Would you enjoy hunting more if there were more different animations?

Ludvig|MindArk

MindArk Official
Staff member
Admin
MindArk Official
Formerly "Foeburner Nighthawk Delta"
Right now, there are many complains about repeatative hunting... So in my opinion, MindArk should work with making it less so :) this may make it much more fun :D

EDIT: I was going to have a Yes/No poll to this but I forgot, so just post your comments :duh:

EDIT2: Please do not talk about loot and cost to play in this thread, I want to keep the discussion about how the fun of the game can be improved gameplay-wise in this particular thread.

Guns
I am not really sure how you could add variation to gun use, but I assume more different sounds and such could help? :dunno: suggestions?

MindForce
As for MindForce, it is different depending on chip use. Combustive and Corrosive use the right hand to fling fire/acid on the mob... Cryogenic, Lacerating, Kinetic and Electric use both hands.

A nice change could be that the avatar uses one hand for regular hits and both hands when you get a crit :) the avatar could then shift back and forth between which hand is used to "fire" the attack to give a bit of variation.

Could also move the arm in different ways when using the attack (from in front of the chest, from the side, over the shoulder, etc)

Melee
Powerfists could be remade so they actually cover both your hands, allowing more different attack animations (uppercuts could be the "critical hit" animation maybe? a kick could be the "critical hit" animation if Martial Arts is unlocked?)

Blades and clubs could also get quite a lot of variation which would at least make me like it more. Maybe some animations could even be unlocked by reaching higher levels? :)

Some inspiration (less jumping and throwing than in the clip from Jedi Outcast tho I guess lol):

So what do you think? Would more different animations, moves and maybe even sound make it more fun to hunt? :)

Last edited:
So what do you think? Would more different animations, moves and maybe even sound make it more fun to hunt? :)

I don't think that'll have significan't impact... MA needs to address the core issre first...what you are suggesting are all superficial issues..

Having said that we need some improvement in avatar appearace, like facial expression eye ball movements, blinking etc.

Last edited:
I tend to agree simple animations for avatars would make things more interesting. Combat rolls, crouch, commando crawl, dive right and left, jump and kick....shit we have a skill for Martial Arts yet there are no animations or combat advantage.
As far as coding goes, we already have some emotions and animations available, but we could really do with some avatar specific updates! It cant be that hard surely? But MA never listens so there will be no changes :(

I tend to agree simple animations for avatars would make things more interesting. Combat rolls, crouch, commando crawl, dive right and left, jump and kick....shit we have a skill for Martial Arts yet there are no animations or combat advantage.
As far as coding goes, we already have some emotions and animations available, but we could really do with some avatar specific updates! It cant be that hard surely? But MA never listens so there will be no changes :(

We cant even sit down on the ground any more. ;)

We cant even sit down on the ground any more. ;)

LOL it was there b4, why is MA not re-introducing it?
I guess MA doesn't want us sit and do chatting! Instead they want us keep decaying...:laugh:.

MA dont ya see the posibillty here?

create battle boots that can be used with power fists and and let them go and eff up mobs chuck norris style! :laugh::rolleyes:

actually..i like the repetitive grindingfest

I think adding lots of newbie dungeons, bosses, goals, missions etc. would have more effect than new gun animations or sounds.

I don't think that'll have significan't impact... MA needs to address the core issre first...what you are suggesting are all superficial issues..

In my opinion it would have an impact on the feel you have while hunting... which core issues do you mean in particular?

I think adding lots of newbie dungeons, bosses, goals, missions etc. would have more effect than new gun animations or sounds.

Yeah but still, wouldn't it then be more fun to do those dungeous, bosses, missions, etc if you had more animations and a feeling of actually doing anything instead of just point and click? :)

In my opinion it would have an impact on the feel you have while hunting... which core issues do you mean in particular?
:)

Cost to play to go down.. and a little bit less extremes of loot..

Having said that I can see the MU of things are coming down slowly ... that's a good sign...
And advertising to bring in new players..

I'm not against what you are saying... i'm just asking for prioritization!

And as far as animation goes... who can deny the addiction for the sounds and swirls of an HOF :)

Yeah but still, wouldn't it then be more fun to do those dungeous, bosses, missions, etc if you had more animations and a feeling of actually doing anything instead of just point and click? :)

Maybe a few more animations and effects than there is now but it won't do much.. maybe if there was some sort of skills or combos it would make hunting more interesting but i don't know how that could be done in good way in game like this.

also maybe off-topic but i think it is bad that there is hardly any trading at starter areas anymore as far as i can tell.

Cost to play to go down.. and a little bit less extremes of loot..

Yes, this is one of the issues I have been very much against (cost to play and too many ups-and-downs).

However, I do not feel that particular issue is really on topic in this thread, as this thread is about how to make hunting more fun gameplay-wise rather... loot balancing is another type of issue than the one I want to discuss here :)

The arkadian ark-10 makes a different sound each time you fire it.. It's supposedly a bug, but I like it a lot!

Its sad to talk about improving the look of weapons or anything else because MA wont do it! I would love to have the ability to tear down a weapon and re attach different parts even color those parts. Look at the horrible armour vests in this game ? They all have a different name yet their all the same ? How lame is that! And the few sets with a quality design are to expensive accept for the 5%.
I would like to see MA sell the works to someone with the ability to add such things instead of thinking about more ways to make it cost more for all of us to play.
Single mobs walking around in the middle of nowhere with "special" loot would be a nice change.
I have to stop thinking about it now because i know its a waist of brain power .

