Question: The Role of Memorial Island

:scratch2:

Where are people getting some of these statements from? I remember reading a statement ages ago about memorial island, and reading that ANYONE in EU who wants a memorial and can supply the death certificate can have one made.

Memorials are there for the surviving loved ones of someone who has passed on. Some people in EU do form very personal relationships and strong friendships with other participants. There have even been cases of people meeting in EU, and later getting married IRL. EU is not tetris or minesweeper, there are real people here behind every avatar, and people do tend to bond with others (well, apparently not all people, but you get the idea, right?)

So, why not memorials? If someone loves EU, and wants a memorial for a lost loved one, then why not let them have it? If someone who loves EU enough that they want to request a memorial in their own name when they pass on so that their friends in EU will have a virtual place to go to remember them, then why not let them request that in their will? These people aren't hurting anyone by requesting the memorial, and memorial island was put into EU as a designated spot for memorials anyway. There is no hunting or mining on memorial island, so there is no reason for anyone who doesn't want to see memorials to go there.

Wow....Neg rep me but that vid made me wanna hoff in Night ranger stock.:rolleyes:

i am neo sharp i am a top10 globaler in hunting last months.

months ago i wouldnt care, but now i have lost my brother in a motorcycle accident.

My brother Mike Zainooo Edge was the person who get me into game, he learn me the basics and after finishing his own avatar, he became a member of Art of War as Neo Sharp Jr, loved by many.

today at funeral i was very very touched to see flower from my family Art of War.

my lilbro that played a couple of hours per week got flowers from his family the Art of War.
He was known as Neo Sharp Jr and he was loved by many.

i can say this now i am personally very touched by my family art of war action.

Thank you very much ART OF WAR!!!

and i would like to see a wall of entropians that nolonger can play :(

Condolences on your loss Neo

Bones

I wouldnt care if I was dead.. I vote for removal of the island, crappy mining there anyway :)

That makes two of us....I wouldn't care if you were dead either.

For those that have lost loves ones, especially loved ones who played EU, the memorial obviously has touched a nerve. Go mine somewhere else. Perhaps, MA will be kind enough to create a special island for you called NRF. I would donate to that.

I would say it like this,

I have been a part of this "alternate reality" for a year now. Yes I know, not a long time considering. However, I dump 70% of my pay into this game. I have been deployed to Iraq, come back, and drop 10k USD into the game out of sheer love for the game, the people and the break from my reality.

I would hope that a trully dedicated "inhabitant" of this universe would have a place on Memorial Island. Who's to say the next time I deploy in November that something tragic might happen. Will I come home? There is no question in my mind about it. The real question is, will I come home in the cargo bay of a C-5 with an American flag draped over an oak box with hundreds or final salutes from my brothers and sisters? Or will it be via a 737 to the tune of 300 civilians waving the colors in utter joy for our return? I would hope that if I give my life for my country and the people across the world that we are dying to protect that I will have a place for my soul to rest in true peace and harmony. A place that stands to remember all the great souls from the Entropia Universe who have died for those very same reasons.

PFC Blackburn, Michael A
68W Combat Medic
A Co 3/7 Cav, 3ID

Neo, I am very sorry. Accept my condolences.
I think Art of War did a great thing.

This is what I was writting about on page 3. Some people take EU not as a "game" but as a part of life. I know my avatar isn't old enough to make such statements, but I know many people (including RL) who play here and EU is just as important for them as reality. For them having two lives is normal and they deserve to have both (Entropian and what we call "real" live) graves when they die. Ofc I don't talk about fresh players or people logging in once in a week or month. I mean the regular addicted people, but I am sure you get the point.

I wouldnt care if I was dead.. I vote for removal of the island, crappy mining there anyway :)

Make it 3. I would not care if you were dead as well.
I don't think I would care if I was dead too, but my friends would. And this is important, not a selfish point of fiew like yours.

Maybe, just maybe, mining on Memorial is crappy because you shouldn't do it there? Never came to this idea?
I wouldn't look for oil IRL on a graveyard nor would I drop explosives there. Graves require peace and silence, not explosions. Imho that is the reason why you don't have even exos on Memorial though you have them on LAs without owners or god's forgotten places on the map.
I think some radius around graves should give "you cannot mine in this location" info...

