Auction Exploit?

Pravda

Hatchling
Society
Q Entities
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I did some searches and couldn't find anything in the forums. Also I wasn't sure where to post this so it goes here :rolleyes:

I had a bid on an item, and logged on briefly this morning(3/21/07) to check the progress. I was informed that i had been outbid. I closed the little message window :( (should have done a print screen) and went to the auction to look at my bids. When I opened the auction window, the bid had disappeared altogether:)scratch2: ). It still showed another active bid I had (but was not winning). I browsed and found the item, and someone else had bid the amount that I had previously bid. In effect my bid was replaced by one of the same amount. I had logged on last night for a little while (after VU update) and my two bids were OK. Sorry for the long-winded explanation, just wanted to give all of the details.

My question is, has this happened before? If it is a new phenomenon I will file a support case. I am not concerned about the bid. I am more concerned about a possible exploit of the auction system.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and help me.
Cheers,
Pravda

Maybe the item was sold at Buyout?

someone bid the same amount you bid and it replaced your bid?

or is it possible you lagged during the bidding?

hem... do you know of buyout?
The seller can set a fixed maximus price, lest say tt+10.
If somebody bids that bid, he automatically wins the auction and get's the item...
And auction will end then...
;)

damm, late (2 times late) ;)

So before VU you were outbid but by same amount, and after VU you were the high bidder again ? If your sure you havent forgot something, raise a support case and let MA check. Covers you against the EULA and may help others if it is a bug.

Let me try to see if I understood well what has happened to you, Pravda:
- You bidded 100ped (fictional value) on FAP-001 (fictional item).
- You bidded 20ped on FAP-002.
- when you logged back in, you got the notice that you've been outbidded on FAP-001.
- in the My Bids section of the auctions, the line for FAP-001 isn't there anymore.
- looking into the Medical category, FAP-001 is still there.
- FAP-001 has a bid for 100ped by another avatar.

Is this right?
If so, please contact Support as soon as possible, providing them with all the relevant informations, like item name, approximate time, eventually even the seller's and bidder's name.
And keep us updated!

P. :smoke:

hmmm, are you sure the item you had a bid on (item 1) wasn't bought on buy-out and when you browsed the auction listings you saw a similar item (lets call it item 2) with a bid at the same amount you had bid on item 1?

:)

"This is my rifle.

There are many like it, but this one is MINE...."

Why are people talking about BO?? :scratch2:

If you read his post properly, it states that his bid was surpassed by a bid of the SAME amount and that he browsed the auction to find the item again!

Sounds like a bug mate, drop support a line :)

Thanks for the quick replies. I was the only bidder for a couple of days.. and the auction is active right now (2+ days left).

Also if you have a bid, someone can still buyout the auction?

One more detail I left out, I am a noob! :ahh: only about 3 weeks playing.

Thanks again,
Pravda

Thanks for the quick replies. I was the only bidder for a couple of days.. and the auction is active right now (2+ days left).

Thanks again,
Pravda

Well welcome to EF ;)

And yep the buyout can be met at any time and the item will become yours, it doesn't matter if there are 0 bids or 24353 bids.

Good luck out there

[...]
[...]
If the seller set both a StartBid and a BuyOut value, the item will sell when the auction time ends, or when the BuyOut is met.
The BuyOut can be met even if there are running bids on the item.
If the seller set only a StartBid, the item will sell only when the auction time ends.

Now, can you please look a few post above, and confirm if you're sure if that is what happened to you?

EDIT: Leandro's faster :)

yes, if it happened as you say, shoot support a line and let them look it over. it may be a really bad whole in the auction system. they will be able to tell you for sure, all we can do is speculate on what might have happened.

but as you describe it is sounds buggy.

Why are people talking about BO?? :scratch2:

If you read his post properly, it states that his bid was surpassed by a bid of the SAME amount and that he browsed the auction to find the item again!

Sounds like a bug mate, drop support a line :)

if you read it properly he said:
In effect my bid was replaced by one of the same amount.

:rolleyes:

Pravda:

is it the same item?

It happened as i said, however, it IS possible that another auction was posted for the EXACT same item at the exact same amounts with about the same ending time. I think that this is unlikely. for example: the auction i bid on was for a six day period for X amount and X quantity. after about 3 days another auction was posted with the same item with X amount and X quantity with a three day auction period. it is possible but i don't think so. but now i am second guessing myself.

Unfortunately I did not write down the details of the auction (seller, post time, date...etc) because i didn't think this type of thing would happen.

Thank,
Pravda

Yes definately send to support.
When i read this heres what I hear.

I bid on something.
After the VU update it's gone.

I looked it back up in auction and someone else has my bid.

Is it REALLY the same auction? Perhaps yours finished out during VU time where you were outbid and lost. Then you go look it up to find a different auction that's the same same person item price but different bidder. Remember Auction id numbers are not given to us so you can't REALLY be 100% sure. The same seller can have up several items of the exact same valus and someone would bid the exdact same as you. Only Ma would be able to tell this exactly or not.

This post in no way says you or anyone is stupid. Just that due to things we can not verify it is quite easy to mistake one auction for another if everything aligns up properly.

I am sure the auction was not due to end for two more days. Buyout is unlikely because the availablility in the auction. There are frequently similar items ending with 1 bid and tt value.

I am going to chalk it up as ending with buyout, and a new (exact same) auction posted at about the same ending time. I don't think i have sufficeint enough facts to file a support case. i wish i had done a print screen before dismissing the system message.

Is there any way to go back and look at old system messages?

If there is any new info in the matter i will add a reply to this thread.

Thanks for helping this noob,
Pravda

Sorry Pravda...
Didn't you said that the auction for which your highest bid was "replaced" had another (not winning) bid of yours in it?

If so, how could it be a new auction?

I am sure the auction was not due to end for two more days. Buyout is unlikely because the availablility in the auction. There are frequently similar items ending with 1 bid and tt value.

I am going to chalk it up as ending with buyout, and a new (exact same) auction posted at about the same ending time. I don't think i have sufficeint enough facts to file a support case. i wish i had done a print screen before dismissing the system message.

Is there any way to go back and look at old system messages?

If there is any new info in the matter i will add a reply to this thread.

Thanks for helping this noob,
Pravda

Well you knwo aproximate times dates evenwhat you were bidding on maybe even by who.

MA can look at that auction result I woudl think and tell you it got over bid or whet ever it's worth finding out you might be right and they fix a bug. this won't get you your item but you'll have a nice fuzzy feeling knowing you pointed out somethgn they need to fix and soon. }:>)

Thanks again,
Pravda

Being a noob is not really relavent here :laugh: If you bid on an item that has a buyout offered, YES someone can bid the buyout price and win the auction. Many items have an "accepted" market value. Good example are mining amps. The buyout on the OA-103 is almost always given a buyout of 148-150 PED. If the buyout is the bid, the auction is over.

[...] MA can look at that auction result I woudl think and tell you it got over bid or whet ever it's worth finding out you might be right and they fix a bug. this won't get you your item but you'll have a nice fuzzy feeling knowing you pointed out somethgn they need to fix and soon. }:>)
Plus there was (and probably is still standing) a reward for anybody who reported exploits (and exploiters), tho I don't think it was ever payed out :/

Plus there was (and probably is still standing) a reward for anybody who reported exploits (and exploiters), tho I don't think it was ever payed out :/

Angel Harness for Auction 101 exploit?

Back