Suggestion: A new start

ProActive Mango

Stalker
How about we make a new planet and remove all current planets. Armageddon happens and robots take over this universe.

Player base are forced to travel in space and make a new home on a new planet, in this planet all current PP´s have their own slice of the planet to make it their own. This will take us all back to the "fresh of the boat" feeling we all had with ALL new content and we all have zero clue what to expect with new loot systems and new gears.

Community have to work together to do missions or hunt to advance our new planet.

Would be cool :D

I am sure a new start can be had on that one game that was being made down the road from Mindark... that people forgot about... what was it again?

How about we make a new planet and remove all current planets. Armageddon happens and robots take over this universe.

Great idea, you will probably have to wait for those who value their dagger at $90,000, a gun at $70,000 or another gun at $36,000 & manage to sell them.

Most of us will be long gone before any of that happens. In fact, its happening right now! :laugh:

A new start of the old Project Entropia, maybe, if there was a way to make it sustainable without attracting all the wrong kinds of people. Opportunism is both what it lives by and what kills it.

sustainable without attracting all the wrong kinds of people.
Attracting is one thing; retaining them whilst losing others is what allows the rot to set in.
People not good for game or planet growth will always try and find angles here and there. Out in the world at large it seems to me that the most successful competitive place that has mostly the 'right kinds of people' taking part is poker. There is not just the direct focus on the game, but the relationships and respect that build between players. I think that feel to the game needs to be in whatever next environment makes it big time, where angle shooting is not given the opportunity to shine in every aspect.

Every couple of years people talk about new game that going give EU competition, but most don't even get off the starting blokes. You want to start a new game go for it, but as the old saying goes., If its not broken why fix it.

There were at least 3 major attempts, new starts in other universes, all failed. Maybe try understand this universe and make it work for you?

Let's see what happens with unreal engine upgrade.....

Attracting is one thing; retaining them whilst losing others is what allows the rot to set in.
People not good for game or planet growth will always try and find angles here and there. Out in the world at large it seems to me that the most successful competitive place that has mostly the 'right kinds of people' taking part is poker. There is not just the direct focus on the game, but the relationships and respect that build between players. I think that feel to the game needs to be in whatever next environment makes it big time, where angle shooting is not given the opportunity to shine in every aspect.
What I meant is that I see it as probably inevitable. The game, or any game in a similar vein, needs certain types of people to become financially sustainable, but those are not the types that made our old game so charming. Or in other words, one hopes to escape into a virtual world where one doesn't have to deal with certain types one doesn't like to deal with in the real world, but it's not possible given the human condition. So no, not hopeful. Everyone has to carve out one's own niche, here or anywhere else.

Great idea, you will probably have to wait for those who value their dagger at $90,000, a gun at $70,000 or another gun at $36,000 & manage to sell them.

Most of us will be long gone before any of that happens. In fact, its happening right now! :laugh:
Yes, and mindark and said players will be clueless and have to tt their stuff to make a withdraw :D

Yes, and mindark and said players will be clueless and have to tt their stuff to make a withdraw :D
Someone somewhere is indeed clueless, but not MA that's doing great nor the ones withdrawing

mango i dont know if you are a troll or need mandatory therapy :)
i will understand one day

People who are gone don't check the forums multiple times a day.

Player base are forced to travel in space and make a new home on a new planet, in this planet all current PP´s have their own slice of the planet to make it their own. This will take us all back to the "fresh of the boat" feeling we all had with ALL new content and we all have zero clue what to expect with new loot systems and new gears.

Community have to work together to do missions or hunt to advance our new planet.

Would be cool :D
Let's wait and see what MA comes up with when switching to the new graphics engine... Maybe they have a very similar idea. Remember, we may only be at the beginning of the new war with the robots........

what do you think i need help with?
joking i think you need help with your communist view of the environment
more seriously i can appreciate that you would like a lower costs to game but this is an effect of low playerbase.
it is a matter of "survival of the fittest".
people that are still here and at high level are coming from investing time and also money in the game
i find normal that someone has an advantage for this
i find strange that hyou call for a rest or for flattening hteir time spent for benefit of newcomers.

the game should provide opportunities to extract more MU at any level of combat to incentive fresh gamers
but it is a skill based game. so who built skills deserve that they have an impact

joking i think you need help with your communist view of the environment
more seriously i can appreciate that you would like a lower costs to game but this is an effect of low playerbase.
it is a matter of "survival of the fittest".
people that are still here and at high level are coming from investing time and also money in the game
i find normal that someone has an advantage for this
i find strange that hyou call for a rest or for flattening hteir time spent for benefit of newcomers.

the game should provide opportunities to extract more MU at any level of combat to incentive fresh gamers
but it is a skill based game. so who built skills deserve that they have an impact
Nah whats wrong in pointing noobs in the right direction in the start?
Dont you agree the game has too much of the old stuff in the game that is a noob trap, that makes noobs confused and end up quitting the game.
Early gameplay should be alot of missions that makes the player understand about basic stuff like crit dmg, crit, lifesteal. What the diffrent stats on a weapon means for the avatar. ( it dont have to explain the entire loot system but a basic understanding).

We should help the noobs out instead of this Hunger games mentality.
Noobs should not be scared away in the beginning of the "game" with crazy expensive gear, low level stuff should be abundant and cheap. Late game can have the same prices as we have today.

Dont you agree the game has too much of the old stuff in the game that is a noob trap, that makes noobs confused and end up quitting the game.
Many old players still struggle with the fundamentals of the game: dpp & eff. An embarrassingly large number of players can't tell the difference or what each does, what makes you think a new revamped system will be easier on the whole community?