Just a thought,everyone can have a memorial of their own in here if ya think about it.I had to put a dog down after 13 years of great friendship and just bought a dak and gave it her name.She might not be around IRL but I can always stop by and see her any time in game.Still feels good to hit the stable and I hope it never stops feeling that way.

hmmm anyone who knows me will tell you thati was devistated after the loss of bob the dog and there are places i still cannot go because i still miss him but this is another level ffs these are freinds family loved ones
get a life m8

memorial isle is a good thing
it celabrates the enjoyments of the pepole we love
and what made them happy makes us happy
why do we have head stones if not to mark our passing to passers by
it is to say "here is one who enjoyed this and is worth remembering"
ffs a memorial is by nature sompthing to remember people by

who cares of the nature of a memorial
its purpose is to make us remember
be it in a virtual game or a random cross in the fields of normandy
it is a point of contact
and its use is healing

Last edited:
hmmm anyone who knows me will tell you thati was devistated after the loss of bob the dog and there are places i still cannot go because i still miss him but this is another level ffs these are freinds family loved ones
get a life m8

Memorial Island.pet in the stable.Who cares?Its the same idea honoring someone or somethings memory.How about you get a clue?

memorial isle is a good thing
it celabrates the enjoyments of the pepole we love
and what made them happy makes us happy
why do we have head stones if not to mark our passing to passers by
it is to say "here is one who enjoyed this and is worth remembering"
ffs a memorial is by nature sompthing to remember people by

who cares of the nature of a memorial
its purpose is to make us remember
be it in a virtual game or a random cross in the fields of normandy
it is a point of contact
and its use is healing

And I never said I had anything against the idea.Your reading skills are only overwhelmed by your gramatical errors.

I like Bones' wall idea. I feel every player should have the opportunity to memorialize themselves and/or avatar on memorial island after their death.

would be a great way to generate money for the loot pool. a player pays 300 to 1000ped to get their name on a wall. and the name will only appear once a letter with proof of death has been received by MA.

I don't really get why MA doesn't do more of this kind of money generating for the EU economy. They could even come up with a system to let players rent a plot of ground and submit a user created memorial shrine. IMO It would be best to not allow users to own ground on the island. I'm afraid that resellers would take advantage...so there should be some kind of restriction that makes it very risky for resellers. Maybe you can loose the plot if the monthly fee isn't paid?

At any rate the memorial biz could be huge and bring a lot of money into EU

But I do know it was much better for mining before they put all those big old rocks on it. :/

dude, mining in a memorial site? :eek:

Hmm what if with any type of memorial, in place of people leaving items there could be an option to light a candle on the chosen one that would burn for a set period of time and charge a few pec that goes back into the loot pool for it. Almost like a small ad screen that could accomodate a suitable number of candles that when all lit up make a nice little formation. Staggered or whatever.

that could be nice with the coming day/night cykles... :)

months ago i wouldnt care, but now i have lost my brother in a motorcycle accident.

My brother Mike Zainooo Edge was the person who get me into game, he learn me the basics and after finishing his own avatar, he became a member of Art of War as Neo Sharp Jr, loved by many.

you considered applying for a memorial for him? sorry for your loss :(

I wouldn't care if you were either... like strangelove and thalion said.
Go mine somewhere else then :confused:

I would hope that if I give my life for my country and the people across the world that we are dying to protect that I will have a place for my soul to rest in true peace and harmony. A place that stands to remember all the great souls from the Entropia Universe who have died for those very same reasons.

That's a great way to put it :)

Dion and Neverdie, I have a small question: Do you get to decide exactly how the memorial should look (the statue too) or just the text/pic window?

all i know about the memorial is sometimes people leave tokens as if the person would even talk to them if they were still alive... but i do plan going there when i get a chance so that i can get some of this free loot i hear so much about

I think there should be tons of memorials and tons of people who care, so they leave tons of free stuff at them, then i could just skip hunting and mining and just go around picking up all this free stuff.. now that would be a great game...

so my vote is yes, plz MA make more memorials

:laugh:

Wow! To be so involved in a virtual world surely could not be healthy. You are truely addicted and I'd seek help asap if I were you.

But I'm not and you won't so I guess that's that. If more people in RL called me by my avatar name then my real name I'd realize how sick that is.

BTW, any of this memorial crap to someone playing a computer game is stupid to me. Call it what you want people, it's still just something you play on the computer.

you are the worst addict of all, you are an addict in denial, how can you sit here and judge someone else???... everyone that plays this game can be considered an addict, as someone once told me (when i scanned him back in the day) , "skills show your level of addiction" .....one alcoholic is better than another because he has 6 drinks a day instead of 30? ...still, they are both addicts..

who the hell are you telling echo she needs help,as she stated, "echo" represents her irl in a virtual world, how can being called echo irl be "sick" . i met her as echo, she created her, she represents her, she is her.... when we talk irl, why the hell wouldnt i refer to her as echo, that is who she is.....they are one of the same

have you ever heard of thing called a nickname irl, if you havent..its is a name you are called other than your legal birth name, that either you prefer or a name you have picked up somewhere by someone else.......i have one for you....DICK!!!

