3D Me... VU# ???

BudBug

Old
Society
Antipodean Army
Bud Lovin
Had a thought .. yes i ran out of weed last night

How long or what VU do you think we will be able to go to a digital photographic studio, get a 3D Model of yourself stored on DVD. Take the image home and be able to upload and use it as an avatar... ?

A perfect reproduction of oneself ! ! !

Just 1 quick example, just random page about 3d human modeling.

http://www.inspeck.com/pages/full-body.html

Yeah, ummmmmm :scratch2: What they said :wise:

There are some reasons people want to recreate themselves with a virtual image! :laugh:

If you want to walk around as "yourself" then put down the pipe, and turn off the computer, dude! :silly2:

The basic tech will be available quicker then you might think, and you probably wont have to go to a special studio, just take a couple of photos of yourself in different angles...

But when it comes to EU?
will take a lot longer...

lots of issues there, both technical and "political"...

You will be able to upload your personal 3D model into the orbs. After the upload is complete, the orb will open and you step inside to transform into your new self. ;)

Basic technology for transforming images into 3d faces have existed for quite some time now; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ452SFLx20

I don't think it would be too hard to enable similar tech inside EU, the upload could be done via a special terminal in-game, or perhaps via a beauty professional.

In theory you can do it allready, however it is quite costly and the amount of data is also a problem.

So, the requirements for this to happen, besides MA implementing it, is:

1. Easy and affordable access to facilities where you can have you 3D image taken.

2. fast enough internet or a very effective compression algorithm.

A solution to the second problem could be to implement it on top of the already existing system, such that those who do not have a good enough internet connection or just doesn't feel the need to view people real life image, can choose not to.

hahahaha common man think of how many from eu would like to show their fat faces in game lol
but anyway that would be a chalange for some to accept that they only have good looking avas:D and virtual skills :D
sry about u running out of weed though:) usualy this kind of ideeas come with loades of weed:p

It does actually exist...

The basic tech will be available quicker then you might think, and you probably wont have to go to a special studio, just take a couple of photos of yourself in different angles...

But when it comes to EU?
will take a lot longer...

lots of issues there, both technical and "political"...

The technology DOES already exist and has for a long time... but I highly doubt MA will implenent it in EU anytime soon...

For many years, people have been using software to put their own avatars in Doom, Quake, and other games... and with software like I-Modeller, and D-Sculptor you can create your own lifelike images... although, the results are not that great for animation purposes... the tech is getting better... currently, you can basically use something like I Modeller or Dsculptor and create the 3d image of your self based on a set of photos taken by someone else or a bunch of cameras you have set to auto flash you that are all on tripods surrounding the base you are standing on. I messed with this technology a while back and actually have a free version of Dsculptor that I got from a 3d world magazine a long while back, and actually purchased I modeller a few years ago since I was going to try to use it to set up a business... where I'd take photos of people and make their avatars, which then were put in to game engines, or alternatively in to stuff like 3d art to part, which prints 3d images as a mini-sculpture sort of... but I found I didn't have the time to really do it as a business and the costs were just too high to get a really good studio going. If I had a hundred grand or so saved back, I'd definitely think about it again, and maybe throw in a good mocap/green screen studio alongside of it to boot.

The 3D photo is possible (not manipulation of a 2D photo, I mean), but upload it as a model compatible to EU graphics and mechanics, for time being, I don't see possible. Or in any game for that matter.

It would imply a live streamline between the enduser and the graphical backbone and also an online feature of the graphical engine of EU and oh my lol.

for ourselves like other say above let virtual reality stay unreal.

but for people like say Lemmy of Motor Head this couild be cool if Lemmy really looked like Lemmy ingame.

One thing I know for sure...

Weed will get you through times of no 3d Human Modelling better than 3d Human Modelling will get you through times of no weed.

:kos:

what you all doing eating Weed:scratch2:

man eat some proper food like pizza :D

If you had to use a representation of your RL self there would be a hell of a lot of extra female armor in game. :laugh:

lool nice comment

lol, you poor bastard budbug, come up to the sunshine coast and I will happiliy shout you some weed mate.

You see what happens ppl when gamers run out, let this be a lesson to all of yas!! poor bugger jabbering on like a madman

lol

Yeah, ummmmmm :scratch2: What they said :wise:

There are some reasons people want to recreate themselves with a virtual image! :laugh:

If you want to walk around as "yourself" then put down the pipe, and turn off the computer, dude! :silly2:

hmmm...even though it may sound quite funny, there are some people that do not share the common schizophrenia and really do want to have their ava look like they do in RL. Even worse, their avas also behaves like themself :D
And I must admit, I am one of those.
Maybe it's because virtual reality is one of the places I can still run around sober :D

I can understand, why some need to flee from their real self, but one should not laugh about those that do not need that and are quite centred with themselves.
Especially narcists that simply know that they look great :D

sorry about the weed dude but as far as technology goes it has reached far beyond what your talking about its just not at general public hands as it costs to much :eyecrazy:

what you all doing eating Weed:scratch2:

man eat some proper food like pizza :D

This man speaks the truth xD

weed is just for people needing to escape reality eve when a virtual world aint enough :p

ass for ontopic:

I doubt it will ever happen in any game ever. That is quite ignorant to say since it will be possible probably not in to far away, and someone will try it i am sure. but theres so many factors that stops it from happening.

The most important beeing problems already existing without having to know the other person.

Bullying is just one example that comes into mind that will be strong to stop it.

my two pecs :p

Mika;1900157The most important beeing problems already existing without having to know the other person. Bullying is just one example that comes into mind that will be strong to stop it. my two pecs :P[/QUOTE said:
For some, the escape from reality is what keeps that problem confined to RL.
For others, it is the exact opposite.
In RL nobody dares to bully me :D

In theory you can do it allready, however it is quite costly and the amount of data is also a problem.

So, the requirements for this to happen, besides MA implementing it, is:

1. Easy and affordable access to facilities where you can have you 3D image taken.

2. fast enough internet or a very effective compression algorithm.

A solution to the second problem could be to implement it on top of the already existing system, such that those who do not have a good enough internet connection or just doesn't feel the need to view people real life image, can choose not to.

1. You don't need special facilities, there exists algorithms to extract 3D data from photos, that you could use at home with a decent camera and even lighting.

2. the resulting model doesn't have to be more detailed then the models used today, a problem though is all the custom textures you need to transfer when you meet new people. But you can download those in the background, and show a default texture (same as today) before its loaded. And for most encounters you have some time to do that before they are close enough for the custom texture to be needed.

Tech is there already today, but its still pretty much research tech, so quite some work to get into the system, and a lot of people wouldn't want to look like themselves anyhow...
So for EU it won't happen until the tech is commoditized, and in widespread use in other places, maybe someone selling it for integration in game engines.

Back