People would play pong if it would be RCE and actually giving out money... :evilking:

People would play pong if it would be RCE and actually giving out money... :evilking:

People do play Pong without it being an RCE, because it's a classic and addictive :silly2:

nobody liek mah ideas? :(

jk:yay:

Would you enjoy hunting more if there were more different animations?

no, for me it will make no difference.
I would prefer a pacman style or even a pre gold pre project entropia graphic and no animation at all but have better return.

I have to agree with Dr. D.C. any new animations would make little difference to my enjoyment of EU atm. Once you've seen the animation a few thousand times (which you will in EU) you won't even notice it anymore or it will be so aggravating and annoying you'll avoid it.

If for instance a death animation was added to a mob which you had to sit through to able to loot it how long would it take for that to become so annoying you'd avoid them. How many of us loot a mob before it's even hit the ground.

I played a game called Star Ocean and once you've gotten past the low level stuff and can kill the high level monsters having to go through the whole hassle of the animations to kill the low level ones again which then lasts about 1/2 second and you take no active part in (due to the AI party members) they just become annoying so you avoid them.

Some of the best fps don't have that many different animations, I completed GOW2 & 3 the other day and it was the game play that kept me going not the animations of the weapons. I've seen plenty of HL2 mods get bogged down by trying to be realistic with the weaponry models and effects that they never got finished, they didn't need to be realistic or high in detail as most people will see them once or twice and then never take any notice again. All that matters for a game is if it's fun to play.

I got the 'you haven't logged in for a while' email a few days ago so that should tell you something, I'm too busy playing games that are fun and give a variation in gameplay not a repetitive strain injury.

Personally getting rid of the some of the time delayers would be better. Equiping armor takes too long, we should be able to switch the whole set in one go not take nearly a minute. If I'm hunting in my gremlin and a bot attacks me I want to switch to my Vigilante 6A in one go with one delay not seven and die in the process. Let us give our armor sets a quick equip key so that we can equip seven pieces in one go.

For instance three quick armor tabs, we can place any armor pieces we want in each tab and can assign it to a key just like weapons and actions.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Dr. D.C. any new animations would make little difference to my enjoyment of EU atm. Once you've seen the animation a few thousand times (which you will in EU) you won't even notice it anymore or it will be so aggravating and annoying you'll avoid it.

If for instance a death animation was added to a mob which you had to sit through to able to loot it how long would it take for that to become so annoying you'd avoid them. How many of us loot a mob before it's even hit the ground.

I played a game called Star Ocean and once you've gotten past the low level stuff and can kill the high level monsters having to go through the whole hassle of the animations to kill the low level ones again which then lasts about 1/2 second and you take no active part in (due to the AI party members) they just become annoying so you avoid them.

Some of the best fps don't have that many different animations, I completed GOW2 & 3 the other day and it was the game play that kept me going not the animations of the weapons. I've seen plenty of HL2 mods get bogged down by trying to be realistic with the weaponry models and effects that they never got finished, they didn't need to be realistic or high in detail as most people will see them once or twice and then never take any notice again. All that matters for a game is if it's fun to play.

I got the 'you haven't logged in for a while' email a few days ago so that should tell you something, I'm too busy playing games that are fun and give a variation in gameplay not a repetitive strain injury.

Personally getting rid of the some of the time delayers would be better. Equiping armor takes too long, we should be able to switch the whole set in one go not take nearly a minute. If I'm hunting in my gremlin and a bot attacks me I want to switch to my Vigilante 6A in one go with one delay not seven and die in the process. Let us give our armor sets a quick equip key so that we can equip seven pieces in one go.

For instance three quick armor tabs, we can place any armor pieces we want in each tab and can assign it to a key just like weapons and actions.

very nice and constructive
bravo :wtg:

in a lot of facebook games there's now buttons that say something like "skip to end" so you don't have to sit through the animation battle... now that instances are here, some of which may become solo adventures, maybe ma could do something like that. The auto tool is the first step towards that type of thing.

Animations?

Nah, what we need is......

Dismembered body parts!

Tons of gore (not Al)!

Great big gouts of gut-wrenching blood pouring from wounded mobs!

Battered and bloodied armour and avatars!

That would hold the concentration!!

said not entirely seriously but not entirely flippantly either!

About gun improvement, why not dual-pistol :yay:

In order to counter the overpower of dual-pistol, we can increase the level requirement for the pistol. For example: level 20 to be used as single gun, but level 30 is required to be used with other pistol as a dual. It's 2 different professions in one gun, and don't tell me that it's not doable. Look at Mining Finder, THREE PROFESSIONS in a SINGLE TOOL.

Animations?

Dismembered body parts!

Tons of gore (not Al)!

THATS WHAT WE NEED! :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Animations?

Dismembered body parts!

Tons of gore (not Al)!

Certain countries hold this against the law so MA will not be able to globel as much as they like.

Certain countries hold this against the law so MA will not be able to globel as much as they like.

Indeed that is the reason MA removed blood in the first place

Too much work with very low importance. MA has to pay salaries and those aren't minimal wages either. It's a waste of time, since they could be doing something more important in the meantime.

Too much work with very low importance. MA has to pay salaries and those aren't minimal wages either. It's a waste of time, since they could be doing something more important in the meantime.

Such as? in what way do YOU think gameplay should be improved then?

Such as? in what way do YOU think gameplay should be improved then?

Didn't MA post a roadmap of 2012 quite some time ago? I think they are busy all 2012 and taming was something like "hopefully in 2012"?

Back