Last edited:
Yes i agree, plus its not they are addicted to this game... i bet there are maybe 2 people in entire game who use their computer for the sole purpose of playing this game... we are addicted to the computer to the technology not the game, the game is just another reason we are addicted to the computer
so maybe you dont spend as much time playing this game thats cause you spend all your time on farmanimalsex.com... none the less your a computer addict like us all...
:wtg:

would be a great way to generate money for the loot pool. a player pays 300 to 1000ped to get their name on a wall. and the name will only appear once a letter with proof of death has been received by MA.

I don't really get why MA doesn't do more of this kind of money generating for the EU economy.

Making money from this? No way! :scared:

Hmm what if with any type of memorial, in place of people leaving items there could be an option to light a candle on the chosen one that would burn for a set period of time and charge a few pec that goes back into the loot pool for it. Almost like a small ad screen that could accomodate a suitable number of candles that when all lit up make a nice little formation. Staggered or whatever.

What about burning a candle for say 50 pec or 1 ped and all the money goes to charity??

I understand most people's points about memorial island/memorials. But i'm affraid that it's not "special" anymore when there are to much of them. But who know's, different for everyone i guess.

What about burning a candle for say 50 pec or 1 ped and all the money goes to charity??

That's a great idea +rep man! :thumbup:

To say i'm a little dissapointed with some of the replies from people i've seen in this thread is an understatement.

Memorial isle is a great thing whoevers memorial it is, when i visit it it reminds me of people that i have loved and lost and also think for those that have memorials there.

We have all lost someone sometime and it's good to remember those people irl and in virtual. None of us are gods and it's a reminder also that we won't be here forever and reminds you to love those around you now, while you still can.

Long live memorial isle and all it stands for.

Love,

Jamhot

Memorial Island.pet in the stable.Who cares?Its the same idea honoring someone or somethings memory.How about you get a clue?

And I never said I had anything against the idea.Your reading skills are only overwhelmed by your gramatical errors.

ok so i cant spell i have tried hard for years and it just doesent seem to work
nice to see somone hittin on the thick guy "pat ure self on ure back"
education is not common sence
which i see u are clearly void of
damn man cant u just read the essence of a post
i didnt realise we were getting marked on spelling now
go back to sorting your lint samples by coulor ffs
GET A LIFE

SORRY ALL

Like I told ya in the rep I sent,I wont neg rep you for being an idiot.In fact I + reped you.But because YOU cant read a post is no reason to come on here disrespecting people. I couldnt care less how YOU see memorial Island.Thats between you and the voices in your head.On the same token I couldnt care less how you think about MY memorial.A dog can get you through some pretty tough times in life.
Get a clue.

A dog can get you through some pretty tough times in life.
Get a clue.
So can a bottle of JD , but it can't sing, dance, make art, music or write poetry, just like a dog can't. So i don't think we'll see any animal orientated memorials anytime soon, TBH i think your just making a mockery of people and loving every minute of it. Being contraversial for contraversials sake.

Pull your head out from your own arse for a while and have a little compassion for people.

Jamhot

Last edited:
I dont think your reading it right either.What I said was Anyone could have a memorial for a lost pet by naming a tamed animal after them.Nothing for or against Memorial island.In fact in that post I dont even think I mentioned it.Either way,I wasnt saying Memorial island is a bad idea.I personaly like it.What I DONT like is pompous asses trying to make something out of a post they obviously didnt even read nor comprehend.Wanna try reading that post again and see if you can tell me how it came off as controversial?I'll await your apology.I wont hold my breath.

Just a thought,everyone can have a memorial of their own in here if ya think about it.I had to put a dog down after 13 years of great friendship and just bought a dak and gave it her name.She might not be around IRL but I can always stop by and see her any time in game.Still feels good to hit the stable and I hope it never stops feeling that way.

I'll even make it easy for ya.
And 2 people + reped me for that comment so somebody "Gets it"

:ahh: I didn't read this far back. My apologies. Yes i agree , everyone can have their memorials all you need is a property and a (pc) sign or screen and you can have a picture or a poem contained within to remind you. Your right i should read things through properly i came into this thread about 4 pages in.

