Question: Avatar burnout syndrome?

uni_corn

Guardian
Society
Free as a bee flying over a tree
Silvia unicorn Hart
Hello,

while skilling up in the past i somehow noticed that when i hunt a creature excessive that i reach a point i hardly get any more skills on it.

Now after several month i did not hunt the creature i gave it another try and the skills boost again. I shot 15 ped ammo and got a boost on 8% in the profession.

Same i got with evade gain on a mob. I reached a point i hardly got evade from a mob anymore. Now after month evade gain on the mob is there again normally.

It is somehow like the avi have a burnout after some time.

Skill learning curve of avatar until it is fed up and need a brake to get better again?

Have you noticed any similar already?

I don't think so... but I do think that sometimes you hit a bunch of level gains all at once so it might seem that way, but it's not really happening that way. It's just that you are getting a lot of gains all in a short amount.

well i should explain better.

i reached a point i got almost no green messages at all anymore on the creature.

now the chatwindow is green again. there movement visible and % raise on the profession level which was not there before.

and i can say 100% i havent unlocked any new skill which could be responsible.

hmm dont know something is other now

That's how it's designed to be. Once you get over the SIB lvl range on your weapons, you need to get a new weapon with SIB for your current levels. This is minor though, the most important thing is to hunt mobs with a displayed level (L number) closer to your profession level. Should you continue to hunt the same things with the same weapons forever will bring fewer and fewer skill rewards as time passes by. The amount of spent PED is also proportional to skill gain, spend more to gain more.

Also even with linear skillgain, the skill points and profession levels are based on logarithmic functions and require exponential effort for the same absolute increase.

As for your observations, without the whole information about your weapons, armors, faps, amps and hunting areas and patterns we can't tell if it's normal or not. Did you change your gear on the same mob? Different weapons, different amps, different armor, different maturities?

I think you just hit a high/low point of skill gains at times when it made you think the mob was to blame maybe?

I vote coincidence! :yup:

I've THOUGHT I've noticed the same type of thing but never really kept track. Just seemed to slow down after a couple weeks of grinding 1 mob. And you're probably right. Skills probably do slow in order to force you elsewhere in game to keep loot cycling around. If the entire planet camped the same mob it would destroy the entire economy. Probably just part of the loot/skill system.

Menace

ye maybe some security mechanism to prevent auto skill farming.
even though external auto tools are not allow mean not that it is not possible to really use em.
not speaking of call center companies with employees who farm items in mmorpgs.

like the newcommer missions at arkadia have a security barrier of a max TT value of items per day to prevend multiple avatar creation and usage of the items to drop loot after and pickup with next avatar to cause a growth by entering the game with new avatar all the time.

the time is not worth it. better is sweating...

maybe if i have the time i try to track at what time on a mob the skillgrowth is not moving anymore.

Some angry noob -repped me for suggesting that the most skill gains are obtained when matching avatar professional level with mob displayed level. I suggest he keeps his immature impulses to himself and has a look over this:

http://arkadiaforum.com/showthread.php?3330-Skilling-on-Caraboks-L6-gt-L23-TT-return-skilling-curve

attachment.php

Those graphs do not support your assertion re hunting mobs at same level as you. The only graph showing skill gain is the bottom one. You can see that for the initial carabok setup, level gain progress per hunt was linear, even though Endy gained several levels in that time. Then when the carabok stats were changed, skill gain accelerated but remained linear for the new stats.

the graph is indeed quite nice. ty for all the work and sharing.

i also thought that skillgain was dependend on skill level, mob and such.

but now after several month beeing not on the mob my skillgain boost again on it.

not chipped out skills, not unlocked any new skills.

so it be interesting if the time factor is included in the graphs.

hunting until skillgain almost hold still and returning at a later time and look if skillgain is there again.

beside that im at a higher skill level than the graph show.

i saw this behaviour as i always look at the % raise on my current level when i hunt. like every 10 minutes i look into that while i do things.

so i saw that i had no raise of level. and now it raise again.

Last edited:
I've never seen any evidence that camping the same mob causes a decline in skill gain rate, but I've never seen a study of it either.

Interesting graphs regarding the change of stats of a mob. However, I'd imagine it was a change made specific to the mob, not its level. Certainly I'm hunting mobs that have a much higher Lx level than usual for me at the moment, and I see my normal profession level gain rate at the moment of about 2% of a pro-level per 500 PED ammo.

