Are sweaters looked down upon?

SparkyJordan

Dominant
Society
Rising Potential
Zippity Zee Wyvern
After reading a lot of discussions, I get a sense that a lot of people don't particularly like those who sweat. No one's ever said as much, but it's just a feeling. Is it one or more of the following reasons?

1. Sweaters are newbies who are annoying because they don't know what they're doing and have no idea what's going on.

2. Sweaters get in the way.

3. There are way too many and it's driving down the price of sweat.

4. They're just a bunch of cheapskates.

In response to my own queries... if #1, then it's annoyance at newbies in general, right? If #2, well it could be said that hunters get in the way of sweating. If #3, isn't that good news for those who buy the stuff? If #4, I'm guessing it's the resentment talking from those who deposited and lost everything to hunting or mining.

Is there something else? Perhaps it's the large influx of newbies that is not liked?

i dont thing that sweaters are looked down on, I think it is more that people who deposit (including me) find it hard to think their way into the sweaters situation.

For your list and my opinions about it:

1. well sweaters are mainly new people, some are sweating for along time, but i dont think that is too many that go full time sweating after their first month. Lack of knowledge is why it is fun to go to places where there is alot of sweaters. I like to be able to answer some questions once in a while :)

2. I have never had the feeling that a sweater is in my way. I generaly dont hunt in the sweating areas (talking about swamp camp, and neas at the TP) so this has never been an issue.

3. I think that this question is being pushed mainy by sweaters, I dont think that someone that never sweat but buys ME complains about the sweat price going down. The reason for this kind of posts (I have made one or two myself) is of consideration of the sweaters so that they can get as much ped as posible for thir hard work.

4. Everyone came into EU with different posibilitys for example depositing. Sweating has helped several players to be break even or profitable entropians.

In general I dont argue much with people neither here or ingame and I think that all people fills a function in this economy. without sweaters I would have to sweat myself for my ME, and I dont want to do this.

I admire those that can take the sometimes dull part of sweating for a long time, I know that I cant (tried it, gave up after a few hours).

only when they are rude. and want stuff for free more.

for the most part they are nice and hardworking people that i respect.

I look down upon those who look down upon sweaters... We all do it. It's quite a vital stage to go through as a beginner to understand the game and it's a way to get them started. I know some ubers who still sweat till today. But it's NOT the profession people are annoyed about but more the "Attitude" some new players have when they yet to learn certain etiquettes of the game.

Reactions: Fin
Sweating is a great way to get to know a little about Entopia. Sweaters in general are a great bunch, very dedicated and quite inventive. However, the barrel gets spoilt by the 'sweat revolution' 'needz pedzz pleez' 'freebiez pleaz' crowd (not only sweaters suffer from this plague, but they tend to be newcomers who sweat, and newcomers who try the things listed above.

If sweaters want to make an ingame career of sweating, good for them, but don't beat me with it when I ask why you don't deposit!!

*drunk, fed up, and bored, so forgive me if oyu feel im ranting*

I dont believe the profession can be looked down on , more than any other profession. Those that sweat past the first month must learn to get along with others , as sweating is a very close and personnal experience.

I have sweat from my first day till I maxed out my skill at level 201 after the first few weeks in the game. When they released the sweat cap I again continued to level my sweat gathering skill.

I find the dedicated sweaters mostly a polite bunch of folks , except for the occasional joke or rogue hunter that attacks the mobs being sweat , it is usually quiet and serene.

Sweating is a way to supplement the cost of skilling mindforce for myself and even when I have a full ped card from depositing , I still sweat to keep the skills rolling in.

Sweaters Rule!

Bones

I don't look down on them and actually look at some of the highest skilled sweaters in the game with awe that they could sweat so much.

Ok here is my take on it....

Most dedicated sweaters are great people and good to deal with . Hi Azrael :)

Like with anything to do with the internet when new people join everyone else is just pixels to them and they have a tendancy to be more obnoxious and rude than they would if they were standing in front of you.

After only a short time here people start to realise that your reputation is extremely important in our universe.

Because most people new to entropia sweat (admit it everyone would like to play for free) and most mentors advise their desiples to sweat first the noob attitude is seen more in sweaters than in any other proffession.

It is an intollerance of the behaviour not a hatred of sweaters that is the issue.

just my :twocents:

Echo

Its like any other professions whit pros and cons.

Imho, I dont look down on them. First when I started playing EU 4 years ago, sweating were much more harder, we could just get 3 or 4 bottles of a daikiba, yea, we could trap the mobs at those time so it was a fest sometimes.

