And the advertising begins :) CNN? Goodmorning America? :-o

Young Turks? They're pure wannabees, but anyway...

They already made a short video about Entropia (well about how stupid ND was to buy CND or something), it sucked and was full of fact errors...

But, am i right in saying you can not start at next island ?

So they need to advertise the game as a whole

You can start on any of the planets currently ingame

David Post = Next Island founder, owner, CEO, investor, speaker at this demo

Katlean de Monchy = launch expert, TV personality, investor, Next Island marketing, David's wife

Meg Stivison = Next Island's Social Media Director, person behind female avatar on screen and narrator

I have to agree that it doesn't matter who they were presenting this to, I really wish they would have organized it better and spent some time on the other professions, as well as demonstrated and talked more about other aspects of the game, rather than focusing on a failed crafting experience with the character standing on the deck the whole time mentioning things like social activities, flirting, clubbing, fashion ... it started to sound like a SL commercial.

Also, the total silence while video footage of Ancient Greece was showing was not good either, not to mention that all people saw were buildings and landscape. I think it would have been important to bring in perhaps a mob or two and shown some interactiveness, as well as give more narrative during the video.

I have always wished David well with Next Island, and I'm really sick for him that things have gone as they have. I sincerely hope that things can be turned around. If this video is any indication of what's going to be shared on CNN and Good Morning America, then I just don't know what to say. If staff is inexperienced with in-game play, then they need to find someone who can help them out with it.

I'd also like to know whatever happened to Erik Reynolds ... the other part of the marketing team with Katlean.

they were nervous, there is so much content that they didnt know where to start.

Not real impressive for professional business people. Hopefully as they immerse themselves in virtual world business they'll get more comfortable promoting it. I almost got the feeling that David Post knew nothing about Entropia and had just rehearsed lines that someone else wrote.

Menace

MA needs to learn what makes good advertising.

Taken from the example of this trailer, id get 10000 times more excited about that then about whatever those guys were trying to convey in that Next Island Demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0RuR3FREFw&feature=related

Potential players need to be excited and impressed, potential investors need to be impressed and told how profitable it is.

If that was a demo for investment they failed by saying nothing about figures, except they will maybe be advertising for 10million people in a way they never really explained how they were going to do it.

They failed on all accounts on successful advertising in my oppinion, unless ofcourse they indended to make the game look like shit?

Sooo true :wise:

Bzzt. MA is done fishing for us puny end users. MA will only try to attract new planet partners. MA is only a platform provider.

It is now incumbent on each planet partner to hunt down and capture their prey. I've gotta give NI some credit as they are doing something other than putting out press releases. I think their efforts are a little wide of the mark, but they are making some attempt to drum up some business. I'd love to see the other planet partners follow suit. I'd also love to see PED cards for sale at the local big box store along with the Farmville and WoW cards. I deposit in a normal fashion, but PED cards take up relatively little retail shelf space, allow some folks that are currently unable to deposit for whatever reason a way in, and would also give the games on the EU platform that subtle but nice feeling of percieved position in the marketplace.

CALYPSO HISTORY LESSION: rewinding Post's youtube and listening again, I had to chuckle at his use of the word Elysium. IIRC, early in the Colony's history, the area around Hadesheim was once called The Elysium Plains. Granted that wasn't the first use either, but I still think of those old legacy maps I have on my hard drive someplace.

Bzzt. MA is done fishing for us puny end users. MA will only try to attract new planet partners. MA is only a platform provider.

It is now incumbent on each planet partner to hunt down and capture their prey. I've gotta give NI some credit as they are doing something other than putting out press releases. I think their efforts are a little wide of the mark, but they are making some attempt to drum up some business. I'd love to see the other planet partners follow suit. I'd also love to see PED cards for sale at the local big box store along with the Farmville and WoW cards. I deposit in a normal fashion, but PED cards take up relatively little retail shelf space, allow some folks that are currently unable to deposit for whatever reason a way in, and would also give the games on the EU platform that subtle but nice feeling of percieved position in the marketplace.