What I don't understand about the graph is why there is no change in trajectory when he hits Lvl10 Laser Sniper. At this point he should get a boost in prolevel gain rate from unlocking Marksmanship.

I've had days where my screen is full of green text others hardly any just like loot ;)

And I've been camping one mob for months now and the same thing applies, just moving areas helps sometimes.

well i should explain better.

i reached a point i got almost no green messages at all anymore on the creature.

now the chatwindow is green again. there movement visible and % raise on the profession level which was not there before.

and i can say 100% i havent unlocked any new skill which could be responsible.

hmm dont know something is other now

Simple. Over use of same weapon.

Now I skill most things, Laser rifles, handgun, melee swords, power fists, Mf chips you name it.

On the other side of the coin, if I skill electric and switch to gun two days later, the "green" skill gain will fill the screen. Now at my level I wil probably get a hour or two before the skill gain switches off to next to nothing. (same as you've experienced)

So lesson is change is good.

I know what I see, even if other avas opperate differently.

Good luck

Rick.

In my opinion the only thing that matters for skill gain is ped burnt. I have camped the same mobs for 30-40 hours without switching and seen no decrease in skilling.

You can see that for the initial carabok setup, level gain progress per hunt was linear,

Yeah.... linear... my definition of linear is a bit different than yours. The profession increase is not linear nor is the skillpoints increase. The point was that when the new carabok matched the player's level closer, the skillgain was in an increased zone again, slowing down ad the player leveled up away from the mob level. Or maybe not. A similar test is needed for other mobs.

In my opinion the only thing that matters for skill gain is ped burnt. I have camped the same mobs for 30-40 hours without switching and seen no decrease in skilling.

ah ok that should be maybe close to normal.

i have been on a mob for like 4 weeks up to 12-14 hours per day.

you should see that when you reach some point that you spend same amount ped on a hunt like always but the % on your pro level dont raise really anymore.
You can also use the jdegre skill scanner to scan your skills before and after a hunt. you see then that the skills you get are less after some time.

Nope never noticed that. I don't usually track skills (since they don't go up in a linear fashion) but my professional levels seem to go up quite regularly no matter what I am doing.

However, what I did notice is that my evade suddenly slowed down at level 20. It got so slow that in the time it took for it to go from 21 to 21.3 or so, paramedic went from 15 to 20.

I am curious if you noticed loot changes in tandem with skill gains.

There is the natural degradation of gains as you grow in skill , but I do think there is something else directly related to this observation. Like Rick, I use many weapons per hunt and seem to notice differences.

I would not be surprised if long term (4 weeks as OP did) hunting degrades the skill gain curve, especially when they added missions promoting this play-style. They give skill rewards to boot, with more value for those who take their time, perhaps. Since they wont degrade in gains as much? .....more theory to throw out there anyhow. :eyecrazy:

It seems to me:

when skill gains are great, loot is a little poor.

When skill gains are not so great, loot seems better.

The longer you hunt the better the loot. (generally, mainly thru the amount cycled being higher)

I believe the 2 work together for your total return over time to be a better average than most calculate. Oversight is something I am sure MA has to deal with in some manner, and they would need to show a higher average on paper to comply with their own statements regarding cost to play.

Also, you wont hear nearly as many complains when loot is over 100% or skill gains aren't as high, compared to the "my loot sucks" complaints. So most people wouldn't even consider this to be a factor in game play efficiency.

This is a good question and observation, worthy of looking into.

Two comments from the peanut gallery:
First, the amount of skill gained and the number of green messages aren't necessarily directly proportional, or at least they weren't a few years ago.
Second, you need to be careful that you are comparing skill volume (tt) gain over time, not skill level gain over time. This is because it takes more volume to increase the level as the level gets higher, and also because in addition to constantly increasing, the amount (volume) that it takes to increase one level fluctuates up and down as a sine wave with level. Because of the latter, you will note that it seems to progress especially slow before you reach even thousands of skills (for example to go from 4950 to 5k is a lot slower than 4700 to 4750.

If you are already considering skill volume (tt) gain and not level, disregard.
:)
ETA: Here, i dug out my old plot from when we were making the original correlation:

Last edited:
Back