Question: Whats the deal with the ghost footguards?

sky west

Old Alpha
Society
Freelancer
Queen Sky Genesis
It's been quite awhile since the footguards were introduced. But still it seems that the ghost footguards are in very short supply.

Ghost is a crafted armor and to make unlimited footguards you need, ofcourse the bp and about 11 peds tt of the most common ores i know of.

So what's the deal here? Why are these things so expensive and rare?

I thought about it and came up with 2 things:

A) Insufficient drops of bps for UL feet

B) Lucky few crafters who obtained the bp are keeping the price artificially high by controlling supply

Can't be A because despite of what we think and say of MA, I still believe they can count.

So imo this only leaves us with B.

I don't want to accuse anybody, I just feel that the price for UL ghost footguards is unrealistically high and should come down. There's absolutely no reason for them to be so high..... other than the wrong ones!

If my assumption is correct, and there are enough UL bp for UL ghost feet, I can only say that I am truely dissappointed in these people for taking such a high markup on a relative common item made with common materials.

What's your view on this?

Last edited:
B) Lucky few crafters who obtained the bp are keeping the price artificially high by controlling supply

Good for them, as a crafter who has surely spent tons earning thier skills or looting/buying the footguard BP they deserve a return.

Shame on you for knocking them for making profit.

I can't believe you wouldn't do the same if you were in thier shoes (unless you're an idiot and want to destroy markup on items you can profit on). :scratch2:

There are only L BPs for UL ghost FGs, and they're rare.

If "B" is the reason, well, don't you think it's because of "A"?

The BP is very rare and there's no UL BP
picture.php

Good for them, as a crafter who has surely spent tons earning thier skills or looting/buying the footguard BP they deserve a return.

Shame on you for knocking them for making profit.

I can't believe you wouldn't do the same if you were in thier shoes (unless you're an idiot and want to destroy markup on items you can profit on). :scratch2:

But that's not how it works in a healthy economy. And yes, you can take that to RL and see what happend.....

Where does the greed start and where will it end? If only I knew :(

Surely there are ppl out there that want a FAIR cut and a FAIR deal?

Last edited:
But that's not how it works in a healthy economy. And yes, you can take that to RL and see what happend.....

It is so how it works in RL, supply and demand!

You could compare it to a rare coin, it's face value is only perhaps $0.01 but it sells for $80,000.00 it's a fair price because it's rare (1943 Copper Wheat Backed Penny).

I know you can say that doesn't really apply since the coin cannot be manufactured, there is a set number in existance, but with a (L) BP being the only way to make footguards, the comparison holds true imo.

If you had this penny would you spend it as a penny? Of course not!

Probably there are, but seeing how often the markup on low tt goods is substantially higher than full tt (Z15s, anyone?) those people seem to be the buyer and not the seller.

Rare stuff in high demand will always be expensive. Seems like an economic basic to me.

You could compare it to a rare coin, it's face value is only perhaps $0.01 but it sells for $80,000.00 it's a fair price because it's rare (1943 Copper Wheat Backed Penny).

I know you can say that doesn't really apply since the coin cannot be manufactured, there is a set number in existance, but with a (L) BP being the only way to make footguards, the comparison holds true imo.

Sorry, you answered your own question and shot down your arguement. If you can produce more, easily, then they aren't really rare. The greed factor is exactly why our economy, RL, is in the shape it is in today. So I wouldn't support such activities myself.

Sorry, you answered your own question and shot down your arguement. If you can produce more, easily, then they aren't really rare. The greed factor is exactly why our economy, RL, is in the shape it is in today. So I wouldn't support such activities myself.

You can only produce as many as the BP allows.

Rarity is not based solely on the number which exist, it is also based on the demand for such item.

Even if the crafters were dumb enough to sell under market for a so called "fair price" resellers would just snatch them up and relist them at market price (the real fair price).

You can only produce as many as the BP allows.

Rarity is not based solely on the number which exist, it is also based on the demand for such item.

Even if the crafters were dumb enough to sell under market for a so called "fair price" resellers would just snatch them up and relist them at market price (the real fair price).

Yes, I agree with you if there are only a few L BPs. If there is a UL one though, it changes everything.

Just to back up what others have said, the supply of Ghost Feet is completely dependent on the amount of (L) BP drops. There is no unlimited BP.

