Any plans for the Book of the Machine?

Few Scars

Marauder
Society
Freelancer
Bjorn Bjorn Longstaff
Hi Kim

Any plans for 'The Book of the Machine'? Will it have a purpose, a use to make something?

Cheers
Bjorn

Didn't Dizi need it some time ago for a mission?

There will be no more iced tea. The guy with the formula for ice died.

Was used to gain access to the RX Unit mission's and contains info that sums up the robot storyline from that time, what more do you want it to do?

To tell you the truth I am actually not familiar with that item, other than the fact that I now know that it exists!

You can see one on my alter at Echidna West property all are welcome....right next door to Skalman;)
Skalmans is worth a loot too:)
oops I wish;)

Told you, I did.

To tell you the truth I am actually not familiar with that item, other than the fact that I now know that it exists!

Does that mean your not familiar with the current progress of the rx unit story either?

Kinda worrying coming from the guy developing calypso...

Their missing chain began to explain their history and moved it forward, would be a shame to see it go nowhere

I always thought it just a souvenir, like those Diplomas. Anyway, considering the drop of the book's MU over the past year and a half since the introducing of the Prophet missions, everybody and their opalo got themselves a copy so it doesn't make much sense for MA to give it any use (and value) :).

Next VU update you'll be able to place it on your bookshelf. (j/k :laugh:)

you do know at least about the egg right?

you do know at least about the egg right?
Methinks some people that have been here more than the hoped-for 3 months may have too high hopes for Calypso maintainers.

Umm... Lazy Kim! Lazy! Garb you gun, talk to teh Mad Prophet and get on the mission trail! I'm actually 1.05 stages ahead of you - shocking!

suggestion: remove old unuseful items through an event or L bps or ..., and fragments too

Lol, here i was thinking they might still have plans for those rare items ... and it's not just the book of the machine, there are still lots of other items around that beg for some use as well: exceptional robot optical lense, exceptional robot hyper charger, genesis star com unit, ... the Dr. Almon Duchev log books, old hangar parts, hitchhiker's towel, ...

Suggestion: maybe drop some new L bps or organise an event where people can turn in rare items for something useful?

While i'm at it: why not bring a use for the fragments too? (like trade them for something useful like a gun or such, bit like the tokens) ... having 56000 blazar or nova really isn't fun anymore, my whole storage is slowly turning into fragments and there's not enough demand for them.

History is the the Key to the future :(

Lol, here i was thinking they might still have plans for those rare items ... and it's not just the book of the machine, there are still lots of other items around that beg for some use as well: exceptional robot optical lense, exceptional robot hyper charger, genesis star com unit, ... the Dr. Almon Duchev log books, old hangar parts, hitchhiker's towel, ...

Suggestion: maybe drop some new L bps or organise an event where people can turn in rare items for something useful?

While i'm at it: why not bring a use for the fragments too? (like trade them for something useful like a gun or such, bit like the tokens) ... having 56000 blazar or nova really isn't fun anymore, my whole storage is slowly turning into fragments and there's not enough demand for them.

yep... need to add to storyline... open up the orbs to allow access to a mutant 'instance' and make the entry fee be blazers. ;)

Then make the duchev logs have to be used again for some other stuff... still some stuff in some of the logs that are not in game yet... like chess game, etc. maybe the log is needed to help make the chess set? Tents? Orbs? Data Units for recording your thoughts? Tents big enough to use as medical units? Iso Chambers? Cofee that avatars can drink?

chess.jpg

tent.jpg

truck.jpg

tent.jpg

painkillers.jpg

iso_chamber.jpg

coffee.jpg

Last edited:
Umm... Lazy Kim! Lazy! Garb you gun, talk to teh Mad Prophet and get on the mission trail! I'm actually 1.05 stages ahead of you - shocking!

To expand on this - Its a very nice mission chain, and somewhat different to all of the others. There is both some more interaction with the quest giver, and the overall format - that of a sensei and disciple - is quite novel in EU. You are given a chore, and your knowledge of thing is tested, and then you are lectured. (Re-)Watch the original Karate Kid if you can't see where this is coming from. It also very much touches on Calypso, its history and status quo.

I don't really want to see a mission that would consume the Book of Machine, and would probably not do it, if there was such a mission. If there are more higher level robot missions (say by a club called "Disciples of the Prophet"), having the book of machine would be a good prerequisite to entry. Some future mission chain might add another item, leading into a collection the ownership of which confers both prestige and access to missions and mission tiers.

Another example of unused, mission-conferred item is the Operation Hammerhead Diploma. No reason there couldn't be a CDF Guest Lounge that you could only enter while in possession of the diploma. Or a Harbinger hunting instance that again, is only available to those with the diploma.

Setting condition on items, not completed pre-requisites adds resale value to those items. Also, it will broaden choices of what people can do in say 5 years time when there will be 3K missions on Calypso that few newcomers will be able to complete all of. And yes, getting > 400 new missions / year would be nice.

... No reason there couldn't be a CDF Guest Lounge that you could only enter while in possession of the diploma. Or a Harbinger hunting instance that again, is only available to those with the diploma...

You mean the CDF Ready Reserve HQ. ;-)

Unfortunately, the powers that be seem to be far more interested in being feature creatures than game masters. I recall back to my teens (Nevermind how long ago that was. I will, however, tell you that the early boxed sets had some damn ugly polyhedra dice and you needed to go buy a crayon to read 'em.) when I was a noob DM and designed a few maps for my friends to put their player characters in. Like what we see here now, those dungeons had plenty of bells and whistles, but nothing cohesive to bind the thing into an adventure.

Back