That is all very true, however take the Kinect for example by Xbox,

They have created this "platform" that other games can utilize, (similar to what MA has tried to make EU into), true it leads everyone buying into that technology to help promote it, however, if they saw their sales dwindling, or lack of advertising or anything, im sure they would have contingency plans in place incase of such an event, as they want/need to make a profit. It just seems like MA has washed their hands of the game and are just hoping to sit back and reap in the profits, however, the main flaw in their plan is that the Planet Partner screening isn't what it should be, they need professional bodies who know what they are doing to use the system, not just anyone (i.e. Neverdie), even putting Entropia in shops on dvd format for installation for 15$ for the game and 100 ped to start off with... that would make sense!

Wow you guys really do like to complain.
"This is hurting EU" "That is hurting EU" blah blah blah. Do any of you even play anymore or do you just come up with things to complain about? How on Earth does NI advertising affect you? You think you can do better? Then go prove it, become a planet partner and make a better planet and advertise it better.
You think your a better business man then David Post? What companies have you founded? How many millions of dollars has your company made?

Rant over

lol yeah that was the lamest vidoe ever... showed all the bad sides of the graphics, the chose a noon clothed ava when they could have picked something cool... the roll playing and setting of their show made me think this guy was holding a speech to an empty hall and they showed nothing exciting about the game at all... but that's allright because they have time travling!!!! oh right that is shit atm and you could probably buy a moped to your son or daughter insted if going to ancient greece

if this was my first impression of the game i would have stoped when the guy started with his lifelong dream and the tacky background... probably thinking this was a reupload of monkey island

and you know what? timesplitters had time travling and monkeys

i love this game so much and this video hurts my soul thinking how shitty they made it sound... even shitty as far as NI goes

Wow you guys really do like to complain.
"This is hurting EU" "That is hurting EU" blah blah blah. Do any of you even play anymore or do you just come up with things to complain about? How on Earth does NI advertising affect you? You think you can do better? Then go prove it, become a planet partner and make a better planet and advertise it better.
You think your a better business man then David Post? What companies have you founded? How many millions of dollars has your company made?

Rant over

What did you see that was good about that video then?

Oh and as for how much ive made compared to David Post............... lets not get into that :lolup: :laugh:

Taken from the example of this trailer, id get 10000 times more excited about that then about whatever those guys were trying to convey in that Next Island Demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0RuR3FREFw&feature=related

Potential players need to be excited and impressed, potential investors need to be impressed and told how profitable it is.

If that was a demo for investment they failed by saying nothing about figures, except they will maybe be advertising for 10million people in a way they never really explained how they were going to do it.

They failed on all accounts on successful advertising in my oppinion, unless ofcourse they indended to make the game look like shit?

had eu´s promo vid been done in a similar way (perhaps of the battle on the old log in screen man vs robo (can't find it but i'm sure you all know which one))

that would have been simply pure epic

What did you see that was good about that video then?

Oh and as for how much ive made compared to David Post............... lets not get into that :lolup: :laugh:

I said in the earlier post that it wasn't the greatest. How that video is "ruining EU" for people on Calypso doesn't make sense. Any new players brought in by that video would probably not even relies Calypso existed. I've meet several new players on NI who did not know about the other planets or that you could travel from one to the other. So I really fail to see how bad advertising for NI affects Calypso. And it's always the same people coming up with some obscure little thing that is ruining EU. ND is ruining EU, other planets are ruining EU. MA is ruining EU. Bad advertisements are ruining EU. Lag is ruining EU. Vehicles are ruining EU. VU 10 ruined EU.
It's same people over and over again. The one thing they haven't considered in their "ruin list" is that negative forums also ruin MMO's.

Definitely missed the opportunity to show hunting and mining there.

Hunting, mining? The important part was there - "Can I have some more peds for a better outfit?" Thats the important part. If this is what they are targeting, then a lot of wallets masquerading as husbands will be providing lots of peds for virtual cloths and drinkets. Cheaper than real and you don't have to go shopping either.