Im a depositer, so I dont sweat anymore, I did it when I started the game cause it was a way for me to see how far I could go and to make money to see if it was for reall all that talk about RCE.

But I do have a great respect for people that sweat. Usualy its people then, 1st, dont believe in deposinting money into a "game", second most are kids wich dads wont allow them money to put into some "silly" kid game.

What I look down on certain sweaters is the way the take advantage of a hunter.

I had this lil episode on Neas, with some F avi following me around to get easy sweat from my ambus. Well, in the beggining I was cool whit that, we dindt even talked, but then she starts to drag more ambus on me. I dont have a problem whit that, I can deal whit 5 or 6 ambus from young to old at a time, the thing is that I prefer not do it, cause it will give me alot of decay.

I told her to not get to away of me if she was gonna use my mobs to sweat, she or he, dindt even bother to reply or talk to me and keept doing the same bullshit.

I let her sweat a ambu of mine, a old one, and I stop firing, ofc, the ambu l8r turned on her and she died and I keept hunting relaxed again.

The thing is, that he or she, was way North of the TP away from the general population of sweaters, so, been a smartass, and a not very polite one, I think she got whit she deserved.
Luckly, Neas, is not PvP.

Thats the thing it pisses me off, I dont even mind 1 or 2 guys around me sweating, as long they know what they are doing, I dont even mind to sometimes to heal them or even buy some sweat from them at a nice price but its when people know what they doing and understand the "agro" AI of the system.

It's not the sweaters, it's the rude noobs, who happen to also be sweaters. The rude noobs in angel armor, are worse, but they tend to get bored of killstealing SEG...and don't dome back...they have better places to blow their money, but it's sad they choose to deprive others of using the equipment they greedily squirrel away.
The rude greedy noob sweaters however (who obviously don't have anything better to do) do ruin other's reputation. The noobs with good equipment only ruin their own and their societies' reputation.

Oh, btw,

Dont think the sweaters have problems. I am a miner and I know what im saying, also, I hunt too.

I remember once, dunno who was whit me, we were taking a flight to CND and people were already gathered at the pilot´s hangar.
The pilot ask whos going to CP and to CND, and some guy, just came out whit this one:

"F...K CND, full of F...kers miners". I felt very offended. I just told into the "air" like " inst nice, that WE F....king miners can get ores to build some cool L weapons and some L amps and some cool L armors?

There u go, ofc, the guy just shut up, and went silent to CP....

Thats a problems too, people do one thing in EU and think the others that do diferent professions sux, I see alot of that when people complain about the constant globals and HoFs of crafters, but I bet most of them dont even try to see or to craft, and see how hard it is and how much money you need to spend.

When Im mining usualy if I see a hunter I try to hold on the bombs to not shake the screen, but its a 2 sides roll, cause, sometimes too, that hunter sees a miner and takes advantage of that and start to blow up the place.

Talking about respect...yea...right.....:mad:

I am a lvl 37 laser sniper and I still like to sweat, I think I have about 1038 pts (lvl 10 sweater) and it is relaxing for me. I love to hunt but I do like to sweat. Sometimes you get some noob hunters that think they own the mobs and start shooting as I am sweating. I give them a one or two time chance to stop. I carry an Isis LR53 with a E-Amp 15 and does a lot of damage. They shoot a mob with their opola about three times then I shoot it and it dies, take the loot if any and they give me the WTF????. I say don't shoot the mobs I am sweating and I won't follow you around and shoot your mobs. Works every time :). I really have had this happen only a couple of times and most everybody respects others in this game and I try to do the same.

If sweaters want to make an ingame career of sweating, good for them, but don't beat me with it when I ask why you don't deposit!!

My thought is, that *sweaters* know what it's all around. They sweat to get their income. The only common thing with sweaters and beggers is that they might be on same place and wear same kind of clothes.

People who beg probably haven't yet learned the idea. I guess that some of them have played other games where weapons, ammo and loots are essentially free.

As for freeloaders, don't forget scammers and "leeches", for instance those who invite people into a hunting team with rules such as "looter takes all" or "equal" and then don't hunt themselves. If asking a freeloader why they don't sweat, they will most likely answer "too boring".

As for negative side of sweaters, I guess there are two aspects. First, I don't mind a sweater swetating the mob I'm hunting, as long as they don't aggro other mobs, and they do it entirely on their own and on their on risk.
The second aspect is that at Neas place there is a large group of people in radar range, which can cause "lag" (for people who intend to hunt outside the "sweating area"). Though, I'd say the problems at neas are an effect of the "closure" of sweating at Camp Phoenix, or like, when MA solved the lag problem at Camp Phoenix by draining sweating, placing the turret in the middle of it, and placing a dull misty fog there, the closest successor is Neas Place.

