A community built planet.

Would you help build a planet if you could?

• Yes

Votes: 56 51.4%
  • No

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Gimme EFD

Votes: 29 26.6%

• Total voters

djomen

Guardian
Society
Knights Templar NF
DJ Master Omen
I noticed the topic kinda swaying. So i thought i would cheesily try for a big fat thread here.

refering to some of the stuff in https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...universe-planet-development-kit-software.html

I put this in wishlist cause I am wishing for this to happen and i know the talent is here.

voted yes by the way.. ill help any way i can to be part of something this big... great idea.. wish i had come up with it

:reserved for names of ppl willing to get this thing going:

Last edited:
what, like the "Planet Postmoderna" project? :silly2:

what, like the "Planet Postmoderna" project? :silly2:

if it were me, it would be planet post-apocolopsia... but im assuming there would be great deleberation and much voting before a specific direction would take place

quietly clicking the link:ahh:

Thanks all for indirectly supporting our project

Hiya all,

Thanks for indirectly supporting our project.

Now I don't quite get the post-apocolopsia slant but no matter. :)

If you want to follow us just join our Facebook Fan Group and LinkedIn Group as well as follow our blog.

Best,

Flap

Creating a planet on your own is one thing. Though, you'd still need to comply with the rules defined by MA. I'm not sure what the "community built planet" should have or not have but it might not work out as nice and neat as you expect.

Wait so anyone can create a planet??

I am curious about what a 'community built' planet could offer the playerbase other than different mobs and different landscapes. Seeing as all else (loot, percentages etc) is controlled by MA.

Surely it would be Calypso by any other name?

I am curious about what a 'community built' planet could offer the playerbase other than different mobs and different landscapes. Seeing as all else (loot, percentages etc) is controlled by MA.

Surely it would be Calypso by any other name?

It would allow the community to come up with an original storyline, events, weapons/tools (to a certain extent, I'm sure). But control of the design alone would be nice. I mean, how cool would it be to have a tp at every block :laugh:? Land areas, houses, shops, etc could be dirt cheap.

Wait so anyone can create a planet??

Yes, but you have to bring in a big influx of new, non entropia players.
Also the problem is that you cannot have your own gameconcept. the engine, including the loot system is dictated by Mindark. Also half of what you earn, goes straight into Mindark's pockets.
You can have your own designed planet though, but the game mechanics will be the same.

To become a planet partner you will most likely need loads of money (millions)...

Yes, but you have to bring in a big influx of new, non entropia players.
Also the problem is that you cannot have your own gameconcept. the engine, including the loot system is dictated by Mindark. Also half of what you earn, goes straight into Mindark's pockets.
You can have your own designed planet though, but the game mechanics will be the same.

I disagree... Yes there are certain aspects that pre-determined.. but there is a wide flexibility in how they can be used and expanded on, layered and arranged to create something totally unique... both in terms of it's economics and game play.

Unforutnately... I don't don't see that kind of uniqueness coming from the playerbase... perhaps outsiders or the fringes of the playerbase but more than likely it will come from non-EU game players.

I don't like to sound negative, but it won't happen.

MA wants to make money of it. They can only make money if a lot players are brought in by you. The community can do some viral marketing, but a Entropia Community can't bring in so many external players.

If you compare that with a marketing budget of 500.000,-€uro (I am sure some partners will invest more), you can't do much as a community.

The planet is not the problem. The question is: how fast can you bring how many DEPOSITING players in?

That is the key part of your business plan...

I disagree... Yes there are certain aspects that pre-determined.. but there is a wide flexibility in how they can be used and expanded on, layered and arranged to create something totally unique... both in terms of it's economics and game play.

Unforutnately... I don't don't see that kind of uniqueness coming from the playerbase... perhaps outsiders or the fringes of the playerbase but more than likely it will come from non-EU game players.

Ofcourse you can disagree. I disagree to your disagreement.
(just to disagree).

(and maybe i know some things you don't)

Is there any figures out there how much money the current planet partners have paid for their planets or is that just a big mystery?

Say that I would buy a planet from MA...let's call it "Planet Low Budget"...as it would be low on gfx and mobs and loot and...just about everything else...basically not MA's top model...how much do think that would cost me?

...sry for hijacking but, hey the more planets the merrier! AS I think there should be aplanet for everyone...planet calypso just isn't big enough! :laugh:

Now...Planet Low Budget...who's with me?? :D

I would certainly help out - particularly on the design part.

I'd be in sandbox2 making some nice cities and lush stuff :wtg:

I think you underestimate the resources required to make an idea like this happen, though I do think it's a great idea, I don't think it'd be possible without everyone being localised (eg: having offices that the majority of those directly involved can readily access).

But I know you don't otherwise you would not disagree.

here's a hint: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...iverse/130903-making-partner-planet-team.html

Thanks for the info...

I have a BA in "Performance design". My final paper was an aesthetical comparative analysis of WoW and EU.

My theoretical basis is a "post-discipline of inclusions" - i try to understand and design experiences from as wide a basis as possible.

I belive my skills are pretty rare within the gaming industry.

Im also a composer and singer/songwriter, and have done some fictional writing aswell.

My biggest concern with this project would be that when u gather a team of players from one game - it might be hard to think out side the "calypso box". Especially since its probably in everyones interest to have a different hook than EU, in order to not compete solely with curren EU for players.

If anyone takes this any amount of steps forward plx PM me - feel free to ask me questions to my theoretical point of view or anything else :D

I guess i didnt word myself totally crisp....

Its not that we cant think out of the "calypso box", its more that the one thing we have in common - our calypso background - might become more of an influence on the final concepts than what might be in our interest. Its a bit like making a band with 6 Jazz musicians - almost no matter how u whip em theres gonna be some jazzyness to it.

Im not saying it has to be too much of a problem - but its something that can potentially be very hard to counter, and that could take the place of something new and brilliant.

On the other hand it might be good to see how EU players would make it - so to speak.

Interesting not one post gave an outline of what they think a new planet concept could or would be.... but maybe it's in the

Back