Maybe NI is aimed for the casual player and Calypso is for the hardcore. Its only a debut. Those guys have a vision. Its gonna take time before they achieve their goal. But when complete, maybe it'll make sense. For now it looks like a diamond in the rough. With nervous people talking about it.

This is more what would excite a potential new audience / investors:

http://vimeo.com/3854991

(and that was pre CryEngine 2)

Hope Danielle doesnt mind. :)

"Can I have some more peds for a better outfit?" Thats the important part. If this is what they are targeting, then a lot of wallets masquerading as husbands will be providing lots of peds for virtual cloths and drinkets.

This might be a great opportunity for the fashion crafting and design professions, IF Next Island succeeds in attracting its target audience.

How on Earth does NI advertising affect you?

I said in the earlier post that it wasn't the greatest. How that video is "ruining EU" for people on Calypso doesn't make sense. Any new players brought in by that video would probably not even relies Calypso existed. I've meet several new players on NI who did not know about the other planets or that you could travel from one to the other.

Are you seriously this stupid or just trolling/pretending? :scratch2:

If people see bad advertizing for Next Island, of course those people might stay away from Entropia as a whole, including Calypso.

New players not knowing about other planets just makes it freaking worse, then they will just assume that all of the game is like what they see there.

OF COURSE THINGS THAT HAPPENS ON ONE PLANET WILL AFFECT ALL PLANETS TO SOME DEGREE.

I said in the earlier post that it wasn't the greatest. How that video is "ruining EU" for people on Calypso doesn't make sense. Any new players brought in by that video would probably not even relies Calypso existed. I've meet several new players on NI who did not know about the other planets or that you could travel from one to the other. So I really fail to see how bad advertising for NI affects Calypso. And it's always the same people coming up with some obscure little thing that is ruining EU. ND is ruining EU, other planets are ruining EU. MA is ruining EU. Bad advertisements are ruining EU. Lag is ruining EU. Vehicles are ruining EU. VU 10 ruined EU.
It's same people over and over again. The one thing they haven't considered in their "ruin list" is that negative forums also ruin MMO's.

Well unless im super hungover or pissed off i try not to be as negative as i have been in the past, sometimes i intend to respond to things and find that it is enough to let out my frustrations by merely typing out my feelings and then hit delete!

The point here is only that the presentation was lacking to say the least!

and to say more......IT WAS FUCKING SHITE! and a wasted opportunity :yup:

Its not like anyone pointed out that the woman in it was wearing a red leather jacket from the 80s or that Mr Post was as enigmatic as a bit of fluff left over in one of the pockets of said jacket now is it! :tongue2:

The one thing they haven't considered in their "ruin list" is that negative forums also ruin MMO's.

So let`s just always pretend everything is great and criticize people for complaining. It seems to be your main job. So much so I`d almost swear you are a plant in these forums.

Anyhow yeah not a very enthusiastic or comprehensive presentation. And above all I hope they don`t even think about doing a real press release until they get the planet running properly with a market for goods and sort that time travel fiasco out. My avatar sits on Next Island now waiting. But I`d rather wait a year before seeing new people and doing nothing than watching the flood gates open to a bunch of people that come to find the only place they are traveling is to the revive terminal and to other planets so they can sell their stuff without the auction fees and transport costs where they would probably stay because there are actually people there. In the meantime I`m on NI silently surviving and waiting to help it along.

Are you seriously this stupid or just trolling/pretending? :scratch2:

If people see bad advertizing for Next Island, of course those people might stay away from Entropia as a whole, including Calypso.

New players not knowing about other planets just makes it freaking worse, then they will just assume that all of the game is like what they see there.

OF COURSE THINGS THAT HAPPENS ON ONE PLANET WILL AFFECT ALL PLANETS TO SOME DEGREE.

Am I that stupid or am I just trolling? I'm not the one flinging insults.

Things that happen on one planet will affect others? NI is aiming at a completely different demographic then Calypso. NI could be completely ready and that video could have been perfect and the majority of Calypso's target audience would still stay away.
Calypso-aimed at serious gammers
NI-Aimed at casual gamers and whatever you call the people who play WoW.

