And the advertising begins :) CNN? Goodmorning America? :-o

sdragonfire

Alpha

listen to part after 4:30! Nice! Finally some mainstream advertising! wooooot!:yay:
WOW 10MILLION PPL! Better get those new servers fast MA :)

Bittersweet is my opinion... my first thought was: Did they film that back on the 70´s

I usually dont comment to much these days but when this is the level of planetpartners I must speak my mind.

I dont know if its just me, or was that just missing so much? It wasnt exciting, it didnt have anything going for it, i understand how important getting this game out to the masses is for its success but how come MA/all other partners just seem to fail so miserably at it?

I could have done so much better, im sorry to say, and im sure my 2 year old son could of too.

With advertising, press and partners like that, im not sure that MA needed to dig its own grave, i think there are people doing it for them,

And additionally THIS GAME ISNT YET IN A STATE WHERE ADVERTISING IS A GOOD IDEA!

Fix it before everyone tries it, hates it and then never tries it again

did they notice what they show of the game do not work ?
like when they put BP and there is that server wait thingy ...
it looks very ....

I saw that video yesterday :eyecrazy:

I hope they did not spend more than 5 minutes creating that presentation because it is absolutely horrible and amateurish!!!

Looks like a shitty game...No way am I gonna spend 3 hours downloading it....

If I saw that before I ever played this game, I would not be playing it now....

I think it actually makes me want to stop playing, because now I don't want to admit that I have played it...

I'm removing the software the second they put that crap on the air.

Definitely missed the opportunity to show hunting and mining there.

Definitely missed the opportunity to show hunting and mining there.
Hunting and mining? Whaaat. Nobody does those...:rolleyes:

this presentation would definitely not had me running home and downloading the game if I was not already playing.

Yeah that wouldnt make me want to play at all!! JUST HORRIBLE!

Side note: this is hardly "mainstream" advertising.

Great, a video to send to the people I want to scare away from the game :rolleyes:

Seriously, that was baaaad... :(

And additionally THIS GAME ISNT YET IN A STATE WHERE ADVERTISING IS A GOOD IDEA!

Yeah, especially NI is lacking a lot...

Like the cost for time travel is huge with those time crystal crafting costs? :dunno:

Most loot had no use whatsoever when I was there...

etc

I believe this was a video of a presentation to potential investors -- not potential players. Link

In Megs defence she isn't much for public speaking and her in game experience is not vast. Sure that could have been done better but at least something is being done. And I'm sure we can all agree that's better advertising then ND has done(at least Meg and Mr. Post aren't acting like rockstars :) )

EDIT: And what Dane said.

Holy crap that's bad.

i got bored watching it even with sound turned off :laugh:

Like the cost for time travel is huge with those time crystal crafting costs? :dunno:

etc

ya and they try to sell it as the most amazing and awaited feature since the arrival of 3d in videogames. How hyped up he is about time travel!!! It's just an insanely expensive way of TP'ing ...

Well that guy started digging Next Island's grave when he gave the job to NDS...
With this video he just put the gravestone to any hopes he had...
Mission completed....
Next Island EPIC Fail...
Next planet please....

Sil$

etc

Well what on earth was up with that blueprint example,

Look here i just got this cool quest reward...
Put in in the crafting machine...
Oh shit i cant afford to make it... I dont have any of the materials
Any help here...free ped please?
"sorry f**k off am i giving you any free ped, you are on your own now"

That made no sense, should have showed some hunting or mining, some action in ancient greece, like two people pvping? that would have made more sense, specially in an arena setup.

They just fail so badly it makes me honest to god sad for all the people investing in their platform and their customers.

Yeah that wouldnt make me want to play at all!! JUST HORRIBLE!

yeah what he said... but anyway why is the INVESTOR promoting the game? What's wrong with those people?
I mean seriously that video is not how professionals promote a game.

Well what on earth was up with that blueprint example,

Look here i just got this cool quest reward...
Put in in the crafting machine...
Oh shit i cant afford to make it... I dont have any of the materials
Any help here...free ped please?
"sorry f**k off am i giving you any free ped, you are on your own now"

That made no sense, should have showed some hunting or mining, some action in ancient greece, like two people pvping? that would have made more sense, specially in an arena setup.

