Advanced Skill System (Internal) ?

Anyone that has tested the different values we get from a skillgain, due to
what happens around the gain?
I did a very short test yesterday, to see different values depending on what
happens around a gain.
I noticed that a "low-value-gain" is a noraml single gain when mob still alive,
and best value when I did a crit with killingshot. More tests will be done as
soon as I'm in the mood to do it again... ;)
So, anyone else that has done this for a longer period of time?

Who found that ? :dance:

From all the information i've been tryin to get, i can say that mobs are carrying loots from the moment they are spawning !
A guy once, got the same global, 1 before the server crash, 1 after it rebooted, the same mob gave him the same loot, a 50 pedder or so, the 1st global wasn't showing in his inventory though..

Last edited:
Who found that ? :dance:

From all the information i've been tryin to get, i can say that mobs are carrying loots from the moment they are spawning !
A guy once, got the same global, 1 before the server crash, 1 after it rebooted, the same mob gave him the same loot, a 50 pedder or so, the 1st global wasn't showing in his inventory though..

This could also prove that it is indeed personal loot we get, he had a payout
and got it, server crashed and missed to register payout, and he got it again
after reboot... ;) But who knows? :)

This could also prove that it is indeed personal loot we get, he had a payout
and got it, server crashed and missed to register payout, and he got it again
after reboot... ;) But who knows? :)

Marco stated that everyone has the same chance factor which would help confirming my theory ;)

I see the question mark next to the number in the corns name.

It is a well known fact that every single item in EU has a unique serial number. This is how they track what spawns where and who killed what so that they know EXACTLY what they are paying to who and when they paid it. They also use these unique numbers to audit the loots at whatever interval they see fit.

Come to think of it though I haven't heard anyone talk about this fact in a long time. I can guarantee you though this is 1000% true. I can't tell you why I know its true but I can say it came from an inside source.

Marco stated that everyone has the same chance factor which would help confirming my theory ;)

And the personal too. :) If you are in "right" position in system, you might
get the global. :) You have the chance to get it but no garantuee.
He also said once about a Uber hof sometihing like "if it had been a more
skilled player who got it, it could have been larger." ;)
He has also said "skills matters, always has and always will."
IMO 99,9% of the statements are open for most theories. :)

And the personal too. :) If you are in "right" position in system, you might
get the global. :) You have the chance to get it but no garantuee.
He also said once about a Uber hof sometihing like "if it had been a more
skilled player who got it, it could have been larger." ;)
He has also said "skills matters, always has and always will."
IMO 99,9% of the statements are open for most theories. :)

For me skills has nothing to do with loots coming from a mob, hunting skills are here to help in making your weapon efficient, thing that you're thinking of are a bit too complexe and i believe would be a bit unstable..
People saying that looting times can do the difference, i dont think so, would you imagine a timer giving more or less if you loot it quickly or not ?
Still as you stated, all that R theories unless someone shows me i'm wrong i'll keep thinking the same thing :p

For me skills has nothing to do with loots coming from a mob, hunting skills are here to help in making your weapon efficient, thing that you're thinking of are a bit too complexe and i believe would be a bit unstable..
People saying that looting times can do the difference, i dont think so, would you imagine a timer giving more or less if you loot it quickly or not ?
Still as you stated, all that R theories unless someone shows me i'm wrong i'll keep thinking the same thing :p

What seems too complex if we see every part as individuals in a calculation,
might not be that when you combine info to small groups. What should have
been a very complex calculation can actually become "an easy task". ;)
(We do that IRL at my job :))
Maybe it isn't the individuall skills that makes the difference, but what they
do when they are combined... ;) I've seen it, others too, but also a lot hasn't.
Could be circumstances, but when it happens so predictably, I have my doubts. :)

That's interesting o_O
Struck my curiosity....

Yah,

Back in the day when MMOs were first being developed *grins*

The client would do a lot of the processing on the server's behalf and send the info back to the server as to the result.

It reduces the servers processing requirements having it done locally then uploaded again.

The problem is with this is that over time, people started pulling apart MMO clients and started exploiting vunerabilities.

TaultUnleashed aka XUnleashed is one good example of a scripting host that has add-ons that take advantage of such things, hence why in the current day and age, most of the client side processing is being moved back to the server side. (Most not all)

This would be one of those things that are still processed by the client ;) as the bandwidth requirement and server side processing requirements needed to track every movement and weapon fire/use in three dimensions that you do along with mob movement (including allowable mob target hit area calculations) in *real-time* to determine a hit or miss would be immense. (Keeping in midn the server would then also have to keep track of any PhysX engine adjustments to weapons fire/use also in real time, all in all, not doable with 5k + users online)

~ Sparkz

PS. As far as the skill points go, yes all successful item uses have the skill points recorded, these are then by means of the design of the way in which EU works then added to your static profile which you can see via pressing 'U'. I made a more in depth post about skills & professions if your interested here - permalink -
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/mining/97038-cga-mineral-sense.html#post1158422

All in all, nothing special uncovered here other than skillups being recorded in 4 decimal places, which would make sense for flexibility for the developers to more accuracy allocate point assignments to weapons/tools used dependent on their decay value along with progression placement on the progression scale for that item's profession.

Last edited:
The first "real"* MMORPG that I know of (Ultima Online)** consisted of a client that was (almost) purely graphical, with all important calculations being performed server-side. Eventually (due to lag issues), they did move a bit of the calculations client-side: there were just too many individual messages being passed describing the changing positions of every moving thing in the vicinity. So, they allowed the client to perform "guesstimations" of where a PC or creature should be from instant to instant.