Again my apologies, all the best,

Jamhot

No prob Jam. I know your not the type to be an ass just for the sake of being an ass. Your a little bit above that.Figured you didnt see the post.
May you hoff bigger than Fryers:)

It is a difficult subject matter for some to discuss. I would like to say that I mean no disprespect when I suggest this.

I would like to see a wall where all deceased gamers that have a name submitted may have their name inscribed upon it , similar to the Vietnam memorial http://thewall-usa.com in Washington , D.C.
It would even be possible for MA to use a clickable link on each name that would lead to the persons personal stats in the game and in life.

just a thought

Bones

Just want to say that Bones idea sounds like one of the better ones :)

My first thought was that MI should be limited to Tina. She was a very early adopter of EU. I myself, never knew her, but she was an early online 'celbe' if you will, meaning that she was known by a great many. The Song GamerChick was likely a draw for others. From MAs point of view, an early loyal player who was there with them in the beginning, well...it is only natural for them to care.

Is there some 'marketing there'... well, not in the cheap way...but in the way of sharing a important part of EUs legacy. Tina was a real part of the EU story. Call it marketing if you want...but it is the sincere kind.

But as I think more of it, and consider that there are some online relationships that may exist for years. I can appreciate the desire of some to have other memorials.

Does that mean that in 50 years, we will have a graveyard for all us that are now wearing red berets? Maybe.... that would seem a bit odd to me.

I think that if others in the community wanted something to remember others by, then it is a good thing. Sure, some people may have an unbalanced view of online vs RL. But How people choose to remember others takes many different forms.

Some people memorialize others by making a dedication in a book, or a film. Those are just as 'virtual' as a game online. Because you see... all of the remembering, ultimatley takes place in the mind.... what is used to trigger that, is really secondary. In the same way that the person was more than just their body.

I think the wall, and candle ideas are excellent. We must be practical, especially when it comes with expectations about design and coding time that MA employees would have to spare.

Perhaps, along with the wall, and candle ideas... there could be a design component implimented. So that the players that care, could spend the time customizing whatever design they had in mind...and MA coders would not have to get involved each time....maybe not a great idea..just throwing it out. The donation concept would be useful for keeping it from getting out of hand.

Perhaps there could be a period after a passing where friends could go to make donations in memory of someone. Then, after a certain period of time, the memorial could be built.

It does feel a bit strange discussing this. For those that just dont' see it, I can appreciate where you are comming from. Yes, RL is a lot more important that a game online.

But in some cases, there are friendships here that only exist online, not IRL. Why does that have to be the limit of our imagination? I never personally knew Abraham Lincoln, yet can appreciate his memorial just the same. If a memorial means nothing to you..just don't go. But for others... the game was the context of their relationship with those that passed. And, we all know, that things are best remembered in context.

So can a bottle of JD , but it can't sing, dance, make art, music or write poetry, just like a dog can't. So i don't think we'll see any animal orientated memorials anytime soon, TBH i think your just making a mockery of people and loving every minute of it. Being contraversial for contraversials sake.

Pull your head out from your own arse for a while and have a little compassion for people.

Jamhot

I dont think your reading it right either.What I said was Anyone could have a memorial for a lost pet by naming a tamed animal after them.Nothing for or against Memorial island.In fact in that post I dont even think I mentioned it.Either way,I wasnt saying Memorial island is a bad idea.I personaly like it.What I DONT like is pompous asses trying to make something out of a post they obviously didnt even read nor comprehend.Wanna try reading that post again and see if you can tell me how it came off as controversial?I'll await your apology.I wont hold my breath.

:ahh: I didn't read this far back. My apologies. Yes i agree , everyone can have their memorials all you need is a property and a (pc) sign or screen and you can have a picture or a poem contained within to remind you. Your right i should read things through properly i came into this thread about 4 pages in.

Again my apologies, all the best,

Jamhot

+rep+rep+rep+rep+rep+rep+rep+rep+rep+rep+rep+rep+rep+rep+rep+rep+rep+rep+rep+rep

what a guy jam, admitting you made a mistake and aplogizing, its amazing how many people are incapable of doing that...you are a class act!!!!

The wall idea is surely maybe the easiest to implement, but as long as there is still space I do not see a need for a wall.
Also a wall feels a bit too anonymous, every person is unique and the same thing should go for the memorial.
I highly dislike the charity thought, there are enough ways in RL to give to charity and there is a complete "charity industry" profiting, no need to draw them in EU also. One option for offering could maybe be, that what is dropped on the island can only be picked up by MA and they give it to charity without telling anyone where.
Also the memorials should stay free of charge, there are enough things that cost money and the "cost" to get a memorial is already the highest one will be able to pay.

Back