They just fail so badly it makes me honest to god sad for all the people investing in their platform and their customers.

Yeah, they chose really weird things to show off in the video...

"Hey we have awesome graphics, but you only get to see the view from this tree in the corner of the map and most of the time we are gonna be zoomed in on this girl in a tight orange shirt and the wooden deck she is standing on... oh and some tree branches"? :scratch2:

I believe this was a video of a presentation to potential investors -- not potential players. Link

Does that make it ok???????????????? Why is scaring potential investors away better than scaring potential players??

2 things I find interesting:

First, they are now disclaiming that they have a financial stake in NI. deMonchy's previous media exposure that I've seen never mentions that she's a part owner. Nice to see they're finally coming clean instead of masking their commercials in faux "reports".

Second, As far as exposure, GMA gets around 5 million viewers, CNN around 665,000. I don't know how many of those network demographics are likely targets to become gamers. deMonchy did do a CES "report" for the CW network last year... or was it the year before now? Anyway, CW is designed to appeal to the same age demographic that most gamers fall in. Other possible fruit bearing advertising might be sponsoring some of the net only content out there, like Revision3 (Penn Point just plain rocks! Young Turks? They're pure wannabees, but anyway...) and others that a more internet attuned audience turns to for guilty viewing pleasure.

AG

She's been playing 30 secs and then she begs PED! LOL, we are a tough crowd. Imagine us reviewing this game. Would have a score of 3/10.

MA needs to learn what makes good advertising.

Taken from the example of this trailer, id get 10000 times more excited about that then about whatever those guys were trying to convey in that Next Island Demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0RuR3FREFw&feature=related

Potential players need to be excited and impressed, potential investors need to be impressed and told how profitable it is.

If that was a demo for investment they failed by saying nothing about figures, except they will maybe be advertising for 10million people in a way they never really explained how they were going to do it.

They failed on all accounts on successful advertising in my oppinion, unless ofcourse they indended to make the game look like shit?

Interesting that on the page linked to by Great Dane they say :

Competitors
no direct competitors - others in the space include World of Warcraft and Zynga

Investors might be in for a bit of a shock when they find out that there is competition from within EU itself.

Also in the video, David Post says there are thousands of players playing on NI already??? I wonder who is cooking the books to come up with that figure?

Can't wait until the "power casuals" find out that you have to pay to time travel...

Spin City

They need someone known to advertise the game, like George Foreman, Richard Simmons or the "Swedish wall" LunSomething...

Last edited:
But, am i right in saying you can not start at next island ?

So they need to advertise the game as a whole

yeah what he said... but anyway why is the INVESTOR promoting the game? What's wrong with those people?
I mean seriously that video is not how professionals promote a game.

David Post = Next Island founder, owner, CEO, investor, speaker at this demo

Katlean de Monchy = launch expert, TV personality, investor, Next Island marketing, David's wife

Meg Stivison = Next Island's Social Media Director, person behind female avatar on screen and narrator

I have to agree that it doesn't matter who they were presenting this to, I really wish they would have organized it better and spent some time on the other professions, as well as demonstrated and talked more about other aspects of the game, rather than focusing on a failed crafting experience with the character standing on the deck the whole time mentioning things like social activities, flirting, clubbing, fashion ... it started to sound like a SL commercial.

Also, the total silence while video footage of Ancient Greece was showing was not good either, not to mention that all people saw were buildings and landscape. I think it would have been important to bring in perhaps a mob or two and shown some interactiveness, as well as give more narrative during the video.

I have always wished David well with Next Island, and I'm really sick for him that things have gone as they have. I sincerely hope that things can be turned around. If this video is any indication of what's going to be shared on CNN and Good Morning America, then I just don't know what to say. If staff is inexperienced with in-game play, then they need to find someone who can help them out with it.

I'd also like to know whatever happened to Erik Reynolds ... the other part of the marketing team with Katlean.

Back