Question: Are there possibly different types of aggro which give less defense skills?

tbarmike

Old
Society
Omerta
Papa TbarMike Smurf
Do mobs have different types of aggro? If so, do these possibly give different amounts of defense skills?

Do proximity aggro and sweating aggro differ from attack aggro?

Consider the mighty Chirpy:
- If you attack one, it does nothing
- If you step on one, it does nothing
- If you sweat one, it flees quickly

With other mobs, all three actions give aggro. Chirpies used to react differently, running when attacked and standing still when sweated. I do not yet have a large enough sample to demonstrate this, yet it seems that aggro from attack gives more defense skills than sweating or proximity. Of course, EU is dynamic and often misleads. Additionally, correlation does not imply causality.

However, if so, then ninja spawns are that much more of a niusance. (And sweating is even less practical).

I am curious what others think, is there any indication that there are different types of aggro which give different amounts of skills? Could it be that sweaters and ninja spawns give less defense skills?

edit: I just read my signature. :D

Last edited:
I live on Arkadia, mainly hunting Halix and I do notice a difference in attack. When I don't attack them they can turn around to face me and 'follow me with their eyes'. This can take up to, not sure, 30-60 seconds maybe? Then they charge and attack me. When I do attack them, they are quicker to attack me. I hunt with Powerfist so that may also be a reason why I get attacked quicker then. On the other hand, it seems like the neighbours are then faster to attack me as well.
I don't sweat so I don't know about their response on that.
:scratch2::boxer::scratch2:

There is also a stationary agro where they're in attack animation but won't run toward you. Let a mob attack you, then take off in your vtol and move out of its agro range. It will still be moving like it's attacking you, and will turn to follow your position, but won't run at you.

Theres different "states": relaxed, attacking, pre-aggro (mob "has noticed" you, but doesn't move, yet), dying - each has a different animation attached to them.
Mob AI is not perfect and in some cases it changes the state, but fails to display the correct animation, i.e. when player dies or jumps into VTOL, mob state "attacking" switches to state "relaxed", aggro stops (as intended) but it keeps displaying previous, attacking animation. This is definitely a bug, but only a visual bug, thus low priority so prolly we're stuck with it forever... :)

The answer to the original question - most likely there's just one aggro. (Chirpy-type fleeing mobs don't have aggro state at all, or rather, their aggro is negative/reversed... entirely different mob AI type.)

Threre is a difference but it's related to skillgains, not the aggro itself. At some point (can't remember which VU) they changed the mob AI so that now it can give either minimal defensive skills or normal amount of defensive skills.
It starts out with "minimal", when it receives damage from player, it switches to "normal" and a timer is started. Each attack done by the player resets the timer; if there's a long enough inactivity the timer runs down to 0 and switches defensive skillgains from "normal" back to "minimal". From this point forward, no way to switch it back to "normal". I think there was some tests by ForrestPark, search PCF to read more.

And... i'm guessing using a sweating tool does not count as an attack for this timer.. (?)

Last edited:
I was always under the impression that defence skills were given relative to the damage done.
I'm almost certain this used to be the case, has it changed recently?

I also noticed that there may be some differentiation in skills gained as a consequence of you not fighting back instead allowing a mob to continually attack you, such as decreased successful hits (by mob). But this is just something I "noticed" and am uncertain of as I do not often stand still and allow mobs to hit me over and over without reacting accordingly.

I also noticed that there may be some differentiation in skills gained as a consequence of you not fighting back instead allowing a mob to continually attack you, such as decreased successful hits (by mob). But this is just something I "noticed" and am uncertain of as I do not often stand still and allow mobs to hit me over and over without reacting accordingly.

As far as I know, the only difference is that the mob stops giving defense skill gains after a while, to avoid people farming the same mob(s) for ages with a FAP on autoclick.

Back