Bandwidth Problem

Xealest

Hatchling
Society
Freelancer
Edren Xealest Khorr
k then, so Im using a 6000kbps cable internet connection, but for some strange reason I cant log in if my connection speed module is any more than 128kbps, what the yo? Is this a common problem? Someone please help

lag on your internet connection or latency, ping some sites see what your latency is like

ping times

yahoo = 75ms
google = 46ms
www.entropiaforum.com = 66ms

these arent bad, and cnet gave me a score of 2256kbps while I was dling mass amounts of other things, I just dont get it

how very odd, trying pinging the EU serverink it was rc.project-entropia.com from memory ( I could be wrong someone might know the correct answer)

if it's slow do a tracet route (tracert) and see where it slows down if it does

I know some ISP's have a slow International Pipe and this can be the cause of many issues, but not sure in your case.

ummmm, from rc.project-entropia.com I get no response from the ping

and holy shite, my tracert is all over the map....and at the 19th hop it stops...CRAP

Last edited:
Xealest said:
ummmm, from rc.project-entropia.com I get no response from the ping

and holy shite, my tracert is all over the map....and at the 19th hop it stops...CRAP

rc.project-entropia.com or 217.212.241.241 doesnt answer to ping, so that is correct. The trace route should stop at s-hdn-i3-link.telia.net [80.91.249.69] as it does it here too. I am having no trouble though.

I dod indeed get the same reading

and why cant I say p h o t o b u c k e t? but spaced together?

http://img.photo bucket.com/albums/v457/Xealest/sandra.jpg
http://img.photo bucket.com/albums/v457/Xealest/tracert.jpg
remove the spaces

Last edited:
Xealest said:

This is just a word filter, to encourage you to use the Forum Gallery, to prevent red Xs in the future. Just click this link, then upload, then when upload is complete, copy the thumbnail address and paste it in here :)

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/index.php

Xealest said:
I dod indeed get the same reading

http://img.photo bucket.com/albums/v457/Xealest/sandra.jpg
http://img.photo bucket.com/albums/v457/Xealest/tracert.jpg
remove the spaces

But use the setting at 128kbit then, it makes no difference if you have it set higher anyway. Not that I have noticed anyway.

actually, if I set my connection speed to 128kbit-isdn as you say, then that tells the server to send me smaller data packets...and smaller data packets means slower connection. I dont want to play a game made in a broadband world over a narrowband conection, it lags.

My internet connection will handle packets with a size of 1500bytes with 0% data loss, an isdn connection sets the packet size to 128-256bytes, you can see the performance loss im getting, and I refuse to "just deal" with the lag

(smaller data packets do not ALWAYS mean slower connection speed, but in an mmorpg setting its a huge help to have larger packets)

Last edited:
The problem is with your ISP then. Probably they don't deliver the badnwidth that they promised.

I just tested both lowest and highest setting and didnt notice any difference at all.

Ive done several bandwidth tests (SiSoftware Sandra, CNet, TCPOptimizer, etc...) My bandwidth is just fine, plus this computer does the same thing on a T3 connection. Im just going to assume that Im not going to get any help with this so Ill just do other things, thanks anyway.

well if the computer does the some issue on a different connect, then you have found your issue, the computer, maybe?

It only does it to Entropia, and I play many many mmorpgs

Remember that since internet communications in things like on-line games are highly bi-direction the signal propogation latency plays huge role. While you might saturate your incoming traffic with 6Mbit/sec data stream without sending any acknowlege the other way. With TCP, which uses highly efficient algorithms to determine how much packets to send without getting confirmation from the reciever you will get only like 90% utilisation on low-delay networks like fast ethernet. EU and many other online-games use UDP for sending real-time data for performance sake. UDP does not have any fancy auto-regulation features for redundancy and streamed transfers performance like TCP has. Get a microsecond precision ping and ping other side with your MTU size packets. Divide your packet size on the round-trip delay. You will get your worst-case bandwidth when you have to acknowlege each packet. (For example i get like 64Kbit/sec to EU servers this way on 1.5Mbit/sec channel). Also your evil ISP might run traffic shaping on some types of traffic which means even more delay than for ping command (which uses ICMP protocol) and more packet loss (because traffic shaping works by dropping excessive packets!)

Pham said:
Remember that since internet communications in things like on-line games are highly bi-direction the signal propogation latency plays huge role. While you might saturate your incoming traffic with 6Mbit/sec data stream without sending any acknowlege the other way. With TCP, which uses highly efficient algorithms to determine how much packets to send without getting confirmation from the reciever you will get only like 90% utilisation on low-delay networks like fast ethernet. EU and many other online-games use UDP for sending real-time data for performance sake. UDP does not have any fancy auto-regulation features for redundancy and streamed transfers performance like TCP has. Get a microsecond precision ping and ping other side with your MTU size packets. Divide your packet size on the round-trip delay. You will get your worst-case bandwidth when you have to acknowlege each packet. (For example i get like 64Kbit/sec to EU servers this way on 1.5Mbit/sec channel). Also your evil ISP might run traffic shaping on some types of traffic which means even more delay than for ping command (which uses ICMP protocol) and more packet loss (because traffic shaping works by dropping excessive packets!)

woot! pham! I am impressed! :D If you where I girl I'd be horny for you now :laugh:

thanks Pham, good reminder of the corporate bs thats coming to the internet, my isp is indeed shaping my connect...and I remedied the situation

Back