I generally like sweaters, since im in a mentoring society.

The only thing I can think of why sweaters would be looked down upon, is the fact that they do not contribute to enlarging the loot pool. Sweaters gain their wealth with money they got from others (by selling sweat). They do not enlarge calypso's economy by depositing.

I have nothing against sweaters :sweat: or new people :acid:, only against ones who act childish :woohoo: and beg.

Are sweaters looked down upon?
By who? :dunno:
Who isn't looked down on by someone?

In fact, everybody playing computer games are looked down on by a lot of people.

I guess what you wanna know is whether the majority of non-sweaters are looking down on sweaters? (maybe?)

In that case I think the answer is 'no'.

Some interesting answers on this thread.

I think people and myself included, get annoyed with begging, whining, "heal plsz", etc type attitude from sweaters (new comers). It isn't easy starting this game out in the least little bit. I think everyone understands that and doesn't really look down on anyone. Well I am a level 25 sniper and I sweat a bit when ever I get the chance to. When I last looked I am 931 sg skill and about 8.5 in the profession.

I think we can all get along fine if we respect each other.

btw spawn good point on the loot pool. no depo can hurt the economy I am sure. I guess that is why MA makes sweating as annoying and teadious as possible to discourage it being a profession for all.:scratch2:

Thanks for sharing your story Phaser. As a neophyte sweater myself, I've never really thought about hunter/sweater etiquette. So far I've only seen newbie hunters rudely killing off critters before a sweater could get much out of it (the sweater was there first). I have yet to venture beyond where there are more seasoned hunters, so I am not sure what is the proper way to handle oneself when I am sweating around them.

This day will soon come once I get more than a couple hours at a time to play. But I certainly wouldn't want to become a nuisance to someone when I do. In Swamp Camp it's usually ok to run willy nilly with a herd of Combibos on your tail because of the safety of the turret. But if there is no turret safety, what's the best course of action? If you're about to die and there's a monster chasing you, do you run away from everyone else so as not to draw monsters upon them? I think in the heat of the moment I would run in some random direction of relative safety. What would a respectable sweater do?

Kosmos, I too find all the demanding for healing and whatnot annoying. I get embarrassed for them. If a healer is preoccupied, I just stand around and wait for time to heal me. Plenty of chats to be had while waiting, and it doesn't take that long. Some people are missing the point of the game, I think.

Why? We all do it - even irl. ;)

I absolutely do not look down on sweaters. My avatar is very short, so I usually look up to everyone. :cool:

Its been a long time now since i was out sweating,
and im greatful for the ppl who do.

I as many others use ME at a regular basis, and if i was to sweat what i consume...
well been there, done that ;)

----

Regarding how to do, this is how i learnt anyway..

If your in a group sweating a bigger mob,
DO NOT RUN!!
let it kill you, revive and get back.
This way the mob remains and can get dried out.
Maybe there is someone who can/want to kill it, (when dry ofc)
either one standing by or the one who brought it in. If you dont know -ask.
if noone kills it bring it to a turret.

When it comes to sweating hunters mobs..
Find a hunter, wait til he seems less buissie, and ASK if its ok
If he sais yes, be careful only to sweat what he shoots at and stay away from other mobs ;)
If he sais no, its a no, respect it, and move away carefully to another avatar.

-----

Personally im on a crappy pc that i have turned down all grafic to minimum to not get to laggy.
And with a sweater around i cant hunt, so i tend to move far away from ppl in generally.

But i definateley dont look down on sweaters,
i admire them their endurance in something i rather not do myself :)

I sweat, I hunt, I mine and I craft. I really don't have a problem with anybody in any profession.

What I do have a problem with are:

1. People who go out of their way to kill-steal. It's not "cool", it's not funny. It's just rude. It might happen by accident once in a while, but those who intentionally follow others around expressly for the purpose of kill-stealing... those folks just suck.

2. Unwarranted PK's - I've been shot walking around in various places while unarmed, unarmored, and totally devoid of loot (my normal means of just plain wandering). I've been shot making TP runs (took a plasma blast making Memorial Island and teleported out before another shot could be fired), and shot just hanging around the stable at Genesis (again, unarmed and unarmored). It's one thing to go PvP with someone who wants to PvP. It's just plain annoying to shoot people who have no intention of shooting back. As a matter of fact, it's pretty much as waste of ammo. Especially repeatedly.

I've met more than a few good people who've taken shots at me, realized I'm not fighting back, and stop - some of whom I still talk to/hang around often. I've also met more than a few who are simply rude about it.