MA have released these BPs gradually since VU9.0, which means that armour crafters have the opportunity of a nice loot. I rarely craft armour myself but for those who do I imagine the (L) Ghost Feet BP is a sought after drop. The people who get it are of course going to make whatever profit they can from it, either by selling the BP or by clicking it themselves. That's (partly) what the game is about.

The price of the feet has fallen steadliy since they were introduced as more and more find their way into the market. Do what I did and wait till they come down to a price you feel comfortable with (iirc I paid about +400 for mine, I think they're quite a bit lower now). In the meantime either use alternative feet or an alternative set. I used Gremlin feet with my Ghost for a long time before I got the Ghost feet.

Yes there are but it takes a while sometimes for those people to figure out you won't find it here.

I had a full Ghost set.:)
One day it wasn't full anymore, thank you MA.:mad:
I still don't have a full set.:(
But now, I don't care anymore. :dunno:
My arms & armors in a corner, rusty, dusty.
The good days, gone; The problems run deeper than feet.
Thank you MA.:lam:

I challange you to craft armors until you loot a Ghost Footguard BP, then click the BP for the footguards and then come back with some record of how much it costed you in all, then let us know what your idea of a fair price is.

Supply and demand

This only works if seller and buyer can trade on equal grounds. This is not the case, the suppliers have joined forces in what is called a cartel

These cartels are, in the long run, rarely succesfull in maintaining a high price level. This case is no different, and here's why:

Maintaining a very high markup on a specific item is going to attrack other competition in a relative free market. Which EU has, due to bp dropping on a regular basis. Limited or unlimited bps.

With this free market other competition, who are satisfied with less MU, will overheat the market of the bp until the point were it is no longer 'cartel like' profitable to craft UL feet with L bp. Due to the high cost of the L bp.

Eventually another UL bp for UL feet is going to drop and in order to maintain the MU the cartel has to enter in a fierce bidding war on this bp, draining most of their profit. Or give up on the bp and slowly watch the MU go down as more competition enters the market.

Stressed market results in same net result

Due to the high MU the demand side is going to be reduced by players looking for a replacement. This is again possible due to the free market of, in this case, the foot guards. As a consumer you can chose to either buy a cheaper but less protective replacement or buy a same priced or more expensive replacement for the same or better protection.

This effect will reduce the numer of sales of the ghost feet. And this effect will last untill the price comes down to a realistic level, due to competition entering the market. Making the cartel lose out on a good sized portion of the potential market they had.

Your penny

No the comparison does not hold, your penny was made in 1943 and never again. L bps keep on dropping, and ghostfeet are still being made.

Last edited:
I challange you to craft armors until you loot a Ghost Footguard BP, then click the BP for the footguards and then come back with some record of how much it costed you in all, then let us know what your idea of a fair price is.

It's not about me.

Just to back up what others have said, the supply of Ghost Feet is completely dependent on the amount of (L) BP drops. There is no unlimited BP.

MA have released these BPs gradually since VU9.0, which means that armour crafters have the opportunity of a nice loot. I rarely craft armour myself but for those who do I imagine the (L) Ghost Feet BP is a sought after drop. The people who get it are of course going to make whatever profit they can from it, either by selling the BP or by clicking it themselves. That's (partly) what the game is about.

The price of the feet has fallen steadliy since they were introduced as more and more find their way into the market. Do what I did and wait till they come down to a price you feel comfortable with (iirc I paid about +400 for mine, I think they're quite a bit lower now). In the meantime either use alternative feet or an alternative set. I used Gremlin feet with my Ghost for a long time before I got the Ghost feet.

Is there really no UL bp of ghost feet? :scratch2: I wonder....

I agree with you totally on the rest :laugh:

Is there really no UL bp of ghost feet? :scratch2: I wonder....

Yes.

In fact there haven't been any new unlimited BPs for an unlimited item introduced into EU for 3 years or so, and I doubt we will see any more in the future unless it's for a special event prize or something.

So there are unlimited BPs to make limited feet, and limited BPs to make unlimited feet, but no unlimited BP to make unlimited feet, and there probably never will be.