Many old players still struggle with the fundamentals of the game: dpp & eff. An embarrassingly large number of players can't tell the difference or what each does, what makes you think a new revamped system will be easier on the whole community?
Its not a revamp of a system, its a more explaining of basic stuff.
Perhaps if ppl had a basic understanding of the game they would not complain as much and more ppl would stay and play.

What ppl need to have a basic understanding of is.
Decay of gear
Taxes
Efficency
DPP
Looter skills

If you get this in some for of quests or mission in the start with a gun, armour and a fap to hunt punies with you have a good start of becoming a player that enjoys and stays in the game.

Game dont have to give away everything that makes an avatar successful but a few basic things.

This would make ppl enjoy and stay more, less support cases for mindark and entropia to have more players playing the game.

Its not a revamp of a system, its a more explaining of basic stuff.
Perhaps if ppl had a basic understanding of the game they would not complain as much and more ppl would stay and play.

What ppl need to have a basic understanding of is.
Decay of gear
Taxes
Efficency
DPP
Looter skills

If you get this in some for of quests or mission in the start with a gun, armour and a fap to hunt punies with you have a good start of becoming a player that enjoys and stays in the game.

Game dont have to give away everything that makes an avatar successful but a few basic things.

This would make ppl enjoy and stay more, less support cases for mindark and entropia to have more players playing the game.
Game gave basic things, with loot 2.0 dev notes and many follow ups. On top of those, there are many resources explaining and some even testing these, all of the above. Most of the cases people refuse to believe... people who are curious and want to learn, they quickly find out by themselves or just ask around.. Why do you need a new start for that?

Game gave basic things, with loot 2.0 dev notes and many follow ups. On top of those, there are many resources explaining and some even testing these, all of the above. Most of the cases people refuse to believe... people who are curious and want to learn, they quickly find out by themselves or just ask around.. Why do you need a new start for that?
Yeah, why help ppl right?

I just said there are a ton of resources everywhere by both game developer and community and your conclusion is people are not given help?
But we have to understand how it is too be a new player.
You and me know where to look and ask for help, a new player dont. And the game should offer some explination of game mechanics in the game and not a thirdparty site.
The game will be more enjoyable doing missions for knowlage of the game instead of mindless grinding a mob.

I think this thread is intended as a parody of the devolution of PCF's present game design discourse, but I'll say something about the face value interpretation anyhow.

The "fresh off the boat" feeling of starting Entropia a decade ago cannot be rekindled in this way. This template of the Entropian as a colonist of genuinely uncharted territory has been most severely dampened not by the natural progression of time or because the conceptual territory of that world has been exhaustively conquered, but by the introduction and continual development of game design paradigms in conflict with Entropia's sandbox essence, paradigms which foreground narrow, top-down instantiated user experiences at the cost of subjugating organic, individual-agency-driven user experience enablers to the background. Perhaps the most visible paradigm shift is one I call "mission mania," an increasingly aggressive fixation on delivering content in "do X, get Y" format, telling the player via literal text in a pop-up window exactly what he or she is "supposed" to be doing in order to make it to the next text box instruction in the sky. Combine this with more and more items being fashioned as untradeable, increasingly strict boundaries around what actions are stated or perceived to count as exploits, upheaval of the myriad experiences players created by dropping items on the ground, and several other game design trends narrowing or backgrounding the role of the player's agency, and what you're working toward is a reduction from the genuine colonist to the Pavlovian animal subject responding to developer stimulus.

If anything, "restarting" in this way only backgrounds the long term intentions of the player even further, and foregrounds a top-down attempt to induce the colonist vibe in a self-defeating manner.

I think this thread is intended as a parody of the devolution of PCF's present game design discourse, but I'll say something about the face value interpretation anyhow.

The "fresh off the boat" feeling of starting Entropia a decade ago cannot be rekindled in this way. This template of the Entropian as a colonist of genuinely uncharted territory has been most severely dampened not by the natural progression of time or because the conceptual territory of that world has been exhaustively conquered, but by the introduction and continual development of game design paradigms in conflict with Entropia's sandbox essence, paradigms which foreground narrow, top-down instantiated user experiences at the cost of subjugating organic, individual-agency-driven user experience enablers to the background. Perhaps the most visible paradigm shift is one I call "mission mania," an increasingly aggressive fixation on delivering content in "do X, get Y" format, telling the player via literal text in a pop-up window exactly what he or she is "supposed" to be doing in order to make it to the next text box instruction in the sky. Combine this with more and more items being fashioned as untradeable, increasingly strict boundaries around what actions are stated or perceived to count as exploits, upheaval of the myriad experiences players created by dropping items on the ground, and several other game design trends narrowing or backgrounding the role of the player's agency, and what you're working toward is a reduction from the genuine colonist to the Pavlovian animal subject responding to developer stimulus.

If anything, "restarting" in this way only backgrounds the long term intentions of the player even further, and foregrounds a top-down attempt to induce the colonist vibe in a self-defeating manner.
This is all correct. Only that at some point it was discovered that enough people want it this way, and that these became the cash cows, or more politely the financial backbone of it all. It is impossible for any business to refuse that. I can relate to that there is some attraction to it, or phases when your mind likes to do such things. If money is no concern then, why not. The thing is, many people only ever see one thing and think nothing else exists. You're not compelled to do that. You can compete to climb to the top in a system of redistribution, or you can enjoy friendships and casual hunts and the scenery. It's still there, maybe drowned out by the noise too much for new players to discover. And no business incentive to push them this way.

Back