3. People who insist I buy things from them, even when I've made it clear I'm not interested. I don't need your worn-out OJ's with no tt value. I don't need your broken (L)imited items. Unsolicited trade "requests" that turn into "trade demands" are wasting your time and mine.

4. Team Demands - It's been a while since I've had this annoyance - people asking/demanding to join, or that I join their teams for hunting. Now I've nothing against team hunts - they're one of the best ways to deal with strong enemies. But I don't "have" to join your team to hunt in a given area. And I don't "have" to invite you to join my team when I'm hunting a given area. Most times, if I'm hunting solo, I'm hunting things I can more than handle on my own.

Now I can say I've seen people act very badly towards sweaters - as a matter of fact, just yesterday at Nea's I was witness to this - a small group of hunters acting very badly towards those who were sweating there. It's uncalled for - unless the sweaters are intentionally trapping a mob to render it unable to be damaged, and even in such a case a simple "Hey, you're trapping it, let it go" is far more appropriate.

Conversely I've seen some bad behavior from sweaters towards hunters - there's no special prize for pulling the last sweat from a creature. If someone shoots it, don't worry about it. First off, if someone's shooting something like Ambu, they're likely burning a fair amount of ammo to do it. That's their cost, don't treat them badly for it. There's certainly no shortage of creatures.
Secondly, even if the creature can still be sweated, most times hunters aren't going to kill it in less than 12 seconds, so keep sweating until it's dead and move on - again, there's no shortage of creatures.

I can't say I've ever run into a hunter ANYWHERE who cares if I sweat what they're shooting at - the AI says that the creature will peruse whoever is inflicting damage rather than whoever is simply sweating. Though I have, from time to time, had an attacking creature turn on me because the hunter stopped shooting to heal - ok, if I can take the hit, I'll take the hit. It just means the hunter will be able to heal that much more before the thing attacks again - so no harm done.

Likewise, when I hunt, I don't care if someone wants to sweat my target - go for it. Help yourself. Don't expect me to stop shooting and let my target heal while you sweat - it's a waste of money. There's no reason to give me grief over it.

Miners - I've done my share of burying/blowing up PED, and I've never complained if someone happens to sweat something away from me, or shoot something chasing me around a claim marker - on the contrary, I rather appreciate it. Likewise, I've never met a miner who's complained when I've done the same - even if we both end up at the same forsaken outpost!

Crafters - The least likely to complain about anything. They just want to stand and click and click and click and click and... so what have they to complain about, except the occasional interruption caused by someone sneaking a mob into town.

Like the real world, Calypso has its asses too. Unlike the real world though, ass-ism is only tolerated for so long... too bad there isn't a way to ban real-life asses ;-)

Thanks for your insights Indigo. It's useful to see the perspective of other players and professions. It's valuable information for when I finally get out of Port Atlantis.

Fairy, that's good advice! I have a habit of running when low in health. I guess that kind of spoils it for everyone else. It's a habit from the standard games where dying is bad.

Spawn, another point of view I hadn't been aware of was contributing to the overall cash flow and economy of EU by depositing. I was of the mindset that depositing was the easy way, and with some extra work I could get the same results, more or less. Never thought it as somehow leeching off the society and spreading the loot pool thinner. I might actually considering throwing in some cash now and again, just so I'm not a total scab.

Spawn, another point of view I hadn't been aware of was contributing to the overall cash flow and economy of EU by depositing. I was of the mindset that depositing was the easy way, and with some extra work I could get the same results, more or less. Never thought it as somehow leeching off the society and spreading the loot pool thinner. I might actually considering throwing in some cash now and again, just so I'm not a total scab.

I disagree (with a smile) with Spawn. If no one sweats then there is no ME and no need to mine for Nexus. Hence there is no need to deposit, no matter much or how little, extra money to buy ME or minning equiment to mine Nexus. We all know, it seems, that where the big Nexus mines are located are gaurded secerets. Even in Entorpedia I have not found map locations of Nexus like I can with other ores and e-matter. Though sweaters do not depo directly I feel they cause the depo of others. Just look at all the ME that is being consumed e.g. TPing, NerveBlast, Healing, Focusing and so on. I, for one, would hate to see the sweaters stop sweating and start depoing.
NOT a rant or attack on Spawn just my thoughts.
BTW I do both and guess which one I like best:).

Btw, that wasn't necessarily my view.. just a thought on how sweaters could be looked down upon.
I respect sweaters, i began the same way.

I don't look down on them, I feel sorry for them, being tricked into this world with the (false) promise of instant $ then forced to sweat hours on end for little reward :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back