I have been looking for a pair ever since MA decided we need a new armor part. I have asked several of EU's well-known crafters, and they were not able to craft a pair for me (at the market value) because they did not have the BP. The price of UL Ghost foot guards is directly related to the number of BPs that drop, which is controlled by MA...

I recently paid almost 400 PED for a pair just to complete my set... :eek:

Cheers :beerchug:

I got some tiger L feet... much better than ghost, much cheaper.
Why ANYONE would buy ghost feet, I have no idea (other than finish a set for aesthetic purposes).

CyberPunk and OP - your arguement is off topic. The OP was unaware of the fact that ghost feet are crafted from L BP's, this is where the confusion arose. You're both arguing the same thing, just from different perspectives of understanding regarding the (L).

... I don't want to accuse anybody, I just feel that the price for UL ghost footguards is unrealistically high and should come down. There's absolutely no reason for them to be so high..... other than the wrong ones!

If my assumption is correct, and there are enough UL bp for UL ghost feet, I can only say that I am truely dissappointed in these people for taking such a high markup on a relative common item made with common materials.

What's your view on this?

Well, when you can pull ghost foot guards out of your (uhm, I will keep it polite), then the ppl can gather around and buy cheap ones from you. Until that point in time, you should perhaps appreciate, just for a second, the time and energy these fine crafters put into skilling and producing wonderful higher end items such as unlimited ghost foot guards. Personally, I have no issues at the 'extra' little bit I paid for both the (M) and (F) ghost footies I have purchased. This is my view on that.

:D

Ossi!

Like I said, OP was unaware they were created with an L bp, so there's no need to go at him like that.
L bp changes everything for the OP - I'm assuming - as you can't simply craft as many as you can afford to craft, therefore the numbers in-game are limited to droprate, not clickrate, as was the assumption - I assume again - of the OP.

Answer to OP is simple;
They are crafted from an L BP this is why there is limited numbers in circulation and why the item is so rare/expensive.

I got some tiger L feet... much better than ghost, much cheaper.
Why ANYONE would buy ghost feet, I have no idea (other than finish a set for aesthetic purposes).

I bought them primarily for consistency of protection.

Though along the lines of what you're suggesting, I did buy unlimited Thunderbird feet before I ever bought Ghost feet, for electric mobs. At the time the T-Bird was cheaper than the Ghost.

Free Market

Is there a "free" market in EU ???

this is a woundefull exsample that there is not !
Market is controlled by MA and always will imho.

i´v wondert about this ocasinaly or always if i look down on my (gremlin) footies ^^ So there is no UL Bp...hmm why the hell not ?? how much UL bp are there for the rest of ghost armor parts ? this is THE common armor in EU for mid lvl hunter....i find it outrageos....there was statment from MA if i remember corecly: "there will be enougth foot guards for everyone" :rolleyes:

and yes yes yes there are other alternatives...but that one part is as expencive as the rest of the armor makes no sense at all !

The question you should answer yourself is 'why do you want to buy ghost feet?'

If you need it for practical purpose 'protection', just go for (L) feet. Boar, tiger, Jag (L) are cheap and more eco than ghost. Ofc they provide more protection than ghost. So you don't need to buy ghost feet.

For fashion purpose ? so there is no price in fashion. When you want to be cool, you need to pay a lot. That's the law.

At least there are Ghost feet even if the L BP drops are rare. To date there has not yet been made any trooper feet. :(

Is there a "free" market in EU ???

Depends on which market you are referring to. The market as a whole is ofc not free. I was only referring to the armor market, and even then I used the term 'relative' free market.

Whatever the reason, the foot guard thing is total crap.

MA said words to the effect "there will be enough foot guards to go round" and then shortly after stopped dropping NON-L weapons/armour almost 100%.

How on earth will there be enough foot guards to go round if looting anything that is NON-L is as rare as winning the lottery?

Since the feet arrive I HAVE NOT LOOTED A SINGLE PAIR!

I have had my fair share of glows/hoffs, but looting armour or any kind no longer happens, so looting a pair of "infamous feet" for even Pixie would be an achievement for me.

I do not begrudge those who do make the feet the knowledge as to what BP drops it. I just think MA need act on their statement, and DROP THE BP a little more often!

RANT off. I bought feet for all my armour sets, but I can't even find Ghost feet for sale, let alone at a price I will pay!

Back