Info: Screenshots of the updated Athene/Zephyrus area [WIP]

Looks good Kim...cheers...keep on grinding away at it. I'm looking forward to the new additions. :cool:

Those cliffs look so unclimbable...

I don't like a "hard to climb" scenery.

Magic.
Even is not so similar but it remind me pre VU10 path from twin passed daiki area to tant, ara and ambu place and further to armax, wariors and trox area at oil rig.
Ofc as was seen by runing there ( before vehicles ).

I hope you will not remake the whole place ! I mean that Athena area and arounds are unique and it would be very sad to erase all this work...

I second that. Where else do we have a city in the sky like this? And also I suppose it means getting rid of the last cool architecture we were introduced to in VU 10? It would be a shame!

I second that. Where else do we have a city in the sky like this? And also I suppose it means getting rid of the last cool architecture we were introduced to in VU 10? It would be a shame!

Maybe Kim can tell us if he intends to keep the architectural style at least? :dunno: I am guessing it would help at least some people worry less :)

took about a second to look at this and utter a low whistle...Very nice, Kim. (glad I have the gfx card to handle this ;) )

:topic:

Please stick to the thread topic.

If you have feedback directly related to the content shared by Kim|Calypso in the opening post, then by all means please feel free to share your opinion.

This thread is not about soliciting feedback regarding the Calypso dev team's development roadmap or priorities.

Posts along the lines of "Why are you working on this instead of xxxxxx, or xxxxxx?!?!" are off topic, and will be removed.

By the way, judging from the jeep color I assume it is a CDF one? :cool:

It's not a real vehicle its just an entity in the sandbox editor.

Ah well but it looks like its the same color, or close to it? ^^ as the helicopter I mean...

Kim, will the Athena style be reused in the remake?

Ah well but it looks like its the same color, or close to it? ^^ as the helicopter I mean...

Kim, will the Athena style be reused in the remake?

No I don't think so, I want to bring back the old project entropia "frontier" feel and those buildings don't fit in. Think more in the lines of hangar / medusas head / triton style.

Reactions: Ido
No I don't think so, I want to bring back the old project entropia "frontier" feel and those buildings don't fit in. Think more in the lines of hangar / medusas head / triton style.

Hmm true I guess, but I do feel it should be used somewhere since it does seem to be really popular? :dunno:

Anyways, I am personally all for bringing back the colonisation feel as long as it doesn't go to far and we at least have some larger cities :)

If you turn down the texture settings, do the cliffs disappear like the docks at Cape Corinth do?

If you turn down the texture settings, do the cliffs disappear like the docks at Cape Corinth do?

No, things only disappear if we have specified that they should only be rendered on certain system settings. Disabling objects like that doesn't help much, the real resource hogger is procedural stuff like grass and pebbles. Seeing a lot of terrain at the same time is also terrible for performance.

No, things only disappear if we have specified that they should only be rendered on certain system settings. Disabling objects like that doesn't help much, the real resource hogger is procedural stuff like grass and pebbles. Seeing a lot of terrain at the same time is also terrible for performance.

Yes, lots of grass make my video card sound like a hair dryer. It would be nice if something could be done about that. The only way I can fix that is to go into the settings-ce.cfg file and set e_proc_vegetation = 0, which I think we are not supposed to do, but I don't like my vid card screaming... Either that or put a general setting very low which makes a bunch of the rest of the game look crappy.

Yes, lots of grass make my video card sound like a hair dryer. It would be nice if something could be done about that. The only way I can fix that is to go into the settings-ce.cfg file and set e_proc_vegetation = 0, which I think we are not supposed to do, but I don't like my vid card screaming... Either that or put a general setting very low which makes a bunch of the rest of the game look crappy.

This is one of the reasons why flat terrain isn't really very good. If you add some variations in the heightmap you can get away with having a lower view distance ratio on the procedural vegetation which in turn improves performance.

The feeling I got from the golfcourse town, athena and vu10.0 port atlantis, was that the type of architecture came from a previous civlisation.

Sure, some things like golf flags were likely to have been placed there by bored "colonists"; but the style of the pillars, the markings/decorations of them, the use of high pillars suggests that they were left by a higher form of civilisation that had been there just until recently.
The patterns on the ground and the stais in the (cyclops) vulcano also suggests that the area has been a sacred ground.

There were some areas on calypso that wasn't towns created by humans but anyway somehow hinted that those areas had been used, though probably likely by humans before the robot war; the fields north of Fort Troy looks like a giant agricultural fam with the armax, and the "ponds" east of Zychion which could have been a rest from an old water energy plant. In VU9. we had the "orbs" that somehow was connected to umbranoids (and could have been the result of collaboration between them and a totall uknown, possibly alient, species), and a bit more spiritually, the statue on the 512m hill.

As for the original question, the redesign of the area, those four images didn't tell me much. To really have a feeling you must know how the area is holding together, how the spawns are like and things like that. And, if some key uses of the area today will be removed (pretty much, ability to get quickly to space from Athena and the foul/fuga hunting areas). One area next to this area is a small lake that glows from a ditance with a stone formation in the middle, I guess it would be fun to know if that feature will be developed (sonic squids in teh water? cave? "cave instance" entrance?) or just run over with a bulldozer, for something differernt (possibly better).

Keeping vu9 in mind, maybe the area is supposd to be a bit like the desert around (old) oil rig, with mobs like atrox. (pvp1 and pvp2 both had areas with desert, atrox and molisks). Pandora desert was more atrax, and hidden away a bit in a hole an lush umbranoid village (it was easy to miss it if you didn't look for it). In that area there was also a kind of vulcanic landscape in middle of nowhere, with (if I remember right) exos in it, and canyons in the south part of the vulcanic landscape with blue-glowing ground. (That vulcanic area wasn't as big as a server area, it was more say 1/4 the size of atlas haven island.)

Last edited:
When redesigning athena keep in mind that one thing that makes it usefull as a space port is how high up it is and in turn, how close it is to the height needed to enter space...

When redesigning athena keep in mind that one thing that makes it usefull as a space port is how high up it is and in turn, how close it is to the height needed to enter space...

Indeed... also, maybe some large landing platform(s) the size of those in Ithaca could be good to help make it easier to spawn big ships like Quads?

As detailed in my suggestion for Athena improvement in this thread: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?213739

You completely missed my point.... {removed}

Let me rephrase: Why do some people see one version of Cape Corinth and others see a completely different one (one with docks and one without). Docks, in theory, are a place to park the fantastic boats, right? But if you can't see the docks....?
It's completely ridiculous that people's game experience changes THAT MUCH just for texture quality settings. If you care so little about it, why haven't you REMOVED whatever {removed} buggy texture exists at Naval Base Triton that makes it the single laggiest location anywhere?

Last edited by a moderator:
:cry:

I love the currenty style of Athena. Sureley Calypso is large enough to allow some diversity in styles, not every part needs to be the same feel?

:cry:

I love the current style of Athena. Surely Calypso is large enough to allow some diversity in styles, not every part needs to be the same feel?

I agree.
I had first impression that Kim will improve surrounding area, with upgrading usability of Athena.
Now it looks like Athena will disappear completely... ;/

Yes, there is enough space to create other 'more frontier style' places, so why destroying one that is nice and liked by many?

Back