Anyone ever had to replace their gold card?

I take great care of my precioussssssss, so I never had to replace it so far!

:laugh:

I had to get a new card when I returned to the game, I had used the previous one as a handy scraping tool, and still do.

Was pretty surprised, the card and reader came within a week.

As far as the phone wiping the card, its not possible here since its is just copper and plastic.

I would guess the contacts have worn to the point that the reader cant access your code list (mini processor under the copper) within the gold card.

Magnetic strips on credit cards, some licenses, and such can be wiped by a variety of devices, if the magnetic force is strong enough and the card is close enough. But not these. Either the chip(card) is damaged, the reader is damaged, or the copper wont allow the 2 to communicate. (by the words of it, it seems like the card)

It is possible that the card was bent and the chip inside got harmed that way.

Since 2006 contact less RFID technology has been emerging for smart cards, and it would be great to see EU move to contact less cards, and even some phones can act as a reader!

Then this wouldn't be an issue for many. (

Possible Solution: Error 72

I had that error a while back. Changed the batteries and worked fine.

I noticed that the constant inserting/sliding of the card with tight contacts were "scratching" the CHIP/RFID inside. So I loosened the screws so the back-flap now hangs a bit loose, and I keep my card inserted forever - it lives inside positioned correctly on the contacts.

To generate the number, I simply PRESS/squeeze the flaps together, contact is made, and number is generated. No more wear and tear on card or reader contacts. :)

Last edited:
This problem was a good while ago, thanks everyone for the answers.

The card was dead. Completely. Had nothing to do with the reader, as it produced the same error in another reader.

A replacement card resolved the problem.

Back