my shrine..my family know already...

Does yours?

Wow! To be so involved in a virtual world surely could not be healthy. You are truely addicted and I'd seek help asap if I were you.

But I'm not and you won't so I guess that's that. If more people in RL called me by my avatar name then my real name I'd realize how sick that is.

BTW, any of this memorial crap to someone playing a computer game is stupid to me. Call it what you want people, it's still just something you play on the computer.

Wow! To be so involved in a virtual world surely could not be healthy. You are truely addicted and I'd seek help asap if I were you.

But I'm not and you won't so I guess that's that. If more people in RL called me by my avatar name then my real name I'd realize how sick that is.

BTW, any of this memorial crap to someone playing a computer game is stupid to me. Call it what you want people, it's still just something you play on the computer.

Well, some gets more involved than others.. ;)

Is this just something you play on your computer?
Did you never make any friends in Entropia?
Did you never talk to a friendly person, and made you happy, just by interactive chating?
Is it all just a game to you?
Do you log on, don't even bother to open your friends list, because it's empty, never written in the soc chat, because you never joined one?

I can see that Entropia is "just" a game to people not interacting with other players, but some of us actually made friends in this "computer game". Some of us even met them IRL, and had a great time :)

I think that memorials inside Entropia is a nice idea, tho, I would never ask to be the one remembered at Memorial Island.. (I think) but I think that's up to the single person playing (and MA of course). :)

Just my :twocents:

Just a thought,everyone can have a memorial of their own in here if ya think about it.I had to put a dog down after 13 years of great friendship and just bought a dak and gave it her name.She might not be around IRL but I can always stop by and see her any time in game.Still feels good to hit the stable and I hope it never stops feeling that way.

Neverdie that`s a nice way to put it for those that don`t get it.

I`m okay with memorials in EU and that wall idea sounds like great one. After all they add to the sense of realism.

I`m not sure what the original purpose of Memorial Island was or if it was called something else before I started playing. But I do know it was much better for mining before they put all those big old rocks on it. :/

I think that the wall idea is great.

As for Memorial Island I do go there often when I need some time of silence to think. I often go there and drop small things I can spare as a substitute of a candle or a stone. I wish MA came to the idea of candles there tbh.
It would be nice to go and click a candle to make it light for few minutes. Like on a real graveyard.

IRL I love seeing graves, I often try to take a walk in a cementry and I do it to think about past, about people lives and about time. As I am a historian this sort of thing I suppose is natural for me.
I visit all sorts of graves and when it is a haliday of the dead or some sort of anniversary I always spend some cash of candles I can light on the graves that are forgotten. No person deserves to be forgotten - be it a RL friend, stranger or an avatar who you made friends with.
Such avatars are really a people on the other side of the screen. As such they deserve a memory.

I like EU and I can see that many people treat it not as a virtual world only, but as a part of their lives. For example I do have more friends online that I have IRL. When I check my e-mail I don't have much to write, but when I go online I have always several people to say hello to and people who I can chat with. My PM sound comes much more often then my moblie phone rings and I do not avoid RL contacts. I feel good to know that there are always people I know online and when I need a chat i will not wake someone with a phone or bother in something important they may be doing. Online there is always someone I can talk to, someone who knows me and who is my friend.

I think in some part my avatar is a reflection of me and as such I would love it to be remembered when I die (and so does he) by those who know me. I would like my mates to have a place where they could come to chat with each other or a place where they could just come and think about times we had online. I think Memorial Island plays the role well.

There is one more reason for Memorial, as Neverdie stated. We, who didn't know Island Girl, can't really say anything here. But those who knew her need this place.
I bet Dion needs the grave too, not to show what had happened to him or something, this is a personal therapy of some sort and therefore it is important.

Hmm what if with any type of memorial, in place of people leaving items there could be an option to light a candle on the chosen one that would burn for a set period of time and charge a few pec that goes back into the loot pool for it. Almost like a small ad screen that could accomodate a suitable number of candles that when all lit up make a nice little formation. Staggered or whatever.

This idea, which is great, crops up from time to time. Last time, Marco weighed in on the topic and said MA was aware of the request & was considering options. Sounded like he liked the idea. So who knows when something will come of it.

My personal preference would be to have people be able to donate PED to real charities via the memorials...minus a bit for overhead. I think a memorial site for those who wish to remember loved ones is a fantastic idea and would garner a great deal of good will directed towards MA.

I think it will eventually happen. Best way is to let MA know that it has a huge amount of support in the community. I would love to see it soon after MA gets the bugs out of the new gaming engine.

The Role of Memorial Island is to show respect to those that have made a contribution to PE/EU past and present. And I don't mean in money or being a post whore.:rolleyes:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McBJ3ieJikw[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not one who deserves it, are you... Ask yourself that. Maybe, and just maybe the "game" would be a better place to have fun. I "thought" that was the whole point of this "game"...

Mommy's money buys anything in this "game". This is the only part that should not be able to be bought at tt+ whatever...

Just my :twocents: worth...

Last edited:
Back