It's SDS's job to advertise for Calypso, not NI's job.

So let`s just always pretend everything is great and criticize people for complaining. It seems to be your main job. So much so I`d almost swear you are a plant in these forums.

No need to pretend everything is great. Useless complaints create a negative forum. Complaints need to be followed with suggestions or they where useless. Saying "I could do better" is not a suggestion, how would you do better?
See if you follow a complaint with a suggestion people concentrate less on complaining about the same issue and more on suggesting fixes, thus creating a more positive atmosphere.

This is more what would excite a potential new audience / investors:

http://vimeo.com/3854991

(and that was pre CryEngine 2)

Hope Danielle doesnt mind. :)

Yes, something like this would have made an excellent promotion video. Maybe the PP should ask the players to make one for their planets. Make it as a contest and the best one is shown.

You guys act like this was ACTUALLY aired on CNN. But, it wasn't. Seriously, what the hell Demo.com?

Not exactly impressive, but at least they're trying which is more than can be said for other existing planet partners as far as I can tell.

Things that happen on one planet will affect others? NI is aiming at a completely different demographic then Calypso. NI could be completely ready and that video could have been perfect and the majority of Calypso's target audience would still stay away.

It would still affect other planets. Your inability to see this makes the discussion pointless so nevermind.

Yes, something like this would have made an excellent promotion video. Maybe the PP should ask the players to make one for their planets. Make it as a contest and the best one is shown.

Didn't MA do that way back when they were still the only company, for Calypso?

Not exactly impressive, but at least they're trying which is more than can be said for other existing planet partners as far as I can tell.

True :)

You guys act like this was ACTUALLY aired on CNN. But, it wasn't. Seriously, what the hell Demo.com?

Its a live presentation! to erm..... ya know other live people who in the main had no idea about this universe of ours! and recorded for erm.... other people to see! and is on youtube which erm..... is seen by lots of other people! yah get the point here or what?:confused:

did they notice what they show of the game do not work ?
like when they put BP and there is that server wait thingy ...
it looks very ....
jep, had been fun if they had actually had the resources
bp needs to be in the bp book to craft i think :p

ah well

they just concentrated on graphics anyway, like "look my pretty hair"
strange presentation

Not one of MindArk's nerfs ever turned me off of Entropia Universe like that video just did. Bleh.

Didn't MA do that way back when they were still the only company, for Calypso?

I remember some thing like that. And wasn't the one shown here that Danielle did for a contest?

But were they actually used for promotion? Advertised?

How many millions of dollars has your company made?

Rant over

I dunno exactly how much money I've made in the past. I mean I made my first million probably by the age of 19. However, when I was 23 I was left with $400 personal and $200 hygene products. All the rest I was required to PROVE that it wasn't purchased or earned via proceeds of crime. That being said..... I'm sure my "company" probably turned profits of somewhere in the neighborhood of maybe 10 Million over the course of 4 years. (Too bad that wasn't all Menace's profit or I'd have a million or two stashed somewhere for rainy days).

Menace

I remember some thing like that. And wasn't the one shown here that Danielle did for a contest?

But were they actually used for promotion? Advertised?

Type "Entropia Let it rock" into youtube.com and you'll see many of the entries for the competiion back in 2009.

Ahaaaaa! El huevo!!!!!11!!!1 :eyecrazy::confused::wise:

Marketing Tip #135765 Never interrupt applause. Even if you're not done. Seriously, just ..... don't...... do..... it.

Whatever you still need to communicate works equally well as an encore (not that I am suggesting that video prompted one, however... work with me here.)

I really did enjoy the part where you hear them enjoying the genius of their "hair flick trick". Gave the whole thing a kind of "On The Set" feel.

Sad to say, that was the highlight of a rather stilted presentation. Preceding commentors have referenced the avant garde deployment of a "game content void" in the visual aids, so I shall content myself simply to nod in agreement of their astute judgement.

"I weep for the species" - Preed (Titan AE).

*Oh ya.... and it's always "Old guys behind the screens, tits&ass on stage"...... it just works better that way.

Last edited:
Back