However, these calculations must constantly be re-synced with the server. When the server and client disagree, the result is "rubber banding" -- ie, the server says "no, you're wrong, your avatar is actually still waaaaay baaack HERE!" and poof, there you are. (This is why you get RB when "sliding", btw, since the client and server disagree sometimes on whether the (buggy) sliding avatar actually went where the screen showed it going.) The only effect of this is to cause moving objects to (appear to) move smoothly across your screen. (This is also, btw, the approach taken by the early deathmatch-type programs, like Quake & Unreal Tournament. Rubber-banding was a very familiar issue for players back then. :) )

AFAIK, this is the "proper" way to do it, and all MMO's of whatever type will be using it. The point is that they all must always re-sync with the server every second (or more often), so the server is still doing all the same calculations (more or less). The only purpose is to make the game look smooth on your screen. For players with minimal lag, assuming server-client sync is pretty much always locked, it should have no effect on gameplay. The rest (of us) will get rubber-banding and missed shots due to bad aim.

As far as anything that affects loot (ie, hits on mobs), however: obviously the servers can't allow any of this client side. If they did, there would already be more than one hacked client available which simply always tells the server it's a hit, no matter what. (Yes, I know this point was made earlier in this thread, but it seems to me many ppl still don't get that.) Well, again, you can allow the client to calculate it, but the entire process then has to be re-evaluated by the server code, so there's no real gain -- in fact, it's extra overhead.

So ultimately, all I'm saying is: your client has nothing whatsover to do with deciding whether or how much you loot.

*A "real" virtual world ... I just love irony! :)
** I'm quite certain the first gen of PE programmers did their homework playing Ultima Online (from a number of things "stolen" out of UO (many of which are no longer present, like having to walk to a revive station while the screen is weirdly colored and eerie music plays (the 'OooOoOoOo' is, I believe, an exactly capitalized copy of the ghost-speech used in UO)).

NB: Sorry, I just realized this is both long and largely off-topic from the OP. Sorry, it happens sometimes. :ahh:

The first "real"* MMORPG that I know of (Ultima Online)** consisted of a client that was (almost) purely graphical, with all important calculations being performed server-side.

I guess it depends how you define MMORPG. Some of us MUDded around in black-and-white Zorkish RPGs with a bunch of other players long before UO. I also had my pathetic little trader ship wiped out countless times in Tradewars 2000 in the early '90s on a BBS...

I seem to remember some egg thingy that was discovered back then. I wonder whatever happened with that.

Skill gain amount

So far no-one discussed one aspect of screenshot: skill gain AMOUNT. Maybe because both skill increases are in different profession standings, but still. Marksmanship +0,3972 and RDA 0,3967 (if i see right). And according to Entropedia Marksmanship`s skill effect is 7 and RDA 15. But skill gains are almost identical. So what does skill effect with skill gain? Seems that they are different... Or just based on skill effect there occurs more skill gains, but same amount...
I need to watch movie myself (will download it soon and add more comments...)

I wish i knew how to gain skill too :confused:

* Lazy boy subscribes *

So i watched that movie today, sadly no more skill increases... Only in one episode hud was displayer, the one that screenshot everyone saw. About miss messages: from movie its obvious that shooting was made from first person, no auto-aim. So the yellow messages was air-shooting most probably. And one more interesting detail: in other episodes other avatars other mobs was highlighted by targeting and no ID on avatars, only on mobs.

im mabe not wrong but we can put an another variable in the code like:

+ ~ 2 hours playing + between 19h00 and 23h00 MA time) ..and of course all the other modificators on Mob ...

I pretty sure its loaded and decided when u lauch EU.

Im using WIFI connection, and my wifi key have a small led.
When i connect, i see the led shining fast for mabe 25 secondes and nothing after. i play , all is normal but sometime, during certain action the led shine a bit and my PC have some reflection too:)
The big shine is right before a global or a hof. When i kill a mob and the led shine, im sure at 99 % i will be something when i will loot it.

this is normal, just the amount of datas which are passed through the modem who are more than habitual

Ahhh the lights!

Even worked on HDDs :)

Was also a nice indicator for a green dot entering your radar in pvp. :p

why why why???

-rep

You do not need to tell me to not to bump 2 year old threads. o_o
Also it is myyyyyy thread. All mine !!!!111

This thread shall never be forgotten. Thats why I bumped it.

If you would have read it all, you would have understood my yearly bump.

Here, take some -Rep as well xD

Why does the server has to do the calculation about if you hit or not? wouldnt that be quite stupid to do it that way? due to more strain on the server..

Wouldnt it be better to just send the server avatar is aiming at mod id xx, then client gets that info and avatar presses the button to fire.. client calculates if it's a hit or not and sends the info to the server.

Also about loot.. it's generated when you loot or can be when you kill the mob aswell. What spawn might do is to give the mobs a certain modifier though and then depending on the time it get's killed or looted the final loot is decided.

And i just cant get it why those people who think loot is not based on time never get's it? it IS mainly.. timebased. I showed it and explained it a ton of times and it couldnt be made more clear how it worked when i found out.
bleh on you! :laugh:

Making assumptions isn't proof of anything.
For someone who apparently knows about programming, you seem to know nothing about programming.

*edit*
The fact you suggest client side determines a hit, is a huge indicator you know JACK!

*edit2*
Oh, old thread... seems things haven't changed... a year later, still talking like he's Marco ROFL

Last edited:
loot isnt in the mob. loot potential is in the type/maturity of mob, but not the mob itself

Back