• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

falkao

Stalker
Society
Freelancer
Marc falkao Falk
A community mining experiment

Maybe you've followed one of the mining threads with respect to our publication and related discussions.

One issue that is still open is "How random EU is?". Therefore this little experiment.

The only thing one has to do is to
drop one bomb or one probe in an area where you know there are resources (CND excluded)
and answer in the poll if you've
got a find or not; with yes (find) or no (no find).

Hence only the first probe that you drop after reading this is relevant.

Results

A total of 133 avatars did participate and 44 of them had a find. The find rate is therefore estimated as 33.1% with a 95% CI ranging from 25.7% to 41.5%. This means that the real find rate is somewhere between those limits with a probability of 95%.

The aim of this experiment was to show that a mining find is purely random triggered according to some preset find rate. In this poll we did collect finds of different avatars. If we compare the poll result with the find rate from a mining publication were only data from 2 avatars was used we do get the following:

Fig. 1: Find rate and respective 95% confidence intervals of poll and mining publication
e54_findrate_poll.jpg

The difference between the poll find rate of 33.1% and the 27.2% of the publication is not statistically significantly different (p = .127, Chi-Square test). This can be also seen from fig. 1 as both CIs do overlap.

Discussion
This poll has several limititations. First of all it is not possible to verify answers and hence readers not aware of the problem might have answered only for fun. Furthermore, there is also the possibility for a positive reporting bias as those getting a hit might have returned more frequently to answer the poll as those that did not. In the last 10 answers for example there have been 5-7 finds.

Nevertheless, this simple experiment did show how a poll on EF can be used to assess unknown frequencies (rates).

Since we were not able to falsify the null hypothesis (the difference between both rates was not significant), we can't automatically conclude that both rates are identically. It is however, quite improbable that the still possible difference is large. For instance, to show that the observed 33.1% from this poll is significantly different from 27.2% at least 946 answers would have been needed.

Last edited:
I wonder how this one turns out...

Hope my bomb didnt choose the wrong answer :)

Let's see how it turns... :)

drop one bomb or one probe in an area where you know it has resources

Huh? All you can ever do is drop a bomb or probe in an area that you guess might have resources. Not sure I understand what you want me to do since this place doesn't exist.

Do you mean a place in the general area where resources have been found before?

Does this need to be the first bomb/probe I drop, the only bomb/probe I drop. Should I go right to this place and only do a single drop, or is this like the next one I drop and then just record it?

Do I actually have to do this or can't I just guess, because in most cases there will be no claim when a bomb or probe is dropped.

So if things are really "random" would the results of this poll be 50/50?

I look forward to seeing the results

Voted NO as the 1st bomb i did drop after reading this thread was an NRF, but i don't really see the point to analyze here.

Was that bomb a nrf because i did had a good hit rate during the 2 hours i mined before reding the thread ?

I should look in my mining logs but i think that if i make some stats on the very 1st bomb i drop each day result will be close to 50/50

well to be honest i got a NRF on my first bomb however i got 2 hits after switching to probes in the same area on the first 2 drops.

not sure if that counts at all but there ya go

Do I actually have to do this or can't I just guess, because in most cases there will be no claim when a bomb or probe is dropped.

It should be the result of the next bomb or probe you'll going to drop.

well to be honest i got a NRF on my first bomb however i got 2 hits after switching to probes in the same area on the first 2 drops.

not sure if that counts at all but there ya go

only the first one is relevant.

I should look in my mining logs but i think that if i make some stats on the very 1st bomb i drop each day result will be close to 50/50

It should be close to 27% and not 50%.

than i log on i never find resources in first probe/bomb

Okay, will do! :D I'll be right back and try this out in a zone that I know it has resources.

EDIT: Nope... NRF on first probe. :confused:

I like this experiment its funny, Ill go check now and make the vote when i dropped my first :)

Edit:
Jumped, got killed but revived at a outpost closer to the area I wanted to mine so was ok, jumped again, dropped a bomb but nothing :(

Last edited:
There are so many variables left out here that the data collected is just going to be garbage.

Such as, finder, skills, location (cnd vs planet), amps etc

You really need to hold all these constant to conclude anything with any sort of real accuracy.

There are so many variables left out here that the data collected is just going to be garbage.

You really need to hold all these constant to conclude anything with any sort of real accuracy.

There might be many variables involved, but it is not the intention of this thread to address them. That's why stats do exist, you don't need to know what's behind to be able to describe an outcome.

You for example do have a body length. There are many factors involved that did influence it. It is however possible to give a mean height for every gender.

Skills, finders, amps, location reflects only type of resourses and size of claim.
For hit rate they doesnt matter.

I love you falkao. Your experiments are actually experiments.

I'd love to collect some data for you some day.

Went to my spot, dropped a bomb, found nothing so voted no.

No hit on the first drop for me... still, got 60 PED worth of Belk on 20 ped bombs+decay, so I'm happy.

CND v. planet would definitely change the results of this experiment. Hopefully nobody will report results from CND.

my first bomb at my fav. place today, was 2 adomasit stones. started with 85 peds bombs probs, and got same peds back in ores and enmatter (tt).

CND v. planet would definitely change the results of this experiment. Hopefully nobody will report results from CND.

Thx for pointing that out. Have added this to OP.

BTW, is the find rate on CND really different?

Thx for pointing that out. Have added this to OP.

BTW, is the find rate on CND really different?

4-5% in general
8-10% in lucky days
1-2% in bad days

i tried on oil since its one of the 2 easiest things to find in EU and it worked i got a III oil

if this helps my hunting today was incredibly bad and my crafting quite good:scratch2:

thx so far for participating and I hope that we can get some more;)

Also hunters are free do drop one probe or bomb.

we do have 119 votes atm. That's quite a good number for polls over here but still low for our experiment.

Maybe you can spread some voices within soc.

I believe it is around 5%.

4-5% in general
8-10% in lucky days
1-2% in bad days

with those low find rates doing it amped would be quite risky. A large number of drops might be necessary to achieve something. Loot on CND will be also different then. I guess I mined once over there but that's for sure 2 years back.

I can't comment the results so far as the poll is still running.

However, if you decide to participate then please don't forget to come back and vote yes or no.

Last edited:
Please note that there is the possibility for a reporting bias.

It could be that the ones getting a hit will come back more often and vote yes as those that didn't get a find. Hence it is very important, that in the case you decide to participate, you do place your vote